• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

I found the elevator fight and the final fight to be the hardest (since
Joker wouldn't turn around unless at least one of his thugs was still fighting you, and if one of his thugs was still fighting you, you couldn't pull him down
). In the Ivy fight, her vines come out centered around wherever you're standing. I'd fight all the way in the left or right, then roll to center when the first vines came up, then again to the opposite side when the second vines came up.

One trick in Arkham Asylum, if it's not too late, is to hold off on upgrading armor as long as possible and save an upgrade point for a boss battle. Upgrading your armor increases your maximum health and heals you to full, so, you know, maybe now's a time to use it? Ivy at least heals you to full halfway through the fight.

Oh god I had completely forgotten about the elevator fight, so much RAAAGGGEEEE

I already finished the game, but thanks for the advice. Guess that will also work in Arkham City?

Vibranium

Banned
Being honest, having a 5" screen I don't really need a handheld. Yeah, smartphone games are shitty, but the objective of handheld gaming is filling dead time, and they already give it.

I will probably buy a 2DS when it gets (even) cheaper, although paying full price for DD gonna hurt.

Makes sense, I'm not going to judge you haha. Phoenix Wright games will hopefully never disappear so there's always time.

gabbo

Was about to say the same thing. How is 30 old?

btw, if you want to start a Mélanie Laurent club, DO IT. I'd appreciate it.

Ok, gaming related, I'm pretty excited about the Sega Saturn controller and USB adapter I bought. Should be arriving on Friday. Can't wait to try it on MK Arcade Kollection and Skullgirls.

I'd join in on that as well. Hopefully she'll release another album in the next year or two. I rather enjoyed En T'Attendant.

How much did that controller run you, and where did you grab it? I've been looking into older controllers + usb adapters since I upgraded my pc, but haven't the slightest idea where to look.

zkylon

zkylewd
I take full responsibility of throwing this thread into disarray

it's what I do

but really back to topicland thanks denx for king's bounty, it's a pity that game isn't as popular as it should be (maybe that'd change if they actually did a proper sequel rather than questionably priced expansions). imma stop getting into these contests because I got like a streak of good luck and won like 4 games in a row and now I feel guilty about it

Caerith

Yeah, that pissed me off so much too. I was almost sweating while trying to finish off his last few guys and then Batclaw him. Luckily they went down fast and I grabbed him on all 3 attempts.

Oh man, I wish I'd thought of that, I could have saved so much time!
The final took me a few tries, really. Being one grab away from winning and then having to fight a whole new wave of guys was frustrating.

I almost used one of my upgrades on Ivy, but the vines and fireballs take off so much health that it's almost a waste. Once you figure out when (and how) to dodge, you could probably win that fight with your eyes closed.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The only similarity to LLTQ is the stat progression. There are maybe 30-40(?) attributes you can raise, but for the most part they are just barriers of entry for better jobs ('career path'). If anyone didn't know, the gameplay in Red Shirts is a social media platform set in a space base. Gameplay is broken up into days with a limited number of actions. The interface is a Facebook clone. You like friends updates, post your own, go to events. I don't really get how it is tongue-in-cheek or a parody, the humor is mostly 'the future will be so wacky.' I really hope it opens up and there is more to the game than just making friends with people and performing arbitrary events. But maybe its a commentary on social media rather than an engaging game. In regards to linearity, it is very wide in that you can friend anyone or spend your time your own way, but it doesnt really build to anything, at least in the first few hours. I would recommend not playing.
This is kinda disappointing to read, but thank you for obliging me. My husband expressed some level of interest (and likes LLTQ) but refrained since he's spent a fair chunk of discretionary change lately, so I thought I might surprise him with it for the holidays...but that doesn't sound too hot.

The game is good, but I found it quite hard. I'm not able to beat all of the regular levels, much less the special ones (CGA-land and such), so I'd still say it has a high difficulty level.
I don't know if this means I'm underestimating my own abilities or if you just haven't put as much time into the game as I did in order to beat all the levels. :(

Isn't Trucy pretty? <3
Girl is adorable. I haven't played any of the PW games but I am in favor of magicians with top hats.

Caerith

Oh god I had completely forgotten about the elevator fight, so much RAAAGGGEEEE

I already finished the game, but thanks for the advice. Guess that will also work in Arkham City?
I don't know if it works in City. I haven't played Arkham City since I bought the Harley DLC (shortly before they started handing out the GOTY edition for free).

I take full responsibility of throwing this thread into disarray

it's what I do

but really back to topicland thanks denx for king's bounty, it's a pity that game isn't as popular as it should be (maybe that'd change if they actually did a proper sequel rather than questionably priced expansions). imma stop getting into these contests because I got like a streak of good luck and won like 4 games in a row and now I feel guilty about it
The King's Bounty series is pretty great. Maybe someday I'll actually finish one of them.

FloatOn

speaking of rage. the sun temple boss in la mulana can fuck right off.

I'm reminded of gunstar heroes boss antics for this thing.

Momentary

Banned
I don't understand why Van Helsing's DLC isn't on sale too :(

Or at least have the Complete Pack discounted for owners of the base game

So I'm trying to do a hell run in Spelunky, having a great run and reach the Black Market. I have over 75k gold, climbing gloves, spike boots, spring boots, and bomb paste. I'm in great shape to make a full run.

Until a red frog shows up and takes a hop right next to a tiki torch near one of the shops, gets hit and blows up triggering the shopkeepers.

I love Spelunky, but cheap crap like that happening that you have no control over is BS. I have no issues dying from cheap deaths if it's my dumbass making mistakes.

edit: You know what, I'd say the only problem I have with this game is the shopkeeper triggering over shit you don't do.

denx

I'd join in on that as well. Hopefully she'll release another album in the next year or two. I rather enjoyed En T'Attendant.

How much did that controller run you, and where did you grab it? I've been looking into older controllers + usb adapters since I upgraded my pc, but haven't the slightest idea where to look.

I found it published on Mercadolibre, which is a chilean site to buy stuff online on, well, Chile. So unless you live around here, I don't know how much I can help you, sorry.

In any case, that was the last controller I found published. All the other Sega Saturn controllers I've found on Mercadolibre come bundled with the console, which sucks because I wanted to have two Saturn controllers to play fighting games locally with my pals. Guess we'll just have to do with a Saturn controller and a 360 controller.

I guess I could buy from Amazon, but I've never done international shipping before so that kinda scares me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't understand why Van Helsing's DLC isn't on sale too :(

Or at least have the Complete Pack discounted for owners of the base game

I know what you mean. At least here in the US, the complete pack is only $0.03 more than buying all the DLC separately.

Don't get me wrong - I love this game but this sort of shenanigans is a real turn off.

destx

hey JaseC buy that Young Justice game and tell me if it's good

you want it because, uh...

think Htown think

it's a licensed game based on a cancelled TV show, so it won't be there long?

Sounds like the gameplay is pretty bad, also it's capped at 30 FPS. I am NOT ENJOYING THIS TREND

Momentary

Banned
I know what you mean. At least here in the US, the complete pack is only $0.03 more than buying all the DLC separately.

Don't get me wrong - I love this game but this sort of shenanigans is a real turn off.

I was ready to snatch all of it off if they applied the same discount to the DLC. It's almost like punishing you for buying the game early.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
It's sounding kinda like Half-Minute Hero will be discounted through the Humble Store tomorrow.

h5A7lEJ.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was ready to snatch all of it off if they applied the same discount to the DLC. It's almost like punishing you for buying the game early.

Agreed. I would pay $5 for all of the DLC. Instead they get $0.

ArjanN

The Ivy fight on hard was terrible. Her vines seemed to come out of the ground at random, it was almost impossible to evade them.

I just beat it again as well, and the vines are telegraphed way in advance.

They're easy to avoid as long as you don't over commit in fighting the enemies around.

StAidan

That hugeseal sale seems pretty sweet, I already own 12 of the games but I'm thinking of adding these 4 to my library:

Cubetractor
Element4l
Reus
Monaco

Has anyone played Cubetractor? It looks cool in the trailer, I'm just noticing the low user count. (Steamcharts says 10 players all-time peak.)

I was in luck! I bought 3 of these with the coupons, and my random free game was the fourth (Cubetractor). Guess I'll find out if it's any good.

denx

I just beat it again as well, and the vines are telegraphed way in advance.

They're easy to avoid as long as you don't over commit in fighting the enemies around.

Not quite telegraphed. You could tell from the grass growing in the ground where some of her vines would come out, but there were also sections of ground where there wasn't any grass and the vines would still come out from there. I felt like the game was bullshitting me at that point. Moving from the far left to the far right anytime grass started to appear is what eventually kep me alive in that fight though.

Watching Total Biscuit nerdrage over the latest Need For Speed got my hankering for a racing game, so out of the few I own I chose to re-install Ridge Racer: Unbounded. It looks like RRU does not have a local save file directory, all of my progress (and possibly DLC) is absent. I scoured through the quagmire that is My Documents and My Games and could not find a Bug Bear or Ridge Racer save directory. I have an NBGI dir but that only contains a Dark Souls save dir. I haven't manually deleted any save files, I keep everything, and a new directory has not been created with the latest installation of RRU.

You do connect to the RRU servers when you launch the game and I have changed my Steam profile name since I last played the game, so perhaps the save information is bound by name rather than my Steam account. I dunno. I'll try changing it back see if I regain access to my old progress and DLC (a few cars I bought during the Xmas sale).

Edit: Nope. The name change makes no difference. Still back at square one, dun see my dlc cars. It's only roughly 8 hours of progress but I don't feel like re-playing the same content. Guess I'll just play Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Cody_D165

Banned
Shame that the rumor for the Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed DLC being announced today didn't seem to be true. Was looking forward to it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if this means I'm underestimating my own abilities or if you just haven't put as much time into the game as I did in order to beat all the levels. :(

Girl is adorable. I haven't played any of the PW games but I am in favor of magicians with top hats.
It's definitely the former. I haven't played too much of it, but being able to 100% it makes you much better at games than me.

And the Ace Attorney games are great, you should try the first one if you get the chance.

Grief.exe

Just got Civ V Gods & Kings from GMG with their 20% off promo code. Going to play a session tonight with my friend.

Anyone know some tips on how to keep your economy in the black on higher difficulties?

Caerith

Just got Civ V Gods & Kings from GMG with their 20% off promo code. Going to play a session tonight with my friend.

Anyone know some tips on how to keep your economy in the black on higher difficulties?
It depends which civ you're playing as, really. Avoid building roads if you can (the 1/gold per tile upkeep is brutal), keep your military as small as you can manage, and try to grab up as many luxury resources as you can to keep your people happy (and as an option to rent out to other civs).

The Tradition policy track. One policy allows you to get more gold from your citizens and another makes it so that every unit garrisoned in a city is maintenance free. Also if you max out the policy track, you get awesome border growth.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hopefully something worthwhile? Can barely recall the last weekly I purchased.... Maybe Serious Sam? The one with Shadow Warrior, Duke, Hard Rest, and SS was great but I already owned eveyrthing there.

JustinBB7

I wonder if Walking Dead season 2 had some trouble or something. They first said it would come out very soon after the announcement, Steam has had it out in November the entire time. But heard nothing for ages. And yesterday they posted something like it will come out before the end of the year..

Still hope for November but doesn't look like it.

Grief.exe

It depends which civ you're playing as, really. Avoid building roads if you can (the 1/gold per tile upkeep is brutal), keep your military as small as you can manage, and try to grab up as many luxury resources as you can to keep your people happy (and as an option to rent out to other civs).

I read that renting out resources to civs and grabbing a puppet state + trading posts is a good strategy.

The Tradition policy track. One policy allows you to get more gold from your citizens and another makes it so that every unit garrisoned in a city is maintenance free. Also if you max out the policy track, you get awesome border growth.

I'll check it out.

I wonder if Walking Dead season 2 had some trouble or something. They first said it would come out very soon after the announcement, Steam has had it out in November the entire time. But heard nothing for ages. And yesterday they posted something like it will come out before the end of the year..

You know Telltale, they will refuse to ship something if it has even the slightest hint of a technical issue.

Caerith

Tradition is great to start with, but so is Liberty for the free settler + worker (since turns spent on those is turns spent not doing other stuff).

Also, find as many civs and city-states as you can starting off, and steal their workers and settlers. You can always make peace afterwards, but it really screws over their early-game development.

I read that renting out resources to civs and grabbing a puppet state + trading posts is a good strategy.

I'll check it out.
They made it so you have to have a declaration of friendship before you can sell resources, but I don't know if that change was in G&K or BNW so maybe you still can?

JustinBB7

You know Telltale, they will refuse to ship something if it has even the slightest hint of a technical issue.

That... doesn't sound like Telltale.. tons of people have save file losses in Walking Dead and they don't even try to fix it, let alone talk about it. My friend had it too and she hasn't touched the game since she lost her saves.

I'm happy I didn't have that problem, but I fear the worst for importing them to Season 2.

Zia

So I'm trying to do a hell run in Spelunky, having a great run and reach the Black Market. I have over 75k gold, climbing gloves, spike boots, spring boots, and bomb paste. I'm in great shape to make a full run.

Until a red frog shows up and takes a hop right next to a tiki torch near one of the shops, gets hit and blows up triggering the shopkeepers.

I love Spelunky, but cheap crap like that happening that you have no control over is BS. I have no issues dying from cheap deaths if it's my dumbass making mistakes.

edit: You know what, I'd say the only problem I have with this game is the shopkeeper triggering over shit you don't do.

Yeah, never leave any shopkeepers alive.

louiedog

It's also been over a month since the first episode of The Wolf Among Us without any release date for the second. I hope everything is going smoothly over there. I'm guessing it's two completely separate teams, but it doesn't seem like a good sign that we're not hearing about either.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom