• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to convince me to play La Mulana more? I played for about an hour. Once I got into the first dungeon or whatever it's called though, I started not liking it much at all. It was way too "WE AIN'T HOLDIN YOUR HAND, FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN SON" for my liking. I was just going around some ancient ruins confused out of my mind, not getting anything accomplished. So yeah, tips? Encouragement? Agreement?

It's got a huge learning curve, but once you can manage to solve a few puzzles, it gets pretty addictive. Just explore, save any hints that look useful once you get the option to do so, and push on. You can solve at least on puzzle on nearly every screen, but it's not often apparent. If you get too frustrated, use a faq for a couple of puzzles, as you will still have plenty left. Always keep at least 10 or 20 weights on you.

It's the metroidvania I always dreamed of and it's genuinely one of the best games I've ever played, but it is so frustrating at times that I still have yet to finish it. Every puzzle I solve and every boss I fight are, however, incredibly rewarding.

frogg609

Well, even though I own C & C 3, Kane's Wrath, and Red Alert 3 on disc, I bought them for 13 bucks on Steam tonight. I don't do this often, but not having to use discs or no-cd cracks is too nice not to have.

How many others have rebought games just out of the convenience of not swapping a disc?

Jawmuncher

Well, even though I own C & C 3, Kane's Wrath, and Red Alert 3 on disc, I bought them for 13 bucks on Steam tonight. I don't do this often, but not having to use discs or no-cd cracks is too nice not to have.

How many others have rebought games just out of the convenience of not swapping a disc?

I recently bought the Collection on Amazon for 9.99 for basically that reason.
Sure it requires origin but I figured it was a small price to pay for the classics.
Will probably play CC3 and KW again on PC though. Actually beat them on 360 (Controls weren't that bad). They aren't that bad but still don't live up to the westwood games. Still haven't played RA3 though. Not even sure what im waiting for.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Dark Souls too, but I feel like I understand what it's trying to achieve.
Oh, I understand it too and appreciate it. I just don't enjoy it, nor like the game.

The game is really, really easy if you focus on upgrading weapons first. There's plenty of materials. Backstabbing makes it even easier. All the fights of attrition turn into fights which end in one or two swipes. Most people who are new to it probably haven't been given this hint. Especially if you go in blind. The game doesn't tell you anything, really.

I got an easy 1000/1000 there. But I guess different games are hard for different people. Now La Mulana there's one I cannot crack at all. Think you would want to avoid that one for sure.
I've been told that backstabbing was useful, but I could never pull it off. Still, I didn't find the game any fun to play, which for me totally defeats the purpose of dedicating it my time.

Jawmuncher

Wow, are you serious? When did you start playing PC games, just out of curiosity?

I'd assume everyone owns at least one. I had the original C&Cs and the original Half Life collection. Not a lot I know but PC gaming was never a big thing since as a kid it was always a family computer I had to deal with.

Damn bundle sites.

So many games

I have a bunch as well. Some I know I won't even play.
But the allure of paying a dollar (More if I find the bundle worth it) and seeing the Steam Game Library go up in number is just so alluring.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
While I agree with this to a certain extent (especially the part about atmosphere), the Mako exploration in the first game was total ass imo, as was the customization UI. God that was an ungodly mess, so I didn't miss them in the slightest when they were gone in ME2. Add to that the focus on the characters (which I think is the strongest part of the ME games) and improved combat and ME2 becomes my favorite game in the trilogy. I still like ME1 a lot though, a close second in the trilogy imo.

Talking about ME, I finished my first ever ME3 Insanity playthrough with all the story DLC installed. The DLC definitely makes the game feel more complete, which is both a good and a bad thing. Good because I found the DLC actually pretty good (especially Citadel, that DLC is definitely worth the asking price), but also bad because it highlights how incomplete and rushed the base game felt to me, which is not something I can say of the other two games, which felt like complete, well rounded experiences even without the DLC. Anyway, playing ME3 on Insanity with an Infiltrator actually turned the whole thing into easy mode, so I'´ll have to try it some time with my Engineer and Vanguard.

Btw, I went back to the ME3 multiplayer and I'm hooked again. I just unlocked the Awakened Collector char, and he did what I thought was impossible: it actually made playing an Adept fun. Just when I think I'm done with the multiplayer it pulls me back in. -_-
I loved traveling with the Mako, and didn't find the UI annoying on the PC version. Yeah, it should have featured more sorting options, and explain a little better what the different weapon upgrades did, but I still liked it. And to me the best part of the first game was the lore, as I didn't care much for most of the crew (save for Liara and Wrex -and Kaidan in a lesser way-, I truly liked them).

ME2 expanded on the characters' backstories, and that was a good thing. But in doing that, it made sacrifices in plot advancement, since you spent most of the game
improving the Normandy and making your crew trust you
, and basically nothing happens during that time. It's kinda like a prequel set in the present, something strange.

I never played any ME3 DLC except for From Ashes and the Extended Cut, but heard they were really good. Would you recommend playing them? I would need to start the game again, since I've forgotten many things.

Oh, and if you thought the game was easy with an Infiltrator, wait till you are spamming the Charge + Nova combo with the Vanguard. Pretty much only the enemies that have 1-hit KO attacks can stop you then.

Tellaerin

Well, they could be a young person.

Yeah, this is true. I'm just kind of surprised by the idea of someone never having bought a physical release for PC ever. I mean, I know it's possible, but I figured everyone would own at least one physical release, even if it was just a game that caught their eye in a supermarket clearance bin or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Reposting

1. If you post the same raffle multiple times before the timer is up, it will edit the version closest to the top of the most recent page (when looking for raffles it looks backwards page-by-page but through the page sequentially)

2. If you post a single game giveaway that is not taken, and then you repost it, see above rule.

3. If you post a multi-game giveaway and at least one game is taken, and then you repost the rest, it will edit them out from the first post.

Basically, it doesn't try to find your post until it is time to edit for the first time. Once it has edited the first time, it saves the post ID and edits all subsequent games attached to the giveaway out of that post.

This is not likely to change. GAF search results cache unacceptably slowly to find the post through search results, and obviously ModBot has no direct database access.

Derrick01

Banned
just wanted to pop on over and let all of you know that I'll be scrubbing it with gta 5 gaf for the next little bit.

just know though that steamgaf was my first neogaf love.

and hey pac man in a couple of weeks. that's exciting!

Yeah me too.

I really wish state of decay came out last week though. I dunno when I'll be able to pull myself away from GTA but I do really want to play that too.

Grief.exe

Damn

5CqDHPo.png

patochaos

Neo Member
Questions

I bought Super Street Fighter 4 AE from Amazon a month ago for cheap.

Game was non steam, I didnt realize it.
Now, GFWL marketplace is dead, and GFWL will die next year. My questions are

1. How can I buy costume DLC right now?
2. What will happen after GFWL dies?
3. Since next year ULTRA SSF4 will be released, will I be able to update? Will it update and work with steamworks?

Thanks

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Feh, young people!
*shakes Zimmerframe*
I still have games on floppy disks! 5 inchers!
(and if I look really hard, I probably have a few on cassette still)

I still have Alien Syndrome, the original Batman game, and Dan Dare III The Escape for cassette. Now if I could only find a ZX cassette deck that worked. So much more before lost them from travel and moving. Got rid of all but DOOM for floppy discs though. iddqd

God I miss physical copies of home computer video games.

Grief.exe

Mine still didn't update (unless it did and I didn't notice). It's totally still using Games for Windows live.

Restart Steam and see if it pushed an update.

I highly doubt it will remove GFWL right now, probably just a tertiary update to get the ball rolling.

Turfster

God I miss physical copies of home computer video games.

You and me both. Remember when we got actual manuals that were worth a damn?
I still have a drawer full of copy protection manuals and thingamabobs like the dial-a-pirate wheel, and I'm pretty sure my Falcon 4 manual is still somewhere in my dad's study.
Think it's time to go to bed, I'm starting to yearn for the good old days ;)

Grief.exe

Don't want to get your hopes up guys, this isn't anything exciting. Just noticed the update and curious what changes were made, size of the update, etc.

Want to make clear that this is in now way a GFWL removal. Nothing has been removed from the registry app that would necessitate this change. Still downloads and installs GFWL, still shows key on start up, still has a key in the registry.

Hakkuei

"All of the above"

-any person with a pulse

Paging Durante.

Alright it was just missing.. 159 files! The update is in fact ~166 mb

edit: or maybe not and it was just me that was missing some stuff? Weird since I was playing the game earlier today.

jediyoshi

Questions

I bought Super Street Fighter 4 AE from Amazon a month ago for cheap.

Game was non steam, I didnt realize it.
Now, GFWL marketplace is dead, and GFWL will die next year. My questions are

1. How can I buy costume DLC right now?
2. What will happen after GFWL dies?
3. Since next year ULTRA SSF4 will be released, will I be able to update? Will it update and work with steamworks?

Thanks

Unfortunately you're SOL on purchasing any new items.
Outside of running the game, authenticating content, and redownloading it, I believe any GFWL functionality will just die.
Seeing as not even 4 got an update to further versions, definitely not.

Grief.exe

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
WHO ELSE IS HYPED FOR OUR THE XCOM ENEMY WITHIN, WASTELAND 2 AND DAY Z STANDALONE?

Wasteland 2 I've been waiting for since 1990 when I played the first game. Oh sure Fallout 1 and 2 were wonderful, but the more tabletop RPG like manner of Wasteland always appealed to me more.

You and me both. Remember when we got actual manuals that were worth a damn?
I still have a drawer full of copy protection manuals and thingamabobs like the dial-a-pirate wheel, and I'm pretty sure my Falcon 4 manual is still somewhere in my dad's study.
Think it's time to go to bed, I'm starting to yearn for the good old days ;)

Oh aye. Especially with games like Wasteland where it would tell you so much, have clues, oh and have fun things like random unrelated sentences not in the game that would be a clue or protection gimmick. I loved it.

What I really miss most though are maps. Paper, poster style, or cloth maps I just loved. Something I could hang up on the wall as I'm fully absorbed and immersed into a title and can just glance up at. Just beautiful stuff.

I miss the past sure, but important to remember just how much more we have now.

I'm actually making and printing my own for fun.

I feel like there is a huge gap in my shelf where PC games should go. A great deal of my favourite games of all time are on PC, and they are completely missing.

Well damn, now that you say that I just realise I have a whole empty shelf near me that I never filled and I just figured out why.

Vecks

Just played some Dungeon Hearts to get the cards. Figured I might as well give it a try instead of just idling because I've always been curious about it. I think they made it too complex for a tile-matching puzzle game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom