• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MoFuzz said:
Agreed, he really owns that part. Suits him so well. I loved the original Butcher Bay and would love to jump at the HD remake along with Athena, but third party DRM kills it for me.
I installed it once and beat it (and replayed Butcher Bay). I got it real cheap so I said what the hell I'll overlook the DRM.

And then thank god: "Notice: After activating the third time your product using TAGES a 30-day timer starts. After 30 days you will get that activation back up to 3 total activations."

They give me activations back automatically. Unlike EA cunts with Crysis.

geeko

jaundicejuice said:
At 5$, I can tolerate TAGES.

So I recently got a new computer, and put a bunch of game on it over the christmas sale. I bought Crysis, Left 4 dead 2, BFBC2, Stalker, TF2, The Witcher. So now when I reboot my computer it says it has some sort of problem with Tages, like driver incompatability. Is this common?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You know what, at that price, I am going to recommend Riddick even with the funky ass DRM. I didn't encounter any issues when I beat the game and you don't have to worry about getting back activations and both games are excellent.

Vin Diesel's performance alone is worth the 5$ honestly, but both games are packed with excellent voicework all around.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does activation mean "every time you install the game on a different computer" or is it "every time you install the game on any computer".

So, if I delete the game after first installing the game on my computer, will I have to spend another activation when I download it again later on on the same same computer? Or does it only apply for different computers?

geeko420 said:
So I recently got a new computer, and put a bunch of game on it over the christmas sale. I bought Crysis, Left 4 dead 2, BFBC2, Stalker, TF2, The Witcher. So now when I reboot my computer it says it has some sort of problem with Tages, like driver incompatability. Is this common?

Running Windows 7 64? Seems like there are issues for Windows 7 64 users, unless you update to version 5.5.

This is based off of a quick Google search...

http://www.overclock.net/windows/572403-windows-7-pro-x64-tages-protection.html

vocab

Smash88 said:
The only Tages game I have is STALKER Clear Sky, and that is because the game is so god damn good that you can't pass it up on a DRM like that.

It doesn't even have true TAGES. It was removed but files were left over in the folders or something like that.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well I've went ahead and purchased it, I'm running W7 64bit so I'll let you know how it goes, mind you on an 8mb connection that 10gig isn't coming down in a hurry.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
lowrider007 said:
Well I've went ahead and purchased it, I'm running W7 64bit so I'll let you know how it goes, mind you on an 8mb connection that 10gig isn't coming down in a hurry.

ok cool i'm running w7 64bit as well..its my main HTPC as well as gaming pc so i'm learry about installing anything that could mess up

Smash88

Banned
vocab said:
It doesn't even have true TAGES. It was removed but files were left over in the folders or something like that.

Oh sweet, then I will have never used Tages. :D

I had to skip on Wings of Prey and now this game.... oh well.

Not to mention SC: Conviction and AC2.

I hate TAGES too but if it's 30 day wait to go back to 3 activations, that's really not that bad at all compared to other DRM companies have used.

Edit: Is the Riddick TAGES different than others? I remember Wings of Prey making it sound like you get 4 total activations or something not something like this were it resets after 30 days.

kamspy

I bought it. It's been in my Newegg cart for over a year and in my Steam cart on a few occasions. I figure that has to mean something. Hopefully it doesn't mean that I don't really want the game.:lol Nah. I played both on Xbox and like 'em. $5 was a good deal. I just hope they run well.

Did any who played have problems with the SSAO and to a lesser extent, AA? That's what Google told me to look out for.

52club

Got the same price on The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena from D2D over a year ago. I haven't had a chance to play. I appreciate Steam highlighting this game so I don't forget to play it, but I can't say I'm overly impressed by the price.

MoFuzz

52club said:
Got the same price on The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena from D2D over a year ago. I haven't had a chance to play. I appreciate Steam highlighting this game so I don't forget to play it, but I can't say I'm overly impressed by the price.
davis2.jpg

Prezhulio

ok has ANYONE on windows 7 got controller support working in dead rising 2? I'm finally getting into it after buying it on sale over the holiday, but shaking my mouse to get people off is driving me god damn crazy. i've been working on it for about an hour with xboxce and the various directions given online to fix it but nothing has worked...

Mr Jared

Ah, my first official Steam sale purchase. Everything else was made before I even had a PC assembled :lol

I own Riddick on Xbox and I even bought it again on Xbox 360. I have officially triple-dipped on this awesome game because for $5 bucks its really crazy to pass it up.

I am surprised how awesome Riddick holds up after all these years, it looks fantastic.

Stupid question, but this game has some weird aspect ratio because of Riddick's vision correct? It feels like I am looking at a 16:10 ratio, but there are black bars on the screen and a weird fish lens effect.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
What's sad is that in this thread that doesn't read as joke.
I am not being that cheap to want 87% off, but I have enough of a backlog where I don't need anther FPS.

vocab

So I'm playing NyxQuest, and the screen jitters around once in a while. It's not even a frame drop. The game won't even accept triple buffering. Vsync off makes it just feel awful. Anyone had this problem with the game?

GWX

vocab said:
So I'm playing NyxQuest, and the screen jitters around once in a while. It's not even a frame drop. The game won't even accept triple buffering. Vsync off makes it just feel awful. Anyone had this problem with the game?

Dunno, I always leave D3DOverrider running on the background and never noticed stuttering or screen tearing in-game. Fraps always showed 60fps.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well no problems with TAGE here on W7 64bit, didn't need to update or anything, with regards the to actual game (Chronicles of Riddick) it's a shame v-sync doesn't work that well, I forgot this is an openGL game, not only does it seem to really slow the game down but it creates major mouse lag, with it off though it runs fine.

mm04

So those of you who have already played Riddick, would you characterize the game as an FPS? Stealth/Action game? Or something else completely? I missed the original on Xbox and wanted to buy Dark Athena when it came out, but just couldn't fit it into my schedule at the time. This is why I love Steam. I can play all of those games I missed out on for $5 sooner or later!

John

mm04 said:
So those of you who have already played Riddick, would you characterize the game as an FPS? Stealth/Action game? Or something else completely? I missed the original on Xbox and wanted to buy Dark Athena when it came out, but just couldn't fit it into my schedule at the time. This is why I love Steam. I can play all of those games I missed out on for $5 sooner or later!
in dark athena it switches among stealthing, shooting, and melee fighting pretty incisively throughout the adventure. the largest style i'd go with is stealth, but that might just be me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have Riddick on Steam. First, I changed RAM. Then I changed CPU. Then I changed video card. Then Riddick stopped working. I wrote to Atari support, they redirected me to Steam support.

Have fun people.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So you are saying the "You get an activation back every 30 days" thing is a lie, or did you change 3 parts within 30 days while playing the game?

~Kinggi~

Banned
subversus said:
I have Riddick on Steam. First, I changed RAM. Then I changed CPU. Then I changed video card. Then Riddick stopped working. I wrote to Atari support, they redirected me to Steam support.

Have fun people.
You talking about tages? It says its a 3 install limit every 30 days, not a 3 machine limit.

Tages? No thanks, not even if I got the game for free. I have enough games to play to not need this one that badly. I don´t want to infect my system with it, and I don´t want to support publishers that uses extra DRM on Steam.

vocab

subversus said:

Have fun people.

You changed hardware profiles 3 times. Good job reading the DRM.

Ledsen

Eaten By A Grue said:
I am surprised how awesome Riddick holds up after all these years, it looks fantastic.

Stupid question, but this game has some weird aspect ratio because of Riddick's vision correct? It feels like I am looking at a 16:10 ratio, but there are black bars on the screen and a weird fish lens effect.

The graphics are upgraded in the remake, which only came out in 2009.

mm04

Damn these Steam sales. I bought Riddick because I think it's doubtful it'll ever be cheaper than $5 and I enjoy stealth action games. Well, it is payday at least.

Most recent additions to registry:

Dead Space 2
Total War Shogun 2
Mega Drive IV (Toe Jam and Earl, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic 2)
Bulletstorm
Sims 3 (Ep 1, 2, 3)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LovingSteam said:
Most recent additions to registry:

Dead Space 2
Total War Shogun 2
Mega Drive IV (Toe Jam and Earl, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic 2)
Bulletstorm
Sims 3 (Ep 1, 2, 3)

Besides FF7, what's the game that's been in the registry the longest without being released?

Wallach

I bought CoR:AoDT when the retail copy was on sale for $2 on Newegg (free shipping no less). EoBB is still one of my favorites and I think it would be worth it for the update to that alone. Grab it if you don't have it.

Also, about time for Dead Space 2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Does Dark Athena and the EfBB remake have dev commentary. Cause I'd rather EfBB Director's Cut if it isnt there.

Wallach

HK-47 said:
Does Dark Athena and the EfBB remake have dev commentary. Cause I'd rather EfBB Director's Cut if it isnt there.

Yeah, it's there. You have to either unlock it by finishing EfBB once or editing a file to set that variable as complete.

Edit - I think you might have to download it actually (I can't remember now) so whether or not it works with the Steam version I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom