• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Wunder

Yesterday I learned that I was not the only one mainly interested in the SP campaign.

Now I would like to hear how the campaign stacks up?

Story aside, how is the gameplay? Improved?

Missions are pretty fun/varied - not sure how much you've read about HOTS but it has a large focus on Kerrigan and as such she's in almost every mission. The unit upgrades are a bit weird, in my opinion. Some choices are really cool like how they give you a small mission to test out the new abilities but some other choices are questionable like
Why can't I upgrade my infestor or Aberration at all?
It's a bit bizarre and leaves a weird taste in my mouth but it's still quite enjoyable overall.

MJLord

Right guys, I suck. I've lost all of my 3 games in Bronze league. Can anyone link me to some material that can help guide me in the right direction? I play Terran. Thanks in advance!

Narag

The campaign supposedly has a lot of variety and also feels different than WoL and gets better after the first few missions (which are more tutorial-like).

Yeah, the first missions were very much a tutorial. I was sort of thankful though as it gave me a better grasp on Zerg stuff as I'd never really been able to grasp it before.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Try to have a couple gigs free on your harddrive. I remember I had a similar issue that was space related.

I uninstalled and I'm doing a full install from scratch from the downloader now. Not the most efficient way to go about things but whatever.

profit

Tacitus_

Now nothing happens when I load the game client. Updater launches, it closes and I get a "checking for updates" window, then that closes and nothing. Nice work!

The Blizz launcher has been really buggy lately. Check if you got an invisible window via task manager. Sometimes the launcher glitches, sometimes it's the updater and sometimes it's the client itself.

jersoc

well, i'm enjoying the missions a lot more so far. seeing how i love playing the zerg this expansion has been great fun. finished my first planet. got the first zergling and roach upgrades. really like how those are done.

there's a lot of nice changes they have done since wol.

StayDead

Right guys, I suck. I've lost all of my 3 games in Bronze league. Can anyone link me to some material that can help guide me in the right direction? I play Terran. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the training mode?

Also look at teamliquid.net there's a bunch of guides there and also day9.tv does a series entirely based around helping people become better. Look at the ones where he's talking about Terran. ^^

Sibylus

Banned
Playing Starcraft 1's campaign leading up to WoL and HoTS (via a user remake in SC2), and jesus christ. Desperate Alliance (survive in Mar Sara for a half hour) kicked my butt up and down the stairs a couple times before I managed to hold off the onslaught. Suffice to say I have a lot of work to do on my positioning, way too many Medics got clobbered because they were standing in the front.

Some graphical rough edges here and there, but other than that I'm pretty pleased with how it all looks and runs.

Guys!

You remember War Hound?!

hahaha.
It was a piece of shit. Rest in hell.

duckroll

I uninstalled and I'm doing a full install from scratch from the downloader now. Not the most efficient way to go about things but whatever.

They really kinda fucked up how the expansion "works" for normal people. I think their brains are trapped in WoW-land so this actually feels more like how you would distribute a MMO instead. There is no difference between WoL or HotS as far as install directories and data goes. You just need to activate the HotS key on your B.net account, and then download the client and do a full install or something. There doesn't seem to be a way to install just an "update" or whatever.

Maybe they expected everyone to have uninstalled SC2 by now. :lol

What's the verdict in HoTS campaign plot? Good? or Bad?

No spoilers

Played 3 missions yesterday, plot is pretty bad. It's like a Saturday Morning Cartoon continuation of WoL (so at least its consistent in tone!), with bullshit excuses to make it go the way they need it to go for a full Zerg campaign.

remz

The first few missions is some of the cheesiest, lamest, most awful cutscenes, in terms of writing, that I've seen like ever. It's laughable

Keikaku

Well I just got to the
jungle planet Zeras (sp?)
and what the fuck is this shit.

Off to bed but I'll see if I can wrap up the campaign tomorrow.

Tacitus_

They really kinda fucked up how the expansion "works" for normal people. I think their brains are trapped in WoW-land so this actually feels more like how you would distribute a MMO instead. There is no difference between WoL or HotS as far as install directories and data goes. You just need to activate the HotS key on your B.net account, and then download the client and do a full install or something. There doesn't seem to be a way to install just an "update" or whatever.

Maybe they expected everyone to have uninstalled SC2 by now. :lol.

Hm? I just ran the updater and it patched my client to HotS from 2.0

Keikaku

The first few missions is some of the cheesiest, lamest, most awful cutscenes, in terms of writing, that I've seen like ever. It's laughable
Looks like someone didn't play Gears of War. They're bad but there are 10s of games that are worse.

My main problem with the writing is the complete shift away from the darker themes of SC and SC:BW. Everything is so campy/cheesy now.

Played 3 missions yesterday, plot is pretty bad. It's like a Saturday Morning Cartoon continuation of WoL (so at least its consistent in tone!), with bullshit excuses to make it go the way they need it to go for a full Zerg campaign.

Actual mission mechanics are great and they have spent a lot of time on making it feel friendlier.

The plot is less cheesy than WoL in my opinion but it still doesn't take itself too seriously.

God damn it Metzen

Moff

Story is good, but they way its presented and how the dialog is written is abysmal.
one of my favourite cutscenes of all time is the outro of BW. when DeGaulle puts on his favourite music and writes his good bye letter to his wife. what an amazing idea.

today, with SC2's sandarts, which is written for the michael bay audience, I dont see something happen like that at all, and thats really sad. blizzard had once amazing cutscenes, not just because they usually looked the best. but with diablo 3 and starcraft 2, blizzard have sadly fallen down to the rest of the industry.

Ikael

Well I just got to the
jungle planet Zeras (sp?)
and what the fuck is this shit.

That shit is Metzen writting. Any fanfiction writter could do better plot archs and dialogues. I am really disgusted on the downward spiral of shittiness regarding Starcraft's plot. WoL was the only game whose plot not only was unable to advance one bit, but it actually went backwards. Disgraceful, specially if you take into account the great job that they did with Broodwar's plot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Straight up the best story I've ever experienced.

The best.

Robertto

Neo Member

the first thing you need to grasp is the concept that time is actually the most important resource. So always be building workers + baracks/units at all times. and any down-time not building units/workers with money left in your bank is an inefficiency in your play. so ALWAYS BE DOING SOMETHING even if its just marines.

i think that mind set is the most important building block to start with. if you have an efficient build of a basic unit composition you should be fine in bronze

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi, you are at the upwards phase of your sinus function...you know what is coming, right? :(

Right? :D
Epic rage ._.? Nah man, as long as I think for a second or two before posting, all is gonna be well :3!

How do you recover a Battle.net account that's been stolen and name changed?

My friend already tried to recover his account, with his email, but to recover your pass you need your name, and it seems that was changed.

Or is he doing something wrong? Can it be recovered?

Lime

ending changes:
Oh god no. They didn't even bother to change the ending How lazy can you get

ozydh8yko9.gif

and it was so fucking terrible when it leaked. Did no one at Blizzard look at or read the comments/reactions to how fucking atrocious the ending was?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are the CG cutscenes good at least? Assuming there is more than the one we've seen a month ago.

Yoshichan

Has nobody uploaded the carbotanimations intro of Hots? Wanna show my sister it, she loves the small and cute zerglings :3
He'll probably put it up on his channel today :3

HoodWinked

the writing in the small interaction hub is good but the overall plot is a mess.

sc2 is going for a bit of that Verhoeven feel so not sure what people are expecting for the writing it delivers pretty well on that extent. one of the missions involving matt i thought was particularly strong.

duckroll

After 4 missions I feel the mission design so far is definitely inferior to WoL. I really hope that changes soon. I mean they still feel designed to be very different from MP, but it's been a literal cakewalk so far, with the gimmicks basically working perfectly to the player's advantage. It feels less like playing a strategy or action game, and more like playing Join the Dots. Everything is really automated, and it feels like one tutorial mission after another.

Or maybe I remember WoL being better than it was? I hope not!

I really like the singleplayer so far.

Kerrigan doesn't give a fuck.

But it probably helps that I'm playing through brutal first so these missions arent a complete cake walk. I mean they are still easy but at least I have to think a bit.

ending changes:
Oh god no. They didn't even bother to change the ending How lazy can you get

Oh boy, saw the footage when It got leaked 2-3 years ago. If there's a gaming equivalent to the razzies awards, Metzen should take truckloads of the "awards".

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Top Bottom