• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Its up on change.org right next to the stop the PC version of GTA5 petition and other wrong opinions.
To be honest, after GTA IV I'm not hyped at all for GTA 5, so I wouldn't lose my sleep if it never came to PC.

I would have probably killed someone if GTA IV never did back then, though.

I'm as casual as it gets and even I have beaten Dark Souls.
I lack patience and motivation to keep playing it after dying over and over at the hands of the same enemies. I simply don't find it fun.

Grief.exe

Where do I sign that petition?

Sounds exactly like the kind of game I play for 20 minutes and end up hating. Didn't know it was so confusing, thought it was just hard. I'm tempted to pass then.

If it's not an update so I don't die every five feet, I don't care.

I personally think the difficulty of Dark Souls is greatly exaggerated.

The game is entirely about making strategetic movements and progression through understanding your enemy.

If you are in a new area or up against a new for, move slowly and take in your surroundings. Do not rush in until you know all methods of attack and environmental dangers.

Dark Souls is my personal Game of the Generation, but it doesn't appeal to everybody. Keep in mind that there are plenty of RPGs that cater to people who don't enjoy Dark Souls.
Skyrim and Mass Effect 2 would be perfect examples of such a game.

The arguments for not reducing the difficulty in Dark Souls are quite valid.
Making a game easier would destroy the multiplayer ecosystem. I can get into that argent in more detail at another time.

Sarcasm

I'm as casual as it gets and even I have beaten Dark Souls.

The game is entirely about making strategetic movements and progression through understanding your enemy.

If you are in a new area or up against a new for, move slowly and take in your surroundings. Do not rush in until you know all methods of attack and environmental dangers.

Dark Souls is my personal Game of the Generation, but it doesn't appeal to everybody. Keep in mind that there are plenty of RPGs that cater to people who don't enjoy Dark Souls.

This is exactly the case. The game itself isn't very hard. If you take it slow and observe you will do fine.

MRORANGE

Been gone all day but come home to find a nice new thread! You guys rock.

And thanks MRORANGE for putting the Enhanced Steam OT in the first post. :)

No worries, I love your dedication for the extension, really adds a whole new dimension on how to use Steam effectively.

Jawmuncher

This is exactly the case. The game itself isn't very hard. If you take it slow and observe you will do fine.

Completely agree. Still sad that I couldn't get my Dad and brother into playing it though.
They tried at least so there's at least that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Making a game easier would destroy the multiplayer ecosystem. I can get into that argent in more detail at another time.
On my second attempt at the game, I tried moving slowly and carefully, and failed miserably at the same spot as the previous time. So I totally suck at it, and for that reason I can't say I like it.

Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but doesn't hold a candle to the first one. It lacks the atmosphere, exploration and sense of discovery (even if there wasn't much to discover on the different planets), plus any kind of character customization sans a few skills.

Kammie

By the way, have there been any news about what's gonna happen exactly with GFWL? I haven't played or installed GTAIV, Resident Evil 5 or Bulletstorm, and I'm afraid I may not be able to activate them when (or if) I eventually have a chance to play them.

mannerbot

Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but doesn't hold a candle to the first one. It lacks the atmosphere, exploration and sense of discovery (even if there wasn't much to discover on the different planets), plus any kind of character customization sans a few skills.

I agree that Mass Effect > ME2 (haven't played the third and probably never will). And I should really get around to playing Dark Souls. I bought it last winter and played for an hour or so but got sidetracked...

KarmaCow

Dark Souls update on the registry, heart rate quickens.

17 minutes ago Changed homepage – http://www.preparetodie.com/
17 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 282126 › 285235

...god damn it

QSXnOJl.png

The real Dark Souls starts here?

Also, is there a good alternative to imgur?

On my second attempt at the game, I tried moving slowly and carefully, and failed miserably at the same spot as the previous time. So I totally suck at it, and for that reason I can't say I like it.

The game is really, really easy if you focus on upgrading weapons first. There's plenty of materials. Backstabbing makes it even easier. All the fights of attrition turn into fights which end in one or two swipes. Most people who are new to it probably haven't been given this hint. Especially if you go in blind. The game doesn't tell you anything, really.

I got an easy 1000/1000 there. But I guess different games are hard for different people. Now La Mulana there's one I cannot crack at all. Think you would want to avoid that one for sure.

To be honest, after GTA IV I'm not hyped at all for GTA 5, so I wouldn't lose my sleep if it never came to PC.

I would have probably killed someone if GTA IV never did back then, though.

I lack patience and motivation to keep playing it after dying over and over at the hands of the same enemies. I simply don't find it fun.

I'd hope after the good port of max Payne that gta5 would hold up. Crossing fingers.

Momentary

Banned
Since I'm deploying next week and won't be able to see my lovely Steam Gaf for a bit thought i'd do a decent giveaway. Might do some more during the week. All I ask is whoever wins plays it relatively soon (I know how those Steam Backlogs can be).
EDIT: I'll add Mafia 2 whenever I get it.

Stay safe during your deployment. Did 10 months myself last time and it was an experience. Don't be complacent just because things aren't crazy anymore. You get caught off guard and your dead.

Deadbeat

Banned
Go watch Indie Game the Movie, Phil Fish is just as bad as he was on twitter/interviews/just talking to people in general.
I think he played the whole "giant asshole" schtick a little to hard and it kind of backfired. He should have toned it down after the japanese developer thing because that got just enough publicity. He just didnt stop after that. He kept going and going and going and its like "where are you going with this?" and I guess he didnt know either.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Since I'm deploying next week and won't be able to see my lovely Steam Gaf for a bit thought i'd do a decent giveaway. Might do some more during the week. All I ask is whoever wins plays it relatively soon (I know how those Steam Backlogs can be).
EDIT: I'll add Mafia 2 whenever I get it.

Good luck! Maybe Salsa will be unbanned when you get back.

Grief.exe

I agree.

I don't like how Bioware just completely removed everything interesting from ME1 when it just needed some tweaking.

They essentially turned the game into a very clunky Gears of War clone.

The ending also struck me as an uninteresting direction for the series.
Taking bodies to form a human reaper? How uncreative can you get?
So many interesting directions they could have taken the story after ME1 and they went with that? Not to mention the completely circular narrative.

But gotta go fast.

Taking bodies to form a human reaper? How uncreative can you get?

I disagree. It was all about execution.

And while that was touched upon in ME3, it was a case of too little, too late.

The very harsh left turn in creative control really hurt that franchise.

Jawmuncher

Stay safe during your deployment. Did 10 months myself last time and it was an experience. Don't be complacent just because things aren't crazy anymore. You get caught off guard and your dead.

Thanks. Don't worry I won't get complacent. Have to keep tabs on the Steam Gaf after all lol.

Good luck! Maybe Salsa will be unbanned when you get back.

Thanks. Also i sure hope so.

Acccent

I actually moved to imgur from min.us after they decided to focus on mobile sharing. Thanks for the other links though, they already look better than imgur.

Ah, but at least minus doesn't compress images. Also picpar is made by a gaffer I think, so if you don't need a lot of features you should consider using it!

Sentenza

Dark Souls update on the registry, heart rate quickens.

17 minutes ago Changed homepage – http://www.preparetodie.com/
17 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 282126 › 285235

...god damn it

Not that I'm not happy with things moving on that front, but just out of curiosity what makes you think it's time to get excited about this, instead of another case of "We are going to see more and more minor updates for months before anything actually happens"?

Because it is.

oipic

Since I'm deploying next week <snip>

Safe travels, muncher - hope you can keep in touch while you're abroad.

It's always nice to wake up to a new thread. Nice work once again, Monsieur d'Orange, and thanks also to Kifimbo as well - may your lists forever fill posts #2-4 in threads to come, they're much appreciated.

Addendum:

(1) anyone vaguely on the fence regarding Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - get it! It's a jolly good time. Even better, find three mates and share a pack.

(2) only 65 hours until the X weekly sale hits

denx

While I agree with this to a certain extent (especially the part about atmosphere), the Mako exploration in the first game was total ass imo, as was the customization UI. God that was an ungodly mess, so I didn't miss them in the slightest when they were gone in ME2. Add to that the focus on the characters (which I think is the strongest part of the ME games) and improved combat and ME2 becomes my favorite game in the trilogy. I still like ME1 a lot though, a close second in the trilogy imo.

Talking about ME, I finished my first ever ME3 Insanity playthrough with all the story DLC installed. The DLC definitely makes the game feel more complete, which is both a good and a bad thing. Good because I found the DLC actually pretty good (especially Citadel, that DLC is definitely worth the asking price), but also bad because it highlights how incomplete and rushed the base game felt to me, which is not something I can say of the other two games, which felt like complete, well rounded experiences even without the DLC. Anyway, playing ME3 on Insanity with an Infiltrator actually turned the whole thing into easy mode, so I'´ll have to try it some time with my Engineer and Vanguard.

Btw, I went back to the ME3 multiplayer and I'm hooked again. I just unlocked the Awakened Collector char, and he did what I thought was impossible: it actually made playing an Adept fun. Just when I think I'm done with the multiplayer it pulls me back in. -_-

Or, you could just say, ME2 is a good game, but a bad RPG.

XShagrath

Thanks for the La Mulana giveaways, guys! A friend of mine has been hyping this pretty hard since the Summer Sale.

If I don't win (and it doesn't show up in the HIB this week), I'll go ahead and plop down my three bucks for it.

Jawmuncher

What is going on with Dark Souls?

People talking about it when they should be playing it

Safe travels, muncher - hope you can keep in touch while you're abroad.

It's always nice to wake up to a new thread. Nice work once again, Monsieur d'Orange, and thanks also to Kifimbo as well - may your lists forever fill posts #2-4 in threads to come, they're much appreciated.

Addendum:

(1) anyone vaguely on the fence regarding Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - get it! It's a jolly good time. Even better, find three mates and share a pack.

(2) only 65 hours until the X weekly sale hits

Thanks for the kind words. Don't worry i'll try to pop up as much as I can.

Remember to Hogtie people so they cant be revived. I was playing AA 4 last night so Im up to date on military tactics.

Hope your tour is incredibly boring and nothing happens.

Definitely have to keep that tactic in mind.
Thanks. You and me both

koolaroo

So is dark souls going to be unplayable soon or somthing? I have it in my backlog but if it is going away I will actually (attempt) to play and beat it.

I couldn't weapon mod a sniper rifle into a hitscan rocket launcher in ME2, so that game is kind of terrible by default. The Mako is way better than planet scanning too.

So is dark souls going to be unplayable soon or somthing? I have it in my backlog but if it is going away I will actually (attempt) to play and beat it.
At worst come July 2014 you just won't be able to do any of the online aspects, and while that really sucks the game would still be mostly present.

Freezard

Come on! I'm trying to log into Steam on another PC but the e-mail for Steam Guard just isn't arriving... and when it finally does it's the wrong code cause it's taken too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom