• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

munroe

Soaking in the campaign... really don't want it to end ._. Fuck mp, gonna replay this sucker right after I beat it.

Basically what I'm going to do, play through on hard not worrying about the achievements just the story, then second run through will be for achievements.

Will probably play some multi at a later time

I'm really enjoying the campaign, and unranked ladder matches are great, I keep getting walloped, but i dont mind. Taking out medievacs with widow mines is awesome.

Loofy

Campaign was alot of fun, better than WoL imo though that maybe cause I think zerg is the funnest race to play with. Only complaint was that kerrigan was a little too imba on hard setting and it made the games really short.
Spawn Baneling-Extra splash-jump ability-short cooldown = 1 person army.

Nokterian

Today came my Collectors Edition,filled in the cd key at battle.net and started playing. I like the evolution missions very cool made. Love the zerg vibe everywhere. Story is fun so far. Glad i picked it up and again a good launch. Also the UI looks pretty slick.

This is pretty OCD of me but for those who installed HotS through a cd or download client (ie not a patch), do you have a dedicated icon for HotS? I did it through the patch but I wanted a new icon, I still access the game through vanilla WoL :/

Sad I know.

smr00

Banned
Just finished the campaign and although i enjoyed it more then i did WOL the ending still left me wanting more.

Also fucking battlenet.. I got disconnected twice during the campaign and achievements didn't trigger for both those missions so i have this gap which is highly annoying >.<

This is pretty OCD of me but for those who installed HotS through a cd or download client (ie not a patch), do you have a dedicated icon for HotS? I did it through the patch but I wanted a new icon, I still access the game through vanilla WoL :/

Sad I know.
lLNOq.png

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=366405

or
http://dexistor371.deviantart.com/art/Heart-of-the-Swarm-icons-for-desktop-341642677

antitrop

Sad I know.
It's like that for everyone. If you're honestly OCD about it you can whip up a custom icon in Photoshop with relatively little effort.

So when did they change to queen larva thing? I haven't played WoL for over a year, was it in a patch or Hots? Also I guess you get her now just for creep spreading and a early AA option?

Whatever happen to fruitdealer? Does he still play? Was my favorite player to watch back in the day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Legacy of the void definitely needs a multiplayer mode where each race can use all the sp units. So much fun and so imba.

I want to see this just for all the crazy strategies people would use

Except they'd have to work on some things... For example: swarm zerglings

f0rk

So when did they change to queen larva thing? I haven't played WoL for over a year, was it in a patch or Hots? Also I guess you get her now just for creep spreading and a early AA option?

Whatever happen to fruitdealer? Does he still play? Was my favorite player to watch back in the day.

Queens have the same abilitys as they have always had in MP

man it's so good to be back into Starcraft. I missed it. Only now I feel like I'm starting from square 1 again hah. At least I remember the Terran keyboard shortcuts from WoL even if I have no idea what these new units do or what builds are good

Vodh

I thought it was a good opportunity to switch to grid hotkeys, but even tho I don't really have problem doing the stuff I wanna do, it somehow feels off, like I'm playing a different game - and I don't enjoy it too much so far. Should I just switch back to standard?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I thought it was a good opportunity to switch to grid hotkeys, but even tho I don't really have problem doing the stuff I wanna do, it somehow feels off, like I'm playing a different game - and I don't enjoy it too much so far. Should I just switch back to standard?

i'm not sure how possible it is to play protoss with standard anymore. too many control groups are required for anyone not willing to reach over to 8-9-0.

i don't recommend straight grid though, they are rarely efficiently laid out; come up with something similar but more optimal. i generally put all my abilities on QWERF, scattered depending on importance (big ticket spells are generally on F, spammy spells on Q, "don't touch this unless you're sure you've got the right unit selected" on R for example) using 12345TGCVB for control groups.

Stoof

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but recently Starcraft 2 has been stuttering a bit so I was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem. It doesn't show that my framerate drops or anything but every so often it stutters and has become quite annoying. My computer can definitely run the game fine and it didn't start happening till a few weeks ago. I don't have HoTS yet but I'll probably be buying it within a week or two! Thanks for any help and sorry if this counts as spam.

Moff

What was the actual point of turning Kerrigan back and forth? Did they want to turn her into a face/good version of Queen of Blades? That is okay i guess but why spend 40-50 missions on telling that story?
there are different reasons for turning her human
1. the samus aran effect. she needs to lose her abilities to get them back as upgrades.
2. Zeratul is convinced that she is needed against the dark voice, but she is a mad mass murderer, so he and jim decided to turn her instead of killing her. she needs to control the zerg though, how else is she supposed to help against amon? so zeratul lets her get primal zerg powers which make her independent from amon, the dark voice, and let her become the primal queen
3. samir duran needed her so be purged from her powers, so he can use that power to awaken amon, the dark voice, so he lined up everything for that to happen, starting with making rayonr find xel naga artifacts with tychus.

Is now meaningless. Also how the hell
are the primal zerg supposed to have hydras, roaches and other units if they never moved from Zerus?
This is actually explained in on of the dialogues with arabthus, your evolution master. he says the primal zerg adapted these new formes immediately after you landed, he is actually quite annoyed by it because they were apparently of his design

I really like the story and where this is going, for that I can even deal with some metzen cheese that makes me cringe sometimes.

the campaign was good, but not excellent like WoL, it just feels terribly small compared to WoL. Wings was so fleshed out and polished, with so many characters, funny/silly side stuff like the news, clickable items on the hyperion. WoL had these amazingly detailed mission brifings and a protoss mini campaig. it just felt so epic and polished. I cant really say that for swarm, though I am glad they managed to still deliever completely different missions with great gameplay, after all that was the most important part of WoL and made its campaign the best in RTS, yet.

I just hope Void will be released withhin a year, I know thats not gonna happen, but damn, over 2 years for swarm was clearly too long. too long for what we got now.

Wunder

there are different reasons for turning her human
1. the samus aran effect. she needs to lose her abilities to get them back as upgrades.
2. Zeratul is convinced that she is needed against the dark voice, but she is a mad mass murderer, so he and jim decided to turn her instead of killing her. she needs to control the zerg though, how else is she supposed to help against amon? so zeratul lets her get primal zerg powers which make her independent from amon, the dark voice, and let her become the primal queen
3. samir duran needed her so be purged from her powers, so he can use that power to awaken amon, the dark voice, so he lined up everything for that to happen, starting with making rayonr find xel naga artifacts with tychus.

This is actually explained in on of the dialogues with arabthus, your evolution master. he says the primal zerg adapted these new formes immediately after you landed, he is actually quite annoyed by it because they were apparently of his design

I really like the story and where this is going, for that I can even deal with some metzen cheese that makes me cringe sometimes.

the campaign was good, but not excellent like WoL, it just feels terribly small compared to WoL. Wings was so fleshed out and polished, with so many characters, funny/silly side stuff like the news, clickable items on the hyperion. WoL had these amazingly detailed mission brifings and a protoss mini campaig. it just felt so epic and polished. I cant really say that for swarm, though I am glad they managed to still deliever completely different missions with great gameplay, after all that was the most important part of WoL and made its campaign the best in RTS, yet.

I just hope Void will be released withhin a year, I know thats not gonna happen, but damn, over 2 years for swarm was clearly too long. too long for what we got now.

Cool explanations! I think I can digest that a bit better actually. Can you explain how
Amon got revived? I thought we foiled Narud but he just says "loltoolate he's alive" before he dies?

Tacitus_

Cool explanations! I think I can digest that a bit better actually. Can you explain how
Amon got revived? I thought we foiled Narud but he just says "loltoolate he's alive" before he dies?

Peeled off energy or something from the firing of the xel naga artifact that turned her human

duckroll

Wow, this campaign is MUCH more fun on Hard. I just did the mission where you use the creep tumors. It was actually challenging, and rewarding when I learned to play better. Yum!!! :D

FluxWaveZ

Wow, this campaign is MUCH more fun on Hard. I just did the mission where you use the creep tumors. It was actually challenging, and rewarding when I learned to play better. Yum!!! :D

Normal was way too boring. When Legacy of the Void comes out, I'll remember to start on Hard.

duckroll

Normal was way too boring. When Legacy of the Void comes out, I'll remember to start on Hard.

Yeah, it was a terrible mistake on my part. I still feel all my criticisms were valid for Normal, since most people would play on that difficulty, but goddamn, Hard is the REAL Normal. Lol.

Top Bottom