• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley - Tips and tricks (including 20 things NOT to do on first year)

Neiteio

DISCLAIMER: It's important to note that, despite the below tips sounding "complex" or "essential," the game itself is very lenient and forgiving. So it's perfectly viable to just go in blind and enjoy discovering the game for yourself. But if you want to be a tad more efficient building your farm, the below tips can help.

BEGIN THREAD:

Stardew Valley arrives on the Switch this week. While watching a trailer for the game, I saw a link to a video by GameSharkHD on 20 Things You Should Not Do In Your First Year, which made me realize that Stardew Valley has a lot of depth. There are some common mistakes that can eat into your time. You can still ultimately do everything, but there are simple tips to do things more efficiently.

So! I figured we could prep for the game by sharing some "first year" tips in this thread. I've written a summary of the video's contents below. I'm not sure I fully understand each point (an "evil-side dojo?"), but maybe the SDV vets can elaborate on each tip (and share their own).

20 Things To Avoid During The First Year:

1) DO NOT purchase the chicken coop when you first have the option. The chicken coop costs too much money and resources, and the chickens also require food. Buy the silo first!

2) DO NOT cut all the grass on your farm. Save most of the grass until you have the silo; then cut the grass, turning it into hay you can store in the silo. Free food for animals!

3) DO NOT cut down all trees when clearing your farm. Save a few of each of the different types of trees. You can place ”tree toppers" on them to produce all kinds of goods. Sure, you can replant trees, but it takes awhile for them to grow. Also, trees can generate wood when needed.

4) DO NOT sell all the seeds you get from the trees. You can use them to replant trees and to craft a recipe called "field snacks" that is a good energy source for your character.

5) DO NOT pull an all-nighter past 2 a.m. Your character will pass out. Also, avoid staying up past midnight since it will cause a decrease in your character's energy the next day.

6) DO NOT speed-run through the spring season. Focus on the community center right away, which will require some spring crops and spring forage items. Missing these will require a full year to try again.

7) DO NOT purchase the cheapest seeds, since their crops will not bring in much profit. Try to focus on buying the MPC seeds (Most Profitable Crops) such as cauliflower. These will create huge amounts of profit for your farm.

8) DO NOT buy speed grow or fertilizers for all of your crops. These cost a lot and will lose profit on most crops. Much easier to create fertilizer yourself. Only use it on multi-harvest crops such as green beans to generate most profit.

9) DO NOT craft sprinklers yet. It costs a lot of resources (iron and gold) to make them, which you won't have much in first year. Just save resources and water plants yourself.

10) DO NOT upgrade your watering can on a sunny or productive day. Wait until the weather is forecasted to rain, or use winter to do this.

11) DO NOT sell every single item you find or make; there will be a time when you'll need them, so store some away just in case.

12) DO NOT walk around town with a tool selected; you may accidentally use it and drain energy and pass out. The sword or scythe, however, won't consume energy.

13) DO NOT go mining on a ”bad luck" day — you will find no items to sell or ores you need. It's slow mining with bad luck. Mining on a "good luck" day will yield tons of items.

14) DO NOT go into the mines while carrying valuable items. Leave them in a chest. Dying or passing out in the mine will lose items in your inventory.

15) DO NOT sell every single gold-quality item you find (items marked with a star). You can show them off at a festival judged by mayor, which will mean higher chance to win.

16) DO NOT choose the Fruit Bat Cave. Takes a very long time to get one piece of fruit, and often the fruit is a low-value forage item. Choose the Mushroom Cave instead.

17) DO NOT check trashcans for items near an NPC. It will trigger them and you will lose friendship points.

18) DO NOT sell your ancient seed artifact found from mining or artifact worms. You can trade it to the museum for a recipe for ancient fruit, the most valuable and profitable crop in the game. If you sell it, it will take a very long time to find it again.

19) DO NOT join the evil side dojo. Don't fall for their lies. It will ruin your experience. Completing the community center yourself is much more rewarding.

20) DO NOT marry on the first year. No benefit to it in the early game.

Also, another excellent tip:

Seeing as this game has no trophies on the Switch, people should be even less anxious.

Like, #11, about not selling your shit and rather hoarding it:

If you're anxious about what's safe to sell:

http://www.stardewcommunitychecklist.com/ -> "alphabetical" -> search for the item.

If it's not on that list, it's only needed for absolutely not-game-essential completionist stuff (like cooking all recipes or crafting all items in the game).

(The community center bundles give you access to some advanced gameplay stuff, like a greenhouse, the mining carts etc. - so it can be rather frustrating to know you'll have to wait a whole year until you'll get a certain reward, just because you happened to sell a certain item.)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Here's some advice for new Stardew Valley players: Don't read this list and just play and discover shit on your own. Seeing this game as a spreadsheet that needs to be min-maxed is not worth it.

If you want to get married, get freaking married. If you want to venture into the depths, go ahead!

MattAces

Here's some advice for new Stardew Valley players: Don't read this list and just play and discover shit on your own. Seeing this game as a spreadsheet that needs to be min-maxed is not worth it.

If you want to get married, get freaking married. If you want to venture into the depths, go ahead!

Can confirm. Don't bother watching trailer/reading any guide at all.
The fun part playing during launch was the lack of information from everybody.
Discovering shit in this game is magical.

Yeah I just started and I feel like trying to remember all this would just make things more stressful

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can confirm. Don't bother watching trailer/reading any guide at all.
The fun part playing during launch was the lack of information from everybody.
Discovering shit in this game is magical.

Yeah, this game is extremely pleasant and forgiving. Can't even imagine viewing it as a game where you have to min-max mechanics.

Just have fun, folks. This is one game where this is possible.

heringer

This.

Part of the fun is discovering this stuff for yourself!

Neiteio

I can understand wanting to go in blind, but it seems like not knowing some of this stuff will tack another dozen hours onto your playtime just trying to get another chance to do something you want to do.

Perhaps part of my desire for efficiency is the fact my backlog is so stacked and Odyssey is on the horizon, lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can understand wanting to go in blind, but it seems like not knowing some of this stuff will tack another dozen hours onto your playtime just trying to get another chance to do something you want to do.

Oh no, another dozen hours? I've put hundreds into Stardew Valley, the moment-to-moment gameplay is a lot of fun. And a big part of that is simply being creative.

Venfayth

13) DO NOT go mining on a ”bad luck" day — you will find no items to sell or ores you need. It's slow mining with bad luck. Mining on a "good luck" day will yield tons of items.

Bad luck vs Good luck is ~ -10% to +10% on rng rolls, it's not that big of a difference.

16) DO NOT choose the Fruit Bat Cave. Takes a very long time to get one piece of fruit, and often the fruit is a low-value forage item. Choose the Mushroom Cave instead.

Eh, debatable. The Fruitbat Cave can get you rare tree fruit that you can use for various community center bundles that would otherwise cost you thousands of gold and entire season growing a fruit tree.

Other than these minor points, good list! Enjoy the Valley!

This kind of list isn't even approaching minmax. Trust me. Most of it is generic good advice that will only save you time or trouble.

yunbuns

Yeah automatically being successful on your first play through dampens the fun. Look up tips when you need to but just enjoy the ride. You can always do another play through afterwards following this stuff.

Fliesen

Yeah, this game is extremely pleasant and forgiving. Can't even imagine viewing it as a game where you have to min-max mechanics.

yeah, i kindasorta agree.

While i loved my "min-max" playthrough on PS4, the 'blind' first run on PC was definitely more magical.
The fact that the only 'min-max' checklist you have is the community center, and it's unlikely you'll complete it throughout your first year anyways - it gives you the perfect chance to learn and slowly build up.

Like, the fact that you can't grow crops in winter kinda forces you to either get accustomed to raising livestock, or do some runs in the mines, etc.

The only super valuable tip is the one with: wait with upgrading your watering can (the item you'll first want to upgrade, intuitively) for a day where tomorrow's forecast is rain.
It's not a huge game changer that ruins the experience.

regardless of whether you wanna minmax:
http://www.stardewcommunitychecklist.com
is a good resource for as soon as you want to work on the community center.

Neiteio

This kind of list isn't even approaching minmax. Trust me. Most of it is generic good advice that will only save you time or trouble.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Stuff like saving grass for hay and buying the silo first to store it seems like really smart stuff.

Neiteio

The only super valuable tip is the one with: wait with upgrading your watering can (the item you'll first want to upgrade, intuitively) for a day where tomorrow's forecast is rain. It's not a huge game changer that ruins the experience.
Even though I wrote this tip, based on the video, I don't fully understand it. If the next day is going to rain, why would I upgrade my watering can then? Wouldn't the rain irrigate my crops for me?

samn

I can’t relax when playng this game because of the time limit. I will never be able to play a videogame and not min max.

There’s always a rush to get back to bed. I wish the game just let you sleep anywhere without consequence.

Yeah, this stuff really killed.it for me. Just have fun. If you make mistakes, you make mistakes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Bad luck vs Good luck is ~ -10% to +10% on rng rolls, it's not that big of a difference.

Eh, debatable. The Fruitbat Cave can get you rare tree fruit that you can use for various community center bundles that would otherwise cost you thousands of gold and entire season growing a fruit tree.

Other than these minor points, good list! Enjoy the Valley!

I know, but this game isn't half as fun approaching it as a puzzle to be solved in the 100% most efficient way possible.
Again, I spent hundreds of hours playing this game including entire playthroughs with a lot of min-maxing and it ruins the magic a bit.

It's a game that shines when you just do stuff because you want to, not because you read somewhere that it brings in the big bucks by the bucketload.

yeah, i kindasorta agree.

While i loved my "min-max" playthrough on PS4, the 'blind' first run on PC was definitely more magical.

Exactly! Let first-timers appreciate this game pure. It's so good.

Venfayth

Even though I wrote this tip, based on the video, I don't fully understand it. If the next day is going to rain, why would I upgrade my watering can then? Wouldn't the rain irrigate my crops for me?

Takes two days for the blacksmith to upgrade your watering can.

Water your crops, turn in your watering can to the blacksmith.
The next day it's raining, which waters your crops for you.
The following day pick up your upgraded watering can and water your crops.

If you don't utilize a rainy day this way, your crops will take a day longer to sprout since they won't have gotten watered during the middle day.

I know, but this game isn't half as fun approaching it as a puzzle to be solved in the 100% most efficient way possible.
Again, I spent hundreds of hours playing this game including entire playthroughs with a lot of min-maxing and it ruins the magic a bit.

It's a game that shines when you just do stuff because you want to, not because you read somewhere that it brings in the big bucks by the bucketload.

That's not what this post is doing, lol. Like, if you actually look for minmaxing advice, you'll find that it is way more complex and detailed than these kinds of mundane advice guides/lists. This is just a bunch of pro tips which will save you time and hassle.

Fliesen

If you take a tool to the blacksmith, you won't get it back until the day after tomorrow.
If there's no rain tomorrow, your plants will go without water for a day, which means you'll lose out a whole day of growth - which can really suck.
Like, if you planted some spring plants just in time so they'd be ready for harvest on Spring 28th (last day of spring) - that entire harvest would go to waste due to that one day you went without water.

Neiteio

Takes two days for the blacksmith to upgrade your watering can.

Water your crops, turn in your watering can to the blacksmith.
The next day it's raining, which waters your crops for you.
The following day pick up your upgraded watering can and water your crops.

If you don't utilize a rainy day this way, your crops will take a day longer to sprout since they won't have gotten watered during the middle day.
Oh, nice! So basically, when it's sunny one day but rainy the next, water your crops on the sunny day and then give to blacksmith to upgrade it. Then the next day, the rain will water your crops for you, and then you'll get your upgraded can afterward.

Fliesen

Oh, nice! So basically, when it's sunny one day but rainy the next, water your crops on the sunny day and then give to blacksmith to upgrade it. Then the next day, the rain will water your crops for you, and then you'll get your upgraded can afterward.

Exactly.

Rainy days are so great, because you can spend the entire day doing other stuff (like go to the mines, cut down trees) without having to tend your crops before. Like, usually you'll be 'stuck' at your farm doing your chores until at least 11am.

If you wanna minmax, i can only recommend using http://www.stardewcommunitychecklist.com
There's a very explicit "checklist" within the game that unlocks rewards and QoL improvements via the community center.

The list there - especially filtered by "season" is incredibly helpful. Because there's certain items, most importantly certain fish, that can only be caught under very specific circumstances. Like eels that can only be caught in: the ocean, during Spring or Fall and only during night time - for example.

Unicorn

I've had this on Steam but waiting for Switch. I don't know why.

Wish the multiplayer was local as I'd love to share a split Joycon with my SO and farm together.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's not what this post is doing, lol. Like, if you actually look for minmaxing advice, you'll find that it is way more complex and detailed than these kinds of mundane advice guides/lists. This is just a bunch of pro tips which will save you time and hassle.

And yet I feel this list somewhat ruins the discovery part of the game.
You don't need to talk down to me like I don't know what min-maxing Stardew is like. I just want to recommend that people play this game how they want and not according to some guide or rules.

If you make mistakes, then that's okay. Roll with it. It's part of the fun.
Following a guide to maximize your first playthrough is fine as well, but for me some of the magic of the game died once I got insight into all the behind-the-scenes mechanics.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but didn't they suggest the Switch version would launch with a co-op ability and they'd patch it in to other consoles later?

Switch store says it's still a 1 player game.

Neiteio

Exactly.

Rainy days are so great, because you can spend the entire day doing other stuff (like go to the mines, cut down trees) without having to tend your crops before. Like, usually you'll be 'stuck' at your farm doing your chores until at least 11am.
Good to know. Also, happy to hear rain is in this game. I love rain in videogames! <3

The limit for passing out is at 2 AM rather than 1 AM.
Thanks, fixed the OP. What's the penalty for "passing out" anyways? Starting the next day with diminished energy?

/thread

Nah, I get where you're coming from, Neiteio. I think Hoo-doo's advice is spot-on though. I'm sometimes tempted to play the 'right way.' It's nice to have a reminder that not only is there not a right way, but searching for one may spoil the fun.

Comandr

Disagree about most profitable crops.

Each time you harvest a crop you gain farming experience, so collecting a lot of parsnip for instance in the first spring can be very valuable when summer comes around and you can already build sprinklers.

My tip: Work really hard every day on your farm and in the mines as much as you can in the first spring.

On the 15th(?) of spring Salmon Berries will be on almost all of the bushes in the game and replenish very quickly. You get foraging experience from picking them, and they'll provide all of the stamina and health you need to keep farming and mining until late at night.

I recommend only parsnip the first month, get that exp up for summer. Plan around that Pierre's shop (general store and seed shop) is CLOSED on Wednesdays.

Plan tool upgrades for rainy days. Ready to upgrade your watering can? Is it going to rain tomorrow? If so, do all of your watering, and dart over to the blacksmith. He'll have it for the rest of that day, all of the next day, and it will be ready the following day and you won't have missed any watering opportunities.

Animals pretty much suck. Unless you are super into getting a big animal farm, and sure, you can, more power to you. But as much effort, time, SQUARE FOOTAGE (for both housing and grass) and money they require, crops are far more profitable imo.

Truant

Completely agree. I have no idea why people want to game the systems like this. Robs all the heart and soul out of it.

Venfayth

You don't need to talk down to me like I don't know what min-maxing Stardew is like. I just want to recommend that people play this game how they want and not according to some guide.

Following a guide to maximize your first playthrough is fine as well, but for me some of the magic of the game died once I got insight into all the behind-the-scenes mechanics.

I'm not talking down to you, I'm responding to your own words.

You're the one comparing this list to 100% minmaxing and solving puzzles. Which it's not. That's what I'm saying. I'm not trying to be argumentative but the response to this helpful list of tips and tricks of "dont listen to any advice because it will ruin the magic!!" befuddles me a little bit.

It gives the impression that this stuff is spoiling an important part of the game, the only thing these tips spoil are time wasting endeavors that might frustrate people. Well, minus the not getting married in the first year tip, but the rest aside are fairly solid innocuous tips.

I totally sympathize with the notion that learning the mechanics of a game over time reduces the magic, but again, these tips are not the important parts of the game that will make or break it for you. This notion of preserving the magic for other players by not posting useful advice is just a little bit silly. If people want to experience it without advice, they just won't click the thread.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I mean I get the spirit that these tips are coming from, but I think it's against the spirit of the game, and don't serve to make it more enjoyable. The thing that really helped me out was:

1) DO NOT stress. Nothing is permanently missable, besides a few (very very) small examples that aren't worth bringing up. If you screw something up, you can fix it. Play at your own pace.

2) That's it.

I think telling someone not to chop their trees is just asking for someone to mess up the pastoral feel of the game. Once you realize you can Tap them for syrup and whatnot it's easy to plant more. Same with accidentally swinging a tool by having it equipped. If you pass out, it's no biggies.

In a game like Persona 5 where it really matters when and how you do things. Stardew is specifically set up so that you have another chance to do EVERYTHING.

Build a tree farm if you want. Or a winery. Or don't build anything and just build up your Social links with everyone.

Fliesen

You don't need to talk down to me like I don't know what min-maxing Stardew is like. I just want to recommend that people play this game how they want and not according to some guide or rules.

I feel you should also accept that there's people who are very anxious about games that allow for too much exploration and that might be really happy about some rather innocent "pointers" that prevent them from making rookie mistakes. As others have pointed out, this is by no means some min-max fun ruining shit.

Good to know. Also, happy to hear rain is in this game. I love rain in videogames! <3

Thanks, fixed the OP. What's the penalty for "passing out" anyways? Starting the next day with diminished energy?

Yeah, and that rain is actually something you're looking forward to! You'll be actively looking forward to rainy days, your cows will be in their barn, which makes for easy milking, your plants will water themselves. - you'll have the time and energy to go for some mining or monster slaying. Rainy days are the greatest.

Also, yeah - if you pass out, you'll start the next day with a serious energy penalty (50%) and some of your money lost.

xealo

I mean I get the spirit that these tips are coming from, but I think it's against the spirit of the game, and don't serve to make it more enjoyable. The thing that really helped me out was:

1) DO NOT stress. Nothing is permanently missable, besides a few (very very) small examples that aren't worth bringing up. If you screw something up, you can fix it. Play at your own pace.

2) That's it.

I think telling someone not to chop their trees is just asking for someone to mess up the pastoral feel of the game. Once you realize you can Tap them for syrup and whatnot it's easy to plant more. Same with accidentally swinging a tool by having it equipped. If you pass out, it's no biggies.

In a game like Persona 5 where it really matters when and how you do things. Stardew is specifically set up so that you have another chance to do EVERYTHING.

Build a tree farm if you want. Or a winery. Or don't build anything and just build up your Social links with everyone.

As for not chopping down trees, you can just put tappers on trees outside your farm area to solve that.

In my game I've 3 tappers each in the area with the bus, above the farm, and in the forest below it, with the farm itself completely cut down.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This may shock some of you, but some of us enjoy min/max. I know, weird. Good list OP.

Unai

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but didn't they suggest the Switch version would launch with a co-op ability and they'd patch it in to other consoles later?

Switch store says it's still a 1 player game.

No, they didn't. What they said is that the Switch would be the first console with multiplayer, not that that it would be at launch. The roadmap was something like that:

- Stardew Valley releases on the Switch;
- Multiplayer comes to PC;
- Multiplayer comes do Switch;
- Multiplayer comes to other consoles.

Fliesen

As for not chopping down trees, you can just put tappers on trees outside your farm area to solve that.

In my game I've 3 tappers each in the area with the bus, above the farm, and in the forest below it, with the farm itself completely cut down.

Yeah, the tapper thing is just for convenience.
Realistically, you'll always have trees in the area just south of your farm.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not talking down to you, I'm responding to your own words.

You're the one comparing this list to 100% minmaxing and solving puzzles. Which it's not. That's what I'm saying. I'm not trying to be argumentative but the response to this helpful list of tips and tricks of "dont listen to any advice because it will ruin the magic!!" befuddles me a little bit.

It gives the impression that this stuff is spoiling an important part of the game, the only thing these tips spoil are time wasting endeavors that might frustrate people. Well, minus the not getting married in the first year tip, but the rest aside are fairly solid innocuous tips.

I totally sympathize with the notion that learning the mechanics of a game over time reduces the magic, but again, these tips are not the important parts of the game that will make or break it for you. This notion of preserving the magic for other players by not posting useful advice is just a little bit silly. If people want to experience it without advice, they just won't click the thread.

I just feel it's a disservice to the game to act like these are 'essential tips' for people starting fresh with Stardew Valley.
They aren't. The game should be about you choosing what to do when and how you want to.

Sure people can just close the thread, but I feel going into the game with these rules and do's and don't's does the first playthrough a massive disservice, regardless on how you view it as just time-saving or less frustration. There are already people chiming in here that would have preferred to not have known these things. The game is hardly punishing in any way and in my opinion going in blind without a list of rules is the optimal way to play.

But i've said my piece. Hope people enjoy this game.

No, they didn't. What they said is that the Switch would be the first console with multiplayer, not that that it would be at launch. This roadmap was something like that:

- Stardew Valley released on the Switch;
- Multiplayer comes to PC;
- Multiplayer comes do Switch;
- Multiplayer comes to other consoles.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom