• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

valeo

I have no motivation to play this (I got burnt out on the original SC2 beta) but damn I love watching the videos. No other game (except CS) is as good to watch competitively.

sixghost

I probably should have asked this before the day the game launches, but are there any RTS from the past 6-7 years that play similarly to Starcraft? I bought Dawn of War 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire through Steam sales, and it drove me crazy how the genre has moved so far away from the type of RTS I like. I've been meaning to try Supreme Commander: FA, but haven't gotten a chance.

BlackJace

I might catch some shit for this but I'm personally hyped just to play the single player and that's it. Really want to see what happens.

I'm doing more or less the same thing (only a few multiplayer matches). Company of Heroes 2 and Rome II are where I'm getting my RTS multiplayer fix.

Woorloog

Banned
The campaign is so fucking good

Good as in good mission design (for any Blizzard game, that is expected of course), or good as in good story and dialogue (which is not expected from modern Blizzard, anything since WC3TFT has been crap, more or less)?

EDIT can't be the latter really, since Blizz retconned and shat on stuff in WoL already...

Vee_One

Good as in good mission design (for any Blizzard game, that is expected of course), or good as in good story and dialogue (which is not expected from modern Blizzard, anything since WC3TFT has been crap, more or less)?

EDIT can't be the latter really, since Blizz retconned and shat on stuff in WoL already...

Good mission design. Fun to play
Story is cheesy (up to mission 5 here)

Woorloog

Banned
Good mission design. Fun to play
Story is cheesy (up to mission 5 here)

Cheesy is not automatically bad. Well, at least the whole thing isn't done that seriously in the first place... but since WoL did take itself pretty seriously, i doubt things have changed for HotS.

Tacitus_

The gameplay and mission design. Can't speak much for the story, but it's had its cringeworthy moments, BUT, they're doing some quite ballsy things with the story. Though I wonder if the ballsy move is a red herring, or non canon due to my choices in the terran campaign (choices carry over, COOOL!).

Zzoram

SC2 WoL campaign missions were excellent so it's no surprise that HotS campaign is good too.

They did a great job of making missions feel different from each other and introducing a lot of interesting mechanics.

As it turns out, SC2 is a lot harder than WoW.

True, but given that he's a competent gamer with thousands of gaming hours under his belt, there's a certain expectation that he be not completely fucking awful at games, especially early on in a Blizzard game where it's designed for complete morons. He's just... clueless.

Woorloog

Banned
The gameplay and mission design. Can't speak much for the story, but it's had its cringeworthy moments, BUT, they're doing some quite ballsy things with the story. Though I wonder if the ballsy move is a red herring, or non canon due to my choices in the terran campaign (choices carry over, COOOL!).

I doubt the choices matter much in the end, just minor things probably. IIRC, Blizzard has... or had chosen certain missions from WoL as "canon" but that may have been overridden now. Or certain things are canon for expanded universe but that's all.

Zzoram

HotS launch stream has MorroW vs Polt casted by Day9.

Polt is up 2-0.

Is there a bracket or is this just a one-off showmatch?

Question - If I just like to play custom arcade maps, if I stick with the vanilla SC2, am I going to be screwed right away? I mean, will there still be games to play or will everyone be playing expansion-exclusive arcade maps?

My bad if that's a dumb question, just not sure how cross-play works and having trouble finding info on it.

Zzoram

Question - If I just like to play custom arcade maps, if I stick with the vanilla SC2, am I going to be screwed right away? I mean, will there still be games to play or will everyone be playing expansion-exclusive arcade maps?

My bad if that's a dumb question, just not sure how cross-play works and having trouble finding info on it.

I think any maps published as WoL maps will still be available. There might be fewer people playing them but you should always be able to play them solo or with friends.

Maps published as HotS maps, using HotS assets, will require HotS to play.

At least that's how it's worked in past Blizzard games

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SC2 WoL campaign missions were excellent so it's no surprise that HotS campaign is good too.

They did a great job of making missions feel different from each other and introducing a lot of interesting mechanics.

is there a way to play it in subtitled korean, so it just seems like a campy badly translated anime rather than the schlock it is?

WoL story was a bit trashy but the campaign missions were really good and fun gameplay.

Agreed. Honestly the story wasn't even THAT dreadful. There is much worse writing out there than Chris Metzen's school of melodrama. Most of the AAA games this gen have worse writing than SC.

Jawmuncher

Just beat starcraft 2.
Got a question where does this game go timeline wise?

Is WoL and HotS during the same timeline?
Is it after I'm kinda lost and the info I have isn't helping.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Agreed. Honestly the story wasn't even THAT dreadful. There is much worse writing out there than Chris Metzen's school of melodrama. Most of the AAA games this gen have worse writing than SC.

Blizzard writing is all backwards. The more important an event or piece of story is, the more derpy the writing is. Little incidental events, side dialog, etc is usually pretty good, but get to major game events and it gets all cliche and stupid campy.

Top Bottom