• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

raphier

Banned
Oh boy, saw the footage when It got leaked 2-3 years ago. If there's a gaming equivalent to the razzies awards, Metzen should take truckloads of the "awards".

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

funny enough, there are slight changes and they come in term of deletion. 2 years for that, ladies and gentlemen!

After 4 missions I feel the mission design so far is definitely inferior to WoL. I really hope that changes soon. I mean they still feel designed to be very different from MP, but it's been a literal cakewalk so far, with the gimmicks basically working perfectly to the player's advantage. It feels less like playing a strategy or action game, and more like playing Join the Dots. Everything is really automated, and it feels like one tutorial mission after another.

Or maybe I remember WoL being better than it was? I hope not!

Weird. Tons of people considered WoL campaign as a tutorial when the game came out but you would think that they would really step up the challenge for the expansion. Especially since just about the entire audience should be at least somewhat experienced with Starcraft gameplay. Maybe it's just the first few missions?

Tacitus_

How does Metzen stay on as the writer when people have despised his work for every game he wrote this entire gen. I don't get it

Old boys club. He's been there from the start.

After 4 missions I feel the mission design so far is definitely inferior to WoL. I really hope that changes soon. I mean they still feel designed to be very different from MP, but it's been a literal cakewalk so far, with the gimmicks basically working perfectly to the player's advantage. It feels less like playing a strategy or action game, and more like playing Join the Dots. Everything is really automated, and it feels like one tutorial mission after another.

Lessee, 4 missions in into WoL and you were just past the hold out where you got the amazing tech of bunkers?

Ikael

Does negative criticism matter when your work still sells?

"His" work selling? He is selling from the shoulders of giants (Broowars and Diablo 2), both two franchises and universes created by far more talented people than he could ever hope to be, and with a whole apparatus of copetitive e-sports and multiplayer designed by David Kim, to boot. The story could be written by Stephenie Meyer and people would still buy it, for God's shake. Hell, I will be buying it HoTs too, but it will be despite of Metzen, not thanks to him, make no mistake.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Old boys club. He's been there from the start.

Lessee, 4 missions in into WoL and you were just past the hold out where you got the amazing tech of bunkers?

But why would they need a new turtorial section for so long. Broodwar went right into action. It's not a standalone expansion, so I don't see the need for an extra elaborate turtorial.

Epic rage ._.? Nah man, as long as I think for a second or two before posting, all is gonna be well :3!

You should get something like the google drunk e-mail preventer. Every time you type > 50 letters in like 10 seconds a screen should pop up asking "do you really want to post this?"

Got home last night @ 10 from work and passed out (didn't even get to watch life vs flash), hoping I can get out a little earlier tonight so I actually have time to play HotS :(

Tacitus_

But why would they need a new turtorial section for so long. Broodwar went right into action. It's not a standalone expansion, so I don't see the need for an extra elaborate turtorial.

I dunno * shrug*. SC1 had campaigns for all races so a small tutorial is to be expected for zerg singleplayer, but HotS definitely veers into the "click here to make stuff happen" category of tutorials.

I dunno * shrug*. SC1 had campaigns for all races so a small tutorial is to be expected for zerg singleplayer, but HotS definitely veers into the "click here to make stuff happen" category of tutorials.

Only thing I can think of is that Zerg is a very unique race compared to other RTS titles so blizzard thought that you had to be very thorough for people who never touched multiplayer and just played campaign only.

LTWheels

Just started playing the campaign. Done the first 3 mission. Enjoying it so far. I really, really hope that Kerrigan doesn't become the Queen of Blades again. To me that would be a copout reset. I hope she stays as a mentally fucked by ghost, giving the ending of WoL a sense of permanence. That would be a far more ambitious continuation of the story rather than the reappearance of the Queen of Blades again. I strongly expect that I will be disappointed.

raphier

Banned
Just started playing the campaign. Done the first 3 mission. Enjoying it so far. I really, really hope that Kerrigan doesn't become the Queen of Blades again. To me that would be a copout reset. I hope she stays as a mentally fucked by ghost, giving the ending of WoL a sense of permanence. That would be a far more ambitious continuation of the story rather than the reappearance of the Queen of Blades again. I strongly expect that I will be disappointed.

Go play multiplayer

V_Arnold

Does negative criticism matter when your work still sells?

Diablo III was truly weird in this regard. The main story sucked big time, but the sidenotes and some of the NPC conversations were great. It could be felt that there were different people working on the story and on everything else.

Really enjoying the gameplay so far (trying not to pay to much attention to the story my god). One problem i'm having is this damn overheating issue. I tried a hot fix i found online but still if i put my graphics on anything but the lowest setting my laptop starts overheating which really sucks.

I only got it a few months ago and made sure i got one that could run SC2 better (so i could finally play on ultra). Now i'm stuck on the lowest settings cause i don't want to wreck my laptop :/.

Playing Starcraft 1's campaign leading up to WoL and HoTS (via a user remake in SC2), and jesus christ. Desperate Alliance (survive in Mar Sara for a half hour) kicked my butt up and down the stairs a couple times before I managed to hold off the onslaught. Suffice to say I have a lot of work to do on my positioning, way too many Medics got clobbered because they were standing in the front.

That mission is to easy i think. I usually go out and try and kill every zerg unit or building on the map just to have something to do. I wish those missions were actually harder.

I haven't finished yet but i disagree with people saying it's easier. I'm more experienced with zerg but i felt like this campaign was harder (still incredibly easy overall though). Also do you go for achievements? They can really make the levels a lot more challenging.

Looks like someone didn't play Gears of War. They're bad but there are 10s of games that are worse.

My main problem with the writing is the complete shift away from the darker themes of SC and SC:BW. Everything is so campy/cheesy now.

Gears of war had FAR superior dialogue compared to the dialogue in WOL and HOTS and it actually fit the tone of that universe in my opinion. The dialogue in the SC2 campaigns is schlock and it's almost insultingly bad. Can't believe they expect people to lap this shit up.

Thaedolus

Wait a second...I booted up this morning and had HotS available, cool. But is this game going to continuously download levels as I go to play them? But after the opening cutscene there was a download progress status next to the loading bar, and loading took longer than normal. There's no "download it all now" option?

Anyone feel as though the campaign warranted a separate release from WoL, which was Blizzard's argument for splitting of the series into 3 releases?

This game is not a day 1 purchase for me, but I might get it later down the road. I've been milked enough be Blizzard already as it is.

Thaedolus

Does WoL need to be installed on the same drive? How much space does HotS take up?

It's all run from the same client, so yes. But I'm not sure how much space it takes up. Right now my SCII directory is 13.2GB, but apparently I don't have all the HotS assets downloaded because they're downloading before missions. Requirements state 20GB.

Moff

Wait a second...I booted up this morning and had HotS available, cool. But is this game going to continuously download levels as I go to play them? But after the opening cutscene there was a download progress status next to the loading bar, and loading took longer than normal. There's no "download it all now" option?

I have the same issue

Bizazedo

Yeah, I was confused and annoyed by this as well. It was streaming to me prior to each mission.

Willectro

Banned
I play protoss, but fucking cannon rushing is ruining this game. Sure it's easy to counter, but I find (in lower level play) that every time I play against protoss, I have to defend against this scumbag tactic. Photon cannons should take longer to access.

Other than that, HotS is good times.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"His" work selling? He is selling from the shoulders of giants (Broowars and Diablo 2), both two franchises and universes created by far more talented people than he could ever hope to be, and with a whole apparatus of copetitive e-sports and multiplayer designed by David Kim, to boot. The story could be written by Stephenie Meyer and people would still buy it, for God's shake. Hell, I will be buying it HoTs too, but it will be despite of Metzen, not thanks to him, make no mistake.

Check the Brood War credits. He was responsible for that story too.

I play protoss, but fucking cannon rushing is ruining this game. Sure it's easy to counter, but I find (in lower level play) that every time I play against protoss, I have to defend against this scumbag tactic. Photon cannons should take longer to access.

How you suggest protoss hold off 6 pool if cannons take longer to access?

duckroll

Hahahahahaha, people are STILL doing that? I remember that in the months after WoL launched. I play Protoss too, and knowing how to defend against Protoss players who might cannon rush was always priority. The best part is when you defend against a cannon rush successfully and then cannon rush the player back. :lol

Hahahahahaha, people are STILL doing that? I remember that in the months after WoL launched. I play Protoss too, and knowing how to defend against Protoss players who might cannon rush was always priority. The best part is when you defend against a cannon rush successfully and then cannon rush the player back. :lol

There are actually professional cannon rushers out there. I remember watching some streams. And by "professional cannon rusher", I don't mean a pro-player who just cannon rushes occasionally. I mean a player who specializes in cannon rushing just about every game and is in masters league.

How long is it taking people to go through the campaign? My copy comes later, and I'll be going through the campaign first before I dive into the multi.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
sp mp sp mp sp mp sp mp

Tacitus_

Does your launcher have a download bar? If it does, you don't have all the files and you can leave the launcher open so it can download the files.

Harlock

You need scout your base and the border of base very early. Even more in 2 spawn maps. Once you see the pylon, send a lot of probes to kill the pylon. And other to kill the probe. Kill first the pylon, because it is what will power the cannon.

In low level is worth put one drone to pursuit the scout enemy drone. The amount of micro your oponent need to do for keep the scout alive will affect your macro play.

I expected the poor writing, but is it just me or is the voice acting of surprisingly low quality? Some of the lines Kerrigan says are just really off.

Moff

Man, I'm really not good at this game. Any tips for the frozen planet mission? The protoss always run over me.

on what difficulty are you playing? should be quite easy if you only attack when the flash freeze comes. leave your army in the base between freezes.

Top Bottom