• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth Bastard |OT| Tactical Espionage Arsehole [Free!]

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why is this game free?

I don't take kindly to free things.

Volodja

Tried playing it but whatever key I assign to them down goes up and right goes to the left while the left and up buttons just don't work.

onebitbeyond

Neo Member
"Tried playing it but whatever key I assign to them down goes up and right goes to the left while the left and up buttons just don't work."

Delete your .sav file, and load the game again. Would love to know what buttons you're assigning so I can make sure there's no weird problems going on

"A duck button would be great."

You can assign 'Down' to any key you want. Admittedly, the windows would then use up and crouch to navigate up/down, but the mouse is better anyway, right? Joystick has (on 360 pad) B Button to crouch, X Button to hack/activate.

360 dpad is unlikely, since Game Maker requires a custom extension to properly support it. Would be a ballache, but if enough people want it...

Also: YES, FREE! I wish people would get over it! ;)

onebitbeyond

Neo Member
"Free? What the fuck?! What's the catch? Where can I donate?!"

You could buy Explodemon PC, if you wanted? Go halves with another would-be donater if you don't want to spend the full $10? Hey, you know what, it's pretty good once it gets going!

I love everyone who wants to pay. Dearly. <3

This game was a bastard to install. First time, it tried to install into the firefox folder. Then I gave it it's own folder as target directory, and it fired up but said some file was missing. Then I restarted my PC and tried again, and this time it installed into the Steam Folder. I humored in, and now it works.

WTF?

onebitbeyond

Neo Member
No idea why that happens. I'm just using WinRAR's built in self-extracting archive creator.

Don't use the default directory it offers, it just chooses wherever you've downloaded the file to. Pick somewhere sensible manually, like C:\Games\StealthBastard, and it should all be fine.

Planning on running out a better installer this week, since folk seem to have issues with this one.

Keikaku

onebitbeyond said:
No idea why that happens. I'm just using WinRAR's built in self-extracting archive creator.

Don't use the default directory it offers, it just chooses wherever you've downloaded the file to. Pick somewhere sensible manually, like C:\Games\StealthBastard, and it should all be fine.

Planning on running out a better installer this week, since folk seem to have issues with this one.

I have no issues with the game, it's price point or anything else.

I just wanted to say "Thanks" for the game. Shine on you crazy guy you.

Valygar

The game works without issues for me, and it's awesome. Maybe it's a bit too short (I don't really think so) and lacks a proper intro, but the important thing, the gameplay, and the awesome level design - retro style are a big yes.

I also advice to try to win money with this. It's awesome that you made it free, but it's better than many indie games out in steam.

If I were you I would try steam + some indie bundle, or if you would rather not do that, at least put a donation thing in the webpage, so you can keep track of how many people actually love the game. If I wasn't unemployed I would donate gladly, I will think on Explodemon.

Great work guys!

Volodja

onebitbeyond said:
"Tried playing it but whatever key I assign to them down goes up and right goes to the left while the left and up buttons just don't work."

Delete your .sav file, and load the game again. Would love to know what buttons you're assigning so I can make sure there's no weird problems going on
Deleting the sav file and deleting all the files and downloading again didn't help, the problem is still there.
I've tried assigning the arrow keys, the numpad keys and WASD, the only functioning direction inputs are still down and right and they are reversed, even in the menus.

I can't believe you are not charging for this (not that I mind of course).

As far as indie games go; this is as good as any I have played (and better than most). The production values in your game are very high, and it has a really unique look to it. Well done.

Grakl

Stealth Bastard 2: Up Your Arsenal
haha get it im cool

Installing now, great trailer.

Yeah, this is really fun, haha. Great music, too. Love the style.

onebitbeyond

Neo Member
Volodja said:
Deleting the sav file and deleting all the files and downloading again didn't help, the problem is still there.
I've tried assigning the arrow keys, the numpad keys and WASD, the only functioning direction inputs are still down and right and they are reversed, even in the menus.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the definable keys. I've never experienced anything like that. I'm kind of at the mercy of Game Maker's input system, so not sure what I can do about it.

Are you using a non-QWERTY keyboard? Do the default keys or joystick work OK, or is it always borked?

Dascu

Played through the first three "worlds". Pretty fun game. Love the little details, like how the push-able block pillars cheer up when they see you.

Volodja

onebitbeyond said:
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the definable keys. I've never experienced anything like that. I'm kind of at the mercy of Game Maker's input system, so not sure what I can do about it.

Are you using a non-QWERTY keyboard? Do the default keys or joystick work OK, or is it always borked?
The keyboard is a normal querty one, default keys and my arcade stick pull the same trick on me.
Oh well, that's too bad, maybe I'll try it on my laptop.

Installing this now. I had to give this a shot, based on the name alone.

Edit: I can't even start a game, it just hangs on that initial menu. Re-installed the full game, restarted my computer, same hang. Play Stealth Bastard > New Game > Hang. Esc to terminate session, stays in that menu, game becomes unresponsive, have to kill it with task manager.

Nothing in the changelog and google is bringing up nothing. Maybe I'll try re-installing just the dll's.

This game does not want to run :(

Grakl

After playing it a significant amount more, I can't believe this game is free. It's extremely fun and does everything I want in a stealth game to do. The music is catchy and there is a level editor. Oh man I've always wanted to create levels like this.

onebitbeyond

Neo Member
If you're having issues with getting it to run, install to C:\StealthBastard instead of Program Files. Your lovely Windows UAC is preventing it from creating the files it needs to run.

EDIT: Please spread the word about this, since it seems to be a common problem. Thanks!

onebitbeyond said:
If you're having issues with getting it to run, install to C:\StealthBastard instead of Program Files. Your lovely Windows UAC is preventing it from creating the files it needs to run.

EDIT: Please spread the word about this, since it seems to be a common problem. Thanks!

Awesome, that did the trick. I'm going to spam Stealth Bastard on facebook right now and probably check out Explodemon!

Cheers, this is an awesome little game. Why aren't you guys selling this for like 5$?

Soulstar

I'm definitely going to download this it looks to good not to. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until after school to try it.

So I contacted the devs:

shagg_187 said:
To: support
Subject: Help!

I clicked on Support to find a "Support the dev" link, not this!

Where can I donate?!!! Where is my "PAYPAL" link?!

And the reply:

Curve_Studio said:
Hi shagg,

Many thanks for your support and interest in the game!

If you'd like to support Curve, we'd love it if you bought a copy of our recently-released Explodemon! on PC (http://www.explodemon.com/) - that way you get to donate AND get another game.

However, since several people have asked so nicely, we've also added a donate button to http://www.stealthbastard.com/

Have fun playing Stealth Bastard!

Kind regards,
Curve Support

Aww yeah!! :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't know if this has been asked but is there a way to make the game higher res? No ini or anything to edit as far as I can see.

I did add 8xSSAA. I think it looks smoother now for sure.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stealth Bastard Deluxe coming to a Steam near you!
A4g5Y3CCYAIjWMy.jpg

A4g5W6DCEAEO34B.jpg

@above, no, you can change the video size to 2x-3x in the options but still revel in awesomely crisp pixel graphics. Don't add AA!

Logged into steam and saw it on front page.

Just downloaded this game, so good, so so good. I'm in love. Where has this game been in my life. Dishonored, Mark of Ninja, and now this game all within a month's span. Great time to be a gamer. Give whatever company made this game your monies, it's worth it.

Top Bottom