• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
CecilRousso said:
You know that Steam is great when you pass on deals like this for Borderlands. You can´t buy em all. :D

At the very least, it'll be just as cheap if not cheaper during Christmas when they have something like a 2K sale for a day.

Nabs

MNC said:
I definitely am, but the price is far too steep. The game has to be fucking awesome though, hope alot of people buy it so online will be a bit populated.
the 4 pack makes it real sweet, here at least. $15 a piece for a new worms game? people are still playing W:A online.

lastplayed said:
Holy crap, finally! I've been holding out for this. Any idea how long it'll last?

no way!!! i knew i held off on the expansions just for this!!! the expansions have steam achievments now too right?

Are all the packs worth it? i heard the mad moxxi one isnt. Are the other two? or should I just get the 3rd one. Thats the only one i heard good things about.

Sciz

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Are all the packs worth it? i heard the mad moxxi one isnt. Are the other two? or should I just get the 3rd one. Thats the only one i heard good things about.
Zombie Island is good fun and well worth the 3-ish bucks just to enjoy the ride, even though it doesn't really add anything in terms of character progression.

Moxxi is...eh. The bank is nice, and the skill points are nice, but it gets old very fast. It has some good ideas, but the execution just isn't there.

Knoxx is amazing and should absolutely be your first choice if you only get one. The only downside is that Gearbox didn't bother scaling the rest of the world (Moxxi aside) up to 61 to match the new level cap, so the base game and Zombie Island become completely irrelevant to a character who's been through it. It's assumed that there will be a 1.4 patch alongside the next DLC that will finally address this (and some of the other lingering bugs).

Carm

TrAcEr_x90 said:

The only suspect DLC out of the 3 is Moxxi and the bank is worth paying 3.39. The arena is not that fun solo though, I couldn't stomach going through all the waves for 2 skill points.

Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is the best out of the bunch, but it's on the easy side.

Secret Armory of General Knoxx is fun, but is dragged down by way to much driving on barren highways to get between objectives.

All of them are worth the 3.39 each price atm, I wouldn't hesitate.

clav

Thinking about it, but mmm. It seems like a fun game if you have friends to play.

I haven't played borderlands.

Red

Phife Dawg said:
All settings? Draw distance etc.? What kind of rig do you have? I can run Cryostasis fine but GTAIV chugs at highest settings - 5850 and AMD quad 3.4 here.
Draw distance at 80. Everything else at very high except for shadows at high (night shadows still very high). 5870 + 4 GHz i7 920. It's not a rock solid 60fps all the time, probably closer to 85% of the time. But point stands, Cryostasis gives me motion sickness because of the choppy frame rate. Almost unplayable for me.

epmode

Galanthas said:
The only suspect DLC out of the 3 is Moxxi and the bank is worth paying 3.39. The arena is not that fun solo though, I couldn't stomach going through all the waves for 2 skill points.
"Not that fun" = understatement of the year.

I tried it myself. Got to the boss thinking "this isn't so bad"... Then I realized that I had to do it fourteen more times.

Those two skill points can kill themselves for all I care. Never again.

~Kinggi~

Banned
aww damn, Boderlands is pretty cheap and the temptation is strong, but i got Sacred 2 coming in the mail tomorrow and that should fulfill all my loot-whoring needs until Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3.

Its funny wanted Dr Ned but dont really have the money, that is until I read about this sale, downloading it now lol. I love steam, its like the girlfriend I'll never have, :lol

I'm down to join a 4 pack. I can't be the buyer as I'm a victim of regional price discrimination.

If anyone is in need of an extra let me know.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
was hoping someone could help me since i know there are a lot of macers following this thread now:

my bro has a 21.5 imac "with the better gfx card." how exactly would he go about getting his rig to run civ v when it comes out? (if that's possible). could he buy it off steam and yet still run it on his computer using boot camp? (only know the name, nothing beyond that)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Stupid question: is there a Steam newsletter I could sign up for so I can know about all these sales or do I just need to check Steam/GAF daily myself?

Volcynika

Pankaks said:
Stupid question: is there a Steam newsletter I could sign up for so I can know about all these sales or do I just need to check Steam/GAF daily myself?

There is no newsletter of any sort. They have a facebook/twitter/etc, I think, if that would help.

Last two days I've bought DA ($30), ME2 ($30) and now Borderlands ($10). Should fill the time nicely for a while. I almost caved on the $25 Fallout 3 GOTY over the weekend but I'll just wait for New Vegas at this point.

Psy-Phi

epmode said:
"Not that fun" = understatement of the year.

I tried it myself. Got to the boss thinking "this isn't so bad"... Then I realized that I had to do it fourteen more times.

Those two skill points can kill themselves for all I care. Never again.
Idea: get some friends with Borderlands!

It's amazingly fun. Best DLC in the bunch because it's the least boring. And it's the only one that will still challenge you and your friends once you start climbing past 55 and even the Armory taps out in challenge because of the level caps on the enemies.

Knoxx is good of course, but too much driving, and no teleports make for some mind numbing periods of near insanity.

Zombie Island's good for it's comic references and more of the same of Borderlands but it's not at all challenging.

Moxxi's theme music is great, and it's always a blast shooting what ever she throws at you. What's missing from Moxxi is loot worth your time. It's so rare to get a worthwhile gun from Moxxi, but my favorite Rifle for months came from there. Still, it's the ONLY good weapon I or my 2 friends have seen from the place.

There will be an OSX version of Supreme Command 2 and here are the requirements:

Virtual Programming Supreme Commander 2 system requirements and pricing:

Mac OS 10.6.3 or higher, 2.2GHz Intel CPU, 1GB RAM, 256MB video RAM (GeForce 8600, Radeon 2400HD or newer, 5GB Hard Disk space, Internet connection, Steam for Mac (for LAN play; yes, that gives you the PC version for free too)

Pricing: £29.94 €39.95 $39.95

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Virtual-Programming/106865022687514

Despite being a Steamworks title, the OSX version will not be sold in the Steam store and those who already own the title for the PC will not get a free OSX version. If you buy the OSX version though, you'll register it on Steam and will get a free PC version.

Just got word back from Brad Cook of Virtual Programming to clear up some misconceptions about the game and Steam. Cook says, “Actually, it won’t be on Steam for Mac. Players will receive a Steam code so they can play over a LAN against others. That code will also give them access to the PC version. But they will initially buy the game from us, through Deliver2Mac or other service.”

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=19145

Looks like Valve will have to drop the requirement that titles must be Steamplay.

Crunched said:
Draw distance at 80. Everything else at very high except for shadows at high (night shadows still very high). 5870 + 4 GHz i7 920. It's not a rock solid 60fps all the time, probably closer to 85% of the time. But point stands, Cryostasis gives me motion sickness because of the choppy frame rate. Almost unplayable for me.
Yeah, draw distance makes quite a difference for me as well. Still, Cryostasis doesn't chug on my rig, which is comparable to yours - and I'm pretty anal about framerates. Motion sickness can also be due to the very small fov (which I haven't found a way of upping).

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
Despite being a Steamworks title, the OSX version will not be sold in the Steam store and those who already own the title for the PC will not get a free OSX version. If you buy the OSX version though, you'll register it on Steam and will get a free PC version.

WTF.gif

AcridMeat said:
Has anyone heard of/tried Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood? It's 50% off right now but I have never heard anything mentioned about it.

I said this about it earlier:

Played it for 10 minutes and never went back. I got it for some silly price, maybe I'll try it again one day... Yeah.

LocoMrPollock said it's a turd :lol Did a search for a PC demo but it kept throwing up Mac demo results as it's just been released for the Apple massive.

Question about steam: My brother and I both have steam accounts and each account has different sets of games in two different PC. Is it possible that I access my brother's account and play games that he owns, since he certainly won't be logged in at the same time as me?

I want to play TF2 from his account since he doesn't play it at all (he bought the Valve pack for L4D/HL)... :/

Luigi87

shagg_187 said:
Question about steam: My brother and I both have steam accounts and each account has different sets of games in two different PC. Is it possible that I access my brother's account and play games that he owns, since he certainly won't be logged in at the same time as me?

I want to play TF2 from his account since he doesn't play it at all (he bought the Valve pack for L4D/HL)... :/

Yes, you may access any Steam account on any PC and download and play while logged in (one of the best features about Steam), as long as there is only one person logged into the account at a time.

AcridMeat

Banned
MmmSkyscraper said:
I said this about it earlier:

LocoMrPollock said it's a turd :lol Did a search for a PC demo but it kept throwing up Mac demo results as it's just been released for the Apple massive.

Wow I failed to find that in the thread, sorry! Thanks though, saved me $2.50.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Age of Wonders Trilogy will soon be available through several digital distribution services.

Man I played the crap out of AoW back in the day. I really enjoyed it, but for some reason it always slips my mind when I'm thinking of my favorite strat / RPG games.

Is that upcoming Stardock game the logical sucessor to this game? I don't think I feel like going back to AoW but just remembering it does make me kinda hanker for that some type of game in a more modern package.

epmode

TheFightingFish said:
Is that upcoming Stardock game the logical sucessor to this game? I don't think I feel like going back to AoW but just remembering it does make me kinda hanker for that some type of game in a more modern package.
Elemental is mostly inspired by Master of Magic. Age of Wonders - Shadow Magic is very similar to that so I guess you could consider it a logical successor.

klez

I'm down for a borderlands 4 pack if anyone's interested. I can even start the 4 pack (in Canada) if needed.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Brink is up for pre-order.

I really want Brink, but...

[url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-brink-hands-on?page=2]Eurogamer[/url] said:
QuakeCon also sees Splash Damage unveil pre-order incentives for the US market - and we're told to expect these in Europe too, in some form. Each package gives you a special weapon and unique clothing items, and while the Psycho and Spec Ops bundles look good we expect the Fallout and DOOM packs (complete with Vault 101 tattoos, UAC body armour t-shirts and the like) to prove most popular.

Think I'm going to be buying retail and entering CDKey into Steam instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom