• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
tyty for the replies, guess i've been unlucky so far

also i hope you get to expand your base cos i'm quickly running out of rooms

Deques

Off-topic post

Isn't there any addon like NoScript for Chrome? I want to block a site's script. More specific Wikipedia's annoying beg for money banners

nvm

fantomena

Bloodbornes fixed review is GTs last review. It's also the only game that has received a 10 from GT.

untitled-1jxrct.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfBpxNDUUdA

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Steam topic not being capitalized this time is almost as bad as those game franchises that won't keep constant capitalization on their releases.

Ban Puncher

They should of rated it 3/10 as they hit the lights on the way out just for shits and giggles.

Full Disclosure - I'll miss Brandon Jones VO.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Gametrailer team saw how well the Kinda Funny guys do on Patreon and decided to use their last breath to pander hard.

Because I can think of a dozen games that're more deserving than the so-so Bloodborne.

I mean sure, it's a pretty good Souls game, but it's not the best Souls game and it's far from the best game we've seen these past two years.

Aye. The Plebstation crowd.

its 1 guy in the team that "fixed" it, he's also obsessed with the souls/bloodborne so it makes sense if you knew the crew.

Arthea

Anybody else having an updated store take forever to load in a browser? like it never stops loading unless I push stop and browser pretty much is unavailable all that time.

Smash88

Banned
Because I can think of a dozen games that're more deserving than the so-so Bloodborne.

I mean sure, it's a pretty good Souls game, but it's not the best Souls game and it's far from the best game we've seen these past two years.

Be careful bud. In the main gaming discussion area you'd get not only a lot of shit, but probably banned for saying stuff like that.

I say let them have their fun, those poor folks are now looking for work. Shit, one of them was on their honeymoon.

Sometimes, you have to separate the gaming-fanboy aspect from this stuff and take into account that these are real people who have families, homes, bills, etc. If someone there felt that they wanted to do one last thing before turning off the lights I'm not going to sit here and wag my finger at them

I say let them have their fun, those poor folks are now looking for work. Shit, one of them was on their honeymoon.

Sometimes, you have to separate the gaming-fanboy aspect from this stuff and take into account that these are real people who have families, homes, bills, etc. If someone there felt that they wanted to do one last thing before turning off the lights I'm not going to sit here and wag my finger at them

Their job was to talk about videogames publicly. The trade-off for such a dream is the total instability of it. Let's not get too watery-eyed and hurrying for the symbolic pouring one out here, as if this was some kind of tragic layoff.

They knew, or, given the current climate of games journalism, should've known damn well what they were getting into when they signed on for a job most people would kill for.

There's a reason people slog through years of work they hate and it ain't the fucking glamor.

cyba89

Opinions? How do they work?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Did Fallout 4 need a new engine?

The internet is a sea of opinions, and many of them concern Fallout 4. Hot takes roam the comment threads like Deathclaws prowl the Commonwealth. “Fallout: New Vegas is a vastly superior game,” argues one, oblivious to all of New Vegas’s many faults and failures. “It’s a really bad FPS with statistics,” reckons another, blind to the fact that it’s a great FPS (with statistics). “A brilliant, massive sandbox of systems,” says me, in my review. It’s opinions all the way down.

Most are harmless enough, and some even make a good point. But one repeated refrain bothers me greatly. It’s the idea that Bethesda should have created a new engine; the suggestion is that, by sticking with Skyrim’s Creation Engine, Fallout 4’s developers were in some way being lazy. This isn’t just wrongheaded, but damaging. It propagates the idea that developers should be forced to utilise the latest, best tech, despite all the ways that could harm a project.

On some level, it sounds sensible. Fallout 4 has its fair share of bugs and glitches. It functions in a way reminiscent of past Bethesda games. It even looks like like past Bethesda games. Given the increased popularity of Bethesda’s RPGs, it’s understandable to see familiarity breeding contempt. It’s easy to get carried away when you play Fallout 4—to imagine a version that’s prettier, smoother and more polished.

The problem is that game development doesn’t work like that. Fallout 4 is a complex, dense production. It works because its development team is now very good at making the kind of games Bethesda makes. They’re deft at weaving together disparate systems into a player-led adventure filled with moment-to-moment choice. A whole new engine could well upset that balance. I suspect that’s why, for all of Skyrim’s improvements, its Creation Engine was just a heavily modified version of Gamebryo. It’s this tech that allows Bethesda’s designers to do what they do, and so it seems counterintuitive to expect them to deviate from it.

The assumption made is that, because Bethesda is a successful studio, it’s also a large one. That isn’t so. A photo of the development team was released at the time of Fallout 4’s launch, showing just over 100 employees (and a dog.) That isn’t many people. I think Bethesda should be celebrated for sticking to a modest, sustainable model, because the alternative is fraught with problems.

As open worlds become more complex, the returns need to be so much higher. It’s likely this reason that Assassin’s Creed games now flirt with microtransactions; why Metal Gear Solid V has a tumultuous development history; and why Just Cause 3 is a huge, lavish, beautiful space with sod-all in the way of interactivity. Fallout 4 has a season pass, but, based on the studio’s past games, its DLC will at least be substantial. And where every other big release features a lengthy, complicated pre-order reward plan, Fallout 4 had none. There are big consumer benefits when a company can afford to develop its games properly.

The Creation Engine has other benefits, too. The most obvious of these is mod support. Time and again we’ve seen developers invest in new, more complex engines, resulting in an editor too unwieldy to release to the public. Mod support is the lifeblood of any Bethesda RPG. It will keep Fallout 4 relevant for years to come.

Despite all this, Bethesda is, to an extent, responsible for the criticism it has received. The announcement trailer for Fallout 4 was pure marketing hype—presenting moody and beautifully lit versions of environments that look much plainer in-game. The most egregious shot is Nick Valentine walking through the town of Goodneighbor. In the trailer, it’s bathed in smoky reds and purples—a scene impossible to recreate in-game without mods. But bullshit marketing is a different problem. It’s not a reason to criticise Fallout 4’s developers for creating an excellent game within their means.

Their job was to talk about videogames publicly. The trade-off for such a dream is the total instability of it. Let's not get too watery-eyed and hurrying for the symbolic pouring one out here, as if this was some kind of tragic layoff.

They knew, or, given the current climate of games journalism, should've known damn well what they were getting into when they signed on for a job most people would kill for.

There's a reason people slog through years of work they hate and it ain't the fucking glamor.

Man, i hope you're never suddenly laid off with zero notice and are left with bills to pay, a mortgage, etc. I'd like to think that you wouldn't appreciate someone dumping on you given the circumstances.

Note, i'm not a GT fan in any sort of way and find certain parts of their fandom obnoxious. That said, it doesn't mean they deserved what happened to them and the manner in which it played out.

Show some empathy, man.

Maniac

Banned
Be careful bud. In the main gaming discussion area you'd get not only a lot of shit, but probably banned for saying stuff like that.

I do say such trite in the main discussions quite often. Not banned yet; Not that I'd necessarily mind too much, mind. There are worse things in life, such as not giving a shite about being alive, for one.
Opinions? How do they work?

They don't if someone thinks Bloodborne is GOAT. Then they're immediately invalidated.

Sarcasm, how does it work?
It's 1 guy who fixed the review. And you applaud them all for losing their jobs over it? Damn.
Sarcasm; How is it understood?

Dang.

Man, i hope you're never suddenly laid off with zero notice and are left with bills to pay, a mortgage, etc. I'd like to think that you wouldn't appreciate someone dumping on you given the circumstances.

Note, i'm not a GT fan in any sort of way and find certain parts of their fandom obnoxious. That said, it doesn't mean they deserved what happened to them and the manner in which it played out.

Show some empathy, man.

But what he said is quite true. GT struggled since years and its not because of the quality of their content, but because the gaming "fandom" is totally different than it was over 10 years ago.

People want to watch mindless LetsPlays. They might want to watch a retrospective, that might take months to produce, but only watch it once while after that they watch the next LP.
The Jim Sterling article hits the nail on the head:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2016/02/gametrailers-was-a-victim-of-itself/

In the current structure, a corporation cant really survive with that.

But what he said is quite true. GT struggled since years and its not because of the quality of their content, but because the gaming "fandom" is totally different than it was over 10 years ago.

People want to watch mindless LetsPlays. They might want to watch a retrospective, that might take months to produce, but only watch it once while after that they watch the next LP.
The Jim Sterling article hits the nail on the head:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2016/02/gametrailers-was-a-victim-of-itself/

In the current structure, a corporation cant really survive with that.

I'm not arguing that GT shouldn't have shut down. Yeah, the business was going in a different direction, the writing was on the wall for them for some time now.

What i'm saying is that the manner in which it went down, with no notice so that people could look for work or start adjusting their finances and make accommodations and such, that's tough as hell regardless of your line of work or the nature of the business youre involved in.

To sit here and crap on them given the way these events played out comes off as incredibly cold and lacking of empathy for people who are now completely out of work through no fault of their own

Jawmuncher

One thing I'll add is that I believe COD games still use that enhanced quake 3 engine. So it's not like a engine can't have huge improvements made to it to the point that people don't even know. When you reveal your game and people still know the engine without you saying anything it's bad.

I'm not arguing that GT shouldn't have shut down. Yeah, the business was going in a different direction, the writing was on the wall.

What i'm saying is that the manner in which it went down, with no notice so that people could look for work or start adjusting their finances and make accommodations and such, that's tough as hell regardless of your line of work or the nature of the business youre involved in.

To sit here and crap on them given the way these events played out comes off as incredibly cold and lacking of empathy for people who are now completely out of work through no fault of their own

I dont really think thats what TheLetdown meant. He just meant that the writing was on the wall for quite some time already (come on. Defy media fired good employees over and over again). Of course how it went, its totally shitty and I will miss them, since I liked to watch their videos.

But sadly the current "gaming entertainment" media caters more to people who like LP or "light" content.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Well if they don't fix the problems I have with the game then I won't pick their games up, new engine or not.
Mediocre performance with less than stellar graphics. Bugs and issues. Infinite fetch quests and uninspiring or downright bad story.
And the gunplay and other gameplay elements are far from the best.

But this won't be fixed, and if you think they should be able to you're labeled as wrong.
Like the reviewers who had nothing but glowing endorsements of the game but forgot to cover most of this because "it's to be expected from a Bethesda game", why do they get a free card?!

Smh, I should calm down.

r3n4ud

I'm not arguing that GT shouldn't have shut down. Yeah, the business was going in a different direction, the writing was on the wall for them for some time now.

As you've said, the writing was on the wall for quite some time. You'd think hey would have adjusted their finances and such long ago. This couldn't have come to a surprise to them.

Show some empathy, man.

I think it came off harsher than I meant it. To be clear, being notified day-of that you're out of a job is really, really shitty. I get that, and I'm sympathetic to that scenario.

But they work in a high-risk, high-reward (intrinsically, since being paid to talk about videogames is straight up incredible) position. To suggest that we view their output through some other lens or handle them with kids gloves because the worst-but-not-unforeseeable case scenario played out for them is ludicrous.

This bolded here was my initial point that I think I should've worded more tactfully. I'll admit there was 0% grace in how it came off, but here's the essence:

The writing was on the wall, but they rode the ship down while the ship-riding was good. Everything is gravy when everything is gravy, and they had it great when they had it great. But this sudden implosion is increasingly normal in the games industry and everyone in the industry either knows this or should.

Everyone wants to be a hedge fund manager until the market fails.

Why is Ubi releasing its two heavy hitters 2 weeks apart? (Primal and the Division) I cant justify buying 2 non-steam games in a month!

i guess i just empathize more with the GT situation because I don't get the sense that someone would be on their honeymoon unless assurances had been made that their jobs weren't in immediate jeopardy. Something like a honeymoon costs a pretty penny and requires planning, things that would imply that no notice was given as to how shaky GT was. As someone who has both been suddenly let go of work with no warning in the past through no fault of my own and currently planning a honeymoon myself, yeah, i feel for these people.

It's easy to now be captain hindsight and say "yeah, of course they suddenly shut down." But when you're getting assurances that everything is okay and to not worry about it from higher management, you end up (perhaps naively) believing in it because you can't possibly think that they would just shut the whole thing down with nothing in the way of warnings.

Now, if they had been told months ago that this house of cards could collapse at any given moment and chose to stick around well then okay, i can see how some folks would just shrug their shoulders and be fine with how it turned out for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom