• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that awesome looking Tenchu-like game that we were talking about in the Steam thread?

Looks like it's coming in 6-7 months.

Visually, it's shaping up very nicely. If the combat keeps to the original Tenchu, in that avoiding combat frequently was not just viable but advisable, this game can be killer.

Tizoc

header.jpg

Right then on with the review...of a sort.
The best thing about RotTR is the bow and arrow, it's just so satisfying flinging arrows at people's faces, having enemies (and occasional wild life) suffocate on poisonous fumes from your poison arrows, having grenades explode on people's faces with explosive arrows, or seeing them squirm to their death suffering from SecondFirst degree burns from your Fire Arrows.
Yet the game thinks you need an Assault Rifle, handgun and a shotgun to murder people with for some bizarre reason.
Sadly that is the one good thing I can say about this game.

The devs stated there'd be more tombs, which doesn't amount to much because these extra tombs leave so much to be desired, that completing them ends up feeling like needless padding.

Even the overworld is designed to pad on extra game time because performing the side stuff is superfluous, which doesn't help when the main campaign isn't anything amazing to write about, outside of being a homicidal maniac with a bow and arrow.
Although to be fair there are a few sidequests that give you items that you can use to get items and weapon parts, but really you wouldn't be missing out on anything by skipping these side missions and focusing only on the main game.

The game's upgrades are among the most moronically designed ones I've seen in a game yet; when pressing the Right Stick various crafting items would be highlighted in yellow in case you don't notice them; one of the upgrades you can get HAS THEM LIGHT UP IN YELLOW WHEN YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO THEM, by then said items or components are easy to spot that you wonder why they even bothered with such a thing.

It gets more absurd though; one of the abilities you can learn speeds up climbing walls with the pix axe and another let's you open crates faster, where before it only took around 5 seconds. Why on earth did they think these 2 needed to be unlockable upgrades? Who thought up this crap?

Now I won't say I didn't enjoy myself; murdering people with the bow and arrow was indeed satisfying, but that's just it; nothing else about the game impressed me and the tombs were leaving so much to be desired with their shortness and (slightly entertaining) simplicity.

They should just make a game where you're just run around murdering people with a bow and arrow, something like I dunno Elite Sniper or something?

In fact, make Jonah a playable character; he was my fav. character in the 2 games and has the kind of beard dudebros only dream about.

All in all I give this game.... 2/5. Is it worth playing? I'd say so if you want your Uncharted fix and enjoy murdering enemy mooks with bow and arrows, but if you're looking for something that actually requires proper use of your grey cells, look elsewhere.

Arthea

Remember that awesome looking Tenchu-like game that we were talking about in the Steam thread?

Looks like it's coming in 6-7 months.

Visually, it's shaping up very nicely. If the combat keeps to the original Tenchu, in that avoiding combat frequently was not just viable but advisable, this game can be killer.

looks good, now it only needs to play just as good.

rtcn63

The
poison cloud arrows
you get in RoTR early-game are so powerful. I'm not sure if I can recall if any non-animal enemies were actually immune to them.

indiegala also has a dead bits Steam key if anyone needs one of those.

That saddest casualty of Steam refunds was card idling :( I haven't idled since the 2 hour thing went into effect.
For me Idlemaster idles all games that need the 2 hour wait simultaneously so if you have a lot of games to idle that isn't too bad. The real problem is the drop rates for cards falling off a cliff. It used to be I'd get all the card drops within an hour but these days (including the 2 hour wait) I'm looking at at least 3 hours and sometimes nearly 8 hours (something I've not seen since Awesomenauts).

Lomax

That saddest casualty of Steam refunds was card idling :( I haven't idled since the 2 hour thing went into effect.

That was removed for a lot of people, you might want to check and see.

brothers was pretty boring when it comes to gameplay, just moving 2 dudes at the same time climbing and carrying stuff, so it boils down to whether you like the story or not

The gameplay was still the most brilliant integration of gameplay with narrative I've ever experienced. No, it wasn't particularly challenging, but it was truly innovative and something I think everyone should experience.

Boring is the least of it's problems. A few of the other problems I specifically had with the game:
The glider section was poorly designed.
The "puzzle" involving getting up into the Giant's house were poorly designed and forced you to do things a specific way even though other ways look perfectly valid.
The "fight" with the spider lady *forces* you to pull out the last leg even though there is literally NO REASON to. She's no longer a threat to the brothers and they could just go on their way to get the medicine they need before their father dies. It's forced on you just so there's an excuse to kill the older brother and try to evoke a cheap emotional response cause "oh no, character dies", but doesn't work because the character isn't really ever established to the point where you can develop a real attachment to either of them.
The game then goes on to pull some random events which of course have to culminate with the "hold the dead brothers button/stick to help the little brother conquer his fear of swimming", which just seems forced and trite at that point.

All valid. Especially
the spider bit, there really should have been some choice there, I thought it took a lot away from the game.
But I still think it's a game worth playing, and in a world of seeing the same types of games over and over and over, its uniqueness has a lot of value.

Annubis

For me Idlemaster idles all games that need the 2 hour wait simultaneously so if you have a lot of games to idle that isn't too bad. The real problem is the drop rates for cards falling off a cliff. It used to be I'd get all the card drops within an hour but these days (including the 2 hour wait) I'm looking at at least 3 hours and sometimes nearly 8 hours (something I've not seen since Awesomenauts).

That or be part of the 'never refunded' elite club excluded from the 2 hours rule.

Anteater

I'm quite enjoying my time with psychonauts, didn't like it that much when i first played it years ago, but I guess it clicked this time.

The level/overworld design are pretty decent so far, I'm not a big fan of collecting shit but I sorta enjoy exploring in this game, so even when they forced you to collect a bunch of arrowheads to buy an item, it was sort of enjoyable (it only took me like 10mins), I'm currently at the milkman conspiracy, which I heard good things about.

Game looks good for a ps2 game.

and oh they patched in controller buttons

Arthea

That or be part of the 'never refunded' elite club excluded from the 2 hours rule.

as I said before, those two hours isn't even an issue, when most games take hours to get all cards, like a card per hour is now "good" drop rate.
Idling all day - one game done - 5 cards, 200 left to idle, you do that math, get all depressed, I should stop buying games with cards for cards, actually.
I'll do that, just have to break the pattern.

I'm quite enjoying my time with psychonauts, didn't like it that much when i first played it years ago, but I guess it clicked this time.

The level/overworld design are pretty decent so far, I'm not a big fan of collecting shit but I sorta enjoy exploring in this game, so even when they forced you to collect a bunch of arrowheads to buy an item, it was sort of enjoyable (it only took me like 10mins), I'm currently at the milkman conspiracy, which I heard good things about.

Game looks good for a ps2 game.

All 5 OG Xbox fans are shaking their heads at this

Teggy

You know, I've got to agree they did a piss poor job with faces in XCOM2. It's not just that there aren't many cute female faces, the male faces are pretty terrible too. One guy I got pretty much looks like a neanderthal with a heavy brow and protruding lips. They did a pretty nice job with all the customizations (hats, face coverings, hair, tattoos, armor styles, colorings, etc.) but it's just weird that the faces are so crappy. I'll have to see if people are starting to mod new faces in.

]

Yeah, that's one of the benefits of idlemaster, having it do a batch idle for new games with <2h playtime.

Some games do have drop rates that seem excessive... however, I'm not the best person to gauge them since I generally leave idlemaster running if there's any card drops remaining at all. When I play games while idlemaster is running, it slows the drop rate, but sometimes it will also cause them to queue several quick drops together.

Either way, the spread/fame of idlemaster and card gathering programs like it was it actually got people to idle games with card drops remaining... so while it made it easier for us, it also increased the supply of cards which caused the market floor to drop like a rock.

The
poison cloud arrows
you get in RoTR early-game are so powerful. I'm not sure if I can recall if any non-animal enemies were actually immune to them.

Nothing that I've found so far is actually immune, either way, though non-deer exotic type animals definitely are barely phased by any of the special ammo.
They offset the power by limiting capacity and requiring a bunch of resources to get more (until you get the lockpick, which lets you find that type of ammo in lockers, I think.)

It gets more absurd though; one of the abilities you can learn speeds up climbing walls with the pix axe and another let's you open crates faster, where before it only took around 5 seconds. Why on earth did they think these 2 needed to be unlockable upgrades? Who thought up this crap?

The story (note: I haven't 100% finished it, but I'm pretty much at the end) is standard Uncharted/Tomb Raider narrative.

The gameplay is more of TR2013 with a few twists, most of which I didn't think were positive changes overall, I can write up thoughts on that later if anyone is interested.

But I wanted to address something you said (I edited the quote down above):

The open crates faster is probably a bit useless for most people, but it probably has uses if you're trying to sneak through most of the game so you can open things faster and get back to somewhere safe... that said, I'm just speculating, cause it's one of the few abilities I haven't bought the upgrade for yet.

The problem with the "climb rock walls faster" upgrade isn't that it exists. It's that you can't get it until extremely late game. I spend 98% of my time on the climbable rock jumping and grabbing/re-attaching because Lara moves so slow on those walls with her default speed.

It really is.

"Oh, 5 dudes huddled around?" - Poison Arrow

Just way too OP.

Fixed that for you. ;)

There are never 5 dudes huddled around by default, at least not on survivor difficulty... you have to aggro them and then try to get them to group up. I don't think I've seen a spot with more than 3 enemies grouped together, especially before you get the upgrade to increase the cloud size. I've also seen dudes that were on the edge of the cloud that results get out of the cloud, cough, and then come after me.

(The first place I found to set up and get the "kill 5 with a poison arrow" achievement was in mid-game location spoiler
The Acropolis, when you get the cutscene where they're rounding up and shooting the natives.
After that cutscene, you can aggro everyone and then run back toward the campsite and it forces them to group up and come through the archway. People were also using this for the "kill 3 enemies with 1 shotgun blast" achievement, but even on chapter replay elite with upgraded shotguns on the easiest difficulty, that didn't work for me. I had to go use a setup with an explosive red barrel in the next area to get that one.)

I've never been refunded* yet I still have to wait more than 2 hours for anything to drop.

*I attempted to get a refund and Valve was all "computer says no". Was that enough to blacklist me?

That's probably 0.40$ in cards right there. Thanks for posting. Who said free lunches didn't exist?
With all the talk of card drop rates here I have to say I think this the equivalent of queuing up at the soup kitchen for free food.

You know, I've got to agree they did a piss poor job with faces in XCOM2. It's not just that there aren't many cute female faces, the male faces are pretty terrible too. One guy I got pretty much looks like a neanderthal with a heavy brow and protruding lips. They did a pretty nice job with all the customizations (hats, face coverings, hair, tattoos, armor styles, colorings, etc.) but it's just weird that the faces are so crappy. I'll have to see if people are starting to mod new faces in.

as bad as they are in what ive seen of Xcom 2, you should go back to Xcom 1 and see how terrible they are in that game

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Onimusha revival in discussion at Capcpom

"Conversations are happening at high levels."

Capcpom is in talks with Yoshinori Ono about the possibility of bringing back PS2 action series Onimusha, according to a new report by UK newspaper Daily Star.

Speaking to the paper, Ono revealed that he had "spoken internally with people who made Onimusha with me originally and talked about maybe how interesting it would be to revisit that series. But fans should know that we&#8217;re not further down that road than the discussion phase."

Ono worked as a sound manager on the original Onimusha before working his way up to producer on Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. Dead Rising producer Keiji Inafune also served as producer for each game in the series.

"All I can do for now is reassure fans that conversations are happening at high levels," Ono continued. "We [Capcpom] realise the need for different series to maybe come back into the forefront and although there&#8217;s nothing to talk about right now, I&#8217;m sure in the future there will be news on variety of series that will keep the fans happy. [Fan's] favourites are going to come back."

Onimusha debuted on PS2 in 2000, spawning five further titles in the six years following. The latest game in the franchise, the browser-based Onimusha: Soul, debuted on PC back in 2012. Capcpom has yet to formally announce any plans for the series' future.

Ono's latest game, meanwhile, Street Fighter 5, launches on PS4 and PC next week.

So. How is Arslan? Its coming out tomorrow and it looks kinda cool, but its a K-T game that will be broken for sure on PC and could get repetitive.

Parsnip

Firewatch in a day? Fucking hell, February is busy.
I think I'll play through that as soon as possible since it's short.

Is this true about RE5? From the Steam forums:

Yes. It install it because you can still migrate your g4wl progress to steamworks from some menu in the game.
I wish they would have had a clean steamworks branch on public, and had that migration stuff on its own beta branch.

Oh. And this one too. Maybe I'll skip the beta and just play the first location when it launches proper.

Hot hot hot.

my first XCOM 2 campaign got fucked hard. who wants to be in the next?
Install that Finland nationality mod and put me in.

Dr Dogg

...meanwhile on Flickr I've got ~2,000 screenshot that aren't compressed to shit and still only scratched 0.3% of my free 1TB allowance. Can't remember how many Steamshots I'm up to (I think 700 with about 1.7GB of space left) but I just use them these days for quick a dirty uploads to show stuff off.

Anteater

...meanwhile on Flickr I've got ~2,000 screenshot that aren't compressed to shit and still only scratched 0.3% of my free 1TB allowance. Can't remember how many Steamshots I'm up to (I think 1.6K with about 1.7GB of space left) but I just use them these days for quick a dirty uploads to show stuff off.

I use quality 10 jpeg for all my steam screenshots, it isn't so bad

the thing with uploading to steam is that I get to force all the people on my friendlist to look at them if they click into their activity feed, can't do that on flickr!

Rizzi

Looking at the steam achievements, it took me five years to get around to devoting any serious effort to learning Civilization V.
... It might have also taken me that long to win a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom