• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I didn't know it had cards and went to load it up and realized I don't even have Garry Mod. Huh. Thanks.
you are welcome!

Ahh ok. Regardless i'm getting the hang of it now and it seems like the perfect game to keep coming back to.

truth facts I learned while playing 99 spirits, that might help you:
1. Never, under any circumstances leave a city without sake (and not some cheap booze, but quality sake)
2. Repairing your sword is top priority, without it you are nothing!
3. You can't carry everything you want with you, that's not a way of the warrior, that's why you take only what's necessary, refer to point 1.

sake is needed for teleporting back to the city, how cute is that? (><)
you need at least 2 sword mending items while leaving on the mission.
inventory is seriously very small

Jawmuncher

you are welcome!

truth facts I learned while playing 99 spirits, that might help you:
1. Never, under any circumstances leave a city without sake (and not some cheap booze, but quality sake)
2. Repairing your sword is top priority, without it you are nothing!
3. You can't carry everything you want with you, that's not a way of the warrior, that's why you take only what's necessary, refer to point 1.

sake is needed for teleporting back to the city, how cute is that? (><)
you need at least 2 sword mending items while leaving on the mission.
inventory is seriously very small

Will definitely keep that in mind. Biggest issue I have now is money disappears quick so far.

Jawmuncher

So those Damn Snow Globe cards we should be able to grab during the sale right?
I'm only missing 3, 5, and 8. But don't want to pay 20 each for them. Considering how cheap the summer sales cards got.

Arthea

So those Damn Snow Globe cards we should be able to grab during the sale right?
I'm only missing 3, 5, and 8. But don't want to pay 20 each for them. Considering how cheap the summer sales cards got.

I have all, can't wait to see what I'll get for it
itsnothing.pic

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One more thing about Dementium II HD. While it is still definitely based on a Nintendo DS game, and while it definitely isn't some graphical masterpiece, for such a small tem and low-budget they did a pretty good job at spicing up the locations of the original.

Keep in mind the original game looked like this:
dementium_ii_kotaku_08-w340.jpg
dementiumscreenshotdsmachinegun_2.jpg

And the remake looks like this:

It must have took such a small team some time to recreate all the assets while also keeping the design, look, and feel of the original game the same.

Jawmuncher

It's just a winter badge, and you know it!

Sadly I know this is the truth but I like to pretend it isn't.
I just hope that at least the emoticons and majority of backgrounds are better than the summer sale. The best thing out of the summer sale was the Bioshock Infinite background.

But Aliens: Colonial Marines for 2$ ,worth it?Have they fix the game?

Depends on whether you want to download the giant "fix" patch that was released afterwards, which was about 4 GB.

The vanilla game is from all accounts way too easy, so if you don't mind the extra patch on top, it may be marginally better. I was thinking of picking it up myself.

Divius

I'm still FEZing it up, still have no clue what I'm doing. I love the sense of wonder and the world design, but I'm having trouble figuring out how warping exactly works and how I get from point A to point B (unless you actually need to platform your way through the worlds again, in which case; bleh). The music is so incredible, I need to get my hands on the soundtrack.

D6239F1C23B33A9A7C7F53D3ECF5CA3156591722

Acccent

I'm still FEZing it up, still have no clue what I'm doing. I love the sense of wonder and the world design, but I'm having trouble figuring out how warping exactly works and how I get from point A to point B (unless you actually need to platform your way through the worlds again, in which case; bleh). The music is so incredible, I need to get my hands on the soundtrack.

yep the music is among the best ever ever ever
http://disasterpeace.com/

edit: and the remixes albums are excellent too, particularly Side Z

To go from point A to B you can use a warp to get closer but then yeah you have to platform through the rest of the way. It's one of the main criticisms of the game, I think it's by design and works towards improving the overall experience.

Card Boy

Banned
Why not just play SolForge? Aren't they basically the same game (except one has people playing it...)?

Solforge is crap and the only thing they have in common is they are both TCG boardgames. Also you only need 1 other person playing a TCG to have a full game going.

Caerith

It's just cosmetic, as far as I could tell. Replaces the backgrounds (though not enemies, alas) with glowy Tronesque goodness. I was tickled by the look, and how the "Building..." text was replaced with "Jacking in..." :D

Nice. I'll have to give that one a try.

mannerbot

Not to my knowledge, what makes you think it's the same game?

Richard Garfield is the designer responsible for both games (along with Magic: the Gathering, Netrunner, and many others) and while I haven't tried SolForge, it sounds very similar in core mechanics to Spectromancer, which I have played.

Solforge is crap and the only thing they have in common is they are both TCG boardgames. Also you only need 1 other person playing a TCG to have a full game going.

No, they have quite a lot more in common than that, and I don't see the appeal in picking up a competitive multiplayer game that nobody plays (excepting proven, timeless classics where it's worth overcoming the steep learning curves that arise from the fact that your opponents are mostly made up of grizzled veterans). If the aspects of SolForge you don't like are the F2P transactions -- and all that entails -- and the card leveling up system, then it makes sense; otherwise, I don't see why you would want Spectromancer if you think that SolForge is crap. Still, it'd be hard for the game not to be worth $2 and you could always hotseat it I suppose.

FloatOn

12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - $11.99
12/25/2013 to 12/25/2013 Castle of Illusion - $3.75
12/25/2013 to 12/26/2013 DuckTales: Remastered - $5.99

These will be mine. I'm debating lego marvel because I still haven't got around to playing lego lord of the rings yet. I'm also seriously considering Injustice for $20 but I'm hoping steam does something better or offers a better discount than they did for KOF13 over the autumn sale.

Caerith

These will be mine. I'm debating lego marvel because I still haven't got around to playing lego lord of the rings yet. I'm also seriously considering Injustice for $20 but I'm hoping steam does something better or offers a better discount than they did for KOF13 over the autumn sale.

If you still haven't played Lego LOTR, Lego Marvel will be cheaper by the time you get around to playing it.

Arthea

Richard Garfield is the designer responsible for both games (along with Magic: the Gathering, Netrunner, and many others) and while I haven't tried SolForge, it sounds very similar in core mechanics to Spectromancer, which I have played.

No, they have quite a lot more in common than that, and I don't see the appeal in picking up a competitive multiplayer game that nobody plays (excepting proven, timeless classics where it's worth overcoming the steep learning curves that arise from the fact that your opponents are mostly made up of grizzled veterans). If the aspects of SolForge you don't like are the F2P transactions -- and all that entails -- and the card leveling up system, then it makes sense; otherwise, I don't see why you would want Spectromancer if you think that SolForge is crap. Still, it'd be hard for the game not to be worth $2 and you could always hotseat it I suppose.

But that's basically is like saying that all card games are the same, of course they have similar core mechanics, and as my views on Spectromancer and SolForge are based on what I've read, I won't argue, maybe you are right. I still think that cards leveling system makes all difference I need to know, it is a game changer, is it not?

Divius

yep the music is among the best ever ever ever
http://disasterpeace.com/

edit: and the remixes albums are excellent too, particularly Side Z

To go from point A to B you can use a warp to get closer but then yeah you have to platform through the rest of the way. It's one of the main criticisms of the game, I think it's by design and works towards improving the overall experience.
Thanks for link to the OST!

And yeah it gets 'confusing' when I'm in an area with 6/7 doors of which 2 take me other area from where I can go to other areas again, without fully exploring the previous areas.

Arthea

not interested in VR at all (or in 3D, if that matters)
I'm probably alone in this.
I would choose simple fun over immersion or gimmicks any time. Does it make me oldfashioned?

Acccent

I think I'm nearing the end of The Swapper!
As I'm writing this I'm weirded out by the fact that the text isn't upside-down even though it's stuck at the top of the text box, as if gravity was inverted.
It's so cool. (And yeah, as predicted, it only took a day off and coming back to it with a clear mind to complete the puzzle I was stuck on.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom