• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Static Shock - Warner Archives Announces DVDs for 'The Complete 1st Season'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice.

In 2004, stores received a Warner DVD release titled, "Static Shock - Vol 1: The New Kid"...a single-disc, 6-episode package. The item is long out of print, and fans have been longing for more from the show. Putting aside a pair of crossovers with Justice League Unlimited, the Static Shock animated series ran for 4 seasons and 52 episodes...and the first season alone clocked in at 13 episodes.

Now the Warner Archive has announced that on March 28th they will release Static Shock - The Complete 1st Season on DVD. Our thanks to reader Jackson Burnett for the heads-up. This new manufacture on demand title will cost $24.99 SRP, and cover art is below (you'll notice it's the same key artwork as the old "Vol. 1" release!).

staticshock_s1ezkcv.jpg

Remember: His codename is Static. Not Static Shock.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yes! I love this show! Boy Static Shock is a great hero. They should add Static Shock to Injustice 2. Phil LaMarr should voice Static Shock.

I would buy all of the shows digitally especially if they have Spanish dubs so I can improve my Spanish skills while enjoying my favorite super hero.

Slayven

Huh... Does Warner do that a lot?
I might buy it for my nephew if they include foreign dubs as they did with Batman TAS and Justice League.

Actually it is, you can get a lot of their classic catalog that way. Shit like Blue Falcon & Dynomutt, Captain Caveman, etc.

Yes! I love this show! Boy Static Shock is a great hero. They should add Static Shock to Injustice 2. Phil LaMarr should voice Static Shock.

Too early in the morning for this nonsense

vypek

I loved this show. I think I'll have to pick this up. Really loved when he was added to Young Justice as well

I never understood the love for this show. I enjoyed the rest of the DC cartoons at that time, so Batman of the Future, Justice League, Teen Titans, but I could never get into this. From the episodes I watched it seemed to focus more on the non superhero side of his life, kinda like X-Men Evolution did, which I also wasn't a fan of.

Was it just one of those shows that had a slow start and got better as it went on, so I should maybe give it a second chance, or was it all very similar throughout it's entire run?

Ross61

I never understood the love for this show. I enjoyed the rest of the DC cartoons at that time, so Batman of the Future, Justice League, Teen Titans, but I could never get into this. From the episodes I watched it seemed to focus more on the non superhero side of his life, kinda like X-Men Evolution did, which I also wasn't a fan of.

Was it just one of those shows that had a slow start and got better as it went on, so I should maybe give it a second chance, or was it all very similar throughout it's entire run?

Probably just not for you, but it was great. It has an equal focus on his social and superhero life, while tackling social issues.

Nice to see they're still releasing stuff. Static Shock is a little after my time, but I'd love more Taz-Mania releases. Or dare I say it, more unreleased Looney Tunes shorts?

Uh, he did super hero shit in every episode. It was a nice balance. If you watched Batman Beyond, I don't see how Static would be a problem.

ionitron

Awesome! I... probably wouldn't buy it, but I love this show, watched it every day after school.

Probably objectively the best of all the "Normal kid gets super powers" shows I watched.

shingi70

Banned

All super hero all the time is boring. It's one of the reason why X-men, Spider-man, and Staic blew up in their heydays. They were essentially soap operas with super heroics.

Probably just not for you, but it was great. It has an equal focus on his social and superhero life, while tackling social issues.

Uh, he did super hero shit in every episode. It was a nice balance. If you watched Batman Beyond, I don't see how Static would be a problem.

All super hero all the time is boring. It's one of the reason why X-men, Spider-man, and Staic blew up in their heydays. They were essentially soap operas with super heroics.

I think a big problem for me was that I only really liked Virgil out of the main cast, and the fact that they didn't really seem to have many 'big' villains at all.

I like my superhero shows to have a good mix between real life and superhero life, but from what I remember of it (which admittedly isn't much) is that it always reminded me of how the Superman show with Dean Cain was, where it was basically the life of Clark Kent, where he'd use his powers to do things then put on the suit towards the end of the episode and save the day, as opposed to something like X-Men, where it always felt like a programme about the X-Men as a superhero team, but you got to look into their real life as well.

Kyzer

Banned
why does this feel 10 years late. DVDs of the 1st season damnit give me the whole series blu ray already

Penguin

Just bumping that one... it drops next week and season 2 is already in the work...

But the really incredible news to share with our readers today is that the studio won't be stopping there! The Warner Archive Collection has informed us that they will be distributing Static Shock - The Complete 2nd Season as well, and soon, too!

They're not ready yet with a date, or pricing, or details or package art. But in this business, fans sometimes don't want to buy a first season set, without knowing that more is going to follow. So today we're here to tell you that the folks at Warner seem committed to Static Shock DVDs.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Static-Shock-Season-1/23130

Static Shock's second season comes super-charged with new, more dangerous metahuman menaces, an array of special guest stars, and more of its unique mix of high adventure and social drama. The stakes go high as Static gets drafted into “The Big Leagues” when the dynamic duo – Batman and Robin - travel to Dakota in search of The Joker (Mark Hamill). “Uncle J” to the meta-humans, The Joker is wreaking his own special brand of “hilarious” havoc on the citizens of Dakota, giving Static (Phil LaMarr) the opportunity of a lifetime…to team up with his favorite superhero – the Dark Knight. Other superstar surprises this season include stints in Dakota from none other than hoop hall-of-famer Shaquille O'Neal (Steel), who just happens to be tight with Static's Pops and The Backstreet Boys' A.J. McLean, who lends some music career advice to Rubberband Man. Things take a turn to the serious in the special episode entitled "Jimmy," looking at the issue of gun violence in school.

LewieP

Cool. I never saw this.

Next give me Mask of the Phantasm on Blu Ray.

Edit: I believe none of the other DCAU stuff is available in a higher that DVD quality source, MOTP is the exception, since it had a 35mm theatrical release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom