• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Keikaku

full on counter? no, but the ht is a staple of the toss army you can count on for pretty much every situation. a 100-200 damage (on average) feedback plus stalker fire melts thors pretty quickly. just saying this unit blah blah blah its pointless at this point. tvp is what people are talking about right now, players far better than you and i. no answer is going to be as simple as:

unit x
I love how you can say that with a straight face right after putting down HT's as a counter to 3/4 of that list you made up there.

You also neglect to mention that Ghosts have 1 extra range on both of their abilities, either of which counters HT's pretty well.

I play Zerg and I'm only in Platinum league, so this particular discussion doesn't really apply to me. That said, I think that Blizzard needs to be a little less aggressive in some cases with it's balance patches. Give people more than 5 months to work out counter strats.

Aylinato

full on counter? no, but the ht is a staple of the toss army you can count on for pretty much every situation. a 100-200 damage (on average) feedback plus stalker fire melts thors pretty quickly. just saying this unit blah blah blah its pointless at this point. tvp is what people are talking about right now, players far better than you and i. no answer is going to be as simple as:

unit x

Ghosts, thors, hellions, tanks, battlecruisers counter HTs pretty good

Storm is broken because it does more than force Terran to micro. While microing out of a storm, you can either pull your bio back and leave your Vikings to get hammered by the storm or Stalkers, or you can try and pull both back and NOTHING is attacking while Protoss just keeps marching forward. As you keep pulling units back to get away from storms, you take constant losses and you deal no damage. The radius on storm is simply too big.

Infestors do suck, but I think they've nerfed them down to an acceptable level. I'll always hate the root effect from fungal, but once an Infestor is out of energy it's a pretty awful unit for quite a while.

Infestors were nerfed too hard with the neural, as they were not broken by any means.

LOL forcing terrans to move out of storm, that is hilarious argument. how about you don't engage in a circular ball and move ur forces into a concave that favors you. The radius of storm(which doesn't root ur units) is fine. If you nerf storm you have to break the game by buffing the protoss ground army(which would indeed break the game)

Deadman

I'm I missing something? Why can I watch MLG Winter Live even though I have never paid for anything in MLG?

Pre-show is free and i think the first hour of each day is also free.

Also the "dr pepper stream" is free all weekend. That will just be filler things like interviews, not matches.

Keikaku

can't hear shit :[
They fixed it pretty quick. I love being able to switch back to Sheth's FPV between interviews or whatever.
Storm is broken because it does more than force Terran to micro. While microing out of a storm, you can either pull your bio back and leave your Vikings to get hammered by the storm or Stalkers, or you can try and pull both back and NOTHING is attacking while Protoss just keeps marching forward. As you keep pulling units back to get away from storms, you take constant losses and you deal no damage. The radius on storm is simply too big.

Infestors do suck, but I think they've nerfed them down to an acceptable level. I'll always hate the root effect from fungal, but once an Infestor is out of energy it's a pretty awful unit for quite a while.
How the heck is forcing Terrans or any other race to move out of their ball a bad thing? This isn't a gentlemanly war where everyone just gets to move around everywhere in a ball. Pro players should be expected to have to dodge storms with their units.

Watch some of Puma's games where he does exactly that. He doesn't just dodge storms, he anticipates them and moves out of the way preemptively. It's part of the evolution of the game.

calder

The production value on this is pretty damn good. 1080p stream looks incredible.

Yep. Can't wait for the action, gotta leave work now and get home asap lol.

yuiRa.jpg

qRamy.jpg

Jeff-DSA

Ghosts, thors, hellions, tanks, battlecruisers counter HTs pretty good

Sure, build all those to counter HTs and watch them be useless otherwise. Mech/air is awful against Protoss. Terran has one option against Protoss, and that's bio. At least tanks have use against Zerg.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I love how you can say that with a straight face right after putting down HT's as a counter to 3/4 of that list you made up there.

You also neglect to mention that Ghosts have 1 extra range on both of their abilities, either of which counters HT's pretty well.

I play Zerg and I'm only in Platinum league, so this particular discussion doesn't really apply to me. That said, I think that Blizzard needs to be a little less aggressive in some cases with it's balance patches. Give people more than 5 months to work out counter strats.

thats the problem, not the solution

no good toss is going to stick the ht in front of their army

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
No kidding.

And no good Terran won't try to flank with their Ghosts instead of blindly running into range with them. What's your point?

the problem is explained simply, the solution isnt. people can easily identify the problem, but the solution is harder.

you can flank, dance, whatever you want, but you arnt going to get to the ht with obs around. you can wait until the protoss a-moves and clumps is army in front of the hts, but then you have a small window to run your ghosts around and shoot the ht. unfortunately, ghosts dont stim.

fact is, its stupid to argue that late-game tvp has a simple solution. if there is one, it probably isnt going to be someone on here that thinks of it

Keikaku

the problem is explained simply, the solution isnt. people can easily identify the problem, but the solution is harder.

you can flank, dance, whatever you want, but you arnt going to get to the ht with obs around. you can wait until the protoss a-moves and clumps is army in front of the hts, but then you have a small window to run your ghosts around and shoot the ht. unfortunately, ghosts dont stim.

fact is, its stupid to argue that late-game tvp has a simple solution. if there is one, it probably isnt going to be someone on here that thinks of it
I agree. I was pointing out that, if that's the case, if you go around saying stuff like, oh I don't know this:
the gas units suck in tvp

thors suck - ht
reapers suck - they just suck
bcs with no upgrades suck - ht/blink
banshees suck - ht
ravens suck - ht
tanks suck - blink/zealots
You're not really helping things.

Jeff-DSA

Just give us the freaking EMP radius back. It's so hard to do enough EMP damage before the Ghosts get detected by the Observer and slaughtered.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I agree. I was pointing out that, if that's the case, if you go around saying stuff like, oh I don't know this:

You're not really helping things.

it takes a pro to figure out the solution but any noob can see the problem. hell the better players have explained the problem to us, you dont have to experience it for yourself

ive said this 3 times now

Keikaku

it takes a pro to figure out the solution but any noob can see the problem

ive said this 3 times now
Oh come on.

Noobs see their own problems. If you're seriously arguing that non-pro players have the ability to see past their own limitations to the degree that they can make useful judgements about the metagame, then I'm going to have to disagree.

A lot of the QQ in this thread is people saying "I can't use unit X, so it's been nerfed too hard" or "I don't know how to counter composition Y, so it's broken." That's not seeing the problem, that's saying that the problem isn't with your play, it's with the game and I don't necessarily agree.

I'm not saying the game isn't broken, I'm saying that I'm not good enough to know. Certain strats, compositions, builds or whatever take time to figure out in terms of counters. Stuff like 2-Rax against Zerg seemed way broken in the beginning but that was figured out in short order. Late game TvP will be figured out but I think crying "Imbalance" is not the solution.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fantastic, youve been wrong forever, productive
I think its cute that you were calling for people to talk like adults when you've been whining like a bronze leaguer who just lost to marauders. Noobs can see lategame tvp problems? what a joke.

i've seen pros trying lategame tvp thor play and i dont even pay attention to the matchup at all, but hey coolio says thors lose free to ht so i guess thats that. thors confirmed useless, thanks coolio!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Oh come on.

Noobs see their own problems. If you're seriously arguing that non-pro players have the ability to see past their own limitations to the degree that they can make useful judgements about the metagame, then I'm going to have to disagree.

A lot of the QQ in this thread is people saying "I can't use unit X, so it's been nerfed too hard" or "I don't know how to counter composition Y, so it's broken." That's not seeing the problem, that's saying that the problem isn't with your play, it's with the game and I don't necessarily agree.

I'm not saying the game isn't broken, I'm saying that I'm not good enough to know. Certain strats, compositions, builds or whatever take time to figure out in terms of counters. Stuff like 2-Rax against Zerg seemed way broken in the beginning but that was figured out in short order. Late game TvP will be figured out but I think crying "Imbalance" is not the solution.

my first post in this thread today was me posting a long response from a good player on the matter. this isnt even my problem most of the time. most of the time im playing against terrible toss players but it does effect me when i play masters/some high dias. i was forwarding the issue as it had been analyzed by the sc community, not bitching about unit x.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I think its cute that you were calling for people to talk like adults when you've been whining like a bronze leaguer who just lost to marauders. Noobs can see lategame tvp problems? what a joke.

i've seen pros trying lategame tvp thor play and i dont even pay attention to the matchup at all, but hey coolio says thors lose free to ht so i guess thats that. thors confirmed useless, thanks coolio!

you make it sound like i thought that up, start a thread about late game tvp on tl and youll hear the same stuff.

honestly, balance talk on here is pointless, ill leave that stuff to tl.

and panda, i dont know how could you attack someone on not talking like an adult in that very same sentence. amazing

WedgeX

Banned
What the crap is with everyone hanging out in three different channels on mumble?

We're gamers, and anti-social enough as it is.

Keikaku

my first post in this thread today was me posting a long response from a good player on the matter. this isnt even my problem most of the time. most of the time im playing against terrible toss players but it does effect me when i play masters/some high dias. i was forwarding the issue as it had been analyzed by the sc community, not bitching about unit x.

Really? Because that's not what you sound like when you say stuff like:

in tvp:

tanks suck, ravens suck, banshees suck.

the raven thing is really perplexing. what are you suppose to do with the raven? pdd a mile away is all i can think of.

the gas units suck in tvp

thors suck - ht
reapers suck - they just suck
bcs with no upgrades suck - ht/blink
banshees suck - ht
ravens suck - ht
tanks suck - blink/zealots

hts merk ghosts too. its so easy to defend your hts with minimal effort. but its a black ops mission for the ghosts to emp them before or during an engagement

you just need 1 feeback per 300/200 unit to quarter or even half its hp

That absolutely sounds like you bitching about units.

hamchan

Watching MLG Winter Arena now, looks the same as any other tourney except without the crowd atmosphere, not sure if it's worth the $20.

Anyways I think it's good that Terran gets to QQ now after 2 years of Zerg and Protoss QQ.

Zzoram

I've played against Thor/Hellion/Banshee as Protoss. What I do is get high Templar and don't bother to research storm, then I just feedback away and my zealots and stalkers win

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
you make it sound like i thought that up, start a thread about late game tvp on tl and youll hear the same stuff.
you seem to have an extremely high opinion for random threads on TL that i don't share.

honestly, balance talk on here is pointless, ill leave that stuff to tl.
bit redundant, balance talk in general is pointless because nobody has anything worth saying and almost nobody is capable of having something worth saying.

and panda, i dont know how could you attack someone on not talking like an adult in that very same sentence. amazing
I'm not the one being a dumbass calling on people to act more mature than I'm willing to act myself.

Mairu

Watching MLG Winter Arena now, looks the same as any other tourney except without the crowd atmosphere, not sure if it's worth the $20.

Anyways I think it's good that Terran gets to QQ now after 2 years of Zerg and Protoss QQ.

Seems pretty well put together right now. All the first games started on time and there's very little breaks in between each individual games, you don't ever see that on LAN streams :p

The colors being washed out on the main stream and looking perfect on the additional gameplay streams is bothering me though

Deadman

According to slasher the first series on each stream is free. PPV sales are said to be ahead of expectations.

Im pretty sure im gonna cave and buy even though im busy for most of the weekend. I hate myself.

cdyhybrid

Which good player was that? It didn't say. Also, I assume that that's a Korean since they're the only good players. That's pretty impressive English.

ksan

Good job MLG on making me sign in on 4 different streams while having them all in the same window

and no keyboard shortcut for fullscreen :(

Quality is good though...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Terrans should never lose TvP anyway because they can scan and kill observers with vikings allowing cloak banshees to kill every single HT or have P waste 10 storms.
Even worse if Terran flanks with cloaked ghosts from multiple angles.

Battle hellion range is ass, aoe is ass, slow as hell. Horrible unit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I don't even know what that means, but OK.

Since you can't actually seem to keep track of what you've been saying, I wouldn't want you to confuse yourself further.

i take back the plat comment, upon reflection your responses were perfectly tame. we misunderstood each other though but im too lazy to argue the matter any further.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Which good player was that? It didn't say. Also, I assume that that's a Korean since they're the only good players. That's pretty impressive English.

not sure, it was a repost from tl. i can tell its a solid post though simply because of how it reads, how much sense it makes, and its general acceptance amongst the high masters that were debating in said thread.

Top Bottom