• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
A new Steam group was started by Valve, the moderators of the SPUF, and members of TripWire Interactive for users to help other users with technical support if they need a quick answer: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/LiveChat
f32c8ba3fee55e2b1a256cd45d54f41ee52308f8_full.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
markot said:
Really wish more double fine stuff was on PC >_< stupid publishers...
That is both great and a shame that it only happened now.

I already bought Psychonauts for 5 bucks on a early sale. Now I wonder if they ever got my money...

nexen

drizzle said:
That is both great and a shame that it only happened now.

I already bought Psychonauts for 5 bucks on a early sale. Now I wonder if they ever got my money...
If you want to support them further just make sure to buy all their other PC titles through Steam. Oh wait.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Atilac said:
EA also pulled all possibilities of me buying it if thats true

Ha, same here. It's probably the sale I was most looking forward to during the next bonanza, but maybe that's not gonna happen. If this is the case, I'll just wait till it's super cheap on Amazon or D2D if they still have it, whatever it takes to give EA as little money as possible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hahahaha. I hope it goes Origin exclusive. I also hope they like remove it from my account or some other bullshit.

That or at least they could cockblock me from future patches.

Volcynika

If they're pulling it to just have it available on Origin (is it still available on any other DD stores?), I guess it doesn't bode well to see Alice on Steam. D:

Blizzard

Banned
Snuggler said:
Ha, same here. It's probably the sale I was most looking forward to during the next bonanza, but maybe that's not gonna happen. If this is the case, I'll just wait till it's super cheap on Amazon or D2D if they still have it, whatever it takes to give EA as little money as possible.
If EA goes exclusive on their own store, I might not even buy anything else from them aside from maybe Crysis 2 (would have to be cheap), maybe BF3 at some point (probably on sale?), and Mirror's Edgier (obviously I can't resist this).

It's weird because I would surely think they would make MORE money from having it available on Steam as well, but maybe EA knows something I don't (or maybe Crysis 2 was just because of the keys).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blizzard said:
If EA goes exclusive on their own store, I might not even buy anything else from them aside from maybe Crysis 2 (would have to be cheap), maybe BF3 at some point (probably on sale?), and Mirror's Edgier (obviously I can't resist this).

Yeah, that's the problem. On one hand, I hate their guts and don't want to give them my money, but on the other hand they make games I like. I mean, I can't pass on Mass Effect 3, but if it's gonna be Origins exclusive I'm gonna have to deal with a major dilemma.

I checked and Crysis 2 is still on other DD sites, so who knows. Maybe it's all gonna be OK in the end, but it's EA, I expect the worst from them.

confused

Banned
It's totally gone. The only mention of it's existance is in my wishlist.

crimsonheadGCN said:
We'll find out in a few days. It could be lack of keys that caused them to pull it.

Nah, we've seen that happen before. All they do is give you a warning in the purchase box that says something like : We are currently out of keys for the item and are working hard with the publisher at resolving this issue. You can purchase this game and as soon as we have the keys you'll be able to play.

I´m not counting EA games as interesting anymore. There are far to many other great games being developed by developers and publishers who actually cares about their customer. Battlefield 3 is "Meh!" from now on. Let them sell their games to those who doesn´t care if they are being screwed by the men in ties.

Zimbardo

EA is my favorite publisher. they might do things that piss me off at times, but they have by far the most games that i'm interested in.

i bought Crysis 2 off Direct2Drive and have it registered on Origin, so i'm already there ...but i can't see them pulling this for good from Steam. there's probably just some kind of error.

EA loves money, and there's too much to be made from Steam.

coopolon

What a strange thing to do. Hopefully it'll come back, despite all its flaws it's a game that's definitely worth playing, especially at heavily discounted prices (<$20).

Salsa

Probably keys. EA doesnt LOSE anything by having their games on Steam. Even less so when they make them more expensive than everywhere else.

Just put some 20 percent discount on the Origin version and leave the Steam one at 60 dollars or something.

Blizzard

Banned
Snuggler said:
Yeah, that's the problem. On one hand, I hate their guts and don't want to give them my money, but on the other hand they make games I like. I mean, I can't pass on Mass Effect 3, but if it's gonna be Origins exclusive I'm gonna have to deal with a major dilemma.

I checked and Crysis 2 is still on other DD sites, so who knows. Maybe it's all gonna be OK in the end, but it's EA, I expect the worst from them.
Good point, I'd probably get Mass Effect 3 eventually as well. I haven't played the first two yet though, so I have plenty of time to wait for a sale.

*edit* I highly doubt they would ever actually remove the games from Steam accounts, though. Even games like Simplz Zoo that got removed from the Steam store still stay on people's accounts and can still be downloaded from Steam, I'm pretty sure.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
confused said:
And yet Darkspore is the midweek sale. Doesn't really make sense.
Contractual obligations.

Let's say they do go Origin only or just remove Steam from their list. Everything else is still up on D2D and GG. Don't you think making a bunch of exceptions already hurts whatever stance you're trying to make?

Similar to not allowing pre-orders, its another power play on their part to either get "Special" exceptions or to limit Steam's ever growing service. That is of course based on this being an intentional dropping and not a fluke.

If the people behind the Origin initiative, or whoever it is that's calling the shots at EA, had two brain cells to rub together they would not take a hostile attitude towards Steam, they would not be offering content later, they would not be excluding customers from certain pre-order bonuses. The only thing this antagonism achieves is hurting their potential customers and alienating existing ones.

If the people behind Origin were smart content would be day and date on ALL DD services, but the best deals would be on Origin. If they were smart they would use ALL DD services to sell their games, which are a trojan for Origin. By ignoring Steam and its customers, they only limit themselves. Microsoft has sort of figured this out.

Zimbardo and others you might want to read the Origin TOS, good stuff in there good stuff.
Among much much more:

" If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use"

These people just don't get it, if this happens and there's no more EA on steam, EA is completely dead to me, I'd also hope other people will not buy EA stuff as well.

Yeah, I'm talking to another Gaffer, it seems Spiral Knights is broken. He can't start session anymore and it also closes when changing resolution.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Steam is a store, why would you pull product from a store because you're starting your own?

I don't understand? Retailers pull far more of their profits then Steam, does that mean EA isn't going to distribute through Best Buy and Gamestop anymore?

coopolon

scorpscarx said:
Zimbardo and others you might want to read the Origin TOS, good stuff in there good stuff.
Among much much more:

" If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use"

These people just don't get it, if this happens and there's no more EA on steam, EA is completely dead to me, I'd also hope other people will not buy EA stuff as well.

With pretty much all of the digital distribution platforms the platform holder can terminate your access at any time for any reason and you have already signed away any right to dispute such termination legally except in states where you're not allowed to sign away that right. This is certainly true of Steam as well.

In regard to your last point about how other people shouldn't buy EA games any more either, I disagree. As long as they keep making good games and selling them for cheap without invasive DRM, I'll keep buying them.

Blizzard

Banned
coopolon said:
With pretty much all of the digital distribution platforms the platform holder can terminate your access at any time for any reason and you have already signed away any right to dispute such termination legally except in states where you're not allowed to sign away that right. This is certainly true of Steam as well.
Yeah, but Steam doesn't EXPLICITLY SAY they may terminate your account if it's not active. EA has always danced around stuff like that, haven't they? I thought their EA download stuff used to expire, but they changed their policy on that.

coopolon said:

Right, but with Steam and BLizzard, only thing that would cancel your account would be The Flood.

Other than user abuse obviously.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Everything is still up there on Steam. It seems like the stuff just got delinked from the Electronics Art label. If you click Maxis, Spore is still up. DICE, you'll see all the BF and Mirror's edge. Click on the store page from your game list too to find em.

Panicking over nothing.

Blizzard said:
Yeah, but Steam doesn't EXPLICITLY SAY they may terminate your account if it's not active. EA has always danced around stuff like that, haven't they? I thought their EA download stuff used to expire, but they changed their policy on that.
Them or Ubisoft were 30days.

Zimbardo

so they might cancel my account after 2 or more years of inactivity.

that's fine with me.

if ya not using something in that amount of time, i don't blame them really.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shintoki said:
Everything is still up there on Steam. It seems like the stuff just got delinked from the Electronics Art label. If you click Maxis, Spore is still up. DICE, you'll see all the BF and Mirror's edge. Click on the store page from your game list too to find em.

Panicking over nothing.

Them or Ubisoft were 30days.
No, Crysis 2 is legitimately pulled from Steam, you can't access the store page in any way. It could just be a server side glitch, but I doubt it.

coopolon

Blizzard said:

True, and yes, they used to only guarantee 12 months, and I think anything beyond that they'd charge you for "download insurance" nonsense. I don't think they ever followed through with that, although it sure does suck for anyone who did buy the download insurance. In fact, I think someone found in the current TOS that even now they only guarantee the download will be available for 24 months. On the other hand, unlike Steam, once you download it you never have to open the client again, so if you are worried about that you can always back up your purchases. Hopefully EA doesn't do anything stupid and start expiring people's accounts, but they've been going for 6 years now and I don't think they've done it yet so that's a good sign.

Other than user abuse obviously.
The problem is my definition of user abuse and Valve's definition are quite different.

Salsa

Zimbardo said:

that's fine with me.

if ya not using something in that amount of time, i don't blame them really.

so you wont plan on coming back to your digital copy of games in 10-20 years if they're still available?

I cant guarantee im gonna play my games every 2 years forever. Maybe i go on a crazy trip on the middle of a rainforest that lasts 5 years and i would like to play Super Meat Boy when i come back.

Zimbardo said:

that's fine with me.

It happens, less now but when direct 2 drive for example just opened I did use it, then Steam became awesome so I never wen't there for like 3 years.

Guess what, I do not have access to any of those multiple $50 dollar purchases on my account on direct 2 drive now, it bothers me almost daily.

Zimbardo

SalsaShark said:
so you wont plan on coming back to your digital copy of games in 10-20 years if they're still available?

I cant guarantee im gonna play my games every 2 years forever. Maybe i go on a crazy trip on the middle of a rainforest that lasts 5 years and i would like to play Super Meat Boy when i come back.

i doubt that i'll care about my current games in 10 years time ...even less in 20 years.

i also know how to use torrents and apply cracks, so if i need something bad enough i know how to get it.

coopolon

kamspy said:
I guess I'll start buying boxed EA games.

Buying them from Origin and burning them to a DVD is the same as buying them boxed DRM wise. In fact, it's better because then you don't have CD checks. After you download a game, you no longer have to ever open Origin again.

I'm not against buying them boxed, I do it frequently (and then register it on Origin to get the best of both worlds), but I thought you might think Origin is like Steam in this regard and it's not, it's better*.

*: Except EA uses SecuROM on most of their games limiting you to 5 activations. You can deauthorize any machine at any time so it's not really that limiting, but it does suck.

Zimbardo said:
i doubt that i'll care about my current games in 10 years time ...even less in 20 years.

i also know how to use torrents and apply cracks, so if i need something bad enough i know how to get it.
might want to edit

*didn't mean to be an ass...

Salsa

The thing is, Valve has won the right for me to trust them with my money on "cloud" copies from their service. They proved themselves wether its by providing great customer support, delivering to users exactly what they want, making free DLC for their games, giving away copies of their own games in special occasions, not condeming gifting games over different regions, etc.

EA has done the exact opposite.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
might want to edit

He said nothing wrong, he said that if EA screws with something he paid money for, he is going to download it from a torrents site instead of buying a copy again.

Can you blame him?

Zimbardo

scorpscarx said:
It happens, less now but when direct 2 drive for example just opened I did use it, then Steam became awesome so I never wen't there for like 3 years.

Guess what, I do not have access to any of those multiple $50 dollar purchases on my account on direct 2 drive now, it bothers me almost daily.

yeah, that sucks.

i backup the titles i buy tho, and keep a record of my cdkeys, so that situation wouldn't matter as much in my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom