• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

If you still haven't played Lego LOTR, Lego Marvel will be cheaper by the time you get around to playing it.

That's true. I could put the 12 dollars towards Deadly Premonition like I should have done over the autumn sale. That game has a much higher priority.

Momentary

Banned
As I'm sitting here in a semi-truck container in the freaking cold, I can't help but to stop and think about Metal Gear Rising... Any day now. I hope it hits during the winter sale with a 20% discount. This thought keeps me warm.

Just FYI, Lego Marvel is the buggest Lego game. i know, I have all of them. Its still really good, you just have to put up with a lot. Several times I had to reload a save because an item I need didn't show up or some how fell through the floor and disappeared.

Arthea

Immersion and fun are mutually exclusive? What about fun and good graphics?

Not mutually exclusive, just didn't add to fun that much, if at all, it depends on a game.
Also not mutually exclusive, but have not much in common again, as I remember ASCII Enterprise game being fun, or some text adventure games (><)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
not interested in VR at all (or in 3D, if that matters)
I'm probably alone in this.
I would choose simple fun over immersion or gimmicks any time. Does it make me oldfashioned?
Let's just wait for some old fogey to roll in and say that anything beyond Spacewars being played on a punchcard-powered supercomputer is a gimmick before we crown you king of traditional, hardcore gaming.

Ally1987

I downloaded GTA4 from steam, but it wont play. Is it because I have to have Games for Windows live installed too?

e: nevermind

Arthea

Let's just wait for some old fogey to roll in and say that anything beyond Spacewars being played on a punchcard-powered supercomputer is a gimmick before we crown you king of traditional, hardcore gaming.

I couldn't agree more! (><)
except waiting part

OK, I won't try to rain on your parade, no more VR talk from me.

Turfster

Ball and cup, my young friend, ball and cup.
Now get your hippety hoppety music out of here and let me yell at clouds in peace.
My moving pictures are on.

Monaco will be patched. The read is interesting, and this kind of feedback going bottom-up from the playthroughs of the players to the dev is made easy with Steam.

Interesting read and kudos to the devs for extending the lifetime of their game and fixing things. It does kinda make me sad that they're apparently adapting it for the stupid people. (I mean really, how can you not understand that you can't hide in bushes if someone sees you crawl in there?)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Interesting read and kudos to the devs for extending the lifetime of their game and fixing things. It does kinda make me sad that they're apparently adapting it for the stupid people. (I mean really, how can you not understand that you can't hide in bushes if someone sees you crawl in there?)
AssCreed mentality :p

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
And yeah it gets 'confusing' when I'm in an area with 6/7 doors of which 2 take me other area from where I can go to other areas again, without fully exploring the previous areas.
Yeah, I think a lot of people let themselves get overwhelmed by the number of immediately-available paths before fully grasping the.size of the world (i.e. "not actually that large"). It gets a lot easier to understand and faster to navigate once most of the dead ends are uncovered/solved. I think I'd advise you to go down one path at a time, solving whatever puzzles you can make sense of, until you reach a dead end. Then warp back (there's pretty much always a little gate there) and take a different one.

Phinor

Just FYI, Lego Marvel is the buggest Lego game. i know, I have all of them. Its still really good, you just have to put up with a lot. Several times I had to reload a save because an item I need didn't show up or some how fell through the floor and disappeared.

Seems to be pretty random with bugs. I played through the campaign and encountered zero bugs. Not that I've ever encountered bugs with Lego games, but then I don't 100% them, I just play through the main story.

That is to say, the game is not a bug-ridden mess, but it has some that you might or might not encounter.

I'm really looking forward to the VR/Oculus stuff to hit mainstream. Should be great. And I'm old. I feel like I'm finally getting what I saw in futuristic movies as as kid. :)

Onionkid

So, I don't think anyone grabbed the copy of Zeno Clash from the giveaway I did last night...so here's the modbot code for it if anyone wants to grab it now.

ModBot said:
Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zeno Clash -- MB-8FE5D4DCDF2A5302 - Taken by Darth Kupi

Derrick01

Banned
I spent what felt like a lifetime scanning that Amazon sale list and all I got out of it was Europa Universalis 4 is going to be $10 for 1 day. Fine by me!

I would choose simple fun over immersion or gimmicks any time. Does it make me oldfashioned?

Nope I don't care about it either. It's not focusing on actually making games better, which is what we desperately need. It's focusing on improving immersion, which is what we don't need more of in this industry right now.

dani_dc

5.Rogue Legacy
Fun game with good controls, unfortunately it focus too much on grinding as oppose to skill.

4.Ys I and II Chronicles
Two classic and fun games, amazing ports which are by all means the definitive version of both games, including several versions of the OST.
The games have beautiful art, and while the gameplay is simply, it manages to feel extremely satisfying (which seems like a straple of the series going by the games I played)

3.Volgarr The Viking
A very well designed game, everything flows in terms of design from one segment of the level to the next.
The game gives ull control over the character (though had to change some bindings in the gamepad), between this and the level design I hardly ever felt I died for reasons besides my own fault.

2.The Typing of The Dead: Overkill
A game that came out of nowhere, and which by all means should not have been finished and released, yet it thankfully made it's way to us.
While not as good as the original Typing of the Dead (here's hoping that comes to Steam), the ridiculousness of writing words and sentences to kill enemies is still as fun as it was before.
It's biggest failing is the pacing not being as frantic as the original Typing of the Dead, but that would be attributed to original Overkill pacing which serves as the base for this game.
Including the original "The House of The Dead: Overkill" which is a fun game on it's own adds to it's quality.

1.Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
An excellent Kart game (huge improvement over the original), with interesting tracks and characters, lots of post-release support (here's waiting for the Ryo update) and a pretty lively online.
It's good to finally have a good party-kart game on Steam.

Edit: Was suppose to be a PM, might as well add some text since I've posted this

ChesterCharm

Neo Member
has anybody managed to grab a possible list of what we might see this sale? i remember a guy named "LovingSteam" or whatever and he had magic johnson as his avatar. he somehow managed to retrieve a spoiler list.

I'm personally pretty excited to see how Kinect 2 is used in games as the gen goes along. I've been using Xbox Fitness and you can already tell the responsiveness and accuracy is far beyond that of the first model. It's neat to play the Rivals demo too and have it pick up the closing of your hand and the like. Nothing mindblowing yet, but the potential for great things is there. Just look at Tearaway on the vita which has used some of the vita's quirky features like the rear touchpad to great effect. A smart game just needs to come out.

If nothing else it's a neat supplemental tool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm personally pretty excited to see how Kinect 2 is used in games as the gen goes along. I've been using Xbox Fitness and you can already tell the responsiveness and accuracy is far beyond that of the first model. It's neat to play the Rivals demo too and have it pick up the closing of your hand and the like. Nothing mindblowing yet, but the potential for great things is there. Just look at Tearaway on the vita which has used some of the vita's quirky features like the rear touchpad to great effect. A smart game just needs to come out.

If nothing else it's a neat supplemental tool.

No, you can only view it as a complete replacement for the controller and all games become like Kinect Star Wars.

Whoa, Bully Scholarship edition. Should I buy right now? Less than 4 dollah, or has it gone down to 2.50 before?

Edit: Bought anyways. Enhanced Steam says 3.74 is the lowest it's ever been.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I disagree with your dismissiveness of those technologies, but yeah, you're not alone.
I'm completely uninterested in wearing contacts (...not sure that's even a viable option for someone with vergence issues) which rules out most 3D, and am very doubtful Oculus Rift will have any compensation for vision deficiencies more severe than "easily-correctable with OTC reading glasses" anyway.

I'm aware I'm probably in a pretty small minority though, and that's fine. I've never felt "immersed" in a game anyway. Engaged by, sure. But action titles that use a first-person viewpoint just make me feel like the player character is a CRT monitor being hoisted and jiggled around on a stick. (Disembodied legs and severed hands floating in mid-air optional.)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, Amazon vs Steam Xmas sales! Who wins?

We do. Buying cheap games that register on the Steam service from any store.

Also, this is probably the year that enough people already bought games from the Amazon sale, so everybody will complain about it, like they've been doing on the Steam sales for the past 2 years.

Steam sales are like the Mario Kart games: The one you experienced the first is always the best one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom