• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

TotalBiscuit makes little sense.

I watch a lot of his WTF is...? videos because he's the only person I know of that makes videos of a large amount of PC games coming out and takes the time to look at option menus etc. I never watch the videos of him just rambling and ranting.

He is extremely annoying though, even in WTF is videos. Are there any good alternatives?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I posted this in the Greenlight thread, but it might get an audience here too. I've voted on every item on Greenlight. It takes a long time and there's a lot of shit. I've said yes to a lot of stuff, around 800 items. But I also created a collection of some of the stuff that impressed me the most. It includes a lot of different genres and target audiences.

You can see the collection here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179798494

I don't really care if you look at it or not, but if you're one of those people who are like "I would like to support some decent looking stuff but it's too much of a pain in the ass to wade through Greenlight", you might find value in it.

Ifrit

I have a 25% off coupon for Volgarr the Viking, which actually looks cool. But I'm not planning to buying it at the moment

I also have some Shadow Warrior and Toki Tori 2+ 10% off coupons if anyone is interested

DocSeuss

I posted this in the Greenlight thread, but it might get an audience here too. I've voted on every item on Greenlight. It takes a long time and there's a lot of shit. I've said yes to a lot of stuff, around 800 items. But I also created a collection of some of the stuff that impressed me the most. It includes a lot of different genres and target audiences.

I don't really care if you look at it or not, but if you're one of those people who are like "I would like to support some decent looking stuff but it's too much of a pain in the ass to wade through Greenlight", you might find value in it.

Great to see Tangiers on there.

Jawmuncher

Just dropping by to say all is well

Also I just realized if Humble Bundle keeps it up and I can keep this ok internet im going to come back home to a ton of games

Baha

Jack Orlando on steam now for you adventure game enthusiasts out there: http://store.steampowered.com/app/253960/

You, my friend, are the main suspect in a murder case! You’ve been given a chance to prove your innocence, so you better get your Sherlock Holmes act together – fast! In the character of JACK ORLANDO - the down-at-heel detective who’s never at a loss for words – you’ll come across cunning characters, garrulous gangsters, endless enigmas and tense situations throughout this fantastic comic-style adventure. There are 4 entire episodes containing over 200 action-packed scenes in dark alleys, fine saloons and seedy brothels – and the actors are a multitude of tough and sly underworld characters. You’ll have to keep your eyes wide open for clues, no matter where you are... only by putting two and two together will you reach your objective.

The Director's Cut Version of the game offers six new scenes, normal and easy game mode as well as a lot of additional puzzles.
FEATURES
Hand-drawn animated 2D graphics adventure
Professionally synchronized voices
Smooth scrolling and light sourcing
Over 200 Scenes in 4 episodes
Nearly 100 characters and thousands of dialog lines
Playable in window and in full screen mode
2 difficulty modes: Easy and Normal
Musical Score in 5.1 composed by Grammy Award Winner Harold Faltermeyer (Soundtrack included as mp3)

I remember seeing this on iOS before but I never tried it.

The_Monk

Will check it out, thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

However, I have one question: did you vote for all the games on Greenlight? I know that some people voted for every possible game in there so they can have a chance and I will do everything I can to support people and their fine work, however, don't you feel you might be voting for a game that in your opinion can be weak/bad or anything similar?

I remember when that game "Towns" got released, not only the price was bad, the game got a lot of negative feedback on the first week and many things were wrong with that game such like having one (bad) music/tune during the game all the time (I believe?) among others. We saw some devs putting their games also on bundles then (kinda) promising for Steam keys once they get greenlit only to see some of them going back with their own words (and then, going back again because of the Community rage).

Those things breaks the confidence I may have with some of them and I feel more tempted to vote for a game that might look good instead of every single one. How many GAFfers bought one game considering it was good and then they only got regret from their own purchase? In my opinion I prefer quality over quantity any time. Shouldn't we all be sure to vote for interesting games instead of everything that is possible to vote on?

I wanted to see some opinions from GAFfers regarding this. I'm very sorry for the lack of proper vocabulary and weak English I tend to have when making longer posts as this is not my native language.

Zeth

Any visual improvements in F1 2013? I know I shouldn't buy it at full price :/

Kind of just want it for the 80s turbos.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Awesome list! I had no idea that the Doctor Who Adventure Games were on Steam Greenlight, especially since it was partially funded by the BBC and features the original voice cast from the show.

I know a lot of people thought they were terribad, but I thought they were pretty awesome.

webrunner

Good to see Yawhg on there. I've been pushing that game to a lot of people.

derExperte

Minerva's Den ist hard, I'm playing on normal and dying all the time. Or I'm playing it wrong. Still awesome to be back in Rapture, while others got sick of that place during B2 I never did.

And I don't know what's going on but fuck TB, the sooner his fans turn on him, the better.

derExperte

Btw the Volgarr and Foul Play vouchers will stack with other discounts and are valid until Nov 16th. So maybe hold off using them until then.

Oh, I have a Divekick 66% one. Any takers?

Acccent

Talking about him, just saw this on his twitter
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rpdn2m

Well... I agree with this too... I don't get why you all think it's such nonsense?

(I should mention that I've watched maybe 4 videos of him in my whole life, including the one we talked about earlier. I'm not a fan and I don't 'follow' him or 'subscribe' to his channel or whatever)

edit: I don't agree with the last paragraph, I'm pretty excited by everything Valve's doing with SteamOS/Steam machines and I think that's more important than whatever new IP they could come up with (although obviously, potentially as tyrannic and in some respect destructive as normal Steam, see previous comments)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I only see one Triple A title on this list and I already backed it.

Stumpy plz. ;_;

Baha said:
@woo and indeed hoo

If you still have your volgarr coupon, I'd be interested in it.

I'll give you mine.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of where the authority comes from, it's usually the leader that gets deposed and not the people.
But then those fools would do it again, because they wouldn't have learned anything.

Getting rid of one loud voice is probably easier than teaching the masses to think for themselves.
Of course. But that only works for the short term; eventually people need to learn or they will keep making the same mistakes over and over.

We're talking about Valve. Valve makes a game = people want to play it. Causality works both ways.

When that happens it's because you have the potential to either make a better game (hard), sell it at a lower price (kinda hard) or invest less while still expecting some copies to sell (easier).

Valve makes games that are almost untoppable and sells them for free, and then constantly adds content that they offer for free as well.

haha! yeah! Everyone will suddenly make perfect games and then they will all sell millions.

here's what I'm saying.

Valve makes the best games.
They have an incredibly loyal fanbase.
Not only do they have the ability to release those games and additional content for free, but doing so is actually arguably more profitable to them.

It's all good for customers who just want Valve games, but for the rest of the industry, Valve is a force that can't be rivalled with and if they decide to release something in the field where you were previously having some 'normal' competition with other publishers, on PC, Valve can simply crush you all into dust. Competition is healthy, but this isn't competition, it's murder.

Now add to this the fact that most of the money they make, they make by taking a precentage off your profit on Steam, which is so ingrained into PC gaming culture that not releasing games on it not only costs you like 98% of the userbase, but will also trigger fanboyish 'pirate boycott' behaviors.

See what I mean?
If you think Valve makes the best games and your team can't make something better, feel free to step out of the games industry and get a different job, because that's definitely not your thing. If you're not going to make a good game (or already know you can't), then I don't care at all if you get crushed by the competition.

At least they are making good games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Totalbiscuit does more good then harm, so I don't see the problem. He's a thundering jackass, but he brings attention to a lot of games that otherwise wouldn't get any.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I'll check this tonight, thanks for making the list.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But then those fools would do it again, because they wouldn't have learned anything.

So throw them in prison? I'm not sure what you can practically do about a large amorphous group of people.

It is really just easier to hold the people who have been given power to a slightly higher standard.

kafiend

That http://notonsteam.com sale has added new games for those interested in picking up future steamkeys from greenlight possibilities.
The games are not marked as new to the sale, but there are certainly some there now that weren't at the beginning.

Acccent

If you think Valve makes the best games and your team can't make something better, feel free to step out of the games industry and get a different job, because that's definitely not your thing. If you're not going to make a good game (or already know you can't), then I don't care at all if you get crushed by the competition.

At least they are making good games.

Oh man. If only it was this easy.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wait, I've only kept the discussion in my periphery, but is the argument basically "The only problem with Valve is that they're almost too good?"

drizzle

Axel Hertz

What should I do on games that look good, but I wouldn't ever play them? For instance, Horror Games. Or polished games that look ok for what they're offering, but I wouldn't ever play them ever?

Valve specifically asks "would you play this game", and, by those standards, I would click no on those games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So throw them in prison? I'm not sure what you can practically do about a large amorphous group of people.

It is really just easier to hold the people who have been given power to a slightly higher standard.
Better education? Teaching people to think for themselves? I don't know either, but that sounds like a good thing to start with.

Oh man. If only it was this easy.
What do you mean with this? Getting out of the games industry and finding a job you're suitable to do is hard? The latter may be true, but I don't see why the former should be.

Acccent

Wait, I've only kept the discussion in my periphery, but is the argument basically "The only problem with Valve is that they're almost too good?"

That, plus they're taking measures to keep as strong a hold on PC gaming as they can, and try to expand their control over to the living room, at the expanse of competition.

Which is, you know, normal for a company - they're not a charity - but it doesn't mean it's healthy in the grand scheme of things. The thing is, for some reason, Valve is often immune to criticism, because they are super good at communication and at showering people with incredible sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom