• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played Orcs must die for the achievement and found out that the game is quite fantastic. I'll definitely be playing it to completion. The game cries out for online co-op though... such a shame it doesn't have it.

gdt

I'll probably have to restrain myself a bit, my car just totally fucked itself a few days ago. New engine get :/.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I know what that's all about. I had to replace a fuel pump outside of a few cosmetic fixes /burn on me

Derrick01

Banned
I had my dad hide my credit card last night so I'd be forced to not participate for the first few days at least. Turns out having no money doesn't actually prevent me from buying things :\

Chesskid1

Banned
a friend told me to make sure to be on steam when the dailies start, in case there are price mistakes you can take advantage of. he said there were a few last year.

Servers are going to be hammered so it's always best to rely on a GAF member taking a screenshot.

I'd give at least 30 minutes on my end before I can properly see the store page.

Jinaar

Really want some fawesome deals on Batman AA/AC and RAGE. Saints Row III if they are willing and ready. Other then the new games out since Sept - Oct, no real wishlist. Wallet safe for now? No one knows... no one is talking...

Only one I remember is Terraria. I got it for 2.50 before it reverted to 5 dollars a while after.

It happened with Dow2 Retribution as well. The price was down to 7.5$ and I grabbed it before they increased it back up to 15$. Of course, the game went straight into the unplayed backlog and will likely be even cheaper than 7.5$ in this sale :p

I'm part of the STS (Steam Translation Server) and, uh, this just in:

"In order to take advantage of the income tax treaty between the United States and your country and allow for a exempt/reduced withholding tax rate, you will need to complete a Form W-8BEN, "Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding". Without a completed Form W-8BEN, we will need to withhold 30% of your revenue share and remit these taxes to the IRS. You may want to consult with your tax advisors on whether you can recover these taxes as a foreign tax credit on your tax return."

I have no clue.

a friend told me to make sure to be on steam when the dailies start, in case there are price mistakes you can take advantage of. he said there were a few last year.

Yeah, TDU2 was 5€ before going back up to 9,99€. Same thing with Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

Dynoro

I'm part of the STS (Steam Translation Server) and, uh, this just in:

"In order to take advantage of the income tax treaty between the United States and your country and allow for a exempt/reduced withholding tax rate, you will need to complete a Form W-8BEN, "Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding". Without a completed Form W-8BEN, we will need to withhold 30% of your revenue share and remit these taxes to the IRS. You may want to consult with your tax advisors on whether you can recover these taxes as a foreign tax credit on your tax return."

I have no clue.
I assume this is related to Steam Workshop and selling mods/hats/maps so Valve knows how much tax to charge you on income

Chavelo

Okay, okay... Got about 24 dollars on my paypal account at the moment. About 55 more should be in tomorrow, so that's gonna be my fun money over this sale... Anyone doing another thread that has games that are on sale but that are indie or are going for less than a buck? I remember SalsaShark did something like that which helped me out a lot. OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD IT'S COMIIIIINNNG, I'M COMMMMMINGGGG ARGHHHHH

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436731

This came really useful on the last day. XD

Holiday sale OP + achievement list + list of gifters is done, just waiting for Gabe to flick on the switch...

fvZAd.jpg

Wait, gifters as in US/EU helpers? Or just general gifters? I might be able to do either/or if that's the case. Please let me know, MR.ORANGE. Really looking forward to your thread!

Firebrand

Yeah, it happens. Last year I remember DoW2:Retribution being discounted by 75% instead of 50%, and The Witcher was 94% off instead of 75%. But it can be the other way around too, often they're slow with updating the prices from regular sale price to the daily one.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I wonder when the holiday sales related HL3 arg is going to kick off for real

Im_Special

This was posted on SA, and didn't see anything about it here.

Just so everyone gets to see it:
Edit: Credit is given to the people from Facepunch.

Epic Holiday Giveaway
The Steam Holiday Sale concludes on January 2nd with the Epic Holiday Giveaway.

"How to enter:
Entries will be based
on the number of coal
remaining in your
Steam Inventory on
January 2nd at 10am
PST."

"You must also have 10
items on your Steam
wishlist at that time to
qualify"

"Click here for complete
contest rules."

Grand Prize
1 winner
Every single game on Steam
First Prize
50 winners
Top 10 items on wishlist
Second Prize
100 winners
Top 5 items on wishlist
Third Prize
1,000 winners
Valve Complete Pack
-------------------

Gifts
Congratulations! You got a gift.
Here is what you can do with it:
Use it
"The Great Gift Pile has both full games

and coupons. You can simply use them."

Trade it
"You can trade both gifts and coal with your friends
for all kinds of things. Steam Trading makes this easy."

Give it
"Feeling generous? Send your
gift to a friend, or give it to a
stranger. Just image the
karma!"

Coal
"You got a lump of coal? Don't despair.
Here are three things you can do with it:"

Craft it
"Seven pieces of coal can be crafted into
a gift from the Gift Pile. Don't worry, you
won't get coal again."

Save it
"Or you can save it all up. Each lump of
coal is an entry into the Epic Holiday
Giveaway on January 2."
-------------------

PLAY
games,
GET
prizes
-------------------

Dambrosi

Banned
Same here.

I still don't understand how Hitogata Happa works, I can't change my character while it seems I should.
Also, the game won't fill my monitor when it's rotated. Which has probably something to do with the game's shit resolution.

You have to remember, these games were from around 2006-ish, so they were old even when they were released on PSN/Steam. And they were doujin games, at that. Cut 'em some slack.

EDIT: Oh my fuck will you look at that. Every game on Steam? Wow.

No, wait. So, if you have unreleased games on your wishlist, you're actually better off with the second prize, since there's no way in hell you're ever going to be able to play that many games in your lifetime, making the first prize the world's biggest backlog? Hrmm.

EDIT2: Oh shit, I forgot about taxes. Someone's gonna have an IRS repo squad camped outside their house.

1-D_FTW

Dang. So they will be gifting some full games. And coupons. Will need to see the full details on the coupons before I grind in earnest.

the taxes on that grand prize will be ludicrous.

That's a multi-million dollar grand prize!

I wonder if they do charge taxes, or if it's just considered a subscription with no tangible value.

Honestly, I looked this up after I realized my wishlist winnings was valued at 500+. But there's no mention of Valve submitting this to the government. So I don't think I'll have to pay taxes on it. Would have been a bit of a buzz kill otherwise since I'd have gotten them all for under a hundred dollars eventually anyways.

Derrick01

Banned
Every game? motherofgod.jpg

My ISP is praying I don't win. As of today I have unlimited usage but if I win this I see a cap coming just for me :lol

you also get a free gift for creating a new Steam account

some translation strings
Free achievements

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-CHECK_INVENTORY
Check your inventory - you've got a gift!
A Mobius Achievement: simply go to your <a href="%s">Steam Inventory</a> and see what you got, then we give you something else just for looking for that.

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-JOIN_SALE_COMMUNITY
Join the 2011 Holiday Group
Years from now, you can look back and say "I was there. . ." with a wistful glint in your eye. Go to the <a href="%s">Steam Community</a> to see who&#8217;s already had too much eggnog.

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-TRADE_ITEM
Get what you want &#8211; trade!
Pick a friend to chat with from your Friends List, then hit "Invite to Trade." The rest is up to you. Games, coupons, coal. . .sorry, fruitcake doesn&#8217;t fit through our pipes.

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-WISHLIST_10
Have 10 items on your wishlist
You haven&#8217;t done this already?!? <a href="%s">Do it!</a> What if you win the Epic Holiday Giveaway? How do your friends know what to get you?

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-WRITE_RECOMMENDATION
Write a recommendation
Example: "I really like Half Life 2: Episode Two, but it doesn&#8217;t really feel like the end." You can write a recommendation for <a href="%s">any game you own</a>.

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-LINK_TO_FACEBOOK
Link your Facebook account
Make sure your highschool sweetheart(s), dogsitter, and second cousin twice-removed know you love fragging, ganking, and wearing silly hats. Click <a href="%s">here</a>.

#promo_holidaysale2011_ach_755_ACH-SETUP_STEAMGUARD
Turn on Steam Guard
Best way to have visions of sugar-plums dancing in your head is to sleep soundly at night. Learn more <a href="%s">here</a>.

End of achievements

Other useful strings

#promo_holidaysale2011_get_started_text
In fact, we'll give you something just for getting started. Click the 'Get Started' button below to get your free gift.

#promo_holidaysale2011_free_item
Your free item has been added to your Steam inventory!

#promo_holidaysale2011_begin_contest
You can now unlock achievements on this page to get more free items.

#promo_holidaysale2011_see_free_item
SEE WHAT YOU'VE WON

#backpack_coal_description_1
For each piece of coal in your inventory, you have an entry into the grand prize drawing, which takes place January 2nd.

#backpack_coal_description_2
Alternatively, 7 pieces of Coal may be crafted here into a prize from the Great Gift Pile.

#promo_holidaysale2011_login_text
In fact, we&#8217;ll give you something just for getting started. First, sign in. Then come back here to get your free gift.

Ok, why am I excited for this sale already ? I am no plan of buying games because I can't really play them for now. So should I buy only games that I can play now ? But I've been doing this for the past 4 month and actually didn't play them.

So for the collection, for the backlog, for the day where I'll be all out of games ? That wont happen anytime soon with my current back log...

So really, why am I excited ? Maybe because it's my first Christmast Sale...

Okay, I'm off to actually make a list of games that I can play now, that look interesting and that I might actually play one day.

I can't swear I'll stick to it, sorry...

TGMIII

So it's going to come down to spending your coal on prizes or keeping them to maybe win an even better prize. Depending on the prizes this could be hard since you've got an insanely small chance of winning the grand prize.

ne1

Jeez, my good 'ol laptop managed to squeeze out not one, but TWO whole FPS in the Polynominal. But hey, even then it was easy to get the achievement.

Maybe I´m being the grinch now, but they need to come up with better prizes than giving away more games :). I already own too many games, and the problem is not the costs for the games, but actually playing them.

It would be nice to get future games for free, but out of the games released now, I already own those I want, and to get a whole bunch of other games would actually feel.....annoying. :)

I mean, Valve Complete Pack, I really don´t want that. I own Portal 1, Portal 2, TF2, the Half Life 2 games, etc. What´s left? Left 4 Dead 1&2 that I have no interest in, and a bunch of old HL1 variants.

But hats are nice! I want more hats!

Derrick01

Banned
Welcome to the true 1%, friend. Rocking unlimited Internet is awesome.

Yeah it's pretty awesome, can't deny it.

But how would this work if you won everything? Would you just be able to go to each game's page and hit download or would it all be in your library?

Christ could you imagine organizing over 1000 games into your categories at once?

1-D_FTW

So it's going to come down to spending your coal on prizes or keeping them to maybe win an even better prize. Depending on the prizes this could be hard since you've got an insanely small chance of winning the grand prize.

Take the prizes and buy a lottery ticket for 1 dollar. If you're gonna beat those kind of odds, mine as well be set for life while you're at it.

pfkas

bu.. but.. I've only just started playing SWTOR!

my poor poor wallet.

Am I right in thinking (hoping) it starts at 6 tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom