• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pm0pm1t.gif

Courtesy of the good Dr. Dogg.

Epic.

my first XCOM 2 campaign got fucked hard. who wants to be in the next?

I got you, fam.

Fixed that for you. ;)

There are never 5 dudes huddled around by default, at least not on survivor difficulty... you have to aggro them and then try to get them to group up. I don't think I've seen a spot with more than 3 enemies grouped together, especially before you get the upgrade to increase the cloud size. I've also seen dudes that were on the edge of the cloud that results get out of the cloud, cough, and then come after me.

(The first place I found to set up and get the "kill 5 with a poison arrow" achievement was in mid-game location spoiler
The Acropolis, when you get the cutscene where they're rounding up and shooting the natives.
After that cutscene, you can aggro everyone and then run back toward the campsite and it forces them to group up and come through the archway. People were also using this for the "kill 3 enemies with 1 shotgun blast" achievement, but even on chapter replay elite with upgraded shotguns on the easiest difficulty, that didn't work for me. I had to go use a setup with an explosive red barrel in the next area to get that one.)

What changed.....oh, you ;)

Yeah I'm not playing on Survivor, I've found 3-4 guys huddled around on a few occasions. It's basically a layup.

But now my save won't load after Drunk-playing the other night, so that's awesome.

Firewatch in a day? Fucking hell, February is busy.
I think I'll play through that as soon as possible since it's short.

How short? I'm thinking of knocking it off quickly since I should be able to finish my 100% story run of RotTR tonight and then have a clean slate to start something new. Firewatch would be great, since it was a gift, so if I can knock another gifted game off the backlog, that's always a plus for me. :)

Anteater

This isn't like Gone Home. More akin to a Telltale game. First person narrative adventure

sounds like I'll enjoy firewatch

How short? I'm thinking of knocking it off quickly since I should be able to finish my 100% story run of RotTR tonight and then have a clean slate to start something new. Firewatch would be great, since it was a gift, so if I can knock another gifted game off the backlog, that's always a plus for me. :)

supposedly 6hrs or so

GaussTek

This could be good news for PC gaming in general (really sorry if this has been posted before):

Pirate Group Suspends New Cracks to Measure Impact on Sales

The China-based cracking group that recently bemoaned Denuvo's anti-piracy system as all but unbreakable has delivered a second surprise announcement. 3DM says it will stop working on single-player games cracks for at least a year so it can assess whether genuine sales will be affected.

Yeah, it's just one group, but one of the most popular out there nonetheless.

Parsnip

i wager you will once again be a fantastic soldier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoTR8sBGfyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DooHjdF083E

Supposedly it's 5-6 hours.

This could be good news for PC gaming in general (really sorry if this has been posted before):

Pirate Group Suspends New Cracks to Measure Impact on Sales

Yeah, it's just one group, but one of the most popular out there nonetheless.

It had a thread a few days ago on GAF. Considering how every game-pirate is the most racist, sexist whatever person on this board, somehow a lot of people were quite knowledgable about this group, how they crack etc.

Doing everything I can to keep it alive.

I would bet that they do a HD collection and from there see what they want to do. I don't really see them jumping straight in for a new game. They didn't even want to do it for Resident Evil 2. Hopefully the ports make their way to PC this time. DMC collection was good.

DMC HD collection needs a PC release. It's currently stuck on my PS3 and I never turn that on any more. Either that or PS4 needs backwards compat added like X1.

Also, I'd love to see an HD remake or HD release of Onimusha 1/2. I couldn't ever get into Onimusha 2 when it came out... but I loved Onimusha 1 so I'd like to give the sequel another go (which would lead to me being up and up and able to give a shot at Onimusha 3 which I own on Steam).

sounds like I'll enjoy firewatch

Gone Home forced you to draw out the story since the game is focused on being by yourself and not knowing what's going on. Firewatch has some sort of dialogue with your "voice" on the other end of the comms to help tell the story... though comparison to a Telltale game doesn't exactly make me giddy at this point. I've played enough of those over the last few months (Tales from the Borderlands, Life is Strange, Game of Thrones, etc.)

Meanwhile, Mike Haggar continues to work the independent circuit.

Good. Leave him there.
He wasn't welcome in my MvC3, and he isn't welcome in my Street Fighter either.

Knurek

Unless the epilogue is all sorts of crazy, I should be done with SC later today.
Just in time for XSEED to announce that this is a Steam version of 3rd, right?

Pachimari

...meanwhile on Flickr I've got ~2,000 screenshot that aren't compressed to shit and still only scratched 0.3% of my free 1TB allowance. Can't remember how many Steamshots I'm up to (I think 700 with about 1.7GB of space left) but I just use them these days for quick a dirty uploads to show stuff off.

I'm curious, what are people using Flickr for? Is this literally like Imgur, where I can upload my images but uncompressed and share it on forums?

Parsnip

...meanwhile on Flickr I've got ~2,000 screenshot that aren't compressed to shit and still only scratched 0.3% of my free 1TB allowance. Can't remember how many Steamshots I'm up to (I think 700 with about 1.7GB of space left) but I just use them these days for quick a dirty uploads to show stuff off.

Is flickr interface still kind of shitty and hard to find direct links to your images (for forum linking and such)? I remember they changed it a few years ago maybe and Alo wrote a Chrome extension that helps with the direct link problem, just curious if it's still the same?

if any of you Have XCOM 2, you can make a character than send it to me, or i can just do it here.

any preferences just PM to me and i'll work on that. i can't guarantee classes, but i will try
I'll send mine in for sure.

Dr Dogg

I use quality 10 jpeg for all my steam screenshots, it isn't so bad

the thing with uploading to steam is that I get to force all the people on my friendlist to look at them if they click into their activity feed, can't do that on flickr!

I used to have a script set up to convert the png shots to high quality jpg's, replace them with the shitty ones and then when uploading them if would be better quality but that was far too much maintenance. I just got Uploader pointed to my screenshots folder and one click and bam! all my stuff is up to date and on Flickr. Steam is a bit of an indecisive so and so if it will show you the source image or a interpolated one depending when you click on it.

I'm curious, what are people using Flickr for? Is this literally like Imgur, where I can upload my images but uncompressed and share it on forums?

Pretty much, that and you get a stupendious amount of storage more than any other free photo hosting service as well as great library options and management too.

Pm0pm1t.webm

Courtesy of the good Dr. Dogg.

Epic.

Gifs man, gifs!

Pm0pm1t.gif

Is flickr interface still kind of shitty and hard to find direct links to your images (for forum linking and such)? I remember they changed it a few years ago maybe and Alo wrote a Chrome extension that helps with the direct link problem, just curious if it's still the same?

I'll send mine in for sure.

Yeah nowt has changed but it's quick simple to grab the source url if you know what to look for (ie if you know the reference id to your pictures you can kind of make the url up and parse through your photo stream with a simple script). I think Alo's extension still works but even still it's like 5 clicks to get to your source file anway. You still use Sta.sh right? That's still one of the other decent options out there as well.

Anteater

Gone Home forced you to draw out the story since the game is focused on being by yourself and not knowing what's going on. Firewatch has some sort of dialogue with your "voice" on the other end of the comms to help tell the story... though comparison to a Telltale game doesn't exactly make me giddy at this point. I've played enough of those over the last few months (Tales from the Borderlands, Life is Strange, Game of Thrones, etc.)

I think the telltale aspect could help if it's not actually the central focus, considering telltale games don't actually have exploring and they're mostly just linear games with a ton of dialogue choices

but I guess I'll find out when I actually play it, don't want to spoil myself too much!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

The only thing that worries me about Flickr is that they are owned by Yahoo and you have to live every day like it's your last.

Pachimari

if any of you Have XCOM 2, you can make a character than send it to me, or i can just do it here.

any preferences just PM to me and i'll work on that. i can't guarantee classes, but i will try

I don't have X-COM 2, only Enemy Within. :( You can either make me Filipino or Danish, up to you. :) And I don't wanna be a big buff character.

Anteater

my friend works in yahoo

i couldn't get him to unlock my yahoo email that was accidentally locked because I forgot my password/secret question

he told me to phone some guy

i'm not doing that just so i can use some tossaway email account

Pachimari

Pretty much, that and you get a stupendious amount of storage more than any other free photo hosting service as well as great library options and management too.

I'm gonna sign up and try it out, but I would basically only use it for image uploads from games or photoshop. What kind of pictures are you guys using it for, like how do you organize your folders?

neither nation is an option
Oh seriously? What a bummer! Now I won't buy X-COM 2.

You could also make me either Spanish or Swedish.

Monooboe

I'm kind of in the same position too, and it's honestly one of the reasons I haven't updated Idle Master lately. I just checked and I have a bit over 1,000 card drops worth about $70. $70 is $70, but then I'd also have to idle 250ish games.

I'll get to it eventually.

Wonder at what point does the computer use more electricity cost to idling for those cards than the cards bring in.

and how is zkylon not out of space yet?

3bRgtAM.jpg

Maybe he plays at a reeeally low resolution?:D

Never played an xcom game but started the Bureau on the weekend(I know its a spinoff), I played a few hours, it was pretty bad, I dont think I can finish it. Now to try enemy unknown.

Lomax

Wonder at what point does the computer use more electricity cost to idling for those cards than the cards bring in.

Pretty rapidly honestly, which is part of why I only do it if my computer is on anyway. The bigger problem is as cards get cheaper and cheaper, valve's cut becomes a larger and larger percentage. On a 20 cent card, the 2 cent cut is 10%. On a 6 cent card, valve's cut is a third. So you get a game with 5 or 6 drops and after a few hours of idling you only end up with a few cents per hour. The other issue is demand just isn't there. Even posting cards at the lowest point, half or more will end up needing to be repriced later. So the time value just isn't there as much. I've made a ton on cards, and still continue to make some, but the well is almost dry and it's nothing like it was.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Depending on where you live and what kind of computer you're using, you're almost never going to even come close to breaking even comparing trading cards vs electricity.

But, if you have a computer that stays on indefinitely for other tasks anyway it doesn't hurt to turn on Idle Master and let it do it's thing. Despite what some inaccurate rumors say about it online, it doesn't take up CPU/GPU cycles "just like it were running the game", that is you'll see no increase in electricity usage from using Idle Master.

Knurek

it doesn't take up CPU/GPU cycles "just like it were running the game", that is you'll see no increase in electricity usage from using Idle Master.

How is that possible?
You still have a thread running on a CPU. Even if only for a few cycles here and there. That has to generate some electricity usage increase.

Monooboe

which is part of why I only do it if my computer is on anyway.

But, if you have a computer that stays on indefinitely for other tasks anyway it doesn't hurt to turn on Idle Master and let it do it's thing.

Ah very true, I usually leave on the computer over night whenever I need to do a combination of things, where idling is one of them, so the extra cents that gives is always a nice bonus.

Speaking of which, I have this problem that maybe someone here on SteamGAF maybe knows something about, whenever I leave my computer on over night to download a game and such and then in the morning when I try to play something I always get half the performance in games. It always is exactly half of the FPS, and if I restart the computer the game again works as it should. I have no idea why and can't figure out a logical reason for it. Since FPS:es in games should mostly be tied to the GPU.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is that possible?
You still have a thread running on a CPU. Even if only for a few cycles here and there. That has to generate some electricity usage increase.

well, that's true. Maybe "no noticeable increase in electricity costs" would be a better way to put it. Some people literally think that Idle Master is running the game itself and that it's just like launching the game and leaving it running for hours. In reality, it's using very little CPU and isn't accessing your GPU at all.

Arthea

Depending on where you live and what kind of computer you're using, you're almost never going to even come close to breaking even comparing trading cards vs electricity.

But, if you have a computer that stays on indefinitely for other tasks anyway it doesn't hurt to turn on Idle Master and let it do it's thing. Despite what some inaccurate rumors say about it online, it doesn't take up CPU/GPU cycles "just like it were running the game", that is you'll see no increase in electricity usage from using Idle Master.

That's the main reason why I never leave PC overnight anymore, my electricity bills are horrifying as it is. And with drastic idling time increase, I finally can forgo my badge collecting addiction.
I actually will go forth and make it my new lunar year resolution, no more buying games for cards, or bundles, or bundles that have games I want (that's pretty much most of them) if I won't realistically be able to play those games in my lifetime.

Rashid is clearly a fan of the handhelds. VitaGAF represent.

Yeah, I saw that. Made me like Rashid just a little bit more...

How is that possible?

While you're *technically correct* (the best kind of correct, according to bureaucrats everywhere, just ask Hermes Conrad), the amount of CPU cycles that idlemaster eats up is pretty much negligible. The thread running the code does 99% of if't time sleeping. Then it wakes up, reads the badge page and sees if the drops went down for the current game, then sleeps again.

Ah very true, I usually leave on the computer over night whenever I need to do a combination of things, where idling is one of them, so the extra cents that gives is always a nice bonus.

Speaking of which, I have this problem that maybe someone here on SteamGAF maybe knows something about, whenever I leave my computer on over night to download a game and such and then in the morning when I try to play something I always get half the performance in games. It always is exactly half of the FPS, and if I restart the computer the game again works as it should. I have no idea why and can't figure out a logical reason for it. Since FPS:es in games should mostly be tied to the GPU.

Very strange -- do you have it set to use any windows hibernation settings? It could be something with sleep/hibernation/power consumption... or it could be a memory leak of some sort.

That's clearly a modded GBA with the L and R buttons as face buttons.

Rashid has a DBZ scouter, for crying out loud. He's not going to waste his time on some outdated kiddy tech.

Parsnip

Yeah nowt has changed but it's quick simple to grab the source url if you know what to look for (ie if you know the reference id to your pictures you can kind of make the url up and parse through your photo stream with a simple script). I think Alo's extension still works but even still it's like 5 clicks to get to your source file anway. You still use Sta.sh right? That's still one of the other decent options out there as well.

Yup, I still mainly sta.sh everything, but they only offer 2gigs of space for free. Of course if I ever run out I can just make more accounts or something. With the rate I actually take shots it will probably last me 5 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom