• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't say that. It's probably just Marvelous promoting one of their published games to more of their audience.

Well, that's possible, but they explicitly say "keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow" so it's obviously going to be some game that isn't Skullgirls. Marvelous has exactly 2 games on Steam--Skullgirls and Half-Minute Hero. So what do you think the game tomorrow is? :p

Caerith

Well, that's possible, but they explicitly say "keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow" so it's obviously going to be some game that isn't Skullgirls. Marvelous has exactly 2 games on Steam--Skullgirls and Half-Minute Hero. So what do you think the game tomorrow is? :p
Euro Truck Simulator 2. They're probably big fans and want everyone to play it.

So Mysterious Cities of Gold... the steam page lists it as "casual" and they are not mucking around.

Short version of it is:

You move through a level by switching between the three main characters and opening gates. There is some light collecting to do for no real reason and you can also unlock artwork by finding chests.

Pros
+ Includes direct clips from the show to help tell the story
+ The animation and artwork of the main characters are really good
+ Sound and music are appropriately catchy
+ Ideal for young gamers or kids just getting into the series.
+ Levels are large but have forgiving checkpoints.
+ The stealth sections are basic, but could serve as a nice introduction to the style.

Cons
- Really basic puzzles, not really anything here for a seasoned gamer
- Odd performance problems in menus, occasional lock ups
- Backgrounds and environments are uninspired.
- Seems to be a title designed for ios touch controls. You can use a controller, but it is a bit fiddly.
- The overall design is frustrating as you can only move one character at a time and otherwise everybody stands still. So if you are controlling the wrong person (they all have different abilities) you need to walk all the way back.
- The story cutscenes are heavily edited, so there is no chance you will be able to follow what is going on beyond a very superficial idea (for what isn't the deepest cartoon in the first place).
- When you press a switch or trigger another action your control is taken away until it completes but enemies are still free to move around.

running6yo8g.gif

To give you a quick idea a puzzle in the game might play out like this:
* There are five pressure switches marked I, II, III, IIII and IIIII
* There are two plaques nearby marked || and |||
* You stand on pressure switches || and |||, gate opens.

Basically if you have a kid you want to get into the series? It'll be a good pickup. If you are looking for a puzzle game yourself, you should pass in favour of something more complex. If you are just after some nostalgia? Wait for a price drop.

That all seems quite negative, but it isn't without its charm and I did find it growing on me over the couple of hours I played. Would be interested to know if anybody else feels differently if they ever pick it up.

Vindicis

Banned
I know this is silly, but the Razor Hydra sitting in the specials section drives me nuts!
CqcQ18o.png

It's been there for AGES too. Please, Gaben, make it go away!

So I'm trying to do a hell run in Spelunky, having a great run and reach the Black Market. I have over 75k gold, climbing gloves, spike boots, spring boots, and bomb paste. I'm in great shape to make a full run.

Until a red frog shows up and takes a hop right next to a tiki torch near one of the shops, gets hit and blows up triggering the shopkeepers.

I love Spelunky, but cheap crap like that happening that you have no control over is BS. I have no issues dying from cheap deaths if it's my dumbass making mistakes.

edit: You know what, I'd say the only problem I have with this game is the shopkeeper triggering over shit you don't do.
Two changes between the classic version that I don't like are related to this. In classic, things outside of your viewable area would be stationary, while in the new version the entire floor is in motion at all times. Meaning the rolling boulder idol trap ends up being the riskiest thing to do in the entire game, and it's at the starting floors and the payoff is not worth it -- you just risk setting off shopkeeps and crushing damsels, treasure, and items.

The other change I don't like is just how erratic angered shopkeeps are. Killing them is the most optimal means of playing for score, but their frantic pinball movement and aggression sometimes means just lucking into surviving an encounter. In the classic version they're sedate by comparison.

Chronoja

I know this is silly, but the Razor Hydra sitting in the specials section drives me nuts!

It's been there for AGES too. Please, Gaben, make it go away!

Oh boy, I was about to make a(nother) remark about how the specials list was containing nearly everything that wasn't on sale but by the looks of it either the folks behind enhanced steam or valve themselves has corrected the situation. Huzzah it's back to being only discounted stuff. Whoever fixed it, good work.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You already got Young Justice, Jase?

Oh, nah, I need to add that to the list. The games that are crossed out are ones I've since bought; I didn't want to remove them entirely as I thought the list could be somewhat helpful to others since licensed titles eventually disappear.

I... am not sure what you even mean. I wasn't looking for the same tweet that the article used, maybe that's where this confusion comes from.

I was only talking about how Steamworks is now confirmed in that twitter conversation, whereas the earlier "this is what we know so far" quote says that there's no confirmation about Steamworks. That's all.

Ah, I see. I thought I'd edited that in a while back, haha.

The atmosphere in Havana is great though. It looks fucking gorgeous at night. I just spent 2 hours running around collecting shit and soaking it in.

I remember the game's director saying the team looked to AC2's Florence for inspiration and the influence is obvious (not to mention appreciated, since AC3's cities were architecturally and aesthetically dull).

hey JaseC buy that Young Justice game and tell me if it's good

you want it because, uh...

think Htown think

it's a licensed game based on a cancelled TV show, so it won't be there long?

I want it, sure, but I don't want to play it. :p

Edit: It's not available in Russia. :( At $40 I'll be waiting for half off.

How do you like me now drizzle?
In reference to post #633.
'

My old ava:
befunky_urlight0iu2g.jpg

The moustache is a nice touch.

Oh boy, I was about to make a(nother) remark about how the specials list was containing nearly everything that wasn't on sale but by the looks of it either the folks behind enhanced steam or valve themselves has corrected the situation. Huzzah it's back to being only discounted stuff. Whoever fixed it, good work.

I still can see games without discount in the special section, through Steam Client!

M*A*S*H

Just got Civ V Gods & Kings from GMG with their 20% off promo code. Going to play a session tonight with my friend.

Anyone know some tips on how to keep your economy in the black on higher difficulties?

Neuschwanstein. Combine with a wide civ for scrooge mcduck levels of wealth. Show that tit Darius what a real ruler looks like.

JaseC

The Ubisoft's "buy a new CPU" talk makes me worry about The Division. Did Ubi talked about it being on steam?

Ubi hasn't said anything of the PC version since announcing it after a faux "the fans need to demand it" period. I wouldn't worry about Ubi forgoing a Steam release, though. Sure, there's a precedent, but all of Ubi's big-budget titles have been on Steam thus far.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

*bows* You're welcome!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Guys... The Elder Scrolls Online: So far it's downloaded over 30GB of data with no sign of stopping. Also, you can't set a download path (Installs to C:)so I've now filled my SSD completely. Made a symlink and moved the data it's already downloaded over to my secondary drive but... damn.

JaseC

I hope Ubi won't use it to kick start their own service.

Uplay is Ubi's own service. Part of the reason it exists is so that Ubi could unify its games under the one system as opposed to needing separate account systems across different games.

-Deimos

Guys... The Elder Scrolls Online: So far it's downloaded over 30GB of data with no sign of stopping. Also, you can't set a download path (Installs to C:)so I've now filled my SSD completely. Made a symlink and moved the data it's already downloaded over to my secondary drive but... damn.

How long is the beta?

jshackles

How long is the beta?

I only have access starting Friday and ending Sunday, but it's my understanding that it's been going on for a while now.

Uplay is Ubi's own service. Part of the reason it exists is so that Ubi could unify its games under the one system as opposed to needing separate account systems across different games.
I mean, Uplay, as an independent client, no long available else where.

I've never understood why games like that are so huge. Sure they can have big maps, but it is the same basic thing over and over.

Oh my...

Thank you, thank you, thank you MakeshiftChef for season 2 of The Walking Dead.

I absolutely loved season 1 and enjoyed 400 days.

This really brightened up my day because I got some disappointing news today and was feeling quite down up until now.

Thanks again MakeshiftChef and all you other generous GAFers.

<3

jshackles

I've never understood why games like that are so huge. Sure they can have big maps, but it is the same basic thing over and over.

The size strikes me as odd considering Skyrim was very storage optimized. As I recall vanilla Skyrim without patches was like... 6GB? 5.87? And that game was huge.

I'm just glad I don't have a monthly bandwidth cap.

JaseC

I mean, Uplay, as an independent client, no long available else where.

If Ubi is going to go down that route, it would experiment using a proven IP that has an existing fanbase on Steam rather than an unknown quantity. We saw this a couple of years ago with EA pulling Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 to prop up Origin in its earlier days and later releasing Battlefield 3 as an Origin title exclusively.

Dec

The size strikes me as odd considering Skyrim was very storage optimized. As I recall vanilla Skyrim without patches was like... 6GB? 5.87? And that game was huge.

I'm just glad I don't have a monthly bandwidth cap.

MMO's are really big games though. I'm picturing the skyrim map in my head and it feels like it's the size of two zones in an MMO. Factoring in how many zones there will be, plus instanced areas, plus maps for all the other game modes, more sets of armor. Not that surprised it's huge.

MMO's are really big games though. I'm picturing the skyrim map in my head and it feels like it's the size of two zones in an MMO. Factoring in how many zones there will be, plus instanced areas, plus maps for all the other game modes, more sets of armor. Not that surprised it's huge.

Relative size doesn't mean a lot though. Maybe Skyrim is different in terms of content (I doubt it) but a massive empty map will take up about as much space as a tiny one. It is all just the same textures and models.

Anustart

I'm really digging Deus Ex now, neoism was right!

In other news, in the upcoming sales, I really, really hope that resident evil 5 and 6 go for dirt cheap. I've played 5 to death and liked it well enough that I'm willing to give 6 a shot for the right price. Is it a decent action game and just not a decent survival horror?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh my...

Thank you, thank you, thank you MakeshiftChef for season 2 of The Walking Dead.

I absolutely loved season 1 and enjoyed 400 days.

This really brightened up my day because I got some disappointing news today and was feeling quite down up until now.

Thanks again MakeshiftChef and all you other generous GAFers.

<3

Congrats, with 141 entrants you were very fortunate indeed!

FOX_

Neo Member
I'm really digging Deus Ex now, neoism was right!

In other news, in the upcoming sales, I really, really hope that resident evil 5 and 6 go for dirt cheap. I've played 5 to death and liked it well enough that I'm willing to give 6 a shot for the right price. Is it a decent action game and just not a decent survival horror?

From what I've heard, RE Revelations is a much stronger survival horror game than 6. But I guess it depends on your preferences...can anyone else attest to this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
From what I've heard, RE Revelations is a much stronger survival horror game than 6. But I guess it depends on your preferences...can anyone else attest to this?

They are both action games, Revelations just happens to feel more like 4, especially when set to the single stick controls.

jediyoshi

If by these days horror is inversely proportional to action, definitely. The tension you'll get out of it will be from having your back against a wall as opposed to stuff visually scaring you though.

Backlogger

If I get an beta invite I will run into the same problem. I know its beta, but seems weird they haven't created an installer that lets you selected an install path

Lingitiz

Put about 2 hours into Risk of Rain today. This game is great, but I'm just really horrible at it.

Also been playing a ton of AC4. After hating AC3 so much I didn't think another one of these could get me onboard, but it's fucking awesome. If it stays as good as its been, it'll probably edge Brotherhood for my favorite in the series.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I've had it downloading for nearly 6 hours. 26%. I can't manage to get more than 900 kb/s down.

Still grateful that a fellow GAFfer was nice enough to send me a beta key, though. Me and my buddy are already getting hyped. He's going to go Nord warrior, I'm going with an Elven archer. Should be fun.

jwtsonga

Also been playing a ton of AC4. After hating AC3 so much I didn't think another one of these could get me onboard, but it's fucking awesome. If it stays as good as its been, it'll probably edge Brotherhood for my favorite in the series.

is the pc port crap?? would it be playable on a low end 5650 mobility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom