• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stardew Valley is the most innovative shooter in years. (I am preparing to launch it so I can independantly confirm this.)
It's strange, because I found ME3 to be the most interesting story-wise, at least in a "car crash you can't look away from" way. It's kind of like Alien 3, in that the plot is an absolute clusterfuck, the characters are (mostly) less deep than the previous games and the overarching goal is absolutely dumb, but the moment-to-moment setpieces are great in a "dumb action film" kind of way. And this is coming from someone who actively blasted Bioware on their forums just after the game's release.

I still have half a mind to write up a series of articles on how ME3 didn't work. Despite that, I loved it in a dumb sort of way. I never had as much fun in the series as I did when I was on the Rannoch missions, popping out Tali's Combat Drone to distract enemies while I combat-rolled out of cover and sprinted over to Garrus to revive him. Even the final battle is so stupid, with so much stuff happening on-screen at once, that it becomes amazing in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. It's like all the excesses of late 2000's game development in a nutshell - shaky screen, bullet-sponge enemies, a dark and murky combat environment, no clear understanding of what you're doing or how it works, etc.

I remember virtually nothing from the ME2 base game besides the Suicide Mission, despite having played all of them just two months ago. The levels were painfully linear and unremarkable, and I found myself bored whenever I went to a quest hub for the umpteenth time. It's the prime example of a game designed by committee. The side missions are more memorable than the majority of the game, for God's sake.

Not that you mention it, I don't remember any of the specific missions from any of the MEs. It really is about the moments, as you say, which is why a ME2-styled vignette would work so well for the series.

Mass Effect 1 aimed far too high, is basically the problem. Bioware just can't deliver on a grand, overarching narrative that reacts to Shepard's decisions, so it's better to abandon it entirely (as in ME2) and embrace the craziness they can unleash. At least that way, the rush of excitement can block out my brain's cries that it didn't make sense.

Hektor

A Dark Souls Mobile Game?

donblinkgif.gif

Not that you mention it, I don't remember any of the specific missions from any of the MEs. It really is about the moments, as you say, which is why a ME2-styled vignette would work so well for the series.

Mass Effect 1 aimed far too high, is basically the problem. Bioware just can't deliver on a grand, overarching narrative that reacts to Shepard's decisions, so it's better to abandon it entirely (as in ME2) and embrace the craziness they can unleash. At least that way, the rush of excitement can block out my brain's cries that it didn't make sense.

They all have their low points.

ME1's plot is interesting in a "dumb b-movie" kind of way, and there are some great character moments, but the uncharted planets and Mako gameplay are absolute garbage. Repetitive and monotonous caves and bases (honest to God, they only had two templates for bases), meaningless junk collecting, stupid level geometry and horrible textures (seriously, the textures on the Prothean pyramids look worse than KOTOR!).

ME2 basically streamlines the whole thing and fully embraces the nonsense, like you said. Collectibles and extra loot are so shallow and obviously placed (when the marker says to go right, go left) that it's pathetic, there are so many squadmates that you end up ignoring half of them for most of the game, and with the exception of Tuchanka and Ilium, the quest hubs are yawn-worthy. They pumped all their resources into the framework around the Suicide Mission, and it shows.

And then there's ME3. I'd like to see Andromeda have the open-world feeling of 1 and the setpiece quality/combat of 3, and I'd be happy.

dex3108

Well i must to admit SteamGAF that i am enjoying playing Bloodborne. Game has some things that i don;t like but for some reason i want to play more with every boss i defeat. This is really surprising for me because when i bought BB and started playing it i thought that i will drop this game after first boss and that i wasted 30$ XD

Well i must to admit SteamGAF that i am enjoying playing Bloodborne. Game has some things that i don;t like but for some reason i want to play more with every boss i defeat. This is really surprising for me because when i bought BB and started playing it i thought that i will drop this game after first boss and that i wasted 30$ XD

One could say Bloodborne is... robbing you of your time. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'll be here all week.

They all have their low points.

ME1's plot is interesting in a "dumb b-movie" kind of way, and there are some great character moments, but the uncharted planets and Mako gameplay are absolute garbage. Repetitive and monotonous caves and bases (honest to God, they only had two templates for bases), meaningless junk collecting, stupid level geometry and horrible textures (seriously, the textures on the Prothean pyramids look worse than KOTOR!).

ME2 basically streamlines the whole thing and fully embraces the nonsense, like you said. Collectibles and extra loot are so shallow and obviously placed (when the marker says to go right, go left) that it's pathetic, there are so many squadmates that you end up ignoring half of them for most of the game, and with the exception of Tuchanka and Ilium, the quest hubs are yawn-worthy. They pumped all their resources into the framework around the Suicide Mission, and it shows.

And then there's ME3. I'd like to see Andromeda have the open-world feeling of 1 and the setpiece quality/combat of 3, and I'd be happy.

Playable Krogan is all they need to sell me. Just like Qunari in Dragon Age.

Mass Effect 1 really is the series' gold standard for world building. It always felt lived in and real, rather than a hokey/gamey piece of scenery. It'd be great if they manage to return to it.

I also preferred ME1's take on Paragon and Renegade, not as extremes but as inclinations you unknowingly build up over time. Don't think that's coming back, though.

Dr Dogg

So many people oblivious to VAT in that thread smh

Par for the course really. Then again don't you folks get shafted by 28% VAT on most products?

Call me crazy but I actually think £689 isn't too bad of a deal. In the no subsidised bleed edge of tech that's pretty good for what's being offered. Not for everyone's wallets of course but for the early adopters more over.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Par for the course really. Then again don't you folks get shafted by 28% VAT on most products?

Call me crazy but I actually think £689 isn't too bad of a deal. In the no subsidised bleed edge of tech that's pretty good for what's being offered. Not for everyone's wallets of course but for the early adopters more over.

yeah but you are a rich british aristocrat with a top hat and a monacle. Your vive will probably be made of gold

Anno

Stardew Valley is at 17k concurrent and has 11 negative reviews out of 777. Wow. Guess I'll need to check it out. Indies bringing it hard this month.

Nzyme32

We actually get a better deal than a few weeks ago. Originally we were meant to pay a £16 in excess, while technically we should pay £691 for 0 excess, thanks to Brexit, we save a tiny bit at £689.

Now we wait for the price hike as Brexit gets more likely, the £ crashes, and Farargy-bargy and Boris Johnson somehow magically wins over the population over Sir Pigs-a-lot Cameron

yeah but you are a rich british aristocrat with a top hat and a monacle. Your vive will probably be made of gold

He's also a Doctor. Rich bastard!

dex3108

One could say Bloodborne is... robbing you of your time. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'll be here all week.

Not really i play it hour at most every few days XD I also play Witcher 3, also hour or two every few days. I can't remember when i was playing game for more than two hours at once.

Not really i play it hour at most every few days XD I also play Witcher 3, also hour or two every few days. I can't remember when i was playing game for more than two hours at once.

Yep I'm the same way, can't seem to find a game that holds my interest for more than an hour or so.

Dr Dogg

I think you'll find mine will be made out only the finest bone china and trimmed in gold leaf.

We actually get a better deal than a few weeks ago. Originally we were meant to pay a £16 in excess, while technically we should pay £691 for 0 excess, thanks to Brexit, we save a tiny bit at £689.

Now we wait for the price hike as Brexit gets more likely, the £ crashes, and Farargy-bargy and Boris Johnson somehow magically wins over the population over Sir Pigs-a-lot Cameron

Borris probably has shares in both Microsoft and HTC seeing as he's probably fucked up any senior cabinet position whilst the pig wisperer or Gideon are in Govenment.

Dr Dogg

We have a tax on shadows in Italy, we need also to pay a tax on our house's exit.

At first I was 'that can't be right' but nope seems it is. Translation was a little rough but if you have say an awning or canopy attached to your property and it casts a shadow over public property then you are liable for tax of that section where the shadow is cast. Granted I'm sure there are some even crazier old bylaws out there but that's got to be pretty hard to enforce I'd imagine.

At first I was 'that can't be right' but nope seems it is. Translation was a little rough but if you have say an awning or canopy attached to your property and it casts a shadow over public property then you are liable for tax of that section where the shadow is cast. Granted I'm sure there are some even crazier old bylaws out there but that's got to be pretty hard to enforce I'd imagine.

Sounds like something straight out of discworld.

Ludens

Banned
Yup, that one. I'm on Kindle and writing is awful due to auto-correction so I just post short messages, sorry.

The Final Hours of Portal 2 looks like blocky junk and there are no settings. It looks like all the Web pages it pulls from are down too. Bad first impression.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just want to say, there's a small change coming to Steam really soon which has been something they've needed to do for years, and I'm happy is finally happening. It's probably not that exciting for most, but it's been something that's always bothered me, and happy with the change.

Nillansan

Disgaea PC - Update (Day 3).

Robbie (NISA) said:
Greetings Everyone!

Welcome to another update for Disgaea PC! Again, we want to make sure that the Disgaea PC community is being heard, so we will continue to post announcements regarding updates and concerns that the community has mentioned. We're reading all the threads and appreciate your feedback, but please remember to keep threads on topic and treat others with respect. I will proceed to take action if necessary.

We are planning on releasing an update by March 2nd. The release date for this update is subject to change, but we’ll definitely announce any changes through our announcements.

According to the thread posted by LordCastellian, a good handful of Disgaea PC users were able to fix the FPS drops. While this may be a temporary fix for some, we understand that this may not be the most viable option for everyone as it does not guarantee a better FPS rate. We are still researching this issue and added this to our FAQ thread as a temporary FPS rate fix.

Currently, our development team is looking into these five issues:

1. FPS is low even on high-end PCs
2. Maintaining controllability during slowdowns
3. SSAO issues
4. Performance changes when a controller/gamepad is detected
5. Increasing GPU usage

For the March 2nd update, we are planning on addressing the following:

Maintaining controllability during framerate drops
Adding a warning message when turning SSAO on
Fixing controller issues
Optimizing GPU performance

Things we are currently working on to be addressed in a later update:

Low FPS on high-end PCs
SSAO issues that occur regardless of PC specs

Details on the 5 issues below:

1. FPS is low even on high-end PCs
This is one of our biggest concerns at the moment, as it has become a common topic within the Disgaea PC community. We were not aware of this issue during testing, and were only made aware of it through user feedback. Our devs have noted this issue on their end and are working hard to address this in future updates. Please note that this issue is ongoing and it may take a little more time to address and pinpoint exactly what is causing this issue. We apologize for this unforeseen complication and are doing everything in our power to create a fix.
2. Maintaining controllability during slowdowns
This issue is related to issue 1, and we are looking into minimizing the stress caused by this issue. Our plan for addressing this problem is to allow the game to skip frames when slowdowns occur to maintain controllability of the game.
3. SSAO issues
This is an issue that is happening mostly on PCs with integrated graphics. For the update, we will include a message when a user tries to turn SSAO on with a computer that doesn’t have the required specs to run the game.
4. Performance changes when a controller/gamepad is detected
We plan to improve performance on many PCs that are experiencing framerate drops when a controller is not plugged in.
5. Increasing GPU usage
We are looking into increasing performance on GPUs. We plan to look into this issue extensively and release gradual performance updates.

There have been a lot of changes within the past three days and I’m sure it has been an emotional roller coaster for many people, but again, we want to stress that our community is extremely important to us. Our company strives to continue to bring awesome titles to Steam and we hope for more great titles to come.

Thanks for your time, patience and understanding, dood! Have a great weekend!

Best,
Robbie

Knurek

I just want to say, there's a small change coming to Steam really soon which has been something they've needed to do for years, and I'm happy is finally happening. It's probably not that exciting for most, but it's been something that's always bothered me, and happy with the change.

Bundle discount applied to games you don't own, like GOG does?
Web based key redemption?

Dsyndrome

Is there a way to use the Old Texture Mode for Disgaea and not be locked to 30FPS?

Edit: Looks like it's related to VSYNC; screen tearing's bad without it on, guess I'm using the new textures.

Can you say whether it's more of a boon for people putting games on Steam or the end user?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom