• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Milly79

So I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to play my Assassin as a DPS. It's not that I think the tank nerf is that terrible, I just want to try the other roles. My ideal for the class is something like a Concealment operative - the ability to pounce on an isolated target in PvP from stealth and destroy it. They're glass cannons, so the burst needs to be really significant, and I've found it just isn't there if I have 31 points in Deception. If I try to pounce on someone they can just turn around and murder me. Either there's something really obvious I'm doing wrong, or the stacking dots in Madness would simply suit my playstyle better.

Madness is pretty fun, but I really don't like playing melee. There is a guy that puts up good numbers with it in my raid group.

Heysoos

Anyone know the deal with diminishing return when farming mobs? I'm going hunting for my 1.3 look, but it seems I have to farm this boss for it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Just hit 12 on my Chiss Gunslinger on prophecy of the 5. I think that makes him the highest repub char I've ever had.

mainframe

Neo Member
the one thing i heard about gunslingers is that its very repetitive. But high in dps

Scoundrel from what I here kinda mixes that up and its somewhat "Gimmicky" to play. Not the standard sit from range and shoot.

UltraMav

I've played Scoundrel since launch, and if you like melee combat and don't mind the "upper hand" mechanic, it's a lot of fun.

Gunslinger is super boring for me, at least in a PvE setting, haven't tried it in PvP.

Heysoos

I have no idea what to do with my Commando. :( The class got so fucked, and it wasn't even anywhere being OP in my opinion. Sure, Grav Spamming in PVP was annoying, but it was so easy to shut down... Plus the whole fucking tree basically revolved around grav round in order to set up everything else. Basically bottom of the barrel class, in both specs. Heals they're no where near as godly as a Scoundrel healer and DPS wise, well it's just pathetic in PVP.

On the bright side they have by far the best looking War Hero set. They actually look like troopers instead of a cheap knockoff power ranger toy like my Sentinel. :/

CzarTim

I have no idea what to do with my Commando. :( The class got so fucked, and it wasn't even anywhere being OP in my opinion. Sure, Grav Spamming in PVP was annoying, but it was so easy to shut down... Plus the whole fucking tree basically revolved around grav round in order to set up everything else. Basically bottom of the barrel class, in both specs. Heals they're no where near as godly as a Scoundrel healer and DPS wise, well it's just pathetic in PVP.

On the bright side they have by far the best looking War Hero set. They actually look like troopers instead of a cheap knockoff power ranger toy like my Sentinel. :/

As requested:
Jy07c.jpg

Milly79

Try the pyro equivalent for commando? I switched my merc to it and its much more fun than tracer spam. Watching some pvp vids for it and they put up dece #s

Dunlop

Healers are okay, so long as they're geared properly,

Are you talking only about PVP?

In PVE the Sage (or Sorc) still does not have a class that comes remotely close to the heals and overall utility.

Running all sage/sorc healers would still be the ideal choice which is just poor design by Bioware that this is still the case

The reaming of my BH healer and shit like (the question was about smart heals) :

Austin: So far, this hasn't fallen into the category of gameplay we want to change. All AOEs prioritize targets closer to the center of that AOE, so a better aimed Revivification or Kolto Bomb will yield better results.

Your sage will get a purdy huge AOE heal that will do up to 8 people.

I benched my BH, made a sorc and never looked back

Heysoos

Try the pyro equivalent for commando? I switched my merc to it and its much more fun than tracer spam. Watching some pvp vids for it and they put up dece #s

I tried Pyro but it just doesn't have anywhere near the burst killing power of an Assault Vanguard. The numbers are just kinda of padded with no real killing power. If that makes any sense.

Yeah sorry, PVP. I sort of figured that's what he meant when talking about an OP class. :p

Draxal

Problem with Assault is that the tree works better for Pyros/Vanguards, playing that spec makes you want to reroll into a pyro/guard (at least for me).

Heysoos

Problem with Assault is that the tree works better for Pyros/Vanguards, playing that spec makes you want to reroll into a pyro/guard (at least for me).

Yeah... I'm hoping it might some day be brought up to the level of a Vanguard, kind of how they did with the Focus shared tree for Guardians and Sentinels. But I'm expecting way too much.

Draxal

Yeah... I'm hoping it might some day be brought up to the level of a Vanguard, kind of how they did with the Focus shared tree for Guardians and Sentinels. But I'm expecting way too much.

Well they did buff Target Lock a ton, going from 3 accuracy rating to 30% armor pen on high impact bolt and full auto. But I'm not sure it's enough, game punishes cast times a bit too much overcome it.

Tarazet

They are giving it some armor penetration in 1.3 to help close the gap. That said, Pyro Mercs still do far more damage in PvP than they do in Arsenal. In PvE, though, I never see anything but Arsenal Mercenaries. The armor debuff is hugely useful to raid groups.

Tarazet

Ugh cant decide, Gunslinger or Scoundrel

Gunslinger: once you get to level 50, spec Sharpshooter, grind out to full Battlemaster gear, and get the rotation down so pat that you don't need to think about it, you are an unstoppable force of nature. And, as DPS go, very durable and hard to kill too. Leveling up you will die a lot, just like any other DPS. You're a sitting duck caster class, and if you get knocked down out of cover, you are going to die.

Scoundrel: takes an extremely high skill level to play, fussy, but has an impressive set of tools. Easy to level in PvE due to stealth, painfully bad to level in PvP. Still has some very powerful hybrid builds: Sawbones/Dirty Fighting work very well together. Keep your heal over time on yourself proc'ing Upper Hand regularly, and Blaster Volley everything in sight for a billion.

In PVE the Sage (or Sorc) still does not have a class that comes remotely close to the heals and overall utility.

Running all sage/sorc healers would still be the ideal choice which is just poor design by Bioware that this is still the case

The reaming of my BH healer and shit like (the question was about smart heals) :

Your sage will get a purdy huge AOE heal that will do up to 8 people.

Would disagree, currently I beleive the best combination to have for end game ops is a Sorc healer for the AOE's and as you said utility and an OP healer for extreme spike damage/ survivability and general healing to a mobile group.

Toth and Zorn the DPS are spread out plus when the melee are following their guy around its best to have the OP healer on them, for the tanks the healer running on the ground should definetly be the OP healer as they can drop their probes to heal while being mobile and dodging spikes and missiles.

Jarg and Sorno is much easier with an Op healer as well due to the fact that the tanks take a lot of high spike damage in this fight and you have the death from aboves raining down meaning its good to have mobility, list goes on.

Merc healers do seem especially poor at the moment so I can see why you benched yours

Transferred to Red Eclipse last week, and the change is... startling. I can PvP when I want (not just when the 8-12 regulars on the Imp side want to). Fleet is packed. GTN is actually useful. It's like SWTOR, but an MMO. It's all pretty good.

The *standard* of PvP on Red Eclipse is now terrible though. On the one hand this is good, because when I go in a premade with 2-3 others from my guild we can usually force a win (there are a few good teams on the 'pub side too, a couple from our server). On the other hand it's bad because I'm fairly often stuck with a PUG who don't know what expertise is, or which way to hold a blaster.

The forced name change was awesome, because I'm a healer and I no longer spend the entire match being focused by the same two sentinels.

Secretly pleased that the brutality of PvP on our dead server has paid off.

Draxal

Origin Server --> Destination Server

NA Server
Shii-Cho --> Jedi Covenant
Thana Vesh --> Corellian Run
ICE Breaker --> Corellian Run
Colonel Tobin --> Corellian Run
Crevasse City --> Corellian Run
Mind Trick --> Corellian Run
Sith Wyrm --> Corellian Run
Darth Bandon --> Corellian Run
Tarro Blood --> Corellian Run
Anturi Reach --> Corellian Run
Firaxan Shark --> Corellian Run
Darth Malak --> The Fatman
Belgoth's Beacon --> The Fatman
Space Slug --> The Harbinger
Vornskr --> The Harbinger
The Jekk'Jekk Tarr --> The Harbinger
Zakkeg Beast --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
Hyperspace Cannon --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
Veeboo Lunx --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
Darth Sion --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge

European Server (English)
Luka Sene --> The Red Eclipse
Frostclaw --> Nightmare Lands
Hidden Beks --> Nightmare Lands
Dune Bantha --> Nightmare Lands
Hydian Way --> Nightmare Lands
Bacca's Blade --> Nightmare Lands
Peragus Mining Facility --> Nightmare Lands
Bao-Dur --> Nightmare Lands
Sith'ari --> Nightmare Lands

European Server (German)
Sith Triumvirate --> T3-M4
Force Harvester --> T3-M4
Exar Kun --> T3-M4
Supreme Commander Stantorrs --> T3-M4
Odacer-Faustin Academy --> T3-M4
Lenico Gargantuan --> T3-M4
Darth Andeddu --> T3-M4

Transferred all 8 chars, lost the 5 names, but kept the legacy one which was the most important.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Not surprised they have more Fatman transfers but no more P5. P5 actually had a higher population than fatman all weekend, from what I saw.

ZetaEpyon

Wow, Corellian Run is a destination! I get to keep my legacy and guild name? Nice!

Having not seen any mention until now, I was beginning to fear the worst.

Heysoos

Not surprised they have more Fatman transfers but no more P5. P5 actually had a higher population than fatman all weekend, from what I saw.
Which kind of makes sense. One of reasons Fatman was so big was because a lot of them were rerolls. Once people got transfers I'd wager a lot of them returned to their old toons.

Won

Yay my server is a Destination Server. I guess my characters and names are safe till the F2P thing happens.

Kem0sabe

Don´t forget you can transfer your character even if you don´t have an active account. I just logged on to the account page and proceeded to transfer around all my characters, even tho i haven't had an active account for months.

aett

Ugh, four new servers are merged into Drooga's Pleasure Barge, but not the one I wanted (The Jekk'Jekk Tarr). Guess I'll have to remake my Operative on Drooga if I want her in my legacy. I guess level 27 could be worse, but I'm so sick of Dromund Kaas and Balmorra.

Anoregon

Don´t forget you can transfer your character even if you don´t have an active account. I just logged on to the account page and proceeded to transfer around all my characters, even tho i haven't had an active account for months.

Oh wow, really? It explicitly says on the transfer page that you need an active account. that's good to know, I'll pass it along to some of my anchorhead buddies who no longer have active subs just in case they ever come back and want to play in P5.

Oh wow, really? It explicitly says on the transfer page that you need an active account. that's good to know, I'll pass it along to some of my anchorhead buddies who no longer have active subs just in case they ever come back and want to play in P5.

Yea players with no active sub have been able to transfer according to the account pages.

Giolon

Well, moved over to Drooga's Pleasure Barge from Hyperspace Cannon. If you're there, look me up. I'm Da'ru on Republic Side. We also have a casual raiding guild "Droids You're Looking For" if anybody is looking for a new home. We have openings for Healers, Tanks and even a DPS or two at the moment. Cleared all of EV & KP HM, half of KP NMM, and all of EC Story.

Alur

wait, what?
no we don't...

our only stun is on a 1min CD and stuns us as well...

How does Intimidating Roar stun you as well? I must be missing something you are referring to here...but Tarazet, the marauder/jugg AOE stun also breaks on damage (unless there's a talent I don't know about)

Draxal

How does Intimidating Roar stun you as well? I must be missing something you are referring to here...but Tarazet, the marauder/jugg AOE stun also breaks on damage (unless there's a talent I don't know about)

Enosh was talking about force choke. I think there's something buggy about the intimidating roar animation (crying on the ground) that makes it so the player isn't as responsive coming back from that as compared to the other aoe blinds. I haven't pvped since 1.1 though so they probably fixed that problem.

Enosh

it doesn't, but it isn't a stun either...
it's a maze, just like the blind he was talking about

as a further point I gave an example of a stun we do have and the drawback to it

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well, started the big move to Corellian Run. Lost only 1 of my names despite not having any characters saved there so it's not so bad. Being the guild master means I have a fair bit of work ahead of me but it was nice seeing almost 200 people on the fleet in the middle of the afternoon and over 100 (!) people PVPing. The most I ever saw at any time on Sith Wyrm was 3 matches going on.

Top Bottom