• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't SS2 have that issue if you picked wrong class, you're gimped throughout the all the game? Sounds like a bad game.

Class is much less important then how you build your character when inside the game. I picked one of the supposedly "bad classes" on my first playthroughs and still managed to worm my way to success.

Grief.exe

SS2 may be terrible to someone that just started playing recently as in "boy those are terrible graphics" but other than that, the gameplay itself shits all over the biocrap that Levine been churning lately.

Looks pretty damn good to me.

49EDF4C9AA404FC7653FAFFFB165B2A0C86210E1

82769BBDB809EEBFCB641940F364B2BC096AAD47

Didn't SS2 have that issue if you picked wrong class, you're gimped throughout the all game? Sounds like a bad game.

It is an older game and they generally had more complex systems back then, there were certain classes that were more difficult to play. Unless you knew where to go to get the right items early in the game.

Generally people recommend a certain playstyle for first time players to experience the game.

The checkpoints are terrible in that game though. I lost all five hours of my last SS2 playthrough because of it.

It had quick-save though...

nexen

Its hard for me to tell anymore, honestly.

eh, it's an aged game. I can see why a newcomer might not like it. It is the standard problem of judging a game in the time it was released vs. its merits right now. When that game came out it was simply amazing. But that was like fourteen years ago. A lot has changed since then, and many games have built on what SS2 has done.

I watched Casablanca for the first time in 2007 and I couldn't stand it. So goddamned slow.

edit: I think check-pointing is a good example as I think they are vastly superior to save games, when done correctly. They don't break immersion as badly and they don't arbitrarily punish the user for forgetting to perform a maintenance function that has no bearing on the game world. Also quick-save scumming was a really annoying degenerate strategy.

My order for Asus 23' screen arrived, it looks sogood.gif. It's capable of Full HD, my earlier screen that I got free didn't and I think it was going to broke, the color scheme went weird and all. Damn its so fun to finally have a good rig, good screen and I'll get new keyboard and mouse with side buttons too, along with a microphone so co-op can be smoother and I don't have to rely on Sanctum 2's (admittedly fun) text-to-speech chat.

Also sent my GOTY list via PM, voted of course only the games I've played.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
eh, it's an aged game. I can see why a newcomer might not like it. It is the standard problem of judging a game in the time it was released vs. its merits right now. When that game came out it was simply amazing. But that was like fourteen years ago. A lot has changed since then, and many games have built on what SS2 has done.

I watched Casablanca for the first time in 2007 and I couldn't stand it. So goddamned slow.
Casablanca aged like fine wine, System Shock 2 did not.

I love SS2 on a conceptual level, but not on one that involves playing it. Horror in games is just a thing that equates to making things play worse for the sake of tension, but I did appreciate its systems and overall design. I just got kind of tired of monsters in the repetitive corridors of the Von Braun and Rickenbacker. Thematically appropriate? Sure. Do I derive joy of playing through that? Not so much. It only makes the Bioshocks more disappointing when they get the window dressings so right but everything else so, so wrong. The entire series is always just within grasp of greatness but never truly realizes it.

Didn't SS2 have that issue if you picked wrong class, you're gimped throughout the all game? Sounds like a bad game.
Sure, if that were the case -- which it's not. Like any game with a class selection some are going to have an easier time than others; but no you're not gimped for choosing any particular class.

The checkpoints are terrible in that game though. I lost all five hours of my last SS2 playthrough because of it.
This kind of phenomenon always kind of astounds me because I've never been one to trust a game with saves when they give me carte blanche to save whenever. It's just a habit that I've ingrained from my youth, if the game gives you the ability to save, do it. I'd rather the fate after my demise be in my own hands, rather than whatever machinations the machine deems acceptable.

Zia

Yeah, that's not a good comparison.

--

And for the record, I'm a huge Looking Glass / immersive sim fan. Thief II is among my favorite games of all-time, though I think it's also starting to show its age. I'm not a "newcomer," LOL.

nexen

Opinions vary. That movie put me right to sleep.

didn't think that was a particularly controversial opinion, but .. ok. Feel free to share yours.

And for the record, I'm a huge Looking Glass / immersive sim fan. Thief II is among my favorite games of all-time, though I think it's also starting to show its age. I'm not a "newcomer," LOL.
I fucking adore Thief 2 and SS2 but can totally understand why someone playing them for the first time today would hate them. Games are a problematic media because the gains in technology and design have been so rapid up to now. It is hard for those of us who played the games when they were new to see them in a modern context, without nostalgia.

JakeD

my eyes! help!
just tried to play Wake and I think it's unplayable, really painful experience

you don't like the 200x300 resolution it seems to run at? i thought it really helped out the underwater effect.

seriously though, i had the same experience. bad controls and horrible visuals, i lasted 15 minutes

Iseeyou

Banned
Opinions vary. That movie put me right to sleep.

didn't think that was a particularly controversial opinion, but .. ok. Feel free to share yours.

Risen 1 is basically a reskined Gothic 3, sure its a lot better most of the bugs are ironed out , performance is much better and it has a more focused story and gameplay but it looks NEARLY the same as G3 which makes mad because I that POS on day which infuriates me to this day.

Arthea

you don't like the 200x300 resolution it seems to run at? i thought it really helped out the underwater effect.

seriously though, i had the same experience. bad controls and horrible visuals, i lasted 15 minutes

It's not really about resolution, although it didn't help, but all colour flaring and red flashy screens make my eyes ache.

Shosai

Banned
Sure, if that were the case -- which it's not. Like any game with a class selection some are going to have an easier time than others; but no you're not gimped for choosing any particular class.

On the harder difficulties, SS2 becomes unbeatable if you poorly invest your skillpoints. This is a game in which ammo is scarce and most of the game's weapons can't even be equipped without significant investment. And it's universally agreed that starting down the PSI career path is significantly harder, something which Levine himself admitted as an unintended oversight in game design.

There was also one instance where I had to go back to an earlier save and lose 3 hours of progress because a walking mech insta-gibbed me- as it was standing right in front of the respawn chamber. This triggered a loop where I kept reviving and dying, unable to get out the room without getting one-shotted.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Defy Gravity -- MB-0234BD8D02909B01 - Taken by cicero
Who's That Flying? -- MB-C007A7DCDE8FCC31 - Taken by drizzle

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Too heavily tied to "unlocking x upgrade after enough experience" for my tastes rather than it being primarily skill-driven. Some people like filling bars or meeting requirements that would otherwise artificially impede your progress, and others (like myself) don't.

There's something to be said about all rogue-lites having a grind aspect to it for better or for worse; I just don't think Rogue Legacy had a particularly good crack at it. Far from it. It bothered me in The Binding of Isaac as well (albeit in different ways), but at least Ed McMillen put more thought into its overall design even prior to Wrath of the Lamb and expanded it with a ton of content to justify its style of grinding, limitations of working with Flash notwithstanding. Rogue Legacy had some one-off novelty gimmicks in its stead. Different types of 'rogue-lites' admittedly, but at least I had some fun with Isaac... after having to put way too many hours to even open up the meat of that game.

Just the other day I set up a new profile for Rogue Legacy in which I am ignoring the Manor (purchase upgrades for stats) save for increasing the amount of armour I can equip, the Smitty (to get armour and weapons), and the Enchantress to use the runes. All of which takes very little money that I easily get without really going out of my way to get gold due to my nature of "kill everything".
My plan and purpose is to see how far into the game I can get without "grinding" for gold and the like to get those stat increases, instead focusing only on improving my skill in the game and just using what is found in the castle instead. Chests with stats increase, special items from praying at an alter, armour and weapon unlocks, etc are the only increase I am using just as though it was a 16-bit game beyond the three things I unlocked in the Manor mentioned above.

What I've found is that it is entirely playable this way, with every area still open to reach despite the characters being much weaker than I would be if I was "grinding" to get all those stats and character classes. A standard knight can make his/her way through the tower, castle, dungeon, and forest and survive with most every spell (some better than others) even without runes, and then runes just making it easier/more fun. I wish my knight could do more at times, but I also wish Simon Belmont could whip diagonally in those early games.
Each of the bosses have rather basic and easy to plot movements and attacks. It took longer that I imagined, but each of them fell eventually even with those weak attacks and small pool of mana to attack with (except the dungeon one, due to the constant potion bottles being dropped). It was no worse than any NES/Mega Drive Castlevania.

Without the benefit of a much higher health points or magic bar or special classes that can take better damage or naturally faster or special abilities like mist form I was left really with just focusing on skills such as best use of a sword swing hitting enemies from behind, the drop down attack manoeuvre, and being good with those sub-weapons. Runes had to be selected better because I couldn't depend on living that long if I was hurt often, so avoidance became a key tactic with dash and double jump and sometimes the glide which I had all but ignored in the "grind" play through.
Aye one can argue against having to enter a new castle constantly just to build up all those items in chests and focus too much, but that is going to be dependent on the perception one has of them, if they are "needed" or "a nice thing to make the game easier". I choose the later and just finding them eventually, even though I died a lot, as just a normal part of me trying to clear out the castle and having fun getting to the bosses.

I'm not saying this type of play through would help anyone who wasn't a fan of it in the first play through with it's obvious intended play style of course, which I talked about in a previous post about why comparing it to Speunky and the like doesn't fit with me, but instead that after experimenting it is entirely possible to play the game in a different way that doesn't focus on those issues. I think the best comparison is Hard Corps: Uprising which offered a way to play it in standard Contra style and than a RPG build up style, I could do either and enjoy them for both purposes. I didn't need to "fill bars" or unlock everything to make it through most of the game (I've only just beat the 4th boss) and yet I'm still having fun.

Of course I do understand that the harder difficulty of such a self-chosen play through would put other people off and others who didn't care for the basic systems and mechanics of Rogue Legacy in the first place the lack of those extras will just highlight their announces more in the combat/enemies, but I like the game both ways I've played it and enjoy a good challenge.

Apotheon has an interesting style.
Currently 33% off and including a copy of Capsized.

Ah how wonderful to be reminded of Apotheon. I recall playing it at PAX and just being so surprised, and pleased, at how well the mechanics of having to properly aim and arc a weapon to hit an enemy got me engrossed into what is a "hack and slash". Though calling it a hack and slash is like calling Hotel Miami a hack and slash, hitting randomly won't help you too much while planning it out in advance and sometimes waiting will get best results.
Helps it just look wonderful with it's tempera based style.

Raytow

Looks pretty damn good to me.

It is an older game and they generally had more complex systems back then, there were certain classes that were more difficult to play. Unless you knew where to go to get the right items early in the game.

Generally people recommend a certain playstyle for first time players to experience the game.

It had quick-save though...
That looks like it has a few mods applied, and even then it wasn't exactly a looker when it was released it in its time.

Grief.exe

You and me both.
I have it on the 360, but I almost never turn it on.
Thanks to my "gotta keep series together" OCD, I haven't bought it on the PC yet either, since then the series would be split.

I just buy the definitive version of a game, regardless of platform. Except for those games that are just called the definitive version for marketing reasons, see: Tomb Raider.

Sidebar: Tomb Raider is a decent game but I really don't see me replaying that one in the future.

That looks like it has a few mods applied, and even then it wasn't exactly a looker when it was released it in its time.

Of course it has a couple mods applied. Doesn't take very long to implement those fixes and makes the game look quite good.

rtcn63

I prefer Bioshock became I'm impatient and enjoy the FPS aspect. SS2 was not something I could get into, mostly since I got my arse handed to me. I'd have to quicksave constantly to keep myself from having too little fun, but I'm aware that says more about my lack of skill than the game itself. There are people who love SS, I'm just more of a Bioshock fella. Plus I like the story and setting, I read the plot synopsis for SS and it did not blow my mind at all, as some have claimed.

It just shows EA would do ANYTHING not to be voted Worst Company in America yet again.

/cynical

They probably should have had that giveaway after the BF4 launch if that was their reason. I think any goodwill gained from that giveaway has effectively evaporated at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom