• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Remember when they split the 3 campaigns up so we could get full fledged games from each? Now we get 2/3 of WoL already short campaign for $40!

I get the complaint about the campaign being focused on a single race but WoL's actual length was very similar to StarCraft

tenton

I think there might be but I can't confirm for sure.
There's an early cutscene in HotS where Jim and Nova have a conversation, and in my game it acknowledged that I helped her in WoL.

She said I didn't help her. I've done it both ways, though I don't remember where my last WoL save did

Tacitus_

Sounds good. Thanks. I'll toggle with difficulty and replay some missions to see how I like it. I like losing if I do something stupid. I just don't want the challenge to be so great it'll overwhelm me. Getting too old to micromanage everything quickly. >_<

I think I lost a single mission or something on my playthrough. Stupid Swarm Hosts aren't burrowed, just rooted in place when you first get them. Cue me losing when I left them alone to protect a ramp and the enemy just marched through them and destroyed the objective I needed to protect.

fallagin

Btw, I LOVE raptors but holy shit they make the game unplayable when I mass them, like 5 fps unplayable. Strange because my pc handles crazy monobattles on high settings like a boss :/

I went with the swarmlings because I thought they would be more practical. I guess this could bode well for performance too :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So since achievements are currently disabled... are they gonna be retroactive or something? This is retarded.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, I guess I can't proceed on because achievements are currently disabled.
wait why are achievements disabled??
Because the incompetence at Blizzard is below Metzens story telling skills.

HoodWinked

Wings of Liberty had 29 missions.

Heart of the Swarm has 20, but it's also $20 cheaper.

29 missions?

i've been playing it recently and when you pick one mission over the other like the new haven mission for example you still get both in the mission log.

Lucifon

Well, I guess I can't proceed on because achievements are currently disabled.

Because the incompetence at Blizzard is below Metzens story telling skills.

Bleh. Just finished a frustrating mission where you have to hold out for 25 minutes and it gets ridiculous within the last few minutes. Took me quite a few checkpoint retries, finally finish it then no achievement for completing the mission. Mega crap.

Danj

So since achievements are currently disabled... are they gonna be retroactive or something? This is retarded.

I'd like to know this, why are they disabled? Do I have to replay the story missions to get them after they come back? Tried tweeting Blizzard CS but no response.

Yoshichan

Fuck it. I'll replay this sucker multiple times. Might as well just continue.

Wait, the secret mission from WoL is basically the secret mission from Brood War? :lol

Yes, except this time it's Raynor's Raiders that find out about the hybrid experiments and not Zeratul. I don't think the Brood War mission is considered canon anymore...which is a shame because it had me SO pumped for a sequel back in the day.

antitrop

I just finished the first mission a few minutes ago on NA and the three 10 point Achievements were properly added to my Battle.net profile.

Must be an EU thing.

Tacitus_

I'd like to know this, why are they disabled? Do I have to replay the story missions to get them after they come back? Tried tweeting Blizzard CS but no response.

The game lost connection to the achievement server, so it won't award you any. I think you need to re-do the missions if you want the achievements, but it's been so long since WoL launched that I'm not certain.

Moff

Maybe I should set the difficulty up. How hard does it get? I'm playing on Normal because I'm a wuss, but I'm already kinda regretting it. Lol.
you shouldnt judge the campaign by playing it on normal. and dont forget about the achievements, I always did them in WoL and they add a lot of depth.

WoL is by far the best single player rts campaign I have ever played, because of the mission design. and HotS has the same excellent mission design. but I dont know. I just dont feel nearly as overwhelmed as when I played WoL. its all zergified and well done, but I just think it came too late. it cant have the same impact anymore and I just feel this comes at least a whole year too late. it would have been perfect if it was released 6-9 months after WoL, but an addon 2 and a half years later just doesnt seem to be able to excite me as much as the main game, even if its just as good.

Yoshichan

you can likely reload last checkpoint for the achievement when the achievement servers come back.
Yup. Gonna be saving each save that I will get achievements from:

t0qZXjE.png

Yoshichan

raptor EVOLVED!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Isn't it weird how these crashes happen every time with Blizzard releases, but they just wait for the burst of traffic to drop off rather than compensate by buying more/better servers?
So Yoshi, how terrible is the game?
Shh, he hasn't evolved to that point yet, he's still in the 'completely immersed' stage. By this weekend he'll swear to never play it again.

I remember someone saying there was a mod or custom maps or something like that to play through the SC1/BroodWar campaign on the SC2 engine. Doe this actually exist or am I remembering something from a fever dream?

antitrop

"You better hurry, or I'll kill this thing without you *chuckle*" is the worst line of dialogue I have heard in 2013.

Thanks, Metzen.

Tacitus_

Isn't it weird how these crashes happen every time with Blizzard releases, but they just wait for the burst of traffic to drop off rather than compensate by buying more/better servers?Shh, he hasn't evolved to that point yet, he's still in the 'completely immersed' stage. By this weekend he'll swear to never play it again.

It doesn't make financial sense to have the server capability to survive the launch rush since you won't need them on the next week at all. Sucks for us, but *shrug*

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If this gen has taught us anything, it's that game companies are definitely businesses first and foremost.
"You better hurry, or I'll kill this thing without you *chuckle*" is the worst line of dialogue I have heard in 2013.

Thanks, Metzen.
"Change of plans."

Robin64

The fuck did this Terran player just do to me?

I followed the training missions but they never said anything about a rival Terran being able to put fucking mines in my base constantly harassing me with missiles.

Lucifon

Is anyone else not enjoying the campaign as much as WoL? Mission design feels pretty repetitive to me and just overall not as fun.

Almost every mission boils down to starting a base from the beginning again, mass units, hold off against timed waves whilst using a squad to scout around until you have enough units to just push and win. No real strategy, nothing much imaginative. The cutscenes being non-HD is just the cherry on top to what already feels like abit of a side-effort by Blizzard than a real focus.

To clarify I've not touched the multiplayer stuff yet, I have no doubt that'll be as good as we've come to expect. Just the singleplayer aspect I feel this way about.

Chris R

The fuck did this Terran player just do to me?

I followed the training missions but they never said anything about a rival Terran being able to put fucking mines in my base constantly harassing me with missiles.

Build some turrets, a raven, or scan to find/destroy them.

Top Bottom