• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I couldn't weapon mod a sniper rifle into a hitscan rocket launcher in ME2, so that game is kind of terrible by default. The Mako is way better than planet scanning too.

At worst come July 2014 you just won't be able to do any of the online aspects, and while that really sucks the game would still be mostly present.

While I don't care for planet scanning I will never ever enjoy that damn Mako.
I will say that it could have been cool for me if the worlds were more interesting to explore though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A friend of mine gifted me Volgarr the Viking after I added it to my wishlist after watching a few videos online and what put it over the edge for me was that it was an Adult Swim game.

However, after playing it for about 30 minutes I can't say I'm impressed. It's hard as balls which, admittedly, is part of the game's "appeal". Maybe I'm just getting too old for games like this - but if I can sit down at the end of a long day and devote 30 minutes to a video game, I expect to progress at least somewhat. After 30 minutes in Volgarr, I'm still on the first level / first save crystal (after the tutorial). There are no "extra lives", no "continues" and (as far as I can tell) no save spots besides at the beginning of the level.

They are not lying when they say "simple controls, high challenge". It's not for me, but if you ever thought to yourself "I wish there was a game like Ghosts and Goblins - but harder!!!" this game is for you.

for some reason I had these already

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Musaic Box- -- MB-F564B12BA4F82549 - Taken by chiym1992
Saira- -- MB-7437E3938D3621F6 - Taken by LiquidSolid
Yumsters- -- MB-770E107D45BCF89E - Taken by jakershaker

While I don't care for planet scanning I will never ever enjoy that damn Mako.
I will say that it could have been cool for me if the worlds were more interesting to explore though.
Haha, it's another case of enjoying the leisurely breaks in games where you're mostly strolling through something desolate. The weird handling of it, hopping around with its boosters, blasting away what opposition you did find with rockets, really fun. I couldn't stand the scanning though, tedium distilled; my soul was being drained, I could feel myself aging.

KarmaCow

A friend of mine gifted me Volgarr the Viking after I added it to my wishlist after watching a few videos online and what put it over the edge for me was that it was an Adult Swim game.

However, after playing it for about 30 minutes I can't say I'm impressed. It's hard as balls which, admittedly, is part of the game's "appeal". Maybe I'm just getting too old for games like this - but if I can sit down at the end of a long day and devote 30 minutes to a video game, I expect to progress at least somewhat. After 30 minutes in Volgarr, I'm still on the first level / first save crystal (after the tutorial). There are no "extra lives", no "continues" and (as far as I can tell) no save spots besides at the beginning of the level.

They are not lying when they say "simple controls, high challenge". It's not for me, but if you ever thought to yourself "I wish there was a game like Ghosts and Goblins - but harder!!!" this game is for you.

Each world has two levels with their own checkpoint and the levels are actually pretty short. It is still part memorization and part execution but once you get use to using the javelin (I recommend mapping it to a button) the game becomes way more manageable.

I wouldn't call it harder than G&G either, the game is actually quite forgiving in that it gives a lot of time to survey your surroundings (left trigger on the 360 pad will make the view zoom out too).

Cheddahz

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Eets Munchies -- MB-E56952CA31CC7932 - Taken by Spawn. 1 entrants total.
La-Mulana -- MB-1B51F2E2FBD23DD4 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 50 entrants total.

t1379383410z1.png
Reposting this (again) for anyone who didn't see it!

Jawmuncher

Haha, it's another case of enjoying the leisurely breaks in games. The weird handling of it, hopping around with its boosters, blasting away what opposition you did find with rockets, really fun. I couldn't stand the scanning though, tedium distilled; my soul was being drained, I could feel myself aging.

I can definitely see the appeal with the rockets. It was pretty fun shooting small enemies to dust.

And make the Mako easier to maneuver.

I remember being stuck in a damn ditch for five minutes and the boosters being of no hope.

Tellaerin

Haha, it's another case of enjoying the leisurely breaks in games. The weird handling of it, hopping around with its boosters, blasting away what opposition you did find with rockets, really fun. I couldn't stand the scanning though, tedium distilled; my soul was being drained, I could feel myself aging.

I enjoyed roaming around in the Mako myself. Liked it more than platforming with the Hammerhead, and definitely more than the snooze-inducing scanning. Never really did understand all the Mako hate. It would've been nice if they had carried through on the idea of letting players mod and upgrade it.

I enjoyed roaming around in the Mako myself. Liked it more than platforming with the Hammerhead, and definitely more than the snooze-inducing scanning. Never really did understand all the Mako hate. It would've been nice if they had carried through on the idea of letting players mod and upgrade it.
The only thing wrong with the Hammerhead is its tissue paper armor, other than that, it's much better than the Mako.

FloatOn

just wanted to pop on over and let all of you know that I'll be scrubbing it with gta 5 gaf for the next little bit.

just know though that steamgaf was my first neogaf love.

and hey pac man in a couple of weeks. that's exciting!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
just wanted to pop on over and let all of you know that I'll be scrubbing it with gta 5 gaf for the next little bit.

This is the kind of thing that makes me regret selling my PS3.
and the last of us

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Each world has two levels with their own checkpoint and the levels are actually pretty short. It is still part memorization and part execution but once you get use to using the javelin (I recommend mapping it to a button) the game becomes way more manageable.

I wouldn't call it harder than G&G either, the game is actually quite forgiving in that it gives a lot of time to survey your surroundings (left trigger on the 360 pad will make the view zoom out too).

Thanks for the tips. I might jump back in and try to improve. Seems pretty damn challenging!

While I agree with this to a certain extent (especially the part about atmosphere), the Mako exploration in the first game was total ass imo....,

I've never understood why so many people hate the Mako sections. Steer gently with the left stick, ease on the acceleration with the right, remember how to target the cannon properly and everything works beautifully (well, maybe apart from the thresher maws, which really can be a pain in the arse).

MRORANGE

and the last of us

Well gta v will eventually come to pc at least.

I really should get the TLOU but I was really let down by uncharted 3 (was my first naughty dog game).

FloatOn

and the last of us

this will be my first time owning a ps3. I missed everything with them so it will be good to catch up. (read: play demon's souls, last of us and red dead redemption)

I had a 360 for a couple years. but I choose not to think of those dark days.

I have every confidence that gta 5 will come to pc much sooner than what it took for part 4 to come out. rockstar would be complete fools to ignore the momentum pc gaming has picked up these past few years.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I really should get the TLOU but I was really let down by uncharted 3 (was my first naughty diog game).

Most were let down by Uncharted 3, but Jak and Daxter, Uncharted 1 and 2, Crash Bandicoot 1-3, and Last of Us all made people fans for the right reasons.

Jawmuncher

I really should get the TLOU but I was really let down by uncharted 3 (was my first naughty diog game).

I don't blame you UC3 is by far Naughty's Dog worst effort. But that's mainly due to it being handled by the "new team" Regardless I was in the same boat but LoU especially the ending definitely was well worth it. Though you waited this long just grab it on a sale.

You'll come crawling back
I hope

BruteUA

Stay safe, and make sure you use protection.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Ever break a baseball mitt in before?

What's a baseball mitt?
not really a question
Sorry I'm not from the US. I had to google that.

Yeah, I love GTA but this Rockstar delay bs is getting old.

this will be my first time owning a ps3. I missed everything with them so it will be good to catch up. (read: play demon's souls, last of us and red dead redemption)

I had a 360 for a couple years. but I choose not to think of those dark days.

I have every confidence that gta 5 will come to pc much sooner than what it took for part 4 to come out. rockstar would be complete fools to ignore the momentum pc gaming has picked up these past few years.

I'm playing Dark Souls right now so you have to know I deeply regret not playing Demon's Soul when I had the chance :/

In 3D.

Jawmuncher

X:Rebirth in november will be the game that does it for sure.

What else is coming out between now and then?

South Park better!

X:Rebirth is definitely a game worth coming back for.
Seriously though we've waited long enough for South Park. At the least it should be the most polished Obsidian game ever released since they've had plenty of time. Who am I kidding bugginess is an odd charm to Obsidian fare.

FloatOn

I'm playing Dark Souls right now so you have to know I deeply regret not playing Demon's Soul when I had the chance :/

Oh man I always get excited when I hear about people playing Dark Souls for the first time. Godspeed my friend, you are probably playing the best video game to ever grace video games.

You can rectify your Demon's Souls omission when ps3's get to ps2 level of cheap one day.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Anyone want to convince me to play La Mulana more? I played for about an hour. Once I got into the first dungeon or whatever it's called though, I started not liking it much at all. It was way too "WE AIN'T HOLDIN YOUR HAND, FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN SON" for my liking. I was just going around some ancient ruins confused out of my mind, not getting anything accomplished. So yeah, tips? Encouragement? Agreement?

Jawmuncher

Huh...Agarest: Generations of War is coming to steam??

Yeah it was greenlighted months ago.
Actually bought it even though I won't be able to play it. I'm doing my part in supporting more of this. Once Japan jumps on the PC wagon my need for a console will be next to nothing. Only thing absolutely keeping me there is MGS.

I'm looking forward to the brutal preload here in a few hours.

cantwait.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom