• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
total buscuit is sort of a moron

kickstart me a new computer so i can replace him in recording random games and putting them on youtube

i will be known as

complete cracker

BruteUA

total buscuit is sort of a moron

kickstart me a new computer so i can replace him in recording random games and putting them on youtube

i will be known as

complete cracker

Sounds great, I'd be happy to support you. However, I will need somebody to fund my funding of you.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Better education? Teaching people to think for themselves? I don't know either, but that sounds like a good thing to start with.

The fact that there is a thing called the Tea Party in America proves this premise invalid. I'm sorry.

I seriously don't understand where the hate comes from. What did the guy ever do to you?

He's an arrogant whiner baby. He only sees his own views as the right ones and doesn't take any opposing arguments. He isn't even capable of participating in a discussion because he is so full of himself. That guy also doesn't give a shit about his viewership and insulted them many times.
That guy is just a giant asshole with mental issues.

gabbo

I seriously don't understand where the hate comes from. What did the guy ever do to you?

He side with DRM at one time. Don't follow him enough to know anymore about the situation. So long as he can shine some light on indies I don't know about now and again, he can jump on whatever hype train he wants.

O Tavares

Neo Member
He's an arrogant whiner baby. He only sees his own views as the right ones and doesn't take any opposing arguments. He isn't even capable of participating in a discussion because he is so full of himself. That guy also doesn't give a shit about his viewership and insulted them many times.

I usually watch his videos because I like listening to him expressing his opinion about a certain game. Having that in mind, it's his opinion, his show and that's fine.

Never heard any insult to his viewership in his WTF videos or content patches, but that's everything I watch from him anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What should I do on games that look good, but I wouldn't ever play them? For instance, Horror Games. Or polished games that look ok for what they're offering, but I wouldn't ever play them ever?

Valve specifically asks "would you play this game", and, by those standards, I would click no on those games.

Saying no is understandable of course, since as you point out if you actually read Valve's question, you should say no. You wouldn't play it, so say you wouldn't play it. I say yes, though. I see my role more as a reviewer-facilitator than as a customer. I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm not saying I'm the smartest guy in the room or I have tons of insight or I have better taste than anyone else. But I know I do more thinking about this stuff than most people who just wander in. And so because of that, I vote yes to anything that seems like a good execution of its concept. For example, there are some children's games in my collection there--stuff made for 5-7 year olds. I said yes because I feel it's a demographic that should be reached on Steam but isn't and because those particular games look visually appealing and well made.

Although no votes don't count against anyone, they sort of do. There's a very finite core of people who actually vote on Greenlight. Unless you're something very popular on the internet at large, you need both people coming from outside Greenlight to check out your game in specific AND people like me who vote on everything. Nothing that's been Greenlit had below a 50/50-ish yes-to-no ratio, and that's not because no votes count against you but rather because to get enough yes votes, some of the sets of eyes on your game need to be those yes votes.

Like, if you need 10,000 yes votes to get on Steam (you need more than this; #40 on the list right now is around 13,500 votes and the number you need today is less than you needed six months ago), and there's 5000 people like me who vote on every game, and then another 10,000 who vote on scattered stuff, and then there's however many people you get to click through from Twitter or RPS or whatever. Assuming you only get 2000 people to click through, then you need 8,000 more from the 15,000 people who semi-regularly or regularly vote. So no votes don't count against you, but you can't get on if most of your votes are no. Get what I'm saying?

However, I have one question: did you vote for all the games on Greenlight? I know that some people voted for every possible game in there so they can have a chance and I will do everything I can to support people and their fine work, however, don't you feel you might be voting for a game that in your opinion can be weak/bad or anything similar?

I said yes to 800 and no to a little more than 900. When I said I voted on everything, I meant that I had voted yes or no on everything. ;)

The games I said no to fit in the following categories generally:
1) They looked absolutely terrible, beyond redemption, absolutely not ready to be sold. "My first game" stuff. I feel bad and I try to leave detailed feedback when I do that. Some people can make a professional game on their first try, but most can't and if your product is not even remotely professional (obvious font errors; terrible, clashing backgrounds; programmer art; RPGMaker default sprites; dialogue that does not look like it was written by someone who speaks the language it is written in) then it's probably better to release as freeware rather than competing for a slot.

2) Games that aren't games yet at all. Great, you have a 3D concept art of a gun. That's not a game. I'm fine with voting for stuff that isn't released or even stuff that looks early, but it has to be a game. It can't just be concept art and renders.

3) F2P MMO games that had absolutely no unique selling point. It's weird that I would consider voting for, say, a loot-based hack-and-slash RPG if it wasn't F2P or MMO, but not if it is. There are so many of these on the internet. They're all made by companies, not independents. But they look very same-y and boring and I just know the business model is going to be gross so I say no.

4) Voxel based exploration sandbox crafting games (IE Minecraft clones). I know Minecraft comes from Infiniminer, but at this point I can't in good conscience vote for something that looks like Minecraft only uglier and with guns. Or Minecraft, only uglier and with vehicles. Or Minecraft, only uglier and with guns and vehicles.

5) Top-down twin-stick dark zombie shooters. There's already like 30 on Steam. They're all the same. They're all basically playable but none of them are really all that enjoyable. I think it's time to do something different or not bother at all.

My sense, based on only impressions I've got from people linking stuff on GAF, is that he's a reasonably bright guy with fairly good taste and some capacity to articulate it... who is also stubborn and a little rude when dealing with people he disagrees with. I don't know him as a person and I can't form any conclusions about him in reality, but that's why I understand of his public persona. I don't think YouTube really incentivizes people to take nuanced, flexible, understanding, polite, and compassionate positions though; there's more hits in having a BIG, strong, loud personality. We're all a product of the system we're in, really.

DocSeuss

I find TB to be generally thoughtful... not necessarily correct, but he's usually thoughtful. Except when it comes to dissenting opinions. The impression I have is that there's no way you can really have a discussion with the guy; he's just like "here's reality and how it is," and if you disagree with him, he can kinda be rude.

Saying no is understandable of course, since as you point out if you actually read Valve's question, you should say no. You wouldn't play it, so say you wouldn't play it. I say yes, though. I see my role more as a reviewer-facilitator than as a customer. I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm not saying I'm the smartest guy in the room or I have tons of insight or I have better taste than anyone else. But I know I do more thinking about this stuff than most people who just wander in. And so because of that, I vote yes to anything that seems like a good execution of its concept. For example, there are some children's games in my collection there--stuff made for 5-7 year olds. I said yes because I feel it's a demographic that should be reached on Steam but isn't and because those particular games look visually appealing and well made.

This is generally the role I attempt to play as well. For my part, if it's an MMO, a 2D platformer (because oh my god, please, seriously, stop with this), a twin-stick shooter, or a Minecraft clone, it gets an almost immediate (there are exceptions), no. Everything else... it's like "could this be good; will it appeal to people, even if those people aren't myself?"

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
However, I have one question: did you vote for all the games on Greenlight? I know that some people voted for every possible game in there so they can have a chance and I will do everything I can to support people and their fine work, however, don't you feel you might be voting for a game that in your opinion can be weak/bad or anything similar?
To help you out, there's a difference between voting on and voting for that I think you missed. Stump voted on all the items on GL—counting games only, that's 1427 items as of this post. He only voted for (a.k.a. a "yes" vote) on 800 of those. And he's a pretty lenient guy.

I doubt he feels bad about saying no; I don't, and you shouldn't either. Better to "support" someone by being truthful so they can actually improve rather than telling a lie to make them feel better.

Edit: ...God damn it. Well, I'll just leave this here. :|

O Tavares

Neo Member
He side with DRM at one time. Don't follow him enough to know anymore about the situation. So long as he can shine some light on indies I don't know about now and again, he can jump on whatever hype train he wants.

What gave him the right to side with DRM based on his personal preference/opinion! Indeed a monster!

derExperte

What gave him the right to side with DRM based on his personal preference/opinion! Indeed a monster!

Well he was mocking everyone that went on the internet and complained about it. Because in his opinion no one listens. Then one guy from afair Sony commented that they are listening and he mocked him not realizing he was from Sony. TB is just a pompous megacunt that thinks he's god's gift to humanity.

Turfster

Who was it that was interested in Jericho on Steam?
GetGamesGo is doing a small Codemasters sale for Jericho, Damnation, Operation Flashpoint, Overlord and Rise of the Argonauts.

They also have a 75% off F.E.A.R. collection. Don't get the Mac CODs that say they're for steam, they're non-steamplay.

gabbo

<Stump spits hot truths>
This is basically how I go about Greenlight as well.
I don't strictly follow the 'Would I play it is/buy it" as my guideline for a yes/no vote, as there are plenty of games I wouldn't play personally, but they look good, and I know there are audiences out there for them/I know people personally that would give their left leg to play a game like it but don't know about/use Steam greenlight.

Generally only top-down shooters/shmups and f2p/mmo's get the thumbs down because I really dislike them in general and they tend to be a dime a dozen. - there are exceptions of course.

The_Monk

I said yes to 800 and no to a little more than 900. When I said I voted on everything, I meant that I had voted yes or no on everything. ;)

(reasons)

To help you out, there's a difference between voting on and voting for that I think you missed. Stump voted on all the items on GL—counting games only, that's 1427 items as of this post. He only voted for (a.k.a. a "yes" vote) on 800 of those. And he's a pretty lenient guy.

Thank you both for explaining, guess I understand it wrong but now I see it better. I believe when you say no and in some cases you send them a post explaining why you voted against can also be used as learning from their side. They just need to be humble/accept criticism and try to understand why people are voting against.

O Tavares

Neo Member
Well he was mocking everyone that went on the internet and complained about it. Because in his opinion no one listens. Then one guy from afair Sony commented that they are listening and he mocked him not realizing he was from Sony. TB is just a pompous megacunt that thinks he's god's gift to humanity.

Well... that changes things. I never really bothered much about following the guy except for listening to his videos on my daily walks between work and home. But I can now see where people are getting the hate, though it's not something I really care about, personally.

MRORANGE

That, plus they're taking measures to keep as strong a hold on PC gaming as they can, and try to expand their control over to the living room, at the expanse of competition.

Which is, you know, normal for a company - they're not a charity - but it doesn't mean it's healthy in the grand scheme of things. The thing is, for some reason, Valve is often immune to criticism, because they are super good at communication and at showering people with incredible sales.

But anyone can expand into the living room, it's like your saying Valve is stopping people from innovating. when in fact there are other clients who could easily do what Steam is doing. Look at Origin, it's working out for EA, sure they took a hit, but they've accumulated 1.3 million peak users this year.

For the first few years of Steam's existence it was universally trashed, goodwill came from a service that actually improved over time, not many services in my time have done the same.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The impression I have is that there's no way you can really have a discussion with the guy; he's just like "here's reality and how it is," and if you disagree with him, he can kinda be rude.

Even that's being generous. Due to his "success" his ego has become dangerously inflated to the point where any dissenting opinion is met with condescension and belittlement. Unless you meet with him on an identical wavelength, all you'll hear is, "Here's why I'm right and why you're wrong". Like I said earlier, his videos are informative, but if you're looking for any deeper discussion beyond "what is this game and how does is operate", then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Sajjaja

Why are you guys even talking about TB? This discussion has been had countless times

Let's talk about games and GabeN and all things good and pure.

So Half Life 3 speculation. WHAT GUYS? WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN? I THINK MORGAN FREEMAN WILL GET ANOTHER 1/2 LIFE AND THEN HE WILL HAVE A WHOLE LIFE.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So Half Life 3 speculation. WHAT GUYS? WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN? I THINK MORGAN FREEMAN WILL GET ANOTHER 1/2 LIFE AND THEN HE WILL HAVE A WHOLE LIFE.

Of course HL3 will happen, the question of how and when is another story entirely. Will it innovate greatly, or just be another FPS game amongst so many others today?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Of course HL3 will happen, the question of how and when is another story entirely. Will it innovate greatly, or just be another FPS game amongst so many others today?

Real question is what will Total Biscuit say about HL3?

Nah, just a quick reminder: Baldur's Gate 1 EE is still on sale for half an hour (i guess), and as far as I've played the EE is way better than it's reputation! If you're on the fence buy it!

I wonder if we get proper body awareness. Usually I'm not one of those bothered by floating cam, but I can see why it's seen as outdated now.

Well... I agree with this too... I don't get why you all think it's such nonsense?

(I should mention that I've watched maybe 4 videos of him in my whole life, including the one we talked about earlier. I'm not a fan and I don't 'follow' him or 'subscribe' to his channel or whatever)

edit: I don't agree with the last paragraph, I'm pretty excited by everything Valve's doing with SteamOS/Steam machines and I think that's more important than whatever new IP they could come up with (although obviously, potentially as tyrannic and in some respect destructive as normal Steam, see previous comments)

It sounds like a bitter rant about a guy who killed his cat, with the guy being both Valve and the fans.

I don't see what's so outlandish about people wanting a sequel to their beloved, unresolved series which shaped the gaming industry in a big way. Oh, so he doesn't remember anything, just "aliens invaded, pick up the can"? That's his problem, but don't lump us together. I still recall a lot of things from this series, including the ending of Episode 2, which btw he didn't even play. Also, HL2 might not have been the seminal game its predecessor was, it was still a risky, ambitious project which set the bar for presentation and immersion (in b4 Derrick :p).

Then there's the part about him not respecting Valve, just because they do whatever they want to do and how they don't take risks anymore. Sure.

Honestly, it has "deal with it" written all over it.

I don't hate him btw, but really disappointed he'd pull out the card usually the uninformed or bitter people do against Valve.

r3n4ud

Real question is what will Total Biscuit say about HL3?

Nah, just a quick reminder: Baldur's Gate 1 EE is still on sale for half an hour (i guess), and as far as I've played the EE is way better than it's reputation! If you're on the fence buy it!
It's on sale until the 7th...

Turfster

Can I pick any 3, or it has to be 3 from the bundle of 5?

I'd check, but their basket is so fucking badly coded that it's locked in for 4 games now.
I do know it basically makes the dungeon siege trilogy 6€ once you're in the basket/checkout process, so even the games with higher prices get discounted correctly.

Derrick01

Banned
My only impression of that TB guy, besides being one of those "youtube personalities" which is an automatic ignore for me, is when he made himself look like an idiot on twitter during that time when we had that No DRM campaign going. Not the best first impression to make.

edit; I'm just now realizing how late I am to that conversation. I need to stop replying to stuff before I finish catching up on a thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't see what's so outlandish about people wanting a sequel to their beloved, unresolved series which shaped the gaming industry in a big way. Oh, so he doesn't remem\I don't hate him btw, but really disappointed he'd pull out the card usually the uninformed or bitter people do against Valve.

There's no denying he pulled out the card uniquely associated with those who are uninformed or bitter about Valve. "Valve curates Steam and has lessened its product output" has no basis in reality. Whatsoever.

Sajjaja

That's not what I asked. I asked what do you guys think will happen in HL3, mannnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom