• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If anyone is thinking of picking EVE, you should have someone invite you. You will get more game time (21 Days + the 30 days from the account), and the person who invites you will get 30 days more of game time too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else ever get a scam email saying that you received a gift?

I got an email from "noreply@steampowered.com" saying that user "dydy" gifted me a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 with the message "amuuuuse toi mon poucin"

Of course the links in the email to claim the gift direct to a scam site, but otherwise it's an authentic looking email (although I don't think Valve uses "noreply@steampowered.com").

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to fall for this kind of phishing email, but it's definitely something to watch out for and possibly warn friends about.

Shambles

It's not bad now but I wish there was some way we could set our store main page to not show pre-orders under the specials tab. A few weeks ago I remember the entire first page of "specials" just being pre-order bullshit with games listed at 55$. I'd really rather see only the real sales that I at least have the potential of being interested in. Granted it doesn't seem like the client is really setup to have individual accounts have customized home pages. Maybe one day.

Jomjom

Banned
Max Payne 1 and 2 are $2.50 each at GFW. If I bought this would I be able to run it from Steam? I like using the Steam feature and running non-steam games from it.

Shambles said:
It's not bad now but I wish there was some way we could set our store main page to not show pre-orders under the specials tab. A few weeks ago I remember the entire first page of "specials" just being pre-order bullshit with games listed at 55$. I'd really rather see only the real sales that I at least have the potential of being interested in. Granted it doesn't seem like the client is really setup to have individual accounts have customized home pages. Maybe one day.

Wait.. so your telling me you don't like spending money on thin air?

Honestly I hate the whole 'pre-order' mentality, there is only one redeeming quality in that in may slightly ease the mind of a developer that you actually give a shit about it, like CDPR with TW2 preorders.

Baha

Zefah said:
Anyone else ever get a scam email saying that you received a gift?

I got an email from "noreply@steampowered.com" saying that user "dydy" gifted me a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 with the message "amuuuuse toi mon poucin"

Of course the links in the email to claim the gift direct to a scam site, but otherwise it's an authentic looking email (although I don't think Valve uses "noreply@steampowered.com").

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to fall for this kind of phishing email, but it's definitely something to watch out for and possibly warn friends about.

I got gifted that horse game last week and it came from the steam support email address: support@steampowered.com

Zimbardo said:
if anyone is hard up for a deal, Direct2Drive has Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins on sale.

here's a 15% off code as well ...

http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/offers/615051861/interstitial/2JHKP

8DFE4F43CBEAD0DB7B8AADFC6BF06D7C

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition for $19

http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=dragon+age+origins

Mass Effect 1 and 2 for like $7 each ...

http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=mass effect

Mass Effect games are $20 a piece, what are you talking about?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beefed up my Wishlist in anticipation of the summer sale. It'll be the first Steam sale I actually have Windows (I'm a mac user and finally got Bootcamp set up) so... I have some catching up to do.

My wishlist is now 82 games strong. And there's a good chance I'll end up buying most of those, because they're mostly smaller, older games that are only $5 - $10 normally.

I feel a little bad about not buying Freedom Force or Dark Void Zero or Puzzle Agent for $5... but I can't do it when I know they will be $1-2.50 in the sale.

Fake Edit: In fact I just counted, and over 50 of my Wishlist games are $15 or less. So yeah, looking forward to cheapy games getting even cheaper.

So just wondering, what percentage of games that you all purchase on Steam do you actually finish? Seems many of you have these staggering collections yet seem quite content on continuing to line Valve's pockets at any chance. I'm all for a good sale, but I think a few of you need to show some financial restraint :lol

24FrameDaVinci said:
So just wondering, what percentage of games that you all purchase on Steam do you actually finish? Seems many of you have these staggering collections yet seem quite content on continuing to line Valve's pockets at any chance. I'm all for a good sale, but I think a few of you need to show some financial restraint :lol

For me, I'd say about half. Most games I buy are so cheap so it's no big deal if I never finish them.

Yaska

I finish most of the games I've bought from Steam. Rest are indie games or games that I haven't had enough time to play yet.

The indie games are usually those which aren't really "finishable" (eg. Beat Hazard, AudioSurf)

coopolon

24FrameDaVinci said:

When games are under $10 and I'm interested, I'll buy them even if I won't get to them for awhile. Sure, it's possible they'll be cheaper again before I get around to playing them, but we're talking about a few dollars here, I'm willing to risk that for the convenience of being able to play them before they go on sale again if I want too. My backlog doesn't bother me at all, it just means I have all of these (mostly) awesome games I can play anytime I want.

If games are over $10, I'll only buy them if I'm going to play them relatively soon (within a month or so, i.e. I plan on playing this game next after the game I'm currently working on. I never* pay more than $20 for a game.

*I did buy TW2 for $33, because CDPR are so cool and I know I'm going to love the game and get 100+ hours out of it. Will probably pay ~$30 for Skyrim as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
24FrameDaVinci said:

I try at least everything I buy (with perhaps a couple of exceptions). I don't necessarily think finishing a game is all that important. I'm generally won't finish something I'm not particularly enjoying. However, I also don't regret spending $2 - $10 on something just to try it out, with the option to come back to it later if I want to. Anything higher than $10, however, I tend to vet heavily before deciding whether or not to purchase it.

Derrick01

Banned
drizzle said:
I'm betting all my marbles on Thursday as well, but as I said much, much earlier in the thread, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a summer sale this year.

We're already getting daily deals.

I would rage so hard. Missing out on one of the 2 Steam events I waited and saved for because they're giving us crummy indie games every day instead. Even more now that everyone else is hosting big summer sales, Valve can't get lazy or take their success for granted.

I expect it on monday.

Zimbardo

iNvidious01 said:
i think in his haste to try and get a 20% off code he forgot to check the prices

mass effect sales were still on when i posted that.

and in order to get a 20% off code i believe you have to spend at least $29.99, so at $7 a piece, that wasn't gonna happen.

sheesh ...just trying to save people a little extra and ya get made out to be something of a shady character.

XeroSauce

coopolon said:
I think that game has been on sale more than any other PC game this year. That's a pretty bad price considering DAO Ultimate goes on sale for $20 every other weekend.

Just saying, it's better then the 15% one up above my post.

cicero

GDJustin said:
Beefed up my Wishlist in anticipation of the summer sale. It'll be the first Steam sale I actually have Windows (I'm a mac user and finally got Bootcamp set up) so... I have some catching up to do.

My wishlist is now 82 games strong. And there's a good chance I'll end up buying most of those, because they're mostly smaller, older games that are only $5 - $10 normally.

I feel a little bad about not buying Freedom Force or Dark Void Zero or Puzzle Agent for $5... but I can't do it when I know they will be $1-2.50 in the sale.

Fake Edit: In fact I just counted, and over 50 of my Wishlist games are $15 or less. So yeah, looking forward to cheapy games getting even cheaper.
If you have a bunch of Indies on your wishlist and this sale doesn't have them in really cheap "Indie Packs" you might think about waiting until the holidays. Last Thanksgiving and then also again for Christmas they had like 8 Indie packs with around five games each for $5 a pack. Pretty much the best deals of the 2010 Steam Holiday sales imo.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
cicero said:
If you have a bunch of Indies on your wishlist and this sale doesn't have them in really cheap "Indie Packs" you might think about waiting until the holidays. Last Thanksgiving and then also again for Christmas they had like 8 Indie packs with around five games each for $5 a pack. Pretty much the best deals of the 2010 Steam Holiday sales imo.

Yup. I bought a couple of those indie packs even though they had several PC-only titles, knowing I would eventually have a Windows setup.

They're CRAZY good deals but are less and less attractive as my Steam library grows (over 100 games, now). You end up with situations where you own 2-3 of the games in a five-pack, but the five pack is the same price as buying the games you don't yet have individually.

PaulLFC

cicero said:

Speaking of indie packs, I'm still annoyed with myself that I forgot to buy the variety pack - I downloaded the demos, had 5 days to buy it and still forgot :(

Hopefully it reappears for the sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Also, if there is an indie game you know for sure you want and will enjoy, there is no harm in paying full price for and showing the dev some love.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
24FrameDaVinci said:

I've done pretty well so far, although my hours logged aren't evenly spread. There are several that I've logged like 35+ in, but many more with 10 hours or less. Typically those are games I put a little time into cuz I just bought them, but then I put them on the backburner and focus on something else.

At least I haven't bought any games yet that I never intend to play.

FeD.nL

What are the chances of the Witcher 2 going on sale during the summer sale? I was about to confirm my payment and then my thoughts went to the summer sale...

Derrick01

Banned
Looks like the new patch for dungeon siege broke the game. Everyone seems to be getting a "game unavailable" message when trying to play it, me included.

Nice work Obsidian!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
FeD.nL said:
What are the chances of the Witcher 2 going on sale during the summer sale? I was about to confirm my payment and then my thoughts went to the summer sale...

I wouldn't be surprised, it already was on sale on Steam (+ other retailers) recently.

What exactly is a wishlist used for? Is it just so you can organize all the games you want to buy and keep them as a list? There's no added benefit of adding a game to a wishlist, right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DarkChronic said:
What exactly is a wishlist used for? Is it just so you can organize all the games you want to buy and keep them as a list? There's no added benefit of adding a game to a wishlist, right?
So Valve knows what games not to put on sale.

Zzoram

derFeef said:
*clears wishlist*

Actually the wishlist is so Valve knows what games to put on sale. Since they know you want the game but aren't willing to buy it at the current price, they are more likely to put those games on sale to push you over the edge and get you to buy them.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know why there isn't an auto buy feature on your wishlist. Set a sale price and if something goes on sale Valve buys it for you automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom