• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

For anyone interested in the Next Big Thing:

It boasts pretty decent visuals, but its humour, characters, and plot are incredibly terribly written. Do not buy this unless you want to have your intelligence offended.

Derrick01

Banned
They won't move in if the shack location makes it more convenient (within reason) for them to get to work. Put garages next to any apartment blocks and another garage next to their place of employment. Also, I don't remember the exact formula, but I think people can spend a maximum of one-third of their salary on rent. If their salary is $18, and you set rent to $7, then they can't move in.

Edit: Oh, and that also holds for how much of their salary they can spend on entertainment - maximum of one-third of their salary. So if you totally jack up the prices at the corner dive bar, they won't be able to visit.

Some of the game mechanics aren't really obvious admittedly. The learning curve in this is still way more gentle than the mindfuck that is Anno 2070 though.

Good to know about Anno since I went ahead and downloaded that at the same time as this :lol. I'll get to that some other day though.

I had 2 garages set up near farms on opposite ends of the island so they could transport stuff easier but I need garages on the other side too? Those things are big and my build-able space is so tiny on that island though :\

I think that amount is a bit too steep for them. Raise their wages a bit more since they still need the extra money for food and entertainment.

You will never be able to truly remove shacks since there will be unemployed, uneducated people, even if they are few. However you can avoid much by building apartments in default rent while raising salaries. For me I think uneducated with salary of 30 should do.

Yeah I noticed quite a bit of poors in one section but then I saw a pretty long row of shacks with workers making $15+ and even a damn high school teacher making $25+. I wish I could manually set rent for each person since it's apparently a hidden ratio of salary and everyone makes something different.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anybody know if Ubi removed the always online DRM from their released games as well? I've been eyeing Anno 2070 for some time.

I don't think so. As far as Anno is concerned, a SPUF user had this to say:

Essentially, unless Ubi patches the game so the Ark is client-based (fat chance), the game will retain its always-online DRM.

I don't think so. As far as Anno is concerned, a SPUF user had this to say:

Essentially, unless Ubi patches the game so the Ark is client-based (fat chance), the game will retain its always-online DRM.

ubi pls

Server-based shit needs to die asap, so dumb.

MNC

Just completed Harley Quinn's Revenge...

And all I can say is... That's it? I expected just a bit more clarification or additions except
playing as Robin
and the
robot enemies at the end.

It basically allowed for some nice stealth and freeflow (or whatchamacallit) combat. But I expected some nice twist ending... Nope.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I sort of really like writing a couple sentences to sum up my feelings after beat games in the review thing on Steam. I wish more people on my FL would do that because they show up rather nicely in Big Picture mode.

MRORANGE

I sort of really like writing a couple sentences to sum up my feelings after beat games in the review thing on Steam. I wish more people on my FL would do that because they show up rather nicely in Big Picture mode.

I wish we could have negative reviews and yeah in some cases a review might sway me on a game purchase.

Yeah I noticed quite a bit of poors in one section but then I saw a pretty long row of shacks with workers making $15+ and even a damn high school teacher making $25+. I wish I could manually set rent for each person since it's apparently a hidden ratio of salary and everyone makes something different.

Heres what works for me;
1) Go full commie and make all your housing free.
Get the USSR development grant for cheap housing, and buy either tenements (cheap but crap) or apartments (more expensive but decent standard of housing satisfaction) so you have enough housing for everyone.
Allow same sex marriages. It means people will share houses which means less houses are needed.

Because housing is free to tropicans, you don't get shacks shitting up your building plots and creating high density crime hotspots, as everyone prefers to live in even a shitty house than a shack.

Because housing is free, you can pay your tropicans fuck all wages as the only thing wages will affect is their job satisfaction which easily offsets all that missing rent. I generally have uneducated workers at $10, high school at $15 and college at $20 and still easily beat the caribbean average meaning lots of immigrants. You can go lower, but then you lose out on immigrants, so pass a contraception ban edict and let them pick up the slack like rabbits.

Communists and USSR love you because hey, free houses.
Capitalists love you because you're exploiting the shit out of your poorly paid workforce by having them all work in sweatshop rum distilleries and cigar factories for fat cash.

EDIT: just so you know, you can set wages for either all types of the same job or all wages for that level of education by pressing the buttons next to the job info on any given job; if I have a lot of empty factories, I might up factory wages to $11 for a bit and maybe put in a skylight or something so they keep making me fat loot.

Derrick01

Banned
Heres what works for me;
1) Go full commie and make all your housing free.
Get the USSR development grant for cheap housing, and buy either tenements (cheap but crap) or apartments (more expensive but decent standard of housing satisfaction) so you have enough housing for everyone.
Allow same sex marriages. It means people will share houses which means less houses are needed.

Because housing is free to tropicans, you don't get shacks shitting up your building plots and creating high density crime hotspots, as everyone prefers to live in even a shitty house than a shack.

Because housing is free, you can pay your tropicans fuck all wages as the only thing wages will affect is their job satisfaction which easily offsets all that missing rent. I generally have uneducated workers at $10, high school at $15 and college at $20 and still easily beat the caribbean average meaning lots of immigrants. You can go lower, but then you lose out on immigrants, so pass a contraception ban edict and let them pick up the slack like rabbits.

Communists and USSR love you because hey, free houses.
Capitalists love you because you're exploiting the shit out of your poorly paid workforce by having them all work in sweatshop rum distilleries and cigar factories for fat cash.

EDIT: just so you know, you can set wages for either all types of the same job or all wages for that level of education by pressing the buttons next to the job info on any given job; if I have a lot of empty factories, I might up factory wages to $11 for a bit and maybe put in a skylight or something so they keep making me fat loot.

That's a devilishly brilliant plan. I think I'm going to try that out in my sandbox game. The last game I was talking about it was going for so long that I had forgotten that it was a mission and all I had to do was export something like 8000 units of fruit/tobacco/coffee.

Meanwhile I was building cathedrals and windmills and god damn military bases :lol

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looks like Shatter for Mac has gone live on Steam, though actually it hasn't really and what is there isn't working. Somewhat of a premature switch was thrown by Valve without us noticing.

In any case, if you want Shatter for Mac, its coming but wait until the end of the week before purchasing.

Just an update on this, existing owners may find they now get access to a Mac build (or soon anyway).

If you don't have it yet, and want it on Mac (or PC), DON'T buy it yet. Hold off another day or two until we can get some discounting/sale stuff sorted.

Things are a little topsy turvy with how this is rolling out, and don't want any potential customers here being disadvantaged.

MRORANGE

shame, I got a stack of CS:GO beta keys and a really nice CS:GO T-shirt out of them last year. I was hoping for some DOTA2 swag this year.

Same, although I have no idea why they showed CS:GO on a PS3, it baffles the mind, I know it's primarily a console convention but still... a mouse for PS3 would have been appreciated.

If I think about it I'll start doing it. I never read those and assume nobody else does either, hah.

Fixed1979

Figured this is as good as a place as any to get Steam tech help. I just purchase a few games and went to install them (all preloads) and it showed my available space as 0. That's fucked up I thought...checked my actual space left on that drive and I was down to just under 100Gb.

Went back to Steam cancelled the preloads and went to my game list and now it shows a bunch of games as not installed. When I try to run them it shows disk space available but asks me to choose a drive to install to. The drop down box only shows options for creating a new steam library in an empty folder...

TLDR: Games show as not installed, games are still on hard drive. How do I fix?

Derrick01

Banned
Damn who would have thought not having enough stupid people would be a problem? How can I get more uneducated workers without destroying schools and shit? I used that ban contraceptives edict to get more people but what's stopping them from just going to the grade/high school/college I have? I currently have too many job openings for uneducated people and not enough of them to go around.

HoosTrax

Damn who would have thought not having enough stupid people would be a problem? How can I get more uneducated workers without destroying schools and shit? I used that ban contraceptives edict to get more people but what's stopping them from just going to the grade/high school/college I have? I currently have too many job openings for uneducated people and not enough of them to go around.
I don't think you can stupefy your populace...

I don't remember it being the case that an unemployed educated worker wouldn't take a menial job. Maybe I never had this issue because I upped the salary for all uneducated job positions.

Taffer

I don't remember it being the case that an unemployed educated worker wouldn't take a menial job.

Yup, they'll take any job available with a preference for higher wages, if there's more jobs than people they'll start to abandon farms/ranches/uneducated whatever to work in the factories. My fix is usually to close off half the job slots in high-school education required buildings and try to grow the population but I remember offering crazy wages at specific farms at one point.

Random SR3 question: I started a mission where you kill a ton of gang members, but it got progressively harder until I had to quit. I realized I had attained a 5-star wanted rating. How am I supposed to keep it down while killing people?

Yup, they'll take any job available with a preference for higher wages, if there's more jobs than people they'll start to abandon farms/ranches/uneducated whatever to work in the factories. My fix is usually to close off half the job slots in high-school education required buildings and try to grow the population but I remember offering crazy wages at specific farms at one point.

There are 6 digit jobs available in western North Dakota right now for people with high school diplomas or not even. The average turnover is 2 weeks and they can't get enough people to do the work. I disagree.

Basement Collection update

4 New games have appeared in the Basement! (kinda sorta)

tumblr_maixjhjth21rq0wgw.jpg

So the basement collection has finally been updated! yay! sorry for the wait, tyler was launching Closure on steam (buy it) and Tommy and i have been working on the next secret Team Meat game… so yeah. anyway we added a ton of new stuff and fixed a few things for ya. here are the details.

Basement collection v1.1 update notes.
-Time Fcuk ch2 Ending Fixed
-Meat Boy Q&A added
-Chest Bonus content added
-Triachnid achievement fixed
-Meat boy achievements can be unlocked again after the first time (in case it misses them)
-Collection unlocks save locally
-Warning message when meatboy/tri achievements break (unfixable flash player related bug, adobe’s fault)
-Correctly handle a few launch-errors (should be no more launch crashing)
-AVGM auto-click-detection enabled, bonus content unlocked for beating inferno mode 16 times in a row

The 4 new games are basically my first 4 games (if you dont count dead baby dressup) all of the games were programmed by Caulder Bradford and part of The Badlands, a series of games i did around Gish time.

The 4 new games are:
Weltling (my 1st finished flash game)
Clubby the Seal (the 1st appearance of Gish)
Dumpling
Weltling 2

all 4 games are now inside “The Chest” as bonus content, they dont play inside the collection but they all have been improved and all ads removed.
XOXO

Xanathus

There are 6 digit jobs available in western North Dakota right now for people with high school diplomas or not even. The average turnover is 2 weeks and they can't get enough people to do the work. I disagree.

You do realize that what they're talking about is in a video game right?

AlexBasch

I just remembered that I randomly bought Tropico 3 when I had nothing else to spend the Summer Sale money on. Should get around to actually play it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Whew, for a second there I thought I was going to lose the "Who's going to push this thread into Community" pool.

HoosTrax

You do realize that what they're talking about is in a video game right?
Fuck me. Thought it was just mad off topic :/
lol I did, too, and edited my reply when I realized he was continuing his conversation from before.
Ok, I know this is Derrick and all, and the first part of his comment could have just been construed as typically cynical political commentary...
I used that ban contraceptives edict
...but seriously guys?

---

I just remembered that I randomly bought Tropico 3 when I had nothing else to spend the Summer Sale money on. Should get around to actually play it.
This might seem counter-intuitive, but I found Tropico 4 a lot easier than 3. Mainly because you can customize your traits to suit your playstyle instead of picking between a small set of traits with upsides/downsides. Also, the new buildings that were introduced in 4 are pretty OP, especially the biofarms.

Ok, I know this is Derrick and all, and the first part of his comment could have just been construed as typically cynical political commentary...

...but seriously guys?

I only read his response!

Also remember we're in america... you know... where the gop thinks that just telling kids not to do it is "birth control". So yeah banning contraceptives not that far fetched.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So, I'm a few hours into RAGE.... Not very good.

Its a linear sandbox. The worst style. Long, tedious treks across the desert. In a poorly handling car. Driving up and down the same few roads you've done for the last 2 dozen times. Getting to a location. Entering into the instance and proceeding to follow its linear path.

Then getting another quest to go back to the same exact fucking place, and doing the same thing over. But this time, its wrecked or reinforced.

I like the shooting, the gadgets, and building items. But they should have either made it a real sandbox game or a linear, corridor shooter. Re-using the same assets and lots of travel makes it get tiring quick.

I'm sure not picking them, Homefront being my last title. Which was more like a 3 hour title, and maybe only half that was playable. Other half was just waiting for scripts to finish or to get caught up. Invisible walls over your route, because you can't proceed till the NPC goes first. >_>

Deadbeat

Banned
were still talking about Tropic 3, right?

...but seriously guys?
I was so confused walking into this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom