• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Cdammen said:
Bought F.E.A.R. and I'm installing it... it's 17GB (expansion seem to be a mandatory install)! Goddamn!

yeah, i was surprised by this :/

i have so many games that are 15gb+ right now..

Oreoleo

Cdammen said:
Thanks for the warning. I just wanted to see it run on my new rig. Last time I played it was back in 2005 and it ate a lot of system resources.

You will be pleased. Game has aged very well.

BrettWeir

So my wife bought me Oblivion: GOTY Deluxe for Xmas on Steam. After seeing a few videos of modded Oblivion, I set out to attempt to get the game looking as good as the videos I have seen...

Holy hell in a handbasket. I've spent countless hours searching on modding this thing, and it's all a convoluted mess. So many different tutorials, most of which contain dead links. I've gone through the OBMM and made omod's for OOO, Illumination Within, Reneer's Guard Overhaul, and attempted the unofficial patch......none of which work, even though they are activated correctly in OBMM.

What a PITA.

Rur0ni

BrettWeir said:
So my wife bought me Oblivion: GOTY Deluxe for Xmas on Steam. After seeing a few videos of modded Oblivion, I set out to attempt to get the game looking as good as the videos I have seen...

Holy hell in a handbasket. I've spent countless hours searching on modding this thing, and it's all a convoluted mess. So many different tutorials, most of which contain dead links. I've gone through the OBMM and made omod's for OOO, Illumination Within, Reneer's Guard Overhaul, and attempted the unofficial patch......none of which work, even though they are activated correctly in OBMM.

What a PITA.
Pretty much why I haven't screwed with it. Needs a all-in-one hands down best kind of deal, like Stalker Complete.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hmm, I was just wondering in the other thread what happens in Steam on a game like Crysis, where you are allowed 5 activations, and that's it.

Say over the course of 5 years, you use them all, and now the game says you've run out of activations, screw you, I'm not loading.

You can't actually rebuy it right, since Steam will just say you already own it? The DRM is essentially then banning you for all eternity on your account from the game? Or is there a loophole besides using a crack.

Minsc

Gold Member
BrettWeir said:

What a PITA.

Maybe just try Nehrim? Or just settle for OOO with nothing else if it's too complicated. I think I spent like 20 hours modding my Oblivion with like 100 mods with FCOM and got it all working, but I can't figure out how to do it again successfully, it is a huge pain even for me.

Nehrim requires a vanilla game with no mods, and no mods can be used with it, so it may be more up your alley.

Dave Long

Banned
BrettWeir said:

What a PITA.
Try this. Jason McCullough did a pretty thorough job putting together a pack that should do it all in one. He's the man.

http://www.hronk.com/jmromp/Readme.html

I haven't tried it myself yet, but plan to this year.

Danj

Is there a way to do the Steam gifting thing from other regions using some other money service than Paypal? I've tried to ask this in the gifting thread and the sale thread but both are spammed to death right now so nobody saw my question.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dave Long said:
Try this. Jason McCullough did a pretty thorough job putting together a pack that should do it all in one. He's the man.

Bah, it's missing OOO/FCOM/Frans/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc... all the really good stuff. Probably everything is out of date too, got excited for a second.

I'd like to see someone make a 100-mod FCOM auto-all-in-one-installer that is updated at least twice a year.

Edit: It actually had MMM, still not impressed, also uses AF Leveling, boo

Shaneus

graywolf323 said:
as I actually meant to post this here >_>

screw you Bioware

Dragon Age II Signature Edition will NOT be on Steam

nvm it's everywhere else (Impulse, D2D, GamersGate, EA's own store, all the retail stores that take preorders) but not Steam I mean why would they bring it to the biggest digital service?

so now I won't be buying the game until the next holiday sale :lol
Is it being published by EA? Then be patient. NFS:HP was "never" going to appear on Steam either :lol

Narag

Minsc said:
Hmm, I was just wondering in the other thread what happens in Steam on a game like Crysis, where you are allowed 5 activations, and that's it.

Say over the course of 5 years, you use them all, and now the game says you've run out of activations, screw you, I'm not loading.

You can't actually rebuy it right, since Steam will just say you already own it? The DRM is essentially then banning you for all eternity on your account from the game? Or is there a loophole besides using a crack.

http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ ?

Well, maybe that doesnt' apply to the original Crysis. Interesting reading on the forums.

Ledsen

BrettWeir said:

What a PITA.

Check out my tutorial and help thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405321

Dave Long said:

That pack has way too many mods and is bound to contain at least a few mods that any person using it won't want. Also it's missing some of the most famous ones and has some really odd choices like the AF level mod. Don't get me wrong, it's a great effort on his part, but I feel that any person starting out modding should just get a few very basic mods and then go looking for others that suit his/her tastes instead of just copying someone else's list.

BrettWeir

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I just got out of work, so will look into all of them when I get home.

Greatly appreciated.

amrod

My 1TB has 100gb free (its only got steam on it and nothing else)... all 369 games (and probably more soon... damn sales)

Can I get steam to read off multi Drives?

Basically get it to read off...

E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common
F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

Is this possible?

Dave Long

Banned
The thing about McCullough's pack is it's pretty easy to install and it's tested and known to work. IF you want to hang out and play mod games all day, be my guest. I'd prefer not to spend my time figuring out the order to install stuff in.

graywolf323

Shaneus said:
Is it being published by EA? Then be patient. NFS:HP was "never" going to appear on Steam either :lol

yeah but we won't get the Signature Edition with $20 worth of free stuff since that deal ends on January 11th

ty_hot

Anyone want to gift me the US Crysis Pack? I pay with paypal ;)
I'm not paying the U$15 they want frm my region instead of U$10 that the americans pay.

Ledsen

Dave Long said:
The thing about McCullough's pack is it's pretty easy to install and it's tested and known to work. IF you want to hang out and play mod games all day, be my guest. I'd prefer not to spend my time figuring out the order to install stuff in.

Yeah, but you're probably not going to have as good an experience as someone who takes a few hours to learn a little. Like I said, there are many mods that you probably don't want, and others that are missing that are extremely good and that most people use. Making a mod list for others to install indiscriminately if almost futile since there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of them, and a lot of them are very good/useful to many people.

Sir Garbageman said:
Currently having this debate with myself. I wonder if EA will pull the same move with ME3.

The PC version will just crash all the time anyway. Consoles all the way when it comes to Dragon Age. (not sure how stable Mass Effect is on PC)

Team Vernia said:
The PC version will just crash all the time anyway. Consoles all the way when it comes to Dragon Age. (not sure how stable Mass Effect is on PC)
You must be joking, the PC version of Dragon Age absolutely destroys the console version.

Dynoro

darkpaladinmfc said:
You must be joking, the PC version of Dragon Age absolutely destroys the console version.
I assume it is joking as the PC version is in an entirely different league to the console version (and I haven't heard of persistent crashing issues on the PC either - I know I played my version fine)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I bought the Crysis pack on Steam, I mean, it was just 5 euros! So any recommendations for it? Custom configs? I'd like to get some more framerate out of the sucker. Rarely dips below 30 with everything set to High but during cutscenes it likes to dip lower for some reason.

Any particular CPU heavy settings I could lower to make it more stable? I'm only running on a dual core yeah. Also, is DX9 mode better performance wise at all if you enable all the special "DX10 features" in a DX9 config? :D

darkpaladinmfc said:
Agreed. I haven't had a single crash in Dragon Age, and that's with and without mods. The PC version is FAR superior, hands fucking down.

Easy_D said:
So I bought the Crysis pack on Steam, I mean, it was just 5 euros! So any recommendations for it? Custom configs? I'd like to get some more framerate out of the sucker. Rarely dips below 30 with everything set to High but during cutscenes it likes to dip lower for some reason.

Any particular CPU heavy settings I could lower to make it more stable? I'm only running on a dual core yeah. Also, is DX9 mode better performance wise at all if you enable all the special "DX10 features" in a DX9 config? :D

CCC config
HP config
cant exactly remember the name-maybe extreme config? or maybe it was natural mod.

HP is probably the best all-around. Use CCC for a combination of performance and looks. Has several levels of option (1 through 5) for you to find the looks/performance you want.

Crysis and Crysis Warhead only use 2 cores max. The games are very GPU bound.

DX9 will give much improved performance. It would be impossible to try to guess at how it will run with those configs and mods that enable DX10 features.

Ledsen

AnEternalEnigma said:
Oh okay. I wasn't aware there was a separate thread.

Did you really think that there would've been no new posts since three hours before today's deals if this was the thread used for it :lol That things moves at like 100 posts/10 minutes.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dave Long said:

The AF Leveling mod in that mix is enough to let me know I'll never recommend that pack to a single person (let alone lack of Fran's / OOO)... I really hated AF Leveling. I'd much rather suggest only running with OOO and nothing else or trying that Nehrim all-in-one total conversion if someone can't handpick the four or five mods that interest them most without going for 100 and messing it all up.

eznark

Banned
Anyone know how to fix this? I just moved my steam library over to a new, larger hard drive, but this is now what it looks like:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom