• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

How is it that each time I run Pillars of Eternity just for a few minutes I end up having a multi-hour session?

I mean, I'm the JRPG guy. I usually hate the player unfriendliness inherent to cRPGs... How is it that PoE doesn't bother me?
I'm generalizing a ton here, but I feel like there are two main components to the inherent player unfriendliness that you speak of:

1. The predecessors of Pillars of Eternity (e.g., Baldur's Gate and the other Infinity Engine games) had really obtuse interfaces and mechanics. It was hard to understand what was going on and sometimes even harder to understand how to improve. This offered no benefit in terms of the experience, while making the games much more inaccessible.
  2. Classic cRPGs don't necessarily make it clear what's "wrong" or "right" in terms of choices. I use those quotes intentionally, as in many cases, there isn't really a wrong or right. This can be in terms of how you build your character, the relationships you build with other characters or the bigger narrative choices you make. While this can make the game more inaccessible, it has an appealing weight to it. It feels more like a challenge to overcome than some bullshit you have to put up with to get to the challenge.
Pillars of Eternity has dramatically things improved on (1), but hasn't changed much with regard to (2). The game certainly still has its flaws, but I think that's what has allowed it to become more accessible while not losing what made the original games appealing and interesting in the first place.

Sch1sm

Eh any time i play the game inlike it all pver again
It was worth the dough for me and i have good connection matches
R u playing wired or wireless?

I like the game, it's worth the money. Hell, I got it for $55CDN actually since I picked it up at 30% off on Amazon. They're still issues I'm not huge on, and I'm no anomaly. Wired on a 10MB down/3MB up.
I'm playing it on PS4 but I don't think that's the issue, really. NAT Type 1 and all.

I didn't mean what I said to Jaw negatively, though, haha. I'm earning my money's worth in time. Cards won't give him $60 bad is what I mean, so no loss in their nonexistence. :p

I've had my eye on this for some time. I'm getting burnt out on fantasy, I might have to bump this one up in the queue.

Too bad they're going with Vikings for the next one. That's more well-tread ground in games.

LogicArtists take a more grounded and historical approach to their games, which is what makes both Conquistador and Vikings so exciting. It's unlike anything else out there.

Expeditions: Vikings is gonna be great!

Anteater

Come breaak me down~

Thirty Seconds to Mars: War Logs?

totally

this is no coincident
jared2vfqw5.jpg

fh3wOIv.jpg

abracadaver

Rambo: The Videogame doesn't work for me

When I try to start it this happens:

rambo4sufq.jpg

There is no setup.exe in the games folder and verifying files doesn't help

How do you start this game?

Tizoc

SFV favors rage quitters so much that it's almost not fun to play anymore.

You'd think after SF4, they'd have the anti rage quitting tactics down :V
Seriously what happened during this game's development?

I like the game, it's worth the money. Hell, I got it for $55CDN actually since I picked it up at 30% off on Amazon. They're still issues I'm not huge on, and I'm no anomaly. Wired on a 10MB down/3MB up.
I'm playing it on PS4 but I don't think that's the issue, really. NAT Type 1 and all.

I didn't mean what I said to Jaw negatively, though, haha. I'm earning my money's worth in time. Cards won't give him $60 bad is what I mean, so no loss in their nonexistence. :p

What's causing NAT 1 for you? Mine is NAT 2 and has been for years now even on PS3 :X

Hektor

Disgaea: Can somebody tell me which button 'Button 7' is supposed to be on the XB1 Pad? (The one for the geotoggle). I've tried all and can't find it. Is it bugged for me, or is Button 7 not available on the XB1 Pad?

Sch1sm

You'd think after SF4, they'd have the anti rage quitting tactics down :V
Seriously what happened during this game's development?

What's causing NAT 1 for you? Mine is NAT 2 and has been for years now even on PS3 :X

You would think, but even now they don't know what to do. They've been telling people to record or use twitch archives and submit them so it's dealt with for now.

No idea, actually. I'm NAT 2 wireless, NAT 1 wired. I'm not sure what makes it so. I've been connecting the same way since the PS3 in '06.

Dr Dogg

Pissing about with Rhaknar earlier in the week, the only way he could connect to Battle Lounges was to enact a Game Mode on his router. I did look through what ports the game was using with him and found the TCP ports and he sent me a message the other day froma Capcom rep that listed those and the UDP ones. So if you've got a dodgy connection and or a bunk router, might be worth setting up some specific rules to make sure you got the right ports open.

Has rage quiting exponentially increased in the last week?

Some of the folks in the OT have been saying the further up the League you get the more of them you find. Makes sense because they never 'lose'.

im playing the final release of The Flame in the Flood and it is really good, people

OST is amazing (chuck ragan)

Chuck Ragan is one of the best musicians. I should get the game but dang it, bought too much recent stuff. Will wait until I see a discount. Maybe I'll get the OST.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider, quite a lot. Already liked the first one tho. My only real complaint, besides the fact that it runs like dogshit on PC, is that like I told Doogie, it feels like a 20 hour game with the mechanics of a 40 hour game. Some of the abilities you barely use, and by the time you have everything, and you think "yeah now the real Tomb Raider begins", the game ends :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom