• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Stallion Free said:
Dragon Age 1 had Steam specific items.
More than a year ago, and the bonuses were all announced around the same time. The pre order bonuses for DA2 were all announced a while ago. I wouldn't hold your breath for any Steam specific content.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fredescu said:
More than a year ago, and the bonuses were all announced around the same time. The pre order bonuses for DA2 were all announced a while ago. I wouldn't hold your breath for any Steam specific content.
I'm not, it's just that you said there isn't a chance and well it wasn't even two years ago that that happened.

Fredescu

Stallion Free said:
I'm not, it's just that you said there isn't a chance and well it wasn't even two years ago that that happened.
It's a relatively recent thing, this EA weirdness on Steam. All the other competing services have pre orders up for Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Darkspore, Dead Space 2. They're nowhere to be seen on Steam

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fredescu said:
It's a relatively recent thing, this EA weirdness on Steam. All the other competing services have pre orders up for Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Darkspore, Dead Space 2. They're nowhere to be seen on Steam
No, EA has been weird since forever. See: Sims 3.

Fredescu

Stallion Free said:
No, EA has been weird since forever. See: Sims 3.
EA has always been fragmented in their approach. Sims 3 should be there, so should Create and mainline FIFA. Not putting core games up is recent.

Asked in the Darksiders thread, but here would probably make more sense. I can't get to the actual Darksiders game. I get to the main menu and am able to get through the two intro cutscenes, but the second it appears to turn to gameplay my PC locks up and reboots (sometimes I catch a BSoD). I meet the specs, and have tried just about everything.

Everything except running it windowed, which I'm not sure how to do. I've tried Alt+Enter, setting launch options to '-window' and '-windowed', to no avail. Any ideas?

Shaneus

Buttonbasher said:
Asked in the Darksiders thread, but here would probably make more sense. I can't get to the actual Darksiders game. I get to the main menu and am able to get through the two intro cutscenes, but the second it appears to turn to gameplay my PC locks up and reboots (sometimes I catch a BSoD). I meet the specs, and have tried just about everything.

Everything except running it windowed, which I'm not sure how to do. I've tried Alt+Enter, setting launch options to '-window' and '-windowed', to no avail. Any ideas?
If you're running Crossfire, try disabling it. Pretty much all the games I have that don't will lock the PC up completely.

Shaneus said:
If you're running Crossfire, try disabling it. Pretty much all the games I have that don't will lock the PC up completely.
I have an Nvidia card, so I don't think it's that. Thanks for the idea though.

Shaneus

Buttonbasher said:
I believe the same can happen with SLI as well... but it sounds like you've only one card so I don't think it's the issue. Maybe try the Steam forum for that game? There's a lot of b/s to sift through but there can be solid info.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've been busy, lately

6QThE.png

:D

Buttonbasher said:

Have you messed with the display settings much in the Options menu? The game was running great for me for a while, but last night it crashed 3 times in a row the instant I went into Chaos Form against a particular boss. Disabled V-Sync which finally let me get through that part.

Danj

Gattsu25 said:
I've been busy, lately

6QThE.png

:D

Wish I had that kind of internet :( although I got bucketloads of games in the Christmas sale I've only been able to download one and a half of the big ones and only 3 or 4 of the smaller ones :(

BarrenMind said:
Have you messed with the display settings much in the Options menu? The game was running great for me for a while, but last night it crashed 3 times in a row the instant I went into Chaos Form against a particular boss. Disabled V-Sync which finally let me get through that part.
I've tried it with and without Vsync, and every resolution option. Still can't get past the intro videos. I wIsh they would have offered more options in that menu. Like windowed mode.

mclaren777

How does one go about modding Steam games? Like adding texture packs to Crysis or adding new race tracks to GTR2. Is it any different from how you would mod a non-Steam game? Is there a danger in upsetting the DRM? And does the modding community have to release updates in two separate forms (Steam and non-Steam)?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mclaren777 said:
How does one go about modding Steam games? Like adding texture packs to Crysis or adding new race tracks to GTR2. Is it any different from how you would mod a non-Steam game? Is there a danger in upsetting the DRM? And does the modding community have to release updates in two separate forms (Steam and non-Steam)?
98% of the time it's the same file and you are good to go. And Steam doesn't give a shit what you do unless you are putting mods on a VAC-protected multiplayer game that are viewed as hacks.

Double D

mclaren777 said:

There's typically just a few added steps when it comes to modding Steam games. Since it's become so dominant as a service, there are usually explicit instructions on what to do if you have the steam version of a certain game right in the modding instructions.

poweld

Stallion Free said:
They day after the pre-order bonus thing ends...

Holy shit. What a bunch of cunts.
Is the stuff they're offering with this pre-order not the same? I assumed that was the case.

vocab

Steam users pay $10 more for less content wooooooooo. EA business model is pretty good.

Jay Shadow said:
IF it's a joke then Activision has been laughing to the bank since Modern Warfare 2. Now EA is following suit.

I don't buy call of duty games nor care about them.

Erudite

I was a pretty big fan of DA:O.. But after all this bullshit with the Signature Edition and Steam, I'm either just going to wait for the Ultimate Edition to go on sale or ignore it all together.

Traced-Velocity said:
I was a pretty big fan of DA:O.. But after all this bullshit with the Signature Edition and Steam, I'm either just going to wait for the Ultimate Edition to go on sale or ignore it all together.

This is pretty much how I feel. I hate them for hating my beloved Steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
vocab said:
Steam users pay $10 more for less content wooooooooo. EA business model is pretty good.

I don't buy call of duty games nor care about them.
I want some of the older Call of Duty games, but they still go for $20 a pop. Sell me that Warchest pack for $10, and then I'll be happy.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
wolfmat said:
I know! Wanted to post something worthwhile at first, but forgot what it was.

No backtracking! Mail a god-damned penny to Evilore to cover the costs of your worthless post.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I have a feeling that Dead Space 2 will be like Need for Speed and it'll go up a few weeks after release. And for that, I shall wait until it is 10 dollars or less!

scitek

morningbus said:
I have a feeling that Dead Space 2 will be like Need for Speed and it'll go up a few weeks after release. And for that, I shall wait until it is 10 dollars or less!

I need to play it for review on our small site. I don't want to buy it through EA.com because I want it on the same account I have the first one.

poweld

Smash88 said:
If you give me a good title, I'll make my first thread ever.
It's gotta poke fun at the fact that he says
John Riccitello said:
The point, though, that I’m making is that sometimes you’re not going to play because your internet connection is down and sometimes delivering a game by streaming is a really inefficient way to do it,
and at the same time EA uses SecuROM internet-based DRM.

Smash88 said:
If you give me a good title, I'll make my first thread ever.
Well you should probably link to the original article http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-ceo-game-discs-not-going-away-anytime-soon/

at least to me the best quote is "I think the disc can actually be a great starting point for a digital business...we make services, we don’t make products"

EA CEO - We don't make games, we just make ways to nickle and dime you for them. But that might not be accurate enough.

Edit: Although that was kind of obvious. He is just admitting to the EA police of selling you the game just so they can charge you for as much DLC as they possibly can, or if its not DLC just some dumb in game stuff like cheats, money, items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom