• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Shattered Space Deep Dive Trailer Released

Hot5pur

I haven't picked up starfield yet.. at all
Did it end up being a half decent game on the end? Bugs fixed?

Bartski

Gold Member
that's the video they were showing at gamescom, so the one about Indie should be also out soon.

Kacho

Decent game? Not really. They have fixed a lot of the technical issues and added some new content. If Bethesda truly plans to support it for years like Fallout 76, it could be decent eventually. I don’t think Shattered Space will be the turning point. Give it another year or two.

Last edited:
Can’t believe they took this away from people right before the dlc, with those gamepass changes. Thought Standard just wouldn’t get day 1 games going forward.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
Decent game? Not really. They have fixed a lot of the technical issues and added some new content. If Bethesda truly plans to support it for years like Fallout 76, it could be decent eventually. I don’t think Shattered Space will be the turning point. Give it another year or two.
I'm waiting for both expansions to be released, which should come by mid 2025, as well as the inevitable PS5 port

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I have the premium edition (you can shame me for that) and yet there is no way I'm reinstalling this game to try it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Right off the bat you can see the difference in focusing on a single handcrafted planet where everything takes place, versus 1,000 no name procedurally generated planets.

And everyone in the video working on this looked like a nerd/dork so that’s a good sign. That’s who we need making our games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Are they adding something to make the base game more enticing?

Right off the bat you can see the difference in focusing on a single handcrafted planet where everything takes place, versus 1,000 no name procedurally generated planets.

And everyone in the video working on this looked like a nerd/dork so that’s a good sign. That’s who we need making our games.
Very encouraging stuff. I'm a fan of the base game, so I'm excited to come back to it. I just wish they'd go back and get all the ugly random NPC generation out of the game.

Paasei

Haven’t played this in a long time. As per usual with these type of games, I was completely distracted from the main story that I never finished.

I’ve been waiting for official mod support to try it out. Not 100% sure if it’s there just yet. However, I’m still not really interested in giving it a good try again.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Haven’t played this in a long time. As per usual with these type of games, I was completely distracted from the main story that I never finished.

I’ve been waiting for official mod support to try it out. Not 100% sure if it’s there just yet. However, I’m still not really interested in giving it a good try again.
The official mod support on console is ok. It's made my current playthrough much more enjoyable.

No, in fact I'd say it's one of their worst games yet. Not sure about the bugs, I ran into some at launch but I assume some of those were ironed out.

simpatico

Bugs aren’t even the biggest problem. The design doc is. Best part of Bethesda games was always the exploration rabbit holes full of environmental story telling and loot. You can’t do that with proc-gen sloppa, so we’re left with the worst parts of Bethesda games and none of the good. It actually puts more focus on the bad. The writing is too much to even ignore and head cannon away. Bethesda is/was a top 5 dev for me and I couldn’t get more than 5 hours in. It’s just boring.

Last edited:

Ribi

ehhhh... seems like they're trying to make the DLC in Bethesda fashion but the base game fell so flat who can get hyped for this and those preanimated landing ship scenes?

fatmarco

Never gonna happen.

This game’s problems can’t be fixed with a patch or update.
I don't know, they could always add good stories, good characters and good voice acting, all things the original game had basically none of. Or you know, handcrafted anything?

The game has plenty of potential because its the same core engine as some great games before it. The issue with Starfield is that it doesn't even meet the standards of those previous games in the most important respects, and even makes Fallout 4's story look good in comparison.

The game is just on a whole bizarrely lazy and poorly directed, all things that could be fixed if they actually wanted to save their game and IP.

Last edited:

Sooner

I finished the campaign at launch. That was already well more than enough Starfield for me for the rest of time.

Kurotri

All this trailer did is convince me that it'll be just more of the same. It's an almost 10 minute long video and I still have no proper knowledge for the expansion besides the "entirely handcrafted locations" and "something fucky happened with house varuun". I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't call this a "deep dive". I don't think I gained any new knowledge from this. The most annoying, and most telling, part of the video are the amount of cuts and edits. Ever since we got a small teaser a few weeks back for the expansion when they launched the car update the "marketing" for Shattered Space has remained the same: A huge amount of sudden cuts and edits to try and make it seem more mysterious than it really is, a poor attempt at creating a mysterious illusion. Top all that off with some generic dialogue and you got yourself....some more Starfield.

I guarantee that it'll be the same vapid and surface-level deep as a puddle trite like the base game. Atleast the shooting and the visuals are good and the car and minimap update will make the navigation more tolerable. But none of this can bring me back.

JayK47

I did pay for this, so I guess I will play it. Probably check it out later this year over winter. They did emphasize that the world is hand crafted. Sure. First expansion. Yep. Also probably the last.

Roberts

Travelling the stars in the base game gave me joy that games rarely do and I've been itching lately go get back into it. So this is more than a good reason to do it.

Not really DLC related but Starfield can be a very funny game, in the most intentional way, and super under-appreciated one at that.

geary

Sometimes i wonder if you guys played the base game, pushing over and over the narrative that this game is like 90% procedural. You can actually get 50+ hours of only handcrafted quests and locations if you do the main quest, faction quests and side quests. No other game gives you 100h of handcrafted content and here is not exception, but there is a lot of handcrafted locations and quests.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
They made a point of spelling out the fact that it is handcrafted. Curious to see how players respond to this vs the base game.

Shubh_C63

THIS x 10 should have been in the original game.
Goddamn what a scam. No wonder Bethesda see Starfield launch as successful, now they can sell well crafted DLCs that should have been in the game for years.

Entire DLC covers the whole planet map, without the need to go anywhere and avoid witnessing their abysmal space travel. So 1000 dlcs incoming till ES6 comes out.
I will play this. Dreading having to re-apply all the mods again.

I don't think Starfield had any bugs. Not even joking. Just loooooad times.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Deleted all my mods. Will get this a month after release after the mods have been patched. I am unable to stomach the vanilla UI.

salva

the king has returned GIF

LastBattle

This looks great! I loved what I played of the vanilla game, which was probably over 100hrs. I never did finish it as with all Bethesda games, I got side tracked in all the side faction and side quests. Now wondering, do I hold off for more of the inevitable QoL improvements to the base game, or jump back in and finish it and play through shattered space?

Top Bottom