• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I don't see the issue here. If the exploit isn't being forced upon you, how does that impact your enjoyment of the game? I could cheat in pretty much any game if I wanted to, whether it's an exploit within the game or something external that can be used. I choose not to however, as it's only ruining my experience.

It ruined my save file, the exploit just became sorta active and I can't do anything about it. Guess I'll start again and never switch ammo while shooting or something

Detox

There's a demo available.
If anyone is remotely interested in to the moon play the demo, if the demo doesn't hook you with the story then it's not for you.

From someone who does this quite often. You have two options. First is to stay on the VPN if you're wanting to play multiplayer. Or secondly, while on the VPN, stick Steam on offline mode and then return back to your normal connection. While it's stuck on offline mode, it'll remain unlocked.

If you unlock the game and return back to a normal connection, the game will no longer work.
Thanks for this, I'll be waiting for it to unlock on Thursday. Very weird decision from 2K, most big games nowadays launch simultaneously with the US.

Sini

Guys, I need help here.

I moved into a dorm 10 days ago. There's an internet connected but I discovered yesterday that Steam wouldn't connect no matter what. I imagine that's there some port blocking going on with the network that makes it impossible for Steam to operate.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm staying here for a whole year, so just giving up on Steam isn't really an option for me...
I use VPN for Steam at my dorm. I don't think there's any other way.

Jubern

I guessed as much... Do you use a paid one or a free one? I don't plan to play online, but I have a lot a single player games I'd like to download just to play offline (I got a new comp right before coming here and didn't thought about being blocked like that...)

Sini

I guessed as much... Do you use a paid one or a free one? I don't plan to play online, but I have a lot a single player games I'd like to download just to play offline (I got a new comp right before coming here and didn't thought about being blocked like that...)
I use https://www.privatetunnel.com/ free trial account. When 100 free megs are used up I just make another account.
Also it's bandwidth counter updates really slowly so I have managed to download almost 800 megs with one trial account few times.

1-D_FTW

Yeah I jacked up the rent by about $5 a month in each housing complex and the service fees in restaurants/pubs by the same. If they're just going to bitch I will make them dirt poor and work them 15 hours a day. I try to be a nice guy but my patience has limits!

Dictatorship's are fueled by fear. Being a nice guy will get your head lopped off.

Just give them Darksiders 2 to play.

And have island productivity grind to a halt as they play the GoTY so far?

I have these 3 Shattered Horizon Guest Passes clogging up my inventory..
Is anyone interested in any number of them? I'll even give you 3 if you want them all.

GAF, why cannot I not uninstall red orchestra ostfront 41-45? It says it's required by redorchestra beta sdk or something which I've never installed or have installed afaik. EDIT: NM deleted the files in the steam folder

Derrick01

Banned
Is there a way in Tropico 3 to manually take people and re-locate them? I'm tired of people making $18+ a month living in shacks that don't pay me any rent and they dirty my town up with their poor-ish looks when there are empty houses and apartment complexes. I doubt it's a rent issues since I have them all set to $7 and $10 respectively.

I know you can manually destroy shacks but they just seem to pop back up in different places with similar people. And those people have the nerve to complain about poor housing. Take the fucking hint and move!

HoosTrax

Is there a way in Tropico 3 to manually take people and re-locate them? I'm tired of people making $18+ a month living in shacks that don't pay me any rent and they dirty my town up with their poor-ish looks when there are empty houses and apartment complexes. I doubt it's a rent issues since I have them all set to $7 and $10 respectively.

I know you can manually destroy shacks but they just seem to pop back up in different places with similar people. And those people have the nerve to complain about poor housing. Take the fucking hint and move!
They won't move in if the shack location makes it more convenient (within reason) for them to get to work. Put garages next to any apartment blocks and another garage next to their place of employment. Also, I don't remember the exact formula, but I think people can spend a maximum of one-third of their salary on rent. If their salary is $18, and you set rent to $7, then they can't move in.

Edit: Oh, and that also holds for how much of their salary they can spend on entertainment - maximum of one-third of their salary. So if you totally jack up the prices at the corner dive bar, they won't be able to visit.

Some of the game mechanics aren't really obvious admittedly. The learning curve in this is still way more gentle than the mindfuck that is Anno 2070 though.

Mareg

Hm, Torchlight II seems to be pre-loading again for about the same size as the first time. Is this how it normally works?

I was wondering the same. It seems to like downloading the same last 300megs over and over again at random intervals. I have manually paused the pre-loading for the time being. It is probably bugged.

Blizzard

Banned
Torchlight 2 and Jet Set Radio are both almost released, right? I can't remember a recent month when I've had this many games I'm actually interested in playing. :p

Bradach

I picked up Splinter Cell: Conviction in the most recent summer sale on steam after having tried it on Xbox 360. I thought, this'll be great in 1080p @ 60 fps. That was not to be it seems, on max settings I get about 15 fps, on min settings I get about 20 fps. I find I hard to believe its just that bad of a port, it's like playing a sideshow. Is there a fix for this or should I just delete it and be more careful with checking these things before buying in future?

(btw my PC is decent and can run BF3 at 1080p @ 60fps so I'm quite sure it's not my hardware)

MDSLKTR

I picked up Splinter Cell: Conviction in the most recent summer sale on steam after having tried it on Xbox 360. I thought, this'll be great in 1080p @ 60 fps. That was not to be it seems, on max settings I get about 15 fps, on min settings I get about 20 fps. I find I hard to believe its just that bad of a port, it's like playing a sideshow. Is there a fix for this or should I just delete it and be more careful with checking these things before buying in future?

(btw my PC is decent and can run BF3 at 1080p @ 60fps so I'm quite sure it's not my hardware)

You're just not in luck. It's one of the worst ubisoft pc ports ever. I remember the problem was the cpu affinity. You can check in the task manager and try to set the affinity for more cores but YMMV. Personally I was able to finish it with my cpu at stock speeds (I got 40-50 fps on high settings like that compared to 20fps/all low and at a lesser resolution when overclocked lol). The game is boring crap tough. I wasn't mad because I got it for cheap and it came with the good splinter cells :)

The Next BIG Thing is the Daily Deal for $7.49

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58570/

header_292x136.jpg

Bradach

You're just not in luck. It's one of the worst ubisoft pc ports ever. I remember the problem was the cpu affinity. You can check in the task manager and try to set the affinity for more cores but YMMV. Personally I was able to finish it with my cpu at stock speeds (I got 40-50 fps on high settings like that compared to 20fps/all low and at a lesser resolution when overclocked lol). The game is boring crap tough. I wasn't mad because I got it for cheap and it came with the good splinter cells :)
Thanks, I'll check out the task master trick

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I had no problems at all getting 60 fps @ 1080p here.

6850, i5 quad 2.8, 4 gigs ram, win7 64

Tomodachi

I just found out that The Next BIG Thing is the official sequel to Hollywood Monsters (it's Hollywood Monsters 2 in Spain). Oh dear, so many memories, that game was awesome in my childhood, I wish I could grab it on GOG or something.

Miker

My old PC (E8400 4.0Ghz, GTX 260 OC) crushed pretty much all UE3 games with no AA, but Conviction only ran about 30-40 fps average, which I don't understand. So, yeah, at least for me, it was a strangely demanding game.

dani_dc

Torchlight 2 and Jet Set Radio are both almost released, right? I can't remember a recent month when I've had this many games I'm actually interested in playing. :p

19th for Jet Set Radio, if I recall there was a "Jet Set Radio Pre-Purchase" added to the registry a few weeks ago, so a bit odd the page it isn't up already.

Very excited about being able to play the game again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I think that amount is a bit too steep for them. Raise their wages a bit more since they still need the extra money for food and entertainment.

You will never be able to truly remove shacks since there will be unemployed, uneducated people, even if they are few. However you can avoid much by building apartments in default rent while raising salaries. For me I think uneducated with salary of 30 should do.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, the third act of Darksiders 2 is so thoroughly mediocre. The game suddenly ditches its enjoyable open-world hack-and-slash/RPG core for a clunky third-person corridor shooter with wave after wave of enemies.

Wow, the third act of Darksiders 2 is so thoroughly mediocre. The game suddenly ditches its enjoyable open-world hack-and-slash/RPG core for a clunky third-person corridor shooter with wave after wave of enemies.

You know that you can kill them with your scythes....

1-D_FTW

Are you talking about the section where you need to shoot with the gun?

I was shocked I had such an easy time with that. Either there was some serious auto-aim occurring with the 360 controller, or playing in 3D allowed me to intuitively aim.

I thought for sure I was going to have to switch to m/k when that section popped up. But I was just jedi blasting everything (so it must have been auto-aim).

My biggest issue with the ending was you could tell they were rushed to get it out the door because the camera kind of when haywire towards the end. Didn't really mind the endless waves, because unlike the first game, I was a hammer wielding God.

Bradach

I had no problems at all getting 60 fps @ 1080p here.

6850, i5 quad 2.8, 4 gigs ram, win7 64

My old PC (E8400 4.0Ghz, GTX 260 OC) crushed pretty much all UE3 games with no AA, but Conviction only ran about 30-40 fps average, which I don't understand. So, yeah, at least for me, it was a strangely demanding game.
I have an AMD X4 3.2 ghz, 560ti, 8 gigs ram, win7(64). I should be able to max this out , right? Or at least be able to get 60fps by turning some stuff down.

Salsa

Worst section of a game I played this gen maybe

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you talking about the section where you need to shoot with the gun?

I was shocked I had such an easy time with that. Either there was some serious auto-aim occurring with the 360 controller, or playing in 3D allowed me to intuitively aim.

I thought for sure I was going to have to switch to m/k when that section popped up. But I was just jedi blasting everything (so it must have been auto-aim).

Yeah, after you arrive
at/on Earth
. It's not difficult (well, unless you allow yourself to be swarmed), but thus far it's just so lazily put together. I'd have preferred it if the game stayed true to its initial roots and just gave you a large open-world chunk to run amok in. Considering the quest asked of you, this would have made far more sense.

Yeah I know that... but I don't know why the people hates the third-person shooter level, it isn't the best level in the game, but it's enjoyable for me!

It'd be a nice change of pace if some effort were put into the level design and TPS mechanics. The map is entirely a straightforward corridor affair with only the occasional slightly open space and when using a gun all you need to do is just spray and pray. This section feels like a halfhearted attempt at change for the sake of change.

this sounds like a great idea, they should totally give that guy who came up with it a raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom