• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
This is why I don't make threads, I can never think of a catchy thread title. I also don't want to go on the offense. Sorry to take this thread off-track, back onto Steam.

Edit: Also my title is: EA CEO John Riccitello thinks cloud gaming is not the future and More!

Mrbob

eznark said:
Give EA a break. They are making it into a console game, may as well charge console prices.

:lol

After the way EA treats their Steam customers, I'll be waiting for a weekend deal before buying Dragon Age 2.

Wallach

The content shown on the DA2 page is not Steam exclusive, just pre-order exclusive. I guess they won't be doing anything Steam-specific this time around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ugh I completely forgot about Dead Space 2. I would have bought that on Steam day 1. Now I will probably have to fucking wait. UGH.

poweld

dejan said:
Oh, they did.
Neogaf_Stallion.gif

Mrbob

It is like Bioware is trolling Steam customers. From Bioware social:

Chris Priestly of Bioware said:
Tony, and others, the deal with Steam was not available in time for the Signature Edition offer. I know this will not prevent you from thinking this was a big conspiracy, but the deal was not finalized in time for the Signature Edition. However, we are pleased to now have a deal in place with Steam for Steam users such as yourself. You did have the option of pre-ordering through a physical retailer or otehr digital retailers. If you chose not to, that was your decision. As such, comments accusing us of "ripping off" people are not welcome here and will be considered spam with all implied penalties associated with posting spam on these forums.

As for The Black Emporium, Fadeshear and the Lion of Orlais, the Black Emporium is available for all new copies of DAII, so that does include Steam. Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais are also available on Steam as long as you pre-order. They are only available as pre-order items and will not be available once the game launches, but they are available on Steam until teh game ships. /images/forum/emoticons/smile.png

I have a couple issues with these comments. The first one is the regular edition pops up for pre order the day after the signature edition isn't available anymore. Secondly the deal wasn't finalized in time for the Signature Edition? Really? What kind of garbage response is this? The game isn't due out for almost another three months, there had to be a cut off of Jan 11 with no grace period involved even though it took so long to get the game on Steam? I'll be waiting for a low, low price now.

Joe Molotov

Wallach said:
The content shown on the DA2 page is not Steam exclusive, just pre-order exclusive. I guess they won't be doing anything Steam-specific this time around.

Pay $10 extra dollars, a Steam-exclusive! Fuck you, EA. :lol

vocab

Mrbob said:
It is like Bioware is trolling Steam customers. From Bioware social:

I have a couple issues with these comments. The first one is the regular edition pops up for pre order the day after the signature edition isn't available anymore. Secondly the deal wasn't finalized in time for the Signature Edition? Really? What kind of garbage response is this? The game isn't due out for almost another three months, there had to be a cut off of Jan 11 with no grace period involved even though it took so long to get the game on Steam? I'll be waiting for a low, low price now.

It's like he's trying really hard not to laugh when posting that. Steam couldn't finalize your deal? LOL, dude this isn't Microsoft ffs.

Mrbob said:
Wasn't the signature edition announced a few months ago? It really took them that long? You couldn't extend the deadline a single day just to not screw the Steam customers? Yup I totally believe that spin.

Gribbix

epmode said:
Isn't it $50 on Impulse?

EA is such a pile of dicks. Bioware isn't much better.
They'll probably raise the Impulse price soon. I noticed that the prices of the retail versions of their upcoming PC games (Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm, Dragon Age 2, and Crysis 2) recently increased to $60.

Mrbob

Funny thing is Chris had been claiming ignorance the entire time leading up to the end of the Signature deal that he had no idea when or if a Steam version would be available. Whole ordeal leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Don't know if I'll support Bioware/EA at all with Dragon Age 2.

Nabs

Gribbix said:
They'll probably raise the Impulse price soon. I noticed that the prices of the retail versions of their upcoming PC games (Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, and Crysis 2) recently increased to $60.

ah nice. now i'm definitely not buying those games day 1.

Joe Molotov

He should have just said "Sorry, EA hates Steam, so that's why they're screwing you guys. We didn't want to do this, but we didn't have a choice because EA owns our souls." At least we could have respected an answer like that.

Joe Molotov said:
He should have just said "Sorry, EA hates Steam, so that's why they're screwing you guys. We didn't want to do this, but we didn't have a choice because EA owns our souls." At least we could have respected an answer like that.
Pretty much. I couldn't even get worked up over that Interview with Riccitiello because he said what we all knew already.

vocab

zombieshavebrains said:
Time to wait about 2 years for the DA2: Ultimate edition with all the dlc and not 60 price tag.

That's if the game is any good. If it's as shitty as we predict, then my money is better suited for janky euro rpgs.

Polk

zombieshavebrains said:
Time to wait about 2 years for the DA2: Ultimate edition with all the dlc and not 60 price tag.
It will be half price (or more) at winter sale. Vote with your wallet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lostconfused said:
Wasn't the signature edition announced a few months ago? It really took them that long? You couldn't extend the deadline a single day just to not screw the Steam customers? Yup I totally believe that spin.

Never mind the whole "EA doesn't hate Steam" doublespeak, as if the Signature Edition was the only reason why people had to perceive that to be the case rather than literally every PC-related action since NFS:HP/Create were released.

Joe Molotov

vocab said:
That's if the game is any good. If it's as shitty as we predict, then my money is better suited for janky euro rpgs.

Yeah, I'm way more pumped for The Witcher 2 and Two Worlds 2 than DA2 right now.

zombieshavebrains said:
You only had to wait one year for DA:O ultimate to hit $25, doubt its going to be any longer this time either.
Stumpokapow said:
Never mind the whole "EA doesn't hate Steam" doublespeak, as if the Signature Edition was the only reason why people had to perceive that to be the case rather than literally every PC-related action since NFS:HP/Create were released.
Oh no I know EA has been pretty obvious in how they do business. I was just pointing out obvious arguments that can be brought against that poor of an excuse for a mod to crush any dissenting posts.

Edit: On the one hand I spent now $80 on dragon age. On the other hand with everything we know about DA2 I am kind of glad that I am not feeling the need to actually buy it anymore. But now seeing this $60 trend EA is moving towards, I am kind of annoyed that they are pulling these shenanigans with Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 because Crytek and People Can Fly are developers probably worth supporting.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've reverted back to my 2003 "Fuck EA Games" world view. Seriously, screw these guys - strongly considering skipping whatever they put out.

Actually, yeah, why not. I'll skip everything they put out. THQ, 2K and indie games from here on out. :lol

Edit: Oh, and Namco/SquareEnix. What are these guys doing publishing mah games anyway.

Joe Molotov said:
Pay $10 extra dollars, a Steam-exclusive! Fuck you, EA. :lol

If this is EA's new strategy then they just lost a potential customer. There are a lot more PC exclusive developers more deserving of my money than EA's console-focused titles.

Witcher 2 is going to make DA2 look like a mediocre title... yeah I said it.

epmode

Stumpokapow said:
Before that even. Spore was EA's Big New Thing and it didn't show up on Steam until well after it fizzled. And The Sims 3 still isn't available.

FYI, EA: I will never buy one of your games from the EA store, no matter what.
Lyphen said:
I've reverted back to my 2003 "Fuck EA Games" world view. Seriously, screw these guys - strongly considering skipping whatever they put out.
I'm almost there myself. I hate that they actually have some stuff I'm interested in, unlike the mostly useless Activision.

..but if they ever show up on GOG...

Y'know, I've come to resent most of the major publishing studios. It's not like it could turn out any differently though. This is what happens when you have to answer to shareholders each quarter.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hmm I wonder if I should bite on D2Ds dead space 2 deal, it's only 45$ right now. I guess that'll be lower than on steam :eek:

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm LTTP on BioShock for PC, but recently bought a copy during the Steam sale. It wouldn't boot up, and I found that Realtek drivers could be the problem. So I updated the drivers but still nothing. I put -nosound in the launch options and it starts right up. Does anyone know an easy fix to get sound? Thanks.

szaromir

Banned
How is Assult on Dark Athena compared to the first campaign? I played the first one on Xbox back in 2004, is the new campaign interesting?

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Mutagenic said:
I'm LTTP on BioShock for PC, but recently bought a copy during the Steam sale. It wouldn't boot up, and I found that Realtek drivers could be the problem. So I updated the drivers but still nothing. I put -nosound in the launch options and it starts right up. Does anyone know an easy fix to get sound? Thanks.

I had to uninstall OpenAL.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
szaromir said:
How is Assult on Dark Athena compared to the first campaign? I played the first one on Xbox back in 2004, is the new campaign interesting?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is less NPC interaction/quests but more of the awesome stealth action stuff.

szaromir said:

It's a lot of fun. You get a visually upgraded version of the first game with it, so imo it's worth it just to play Butcher Bay again.

John

szaromir said:
i liked it even more than butcher bay. it felt more focused, more stealthy

szaromir

Banned
Thanks, purchased.:D I liked Butcher Bay, but The Darkness pissed me off at some point, but I think at €5 I won't lose much anyway.:lol

szaromir said:

It's not near as good as Butcher Bay, but it's not bad, and worth playing.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Tempted by Riddick ..but not liking the looks of TAGES. so far I've avoided these rootkit style DRM solutions in the games I've purchased so far.

How bad is TAGES and/or has it been removed from the game?

Smash88

Banned
The only Tages game I have is STALKER Clear Sky, and that is because the game is so god damn good that you can't pass it up on a DRM like that.

MoFuzz

Stallion Free said:
Vin Diesel is fucking awesome in the Chronicles of Riddick games.
Agreed, he really owns that part. Suits him so well. I loved the original Butcher Bay and would love to jump at the HD remake along with Athena, but third party DRM kills it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom