• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: Shattered Space | Review Thread

Nydius

To repeat what I wrote in the other thread, I was really hopeful this being a bespoke location would recapture some of the Skyrim or Fallout magic but after 2.5 hours I was literally falling asleep in my chair. It’s so dull and bland and more of the same Starfield that I burned out on a year ago.

For the asking price, it really needed to offer an evolution of the original gameplay, not just be a slight extension. Alas, it’s the same old combat loop with the same old cardboard companions and braindead NPCs only with worse performance and more jank.

At least my constellation edition chronomark is still chugging along.

Last edited:

JTCx

LMFAO

Game of the gen folks

laughing-michael-jordan.gif

Last edited:

Bkdk

Looks like bethesda will just cancel all future content for starfield and finally abandon this completely. Then a few years later they will put out ES6 trailer showcasing surgical scar but no boob size customization options.

ZehDon

Looks like bethesda will just cancel all future content for starfield and finally abandon this completely...
They've publicly stated they regret moving on from their prior games as quickly as they have because they simply didn't realise they could support them long term and fans would stay around. I imagine Starfield is Bethesda's grand experiment in long term support, and I can't see them dropping that support any time soon.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
They've publicly stated they regret moving on from their prior games as quickly as they have because they simply didn't realise they could support them long term and fans would stay around. I imagine Starfield is Bethesda's grand experiment in long term support, and I can't see them dropping that support any time soon.
maybe in the old days where Pete Hines was still there and they weren't owned by a triple trillion dollar company. (incentive to fix/improve the game)

based on the steam performance, it's safe to assume that this game didn't have a positive impact on Game Pass Subscribers, nor increasing game sales ( it's lifecycle is basically done) 🤔..... Now, if they release a PS5 port and sells 10+M then I can see significantly supporting the game. as of right now... maybe another DLC of the same caliber as this....but I don't see how Bethesda can pull off a Phantom Liberty redemption arc for this game.

Nydius

I feel like 15hrs shouldn't be a talking point at all. If people complain about "only 15Hours" they would've loathed SNES and N64 era, which still has games ranging from £60-£100 btw

When the DLC is almost half the cost of the base game, I think the total hour length is a valid discussion.

$70 for a full, complete game that’s 80-100 hours (or longer) but $30 for a 15 hour DLC that uses a lot of recycled elements and doesn’t really make any substantial changes to the core gameplay? Value is subjective, of course, but I can’t fault anyone for looking at price vs. value and having a negative opinion.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I enjoyed the game before a lot of the QoL things were implemented. I also applaud Bethesda for trying something new, but have they not listened to the user feedback?

Gonzito

The expansion started interesting I must admit, the Oracle was cool and I liked the environments and feeling. It reminded to Prey. The problem comes when you land to the planet and again you are being told that you are the chosen one to save them. Bethesda has no imagination at this point, and then you do some sort of ridiculous ritual that takes 5 minutes and you are one of them, just like that. I dont know man it seems like it was written by children. They need better writers in this company. The voice acting doesn't help either, it's just not good enough when you compare it to something like Cyberpunk o Baldurs Gate. The graphics are quite good looking I must admit, I really think Bethesda artists have improved very much in this regard but yeah the narrative and dialogues really bring down everything.

It's a shame really and I think it might be best just to put down this game and focusing in their next elder scrolls with a better approach to writing and narrative

Mephisto40

Think the complete opposite tbh, I honestly don't think they would have even bothered making this DLC if it wasn't for the fact that so many people had already purchased it when they bought the early access edition

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I feel like 15hrs shouldn't be a talking point at all. If people complain about "only 15Hours" they would've loathed SNES and N64 era, which still has games ranging from £60-£100 btw
Different audiences. People had less choice less often and actually replayed games and tried to complete them. In the modern ADHD / dopamine drugged world this does not happen (it is ironic because people demand humongous games, polished games, and yet do not want to pay for them much … and still most people never complete or even sometimes play they humongous games they demanded to be sold to them 😂).

Dafegamer

Different audiences. People had less choice less often and actually replayed games and tried to complete them. In the modern ADHD / dopamine drugged world this does not happen (it is ironic because people demand humongous games, polished games, and yet do not want to pay for them much … and still most people never complete or even sometimes play they humongous games they demanded to be sold to them 😂).
I feel attacked but I'm also guilty of this. Plenty of games in my backlog but never finish most of them. It's also a big reason why I haven't bought FFVII: Rebirth yet, play time would be way to overwhelming for me at this point. I'm already feeling it in The Witcher 3, but at least the story so far is gripping. It's a bad habit I know :/

ZehDon

Think the complete opposite tbh, I honestly don't think they would have even bothered making this DLC if it wasn't for the fact that so many people had already purchased it when they bought the early access edition
Cool, but that's not what Bethesda has said nor shown. They've put out free updates - including adding wheeled vehicles into the game - over the last year, and there's no indication that they're planning to stop with their updates.

Mephisto40

Cool, but that's not what Bethesda has said nor shown. They've put out free updates - including adding wheeled vehicles into the game - over the last year, and there's no indication that they're planning to stop with their updates.
They only added that to the game because the momentous walking between locations was something people complained about

I don't think people care enough about the game to even complain about things any more, so I'm not sure Bethesda actually care enough about the game to carry on fixing things any more either

Roberts

There is nothing in the DLC that will make you "get" Starfield all of a sudden. You either get what they were aiming for or you don't. If you don't, it is not your fault, don't worry. But for those of us who enjoyed the main game, DLC is a nice bonus. It is not as good as some of the faction quests in the game, but it is a solid experience without doing anything groundbreaking. Bethesda are no strangers to talking about politics, religion, social problems and this one kind of has it all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I feel attacked but I'm also guilty of this. Plenty of games in my backlog but never finish most of them. It's also a big reason why I haven't bought FFVII: Rebirth yet, play time would be way to overwhelming for me at this point. I'm already feeling it in The Witcher 3, but at least the story so far is gripping. It's a bad habit I know :/
Sorry, do not mean to attack anyone really… it is just a difficult situation hehe.

Darchaos

I think they are done with Starfield after this, and will move on. This DLC didnt move the needle one bit, hell on steam right now there is 9k playing and the peak for the dlc release sits at 22k....

Looks like you might still need to grow up a little, and maybe master the art of keeping your emotions in check while you're at it.
Nothing emotional about it.

Those are meant as word of encouragement to the fanbase.

When one is playing a game and enjoying it, seeing such reviews send them second guessing. They start seeing flaws everywhere to make sense of it.

I know reviews have no bearing on my enjoyment of the games. One such game that I thought was 10/10 was wrecked in reviews. So I know better.

But anyone here is naive enough to get affected by review scores (both positive and negative), know that you are being played.

GHG

Nothing emotional about it.

Those are meant as word of encouragement to the fanbase.

When one is playing a game and enjoying it, seeing such reviews send them second guessing. They start seeing flaws everywhere to make sense of it.

I know reviews have no bearing on my enjoyment of the games. One such game that I thought was 10/10 was wrecked in reviews. So I know better.

But anyone here is naive enough to get affected by review scores (both positive and negative), know that you are being played.

So you're literally admitting to being a fluffer?

Mownoc

And the new expansion launch barely put it above fallout 4 in steam players.

I guess I'll keep waiting for Starfield to get good before I try it again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So you're literally admitting to being a fluffer?
I think it is understandable as this was the next goalpost when core problems of Starfield were mentioned before: first deny they are problems then admit them only to hipe the next “thing” (“years of DLC’s, you will see it with the real one like Shattered Space”), then blame a conspiracy against the Microsoft fanbase, then either go back to deny the problems or hype the next DLC, and then at some point you can start hyping up ES and complain that people are stuck thinking about Starfield and should move on.

Some people will do exactly this.

Last edited:

Mownoc

Agenda seems clear.

Overrate Astrobot

Underrate Starfield

I think core Bethesda fanbase is strong enough. They will pull through this shit.
86pSOsB.jpeg

The "core Bethesda fan base" presumably make up most of the people who bought it on steam and rated it 38%.

But yes people who bought it must be part of the "agenda" too. Hopes and prayers Bethesda can pull through this vicious attack.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If the reception is this bad, why would they continue? Who is going to buy the next expansion? Poor reviews for this one is going to sour anyone on the fence. Add to that the increased interest in Fallout and it seems like pouring resources into this game is going to be a tough sell to the MS execs.

Top Bottom