• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

coopolon said:
EA games get constantly discounted on Origin too. In fact, they get discounted earlier, faster, and more significantly than Valve games on Steam (based on Portal 2, I can't really remember how quickly L4D2 went on sale.)

I don't think buying physical copies is really any better. You can back up your downloads off of Origin, burn it to a disc, and you've backed it up just as well as a physical copy. Of course if you like the 2 page manual or box or something that's different. In terms of non-Steam EA games, I just buy wherever's cheaper whether it is Impulse, D2D, retail, or Origin.

Um, Valve has never priced a game over 49.99. And there's always the 10 percent pre-order bonus. EA has to go 25% percent off before they even match the day 0 orders of Valve games. Has Crysis 2 gotten even that, yet?

nexen

Gvaz said:
I guess I'm wrong, but I'd never agree to that ruling. If I went to jail for it, so be it. But I'm not abiding by that ruling ever.
Won't change the fact that you'd be breaking the law. While that wouldn't have bothered me much when I was younger now that I have lots of neat stuff I can lose it bothers me plenty.

PaulLFC

Gvaz said:
EA pulled a shitty sequel off steam? Don't care. Might force users to use origin? Mild annoyance.

*EA terms*

This however, Fuck you EA. Not buying anything on Origin till this is fixed.

Wow. I know not using an account for 2 years is rare, but if for some reason I did this, and I had "entitlements" that I'd bought, I would be seriously pissed off if they removed them because I'm no longer "entitled" to them. Hey EA, you've got your money, you can't take away purchases. That kind of stuff should be illegal, even if they do try the "it's in the TOS" excuse.

nexen

SalsaShark said:
starting to think they just ran out of keys
Yeah, it makes no sense to pull Crysis 2 as an F-U to Steam and leave the rest of the catalogue up. It would've made some good internet drama though so a little part of me is disappointed.

Shambles

nexen said:

A federal court did so in 2008, but Autodesk appealed, and today the appeals court reversed that earlier decision. In its view, US "first sale" protections don't apply to Vernor, because he didn't buy the software from a legitimate "owner." That, in turn, is because the architecture firm had only "licensed" the software, and that license could indeed allow a software company to prevent resale, lending, and even removal from the Western Hemisphere.

Not that it's any less bullshit, but it's not a defacto standard. Of course this is the government that allows companies to own DNA and life forms so don't put too much faith into them. Keep in mind most people in these forums are from countries with legal systems that do make sense from time to time, which means that for most of us EULA's still mean absolutely nothing.

coopolon

1-D_FTW said:
Um, Valve has never priced a game over 49.99. And there's always the 10 percent pre-order bonus. EA has to go 25% percent off before they even match the day 0 orders of Valve games. Has Crysis 2 gotten even that, yet?

I believe I got Crysis 2 for $19.99 from EADM. EA does not offer as good of preorder bonuses as Valve does for sure though, although I'm not interested in $5 off, I'm interested in $30 off so that's not as big a deal for me.

EA definitely has a worse sales mechanism though. Their best sales are normally the ones they promote on facebook for like 3 hours or something after 1000 likes. Very annoying, but good deals.

The Broken Ska Record said:
How many times has Steam run out of keys for something?

Way more often than it should. I personally have had it happen to me three times...after having bought the game. I blame the developer/publishers for being so slow to respond, and Vavle for not informing their customers they're actually selling copies of games they don't have.

nexen

Shambles said:
Not that it's any less bullshit, but it's not a defacto standard. Of course this is the government that allows companies to own DNA and life forms so don't put too much faith into them. Keep in mind most people in these forums are from countries with legal systems that do make sense from time to time, which means that for most of us EULA's still mean absolutely nothing.
Yeah, I'm specifically talking about the US because that is all I know. If I forget to add qualifiers please forgive the dirty 'merican over here. ;)

IANAL but that sets a pretty strong precendent. It is the ninth circuit court of appeals after all. Doctrine of first sale is a pretty solid thing to blow a hole in too. When we're talking about subscriptions and licensing of downloaded software well I think we're boned. There is going to have to be a major DRM meltdown and public outcry to change the setup. I'm betting on one within the next 10 years, personally. Popcorn at the ready.

Gvaz

Banned
nexen said:
Won't change the fact that you'd be breaking the law. While that wouldn't have bothered me much when I was younger now that I have lots of neat stuff I can lose it bothers me plenty.
I would just get them one way or another if they took it away from me or whatever.

If I really needed that software but couldn't afford it normally, why not get it used? Everyone profits because you'd end up buying stuff from them later once you get whatever you're doing off the ground that requires such programs.

Xamdou

jling84 said:
Wait really?? Does this mean the summer sale will start earlier this year??

Last year it started from June 24th until July 4th. Their giving themselves ten days to get ready for the onslaught that is the steam summer sale :)

Echoplx

SalsaShark said:
people need to shut up about the summer sale already, you'll know when it hits

Instead we can ramble on about a bunch of stupid crap all because one game disappeared from the store!

We'll be bringing Steam down for routine maintenance tomorrow (June 14) at 4:00PM PDT (GMT-7). Chat, game lobbies, and the community web site will be affected. Content downloads and game play should not be affected. There is a small amount of database maintenance scheduled for this update, but the downtime is expected to be minimal.
Aw man! Database maintenance! Somebody better scrape the new bundles they're putting up.

In other discussion, I got this magical horse game in an indie pack during the winter sale. Has anybody actually played it? I guess I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were actually decent.

Xamdou said:
Last year it started from June 24th until July 4th. Their giving themselves ten days to get ready for the onslaught that is the steam summer sale :)

As a newb to steam (have only dl'd witcher 1 so far), I'm hoping this thing lives up to all the hype you guys and gals are giving it.

I'm hoping for good news on Portal 2, Bulletstorm and Witcher 2.

Salsa

oh relax LocoMrPollock, i was making a joke. You kinda took the whole Valve/EA discussion in a wrong way.

Team Fortress 2 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Added the Spiral Knights promotional hat

F2P games a success confirmed

SalsaShark said:
oh relax LocoMrPollock, i was making a joke. You kinda took the whole Valve/EA discussion in a wrong way.

F2P games a success confirmed

Oh, I'm cool. It didn't really seem like you were joking, though. But no biggie.

Salsa

LocoMrPollock said:
Oh, I'm cool. It didn't really seem like you were joking, though. But no biggie.

its just that i keep seeing the same question asking when its supposed to start. We should make a thread for it or just put the info on this thread title. The dates of last year i mean, for reference.

coopolon

SalsaShark said:
its just that i keep seeing the same question asking when its supposed to start. We should make a thread for it or just put the info on this thread title. The dates of last year i mean, for reference.

It'd be hilarious if we made an OT and it never happened.

1-D_FTW

3chopl0x said:
Instead we can ramble on about a bunch of stupid crap all because one game disappeared from the store!

Not really. They've clearly pulled it after seeing the other thread. And this is just the next step in their escalating war. Pft. Whatever. John seems to be running them off a cliff and it looks like garbage central for the foreseeable future. So as long as I can snag a decent deal on Dead Space 2 and Bullestorm, looks like I've got everything I need for a while. BF3 I've been resigned to, so not really surprised. Maybe it'll suck and I can avoid giving them anything for it.

Jomjom

Banned
SalsaShark said:
people need to shut up about the summer sale already, you'll know when it hits

Sorry if you're jaded, but this is going to be my first major Steam sale. So excuuuuuuuuuuuse me if I'm excited. excusemeprincess.jpg

I just found out you can play games on the PC through this thing called Steam. But somebody in another thread said not to buy anything until the summer sale. Then I saw this thread.

So when does this summer sale start?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MacGurcules said:
I just found out you can play games on the PC through this thing called Steam. But somebody in another thread said not to buy anything until the summer sale. Then I saw this thread.

So when does this summer sale start?

No one knows, they don't give prior advance notice, last year it was the end of June / beginning of July.

iNvid02

this is the first time im gonna be around for the steam sale, out of interest how much do you guys end up spending during the sale?

Narag

iNvidious01 said:
this is the first time im gonna be around for the steam sale, out of interest how much do you guys end up spending during the sale?

Used to be $100-150sh on a ton of stuff. Shooting for less than $40 this time around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom