• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Continued from previous thread here

Steam is:

wikipedia said:
a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute games and related media online, from small independent developers to larger software houses. Steam also has community features, automated game updates, and in-game voice and chat functionality.

As of 2010, there are over 1,100 games available through Steam.[3] In January 2010 Valve claimed that it had surpassed 25 million active user accounts.[4] Although Valve never releases sales figures, Steam is estimated to have a 70% share of the digital distribution market for video games.[5]

Many major publishers have catalogs on Steam, including Electronic Arts, Activision, 2K Games, Ubisoft, THQ, Sega, Codemasters, id Software, LucasArts, Capcom, Rockstar Games, Square Enix and Bethesda Softworks.

Why does Steam sometimes charge more for packs than individual items?

I just bought CoH for 10 bucks, and noticed the Gold edition charges $29.99 for $24.99 worth of content, it even points that out. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You know what fucking sucks. I just found out I missed Gratuitous Space Battles sale the other day for 5$. I was waiting on that sucker >_>

Boonoo

shintoki said:
You know what fucking sucks. I just found out I missed Gratuitous Space Battles sale the other day for 5$. I was waiting on that sucker >_>

They should let you sign up for email updates about the sales. I've done that with Newegg and it's pretty handy.

zoku88

lastplayed said:
Why does Steam sometimes charge more for packs than individual items?

I just bought CoH for 10 bucks, and noticed the Gold edition charges $29.99 for $24.99 worth of content, it even points that out. :lol
I believe publishers set the prices. And I guess the answer is that they figure that some people won't notice.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Stop taking all my hard earned money Steam! :(

Davidion

Tiger uppercut said:
T-T?!

It's about that time..?*sniff*

alright.

In order to stay on topic, we need to have some GAF Alien swarm games.

Yeah this is kind of annoying; I didn't play much the first few days it was out and then NO ONE on my friend list played it, ever. :lol

Shame the action died down so fast.

Calcaneus

Thankfully I still have a good ratio of "steam games bought" to "steam games played", but man I refuse to buy any new games until I finish off everything I have now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My thanks to LocoMrPollock for the copy of speedball 2 - of course steam servers are too busy for me to download it yet.

Boonoo

Davidion said:
Yeah this is kind of annoying; I didn't play much the first few days it was out and then NO ONE on my friend list played it, ever. :lol

Shame the action died down so fast.

I think trick is that you more or less have to brute force a game going through invites and whatnot. I find myself feeling up for a game now and then, but rarely feel like starting the invite ball rolling.

Speaking of invites is there any common sense of invite courtesy? I used to not send them to anyone that was away or already in a game, but I've since changed my mind.
Now, as far as I'm concerned I'd rather get invites for stuff no matter my current status than miss out on something I might have a hankering for because I'm dicking around in TF2.

Joe Molotov

Got Oblivion and F3 GOTY this weekend. I already have F3, but it's cheaper to buy the GOTY than it is to buy all the DLC.

Omiee

is it to late to get into team fortress 2 cuz im thinking of getting it from steam and playing with some guys from gaf

Davidion

Boonoo said:
I think trick is that you more or less have to brute force a game going through invites and whatnot. I find myself feeling up for a game now and then, but rarely feel like starting the invite ball rolling.

Speaking of invites is there any common sense of invite courtesy? I used to not send them to anyone that was away or already in a game, but I've since changed my mind.
Now, as far as I'm concerned I'd rather get invites for stuff no matter my current status than miss out on something I might have a hankering for because I'm dicking around in TF2.

I actually wish there was some kind of switch for whether or not you're "open for invites". I don't know how people roll on XBL/PSN, but my steam friends list is fucking 200 long, and while I'm obviously not BFF with all of them, I wouldn't mind having an easier way to seeing who's up for some random games.

Omiee said:
is it to late to get into team fortress 2 cuz im thinking of getting it from steam and playing with some guys from gaf

There are games every fucking day and night. It's definitely not too late for Steam Fortress 2

Boonoo

Omiee said:

Still good and fresh. Now's not a bad time to jump in. The furor of the last update has died down and the next won't happen for at least a month and a half, so things are pretty smooth.

It's 10 dollars from Amazon if you don't mind waiting for shipping. You'll still more or less have to download it though since there are so many updates.

Davidion said:
I actually wish there was some kind of switch for whether or not you're "open for invites". I don't know how people roll on XBL/PSN, but my steam friends list is fucking 200 long, and while I'm obviously not BFF with all of them, I wouldn't mind having an easier way to seeing who's up for some random games.

Oh that could be a nice feature. It could just be a little box you flag.

It would be neat to have a dynamic friends list that would rearange itself based on who was up for invites and what game you were playing, so you could jump into L4D2 and everyone that had the game and had hit the invite box would jump to the top of the list.

Aon

Picked up the Quake pack and was really surprised by Quake 2. Having played Doom 1 + 2 and Quake I was surprised by the game's (admittedly minor) emphasis on world building and atmosphere by comparison.

Davidion

Boonoo said:
Oh that could be a nice feature. It could just be a little box you flag.

It would be neat to have a dynamic friends list that would rearange itself based on who was up for invites and what game you were playing, so you could jump into L4D2 and everyone that had the game and had hit the invite box would jump to the top of the list.

Seriously, I'm thinking there needs to be a little more depth to the friend list management system; it'd sure be nice.

66w5ev.png

;_;

Oreoleo

*subscribing to new thread*

you know what was awesome? getting all those quake games for $7.49 yesterday yessir.

Boonoo said:

It's not like this is 2001 and we're all on AIM setting away messages when we get up to pee for 2 minutes. Sometimes I'll leave my status set as away for days when really I'm at the PC all the time, or I'll be gone for the weekend and forget to set myself as away. But when I'm in a game it's generally because, you know, I WANT to play it, so getting an invite to something else while I'm mid-game is painfully annoying. Like you noted though, playing TF2 is about the only exception to that.

Add me as another person who wants to get into TF2. Where does one start exactly?

I've messed around in 2Fort for a bit doing CTF but it seems like just an excuse to play team deathmatch and I was scolded for ending the round by - you know, achieving the objective.

Oreoleo

toasty_T said:
Add me as another person who wants to get into TF2. Where does one start exactly?

I've messed around in 2Fort for a bit doing CTF but it seems like just an excuse to play team deathmatch and I was scolded for ending the round by - you know, achieving the objective.

GAF Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015
Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

(Can't go wrong with Payload maps, specifically Goldrush and Badwater Basin)

Boonoo

Orellio said:
GAF Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015
Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

(Can't go wrong with Payload maps, specifically Goldrush and Badwater Basin)

Yeah, the trick is to find stable servers that work towards objectives. The GAF server is nice, so are the sourceop ones. The best thing you can do is find a nice stable 24man. Also, jump over to the TF2 thread in online; there are plenty of people that post over there that will give advice.

I definitely bought the QuakeCon pack even though I don't have a PC to play any of it on yet (I know I'm getting one soon though and couldn't pass the deal).

I will now have purchased every version of Fallout 3 (and will likely play them all for months longer (or at least until I get New Vegas). I got Fallout 3 on PS3 first, then when they announced the DLC on 360 I traded up for the 360 version. Then got all the DLC. Then the GOTY edition came out and I got it on PS3 again bc it was $15 at the time and I'm a little fallout crazy. Now the QuakeCon pack comes with GOTY edition for PC... :) There's never enough Fallout 3. I still find little things in the game that I've either passed by without noticing or just all new things. I would have all the achievements in the 360 version but because of a LIVE outage and new patch when it came back, my Broken Steel achievements were wiped. I'm whoring up the PS3 version for trophies right now.

I'm excited to have all of these games on my new PC whenever I get it too. As for my macbook, I love steam for Orange Box, Counter Strike, and Plants vs Zombies (and bringing Macs back into the gaming community in general).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom