• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: Shattered Space | Review Thread

ZehDon

They only added that to the game because the momentous walking between locations was something people complained about

I don't think people care enough about the game to even complain about things any more, so I'm not sure Bethesda actually care enough about the game to carry on fixing things any more either
Cool, except everything they’ve shown is that they intend to continue.
If the reception is this bad, why would they continue? Who is going to buy the next expansion? Poor reviews for this one is going to sour anyone on the fence. Add to that the increased interest in Fallout and it seems like pouring resources into this game is going to be a tough sell to the MS execs.
Same was said about No Man’s Sky and Cyberpunk. But hey - no one has to play it right now. I’m certainly not buying their overpriced DLC given how little it adds. If it’s not doing it for you, step away. Until they confirm they’ve stopped supporting it, I’m happy to see what improvements they makes on a case by case basis. The wheeled vehicle, for example, was terrific!

Quezacolt

i won't even bother with this dlc. There's no way they could make it a better experience from the base game.
The first 2 or 3 hours of the base game still had that Bethesda magic, but then, it all went downhill. Honestly, i would rather replay Fallout 4 than to ever touch Starfield again.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think it is understandable as this was the next goalpost when core problems of Starfield were mentioned before: first deny they are problems then admit them only to hipe the next “thing” (“years of DLC’s, you will see it with the real one like Shattered Space”), then blame a conspiracy against the Microsoft fanbase, then either go back to deny the problems or hype the next DLC, and then at some point you can start hyping up ES and complain that people are stuck thinking about Starfield and should move on.

Some people will do exactly this.
The funny thing is that Shattered Space is pretty much what Skyrim will be.

Their entire defense was that Starfield became too ambitious. If only they focused more on a single planet with curated stories, like Skyrim, Starfield could have been much better - because that's Bethesda real strength is.

Now Shatterd Space, which does exactly that with the focus on a single planet, is reviewing even worse than Starfield (and even Concord!).

I wonder how they will hype up Skyrim now and spin how exactly it will share a different fate than Shattered Space.

JackMcGunns

200w.gif
No one is allowed to like the DLC.

Love the base game, especially now, love the DLC. Horror tale for Gaf

Tg89

Honestly, Bethesda is a shit studio these days, haven’t made a good game in a long time. So I’m not surprised this is bad.

That said, I am shocked it’s somehow worse than the base game lol. Must be a real pile of shit.

Astray

I think it's kinda telling that judging by the number of pages on each thread, this DLC review thread is getting less than %3 of the main game's review thread (3 pages vs 131).

Whatever went on with the original game has thoroughly bummed out a lot of the fanbase and they're completely tuned out. I think it's kinda pointless to put any more resources into this game, I'd certainly be questioning the value of a PS5 port too. The brand is just too contaminated imo.

The same web site that gave halo : infinite a perfect 10/10
I can let that pass. They gave Redfall an 8.5!

Topher

Gold Member
which is why Xbox Era’s 9/10 is so suspect, even if the DLC is ~10 hours (which it sounds like that’d be on the short end of the actual estimate) they got their review out way too quickly to have played through it 🤨

Xbox Era is run of the mill shill at this point. I mean....look at how they scored redfall....

bh0rhKD.png

edit: Astray Astray already point this out

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
The problem with Starfield is that they wanted to make a Space Sim
errrr not really.

Their comments and how the game is designed, I don't see anything that supports thats their intention.

https://www.pcgamer.com/todd-howard...f-fuel-in-starfield-because-its-a-fun-killer/

So, I don't get this idea of folks making it sound like it wants to be this or "wanted" to be that, they never state this, they never make any statement about seeking to create a simulation, in fact they make clear their intention is more fun then simulation. So I'm sure this is what they want cause Fallout has a survival mode, its not like the team doesn't get you can make some extreme concept with lots of limitations to add to some simulation type feel, but I don't see any evidence this was ever their intention

Last edited:

Corian33

Disappointing. I bought the deluxe edition on hype, thought the base game was okay but put off playing more until this expansion to see if it added a lot to the experience. Looks like it does not, but I’ll probably still go through the game at some point.

The worst thing that happened to Starfield was coming out right next to BG3 and Phantom Liberty. You can’t even pretend it’s half as interesting after playing those games.

Top Bottom