• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPS showed a lot of restraint by not demanding to see the customization options for the character models to make sure none of them were too sexualized.

I am surprised too seeing the phallic shape of this starships with huge thrusters representing male potency.

Then again they only care when it is the female starship that is being sexualized. go figure!

Turfster

I am surprised too seeing the phallic shape of this starships with huge thrusters representing male potency.

Then again they only care when it is the female starship that is being sexualized. go figure!

RPS showed a lot of restraint by not demanding to see the customization options for the character models to make sure none of them were too sexualized.

This shit really adds absolutely nothing to the thread or the topic at hand.
Sure, let's make fun of one of the few places that dares do its actual journalistic job, because lulz, right? Let's bury discussion of the game under the sexism flamewar again even though it's totally non-relevant.

The other reason we’re not seeing beyond these worlds is that Hello Games want No Man’s Sky to be about discovery. “What we wanted to get across was a sort of frontiersmanship, a sense of mystery and wonder. For me exploration is seeing something no one has seen before, and for your experience to be unique.”

This is kinda an exciting and inspiriting quote. If the exploration is great, combined with great combat mechanics... could be something amazing.

edit:^

Sure, let's make fun of one of the few places that dares do its actual journalistic job, because lulz, right? Let's bury discussion of the game under the sexism flamewar again even though it's totally non-relevant.

It was just a joke... cool off.

I need some advice guys, Arcania + Gothic Pack $12.49 (which wasn't on my wishlist but the games look fun) or the rest of Painkiller Games to complete my collection $12.46 on Gala Store (which also aren't on my wishlist) or don't buy anything and wait for the Winter Sales and buy stuff from my wishlist?

So I popped in (digitally that is, this is the Steam thread after all) LOTR: War in the North from the recentish Humble Bundle. And good gravy does that game ever make a bad first impression. First off my TV's 1366 x 768 resolution was not supported, so I had to play it non-stretched at 1024 x 768 with big old black columns on either side. Which would be ok for a game from like the early 2000s, but not for one this recent. Then in the game it's just such a muddy mess to look at, really unappealing art direction on display. Brown characters fighting brown orcs on top of crappy brown ground textures. With an occasional gray building. Put in 15min and then deleted local contents and moved it to the "Done with it" category. I liked the Dark Alliance games back in the day, and I like Lord of the Rings, but this was not for me, especially with a big library to work through.

edit: Crappy art example added.

AzmimXi.jpg

The enemies showed in that screenshot looks very familiar to the Armored Wights from DDO

gpGKsbz.jpg

nexen

I need some advice guys, Arcania + Gothic Pack $12.49 (which wasn't on my wishlist but the games look fun) or the rest of Painkiller Games to complete my collection $12.46 on Gala Store (which also aren't on my wishlist) or don't buy anything and wait for the Winter Sales and buy stuff from my wishlist?

I've seen that gothic pack go for that price several times before. Probably will again during the sale. I don't know if that changes your calculus or not though.

Honestly I'd forgo the Gothic pack and just pick up Gothic 3 and *maybe* Gothic 2, if you can stand older games. Arcania just isn't as good, though I like it better than most people around here seem to. They really broke that "go anywhere, do anything" feeling that made the previous games so much fun.

I am continuing my ruthless backlog playtesting and discarding of games until I find one that clicks. Feels good man.

I'm all about this these days. I've got a rare night tonight where my wife is out so after I get the kids to bed I've already preinstalled five or six new games that I'm interested in. The goal is to put about 30 min into all of them, discard the ones that don't interest me, and choose the order to play the remaining ones.

It looks nice at 2880x1620 and locked at 60 fps. The art direction looks pretty pleasant then.

It really was a case of the color choices to me, so I'm not sure if high res would have helped my complaints. Even looking at images online (I was wondering if the whole game was like that) they just seem so overwhelmingly brown and bland that I'm totally turned off from trying to play more. Obviously to each their own on artstyles though.

Turfster

I'd go for the third option.
The Gothic games are an acquired taste with fiddly controls and janky mechanics in general. Yes, they were impressive when they were released, but they're not all that good if you don't have nostalgia glasses on.
The Painkiller games are basically more of the same. I guess if you liked the running through cramped environments with hordes of enemies spawning on top of you from the Painkiller you already have, you might want to get them. If it's just for completing the collection though, I'm pretty sure they'll be cheaper. The complete pack's been cheaper.

Anteater

So I popped in (digitally that is, this is the Steam thread after all) LOTR: War in the North from the recentish Humble Bundle. And good gravy does that game ever make a bad first impression. First off my TV's 1366 x 768 resolution was not supported, so I had to play it non-stretched at 1024 x 768 with big old black columns on either side. Which would be ok for a game from like the early 2000s, but not for one this recent. Then in the game it's just such a muddy mess to look at, really unappealing art direction on display. Brown characters fighting brown orcs on top of crappy brown ground textures. With an occasional gray building. Put in 15min and then deleted local contents and moved it to the "Done with it" category. I liked the Dark Alliance games back in the day, and I like Lord of the Rings, but this was not for me, especially with a big library to work through.

edit: Crappy art example added.

I haven't played this game but

This is what early 2000 games looks like

This is what a 2011 game looks like

So I don't think the screenshot you posted look that bad :p

No that comment (early 2000's) was on the lack of a 1366 x 768 resolution option, not for graphics in general. I just feel like it was too big of a title and too recent to not have fairly common HDTV resolutions available.

cicero

I think it is unavoidable. The bigger budget you have the more copies you have to sell therefore the more people and skill levels you have to support. The steeper the learning curve the more people there are that will bounce right off of it.
The whole strategy of tent-pole film and game productions has amply been shown to be a flawed one. Most of the time you are left with large budget entertainment products that are mediocre and dumbed down in some way to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The market gets crowded with inferior products that can't afford to fail while the real faithful base of interested consumers go elsewhere for their entertainment. Let the huge mass of impatient casual gamers bounce off of lower cost higher quality games that focus on appealing to specific target audiences with a good sense of taste and standards.

Lingitiz

Okay just finished Brothers. The mechanics were a bit simplistic and flirt with greatness at times, and there were some obvious contrivances in the story, but holy shit that game is fucking amazing. It had a great final act and an incredible ending. It really captures a bit of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in tone.

Highly recommended and definitely a contender for my personal GOTY.

C4rter

Is Midnight Club II for 2 bucks (Gamefly) worth it? Even if just for the lulz?

When it was new I played the hell out of this game. I tuned in my own MP3 (the game supports this) and had lots and lots of fun with many of the later race tracks because they are so insane but make so much fun.
I bought it on Steam some time ago but I wasn't able to recreate this kind of fun from before. Well...good old times.

Omega

Banned

way to pick one of the worst 2011 games.

I'm sure there's some 2000 games that look like Atari games

I've seen that gothic pack go for that price several times before. Probably will again during the sale. I don't know if that changes your calculus or not though.

Honestly I'd forgo the Gothic pack and just pick up Gothic 3 and *maybe* Gothic 2, if you can stand older games. Arcania just isn't as good, though I like it better than most people around here seem to. They really broke that "go anywhere, do anything" feeling that made the previous games so much fun.

I'd go for the third option.
The Gothic games are an acquired taste with fiddly controls and janky mechanics in general. Yes, they were impressive when they were released, but they're not all that good if you don't have nostalgia glasses on.
The Painkiller games are basically more of the same. I guess if you liked the running through cramped environments with hordes of enemies spawning on top of you from the Painkiller you already have, you might want to get them. If it's just for completing the collection though, I'm pretty sure they'll be cheaper. The complete pack's been cheaper.

I think that's enough for me, well since both games wasn't on my wishlist I can hold a little bit more in buying them, I like the RPG games and I thought that Arcania and Gothic could be a great addition to my collection, but I'm playing Skyrim at the momento so I can wait a little bit more, about Painkiller I played Black Edition (before buying it on Steam) on a friend's house, and I liked it, it's not my GOTY game obviously but I like that kind of games, the games are cheaper in Gala Store, so I don't know... but probably I will wait for the Winter Sales and buy stuff from my Wishlist (games that I really want).

Thank you guys

nexen

The whole strategy of tent-pole film and game productions has amply been shown to be a flawed one. Most of the time you are left with large budget entertainment products that are mediocre and dumbed down in some way to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The market gets crowded with inferior products that can't afford to fail while the real faithful base of interested consumers go elsewhere for their entertainment. Let the huge mass of impatient casual gamers bounce off of lower cost higher quality games that focus on appealing to specific target audiences with a good sense of taste and standards.

It wasn't my intention to argue for or against the strategy. I was simply stating that as budgets get larger you need a bigger audience to support the game and thus is needs to be more mainstream and "dumbed down". Rightly or wrongly the big publishers are still currently pursuing this strategy.

Backlogger

There's a pretty decent sale going on for Titan Quest right now - $4.99 for both it and its expansion - is it worth it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4550/

That isn't a bad price for both of them. Enhanced Steam says it was $3.99 on Amazon last month, but it may be hard to catch at that price.

Whatever you do though, buy the bundle, no matter how good the price is on the base game. Once you have the base game it will be impossible to find a good deal on the expansion and you will end up buying the bundled version later anyway.

I'm finding civ5 BNW to be quite a good game. I can see why people consider it to be the best version too. My experience with civ5 is that I play tons of hours and usually move on before the game ends then return a month later and start over and repeat lol... but this time I am finding that the mid-late game is as fun as the early game.

Ezra2680

Is there anywhere that has an up-to-date list of games that can drop cards? Hadn't messed with them in a while, but decided to sell off my inventory last night and ended up making $6 in a couple of minutes. May be a good way to get an extra game or two in the next sale if I can farm a few more.

Edit: Sorry if this is posted in the OP. I see a link to a steam page, but I'm at work and steam is blocked.

The_Monk

Is there anywhere that has an up-to-date list of games that can drop cards? Hadn't messed with them in a while, but decided to sell off my inventory last night and ended up making $6 in a couple of minutes. May be a good way to get an extra game or two in the next sale if I can farm a few more.

Edit: Sorry if this is posted in the OP. I see a link to a steam page, but I'm at work and steam is blocked.

I believe you can make an advanced Search on Steam and choose "Trading Cards" or something similar and you will have all the games available with Cards fellow GAFfer.

Turfster

Steam Card Exchange has a showcase, which includes cards, prices, badges, emoticons and wallpapers.

Clawww

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Natural Selection 2 -- MB-A4DB669C964CEFD3 - Taken by user237

cicero

Since when is a friendly informality to this thread or ability to make a joke at the expense of an all too serious moral crusading game "journalist" site suddenly beyond the pale??

Ezra2680

Well this is weird. It lists Contrast as having cards. I have contrast, but it doesn't show up on my badges page and I've never received a card. Steam store also lists Contrast as having cards.

Whats up with that?

Any way to tell if they were added after release or not? May be some kind of bug if you had it installed before they were added

Turfster

Since when is a friendly informality to this thread or ability to make a joke at the expense of an all too serious moral crusading game "journalist" site suddenly beyond the pale??

It was mainly the fact that we got 2 of these "jokes" in a row that set me off.
Also, people forget there's like, 10 different people writing for RPS.
If your brother drives over my puppy, I get to call you a dog-killer and make yapping noises at you for the rest of your life, right? Because that's how it seems to work, apparently.

Well this is weird. It lists Contrast as having cards. I have contrast, but it doesn't show up on my badges page and I've never received a card. Steam store also lists Contrast as having cards.

Whats up with that?
Sometimes steam (and steam card exchange) will list games before the cards are actually active. I'm seeing Contrast stuff on the market, though, so they're definitely active. Not seeing anything on the forum either at first glance about people having trouble getting cards. Have you tried running the game? Sometimes it appears in the badges list after it's been run once.

nexen

Didn't even muss up my hair.

Sometimes steam (and steam card exchange) will list games before the cards are actually active. I'm seeing Contrast stuff on the market, though, so they're definitely active. Not seeing anything on the forum either at first glance about people having trouble getting cards. Have you tried running the game? Sometimes it appears in the badges list after it's been run once.

I bought the pre-order special edition. I wonder if that is what triggered the issue? Annoying.

Parsnip

I guess I need to start thinking about my goty list soon.

I can't even remember what games even came out this year.
Only thing I'm sure of is that Dark Souls is my 2013's 2012/2011 game of the year.

It was mainly the fact that we got 2 of these "jokes" in a row that set me off.
Also, people forget there's like, 10 different people writing for RPS.
If your brother drives over my puppy, I get to call you a dog-killer and make yapping noises at you for the rest of your life, right? Because that's how it seems to work, apparently.

Believe it or not in a professional setting your representation of yourself is also in part a representation of your company, especially in acts your company authorizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom