• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Draxal

Well, started the big move to Corellian Run. Lost only 1 of my names despite not having any characters saved there so it's not so bad. Being the guild master means I have a fair bit of work ahead of me but it was nice seeing almost 200 people on the fleet in the middle of the afternoon and over 100 (!) people PVPing. The most I ever saw at any time on Sith Wyrm was 3 matches going on.

What's your name on this server? I had to change my main to Traxal, and the last person from the guild just unsubscribed because he lost all of char names and renamed the wrong character the wrong name due to that weird name changing priority rename prompt.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What's your name on this server? I had to change my main to Traxal, and the last person from the guild just unsubscribed because he lost all of char names and renamed the wrong character the wrong name due to that weird name changing priority rename prompt.

Still B'ahn. The only one I lost was actually Bahn, even though I've always used the ' in the name since SWG and he was just a level 1 I had reserved the name with originally so I'm not really upset.

Heysoos

Would just like to point out, in regards to the previous conversation, that Sentinel/Marauder AOE stuns breaks on damage too.

If it's caused by the prompt thing probably can call up customer service to get the correct name restored.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wee, hit 16 on my Gunslinger and got my ship. Eat shit, Skavak!

HBroward

We cleared the minefield in hardmode EC tonight in Elite Empire, and got to the last phase of the Kephess battle. That huge purple circle he puts down after pulling everyone in is devastating in hardmode, I had over 20k health, and popped cover probe and evasion and still couldn't live to make it out before dying, it's insane. I have no clue how we could survive that, sniper needs some of that force speed, or a segway or something.

We cleared the minefield in hardmode EC tonight in Elite Empire, and got to the last phase of the Kephess battle. That huge purple circle he puts down after pulling everyone in is devastating in hardmode, I had over 20k health, and popped cover probe and evasion and still couldn't live to make it out before dying, it's insane. I have no clue how we could survive that, sniper needs some of that force speed, or a segway or something.

You squishy snipers :p

I made it out alive (with like 300hp left)

Tarazet

Save your Ultimate Medpac for that moment? I dunno. It's clear that EC in general is stupid hard.. even story mode is harder than KP Nightmare.

I resubbed today after letting my sub lapse in Feb. when school started ramping back up. I'm pretty pleasantly suprised; transferred my 50 Sage over to Shadowlands, and then started a Merc/Sniper duo with a buddy of mine. It's been pretty smooth sailing, and I really like the little features and additions that they've added since I left. Match-to-Chestpiece, Legacy Perks, UI changes; it's all great.

It's definitely nice being in a high-pop server though. Going from ~60-70 people on the Station in Feb to ~300+ really adds a lot of life to the game.

Milly79

Save your Ultimate Medpac for that moment? I dunno. It's clear that EC in general is stupid hard.. even story mode is harder than KP Nightmare.

It is super fucking hard. Bioware really needs to learn how to not overtune stuff to be so hard. I'd imagine it's even hard for the super awesome top PVE guilds in the game. It's cool to make it tough, but at least give some leeway in the process.

Lol, in the video I just watched they just stand in the middle of the purple circle, drop a ballistic shield and take the damage (in the descritpion he states that the purple circle phase has changed and you need classes with defensive cooldowns, they have like 3 marauders in their group at least)

HBroward

Yeah, I use a rakata, so that would heal about 4k, which would be just enough to make it outside with 3000 or so left probably, if I don't have to use it prior to that.

Lol, in the video I just watched they just stand in the middle of the purple circle, drop a ballistic shield and take the damage (in the descritpion he states that the purple circle phase has changed and you need classes with defensive cooldowns, they have like 3 marauders in their group at least)

So basically we need two sorc heals to pop circles, and save at least one ballistic for that also. It would still be crazy, even the 20% reduction from ballistic shield would leave the group pretty damn low. Can't wait to try again some time, but that damage was insane.

Yeah, I use a rakata, so that would heal about 4k, which would be just enough to make it outside with 3000 or so left probably, if I don't have to use it prior to that.

So basically we need two sorc heals to pop circles, and save at least one ballistic for that also. It would still be crazy, even the 20% reduction from ballistic shield would leave the group pretty damn low. Can't wait to try again some time, but that damage was insane.

Nope just found another video, they had the tanks holding him against a wall, when they knew they were gonna get pulled everyone but the tanks got into the entrance doorway and kephess couldn't pull them towards him

Also big one here for you, Yooni and Kaz, I saw the sniper entrenched (the thing where the second high shield comes down over their heads?) and he wasn't pulled in!

Were gonna own this tonight and tomorrow.

Have a look for yourselves guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqaz1n7aDI

It is super fucking hard. Bioware really needs to learn how to not overtune stuff to be so hard. I'd imagine it's even hard for the super awesome top PVE guilds in the game. It's cool to make it tough, but at least give some leeway in the process.

I think they made it extremly hard as they knew they weren't adding any more content for a while, nothing in 1.3 and obviously 1.4 is a way off yet, what are we gonna do when we beat EC hard tomorrow? There will be no challenges left!

Milly79

Nope just found another video, they had the tanks holding him against a wall, when they knew they were gonna get pulled everyone but the tanks got into the entrance doorway and kephess couldn't pull them towards him

Also big one here for you, Yooni and Kaz, I saw the sniper entrenched (the thing where the second high shield comes down over their heads?) and he wasn't pulled in!

Entrenched, yep. Dps seemed better as well in the video and they had that merc off healing which probably helps. Oh well, we'll get it eventually.

He does the purple circle at around 60% life so we just need to be ready for it, I think our heals will be fine when we get Diabolica back so we wont have to worry.

Seems the AOE attack from the walker is a set pattern as well so we probably need to get into the pattern so we avoid as much damage as possible.

Also if you remember if you want to let someone else get some campaign gear it will probably make the fight even easier :p

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So PVPed all night with never more than a 2 min wait for a queue to pop. Went to the Black Hole and managed to get a group together for the heroic in less than 2 mins. Sold something on the GTN about an hour after I listed it. Logged in on one of my low level alts and there was a decent amount of people on the lower level planets.

This feels like a second launch to me.

You'll get a shot tomorrow, until we get to the tanks.

That offhand has my name written all over it ;)

Todays patch notes:

1.2.7b Patch Notes
6/19/2012
General
In order to improve overall performance, the maximum number of simultaneous players on the Imperial and Republic Fleets has been decreased

Gripping stuff..

Draxal

If it's caused by the prompt thing probably can call up customer service to get the correct name restored.

He tried calling customer service and got them after an hour and they told him he had to make an ingame petition to handle it, and he just got frustrated and said he didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Sigh, we're never getting regular "meaty" weekly updates again are we? :(

Well, I'm probably the biggest critic of the game right now that still plays/post, but even I can admit that they were really busy with ptr and the transfers going on right now.

UltraMav

We never really did in the first place.

Eh, the first few months had pretty substantial updates. I'd say all the way up to right before 1.2. Perhaps not HUGE, but they tweaked balance issues and things of that nature more. Of course it could be that they just don't feel like they need to be doing that on a weekly basis at this point.

Well, I'm probably the biggest critic of the game right now that still plays/post, but even I can admit that they were really busy with ptr and the transfers going on right now.

Good point.

HBroward

Wow, they got the walker to 50% the first phase, they have to be way more geared, and our mara maybe wasn't using his bloodthirst or whatever it's called. That is pretty insane dps for sure. That's about 25% more than we were putting out last night. Actually, looking at that vid, they had a couple mercs, and that video is almost 2 months old, was that before the change in the mercs stacking abilities? I just can't see that kind of damage happening otherwise.

Wow, they got the walker to 50% the first phase, they have to be way more geared, and our mara maybe wasn't using his bloodthirst or whatever it's called. That is pretty insane dps for sure. That's about 25% more than we were putting out last night. Actually, looking at that vid, they had a couple mercs, and that video is almost 2 months old, was that before the change in the mercs stacking abilities? I just can't see that kind of damage happening otherwise.

Think they did it just on verge of the patch where Merc DPS fell off.

Also apparently you sold the mods and armorings and stuff I need, you are forthwith dead to me!

markatisu

That offhand has my name written all over it ;)

Todays patch notes:

1.2.7b Patch Notes
6/19/2012
General
In order to improve overall performance, the maximum number of simultaneous players on the Imperial and Republic Fleets has been decreased

Gripping stuff..

After what I dealt with last night with over 300 people on the Fleet I am glad they are doing this.

It has been insane since they allowed transfers, I have never enjoyed waiting in a queue to login and I was already on a server that had a decent population most of the time.

HBroward

Think they did it just on verge of the patch where Merc DPS fell off.

Also apparently you sold the mods and armorings and stuff I need, you are forthwith dead to me!

I'll have way more then you need by the time you are even close to 50, don't worry! But they sold pretty damn fast on the GTN when I had them each for 45k. I bet they would sell even higher than that! But you'll get yours! I just have this debt to Camlost I'm working off, only 1.3 million to go.

Edit: New info on Ranked Warzones here! Also, group persistence has been added on the PTS, so no more having to regroup! And they are adding a solo ranked queue option in a future update, so you don't have to have a full 8 to queue.

Heh, last character on the old server went in to clean out guild bank stuff, and I was only person on fleet. Server never was that bad off either, even during crappy hours there would be at least 40-50 ppl on it.

They need to eventually close down these old empty servers or shut down character creation till they can eventually do forced merges

I wonder how much overhead they would save by shutting down say half of those now empty servers. Enough to change how many subscriptions they'd need to be profitable?

StudioTan

In this interview with James Ohlen he's saying that the server transfers aren't the final stage in how the population will be handled. Maybe this mega server tech is still something they're working on?

In this interview with James Ohlen he's saying that the server transfers aren't the final stage in how the population will be handled. Maybe this mega server tech is still something they're working on?

Well cross server pvp was talked about a long time ago so that is coming prob, and if they get that going, perhaps cross server pve stuff as well will be able to follow eventually. They also probably will do forced mergers eventually as well to get rid of all those extra servers.

Tarazet

I did HM Lost Island twice yesterday. First time, I was tanking with a PUG. We wiped for an hour on the first boss because everyone kept dying on the last phase. Second time I was DPS'ing with guildies and we finished the whole thing in an hour. We beat Doctor Lorrick on the first try. The difference in skill level between PUG's and top players is astounding.

I did HM Lost Island twice yesterday. First time, I was tanking with a PUG. We wiped for an hour on the first boss because everyone kept dying on the last phase. Second time I was DPS'ing with guildies and we finished the whole thing in an hour. We beat Doctor Lorrick on the first try. The difference in skill level between PUG's and top players is astounding.

It's not really skill level, it's that LI is very unforgiving in it's difficulty and requires alot of coordination. It's really hard to coordinate with randoms. All the other FP's can be run by random groups just fine, but LI is just tough. Most randoms have never completed LI, you need communication.

HBroward

In regards to Ranked possibly being delayed due to lack of testing, Joveth had this to say:

Hey folks, Joveth Gonzalez here. Some of our blogs are written well ahead of their publishing date and this blog is one of them. When Gabe wrote this, it was just before we opened up PTS. We have had significant testing since then with the many characters that we have already copied over.
Edit: We have removed that line from the blog to avoid any further confusion.

Tarazet

I think it's in for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if it's buggy as heck, the testing feedback for it hasn't sounded that positive so far.

The queueing system is not good, and getting your group kicked out of the ranked WZ queue because you were afk and missed the regular WZ queue sucks.

Top Bottom