• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Just curious if I use a VPN to unlock BL2 at the US date and then go back to my own connection and stay online in steam will the game remain unlocked?

Nekrono

So I'm about to purchase Borderlands 2 on Steam and I see that it unlocks on the 20th for me for some weird reason.

How would I go about unlocking it on the 18th? Any recommendations on what VPN/program to use?

Edit: Nevermind I just saw the info on how to do it on the performance thread.

Tattooth

How would I go about unlocking it on the 18th? Any recommendations on what VPN/program to use?

EARLY VPN UNLOCK
If your outside US and want to play on 18th you can use a VPN to spoof your IP address and unlock the game. It pretty simple and the risk is minimal if you just want to unlock and play.

1. download free vpn app, install and run (any other vpn tool will work as well)
2. launch steam and click on borderlands 2
3. should go through some checks and if successful unlock the game

Courtesy of the Borderlands 2 PC Performance thread.

allansm

I finished Quantum Conundrum today and I liked the game, although I wouldn't recommend paying more than $7 for it. I'm surprised with the negative opinions I read in this topic, the game is not so bad. I liked the majority of the Puzzles, the dimension shift mechanic is fun, where I think the game fails is in its unnecessary similarities to Portal, like the Narrator, and subsequent lack of personality. In these aspects they should have learned with The Ball, which although a Portal-like game, had a distinct aesthetic, avoiding that "more of the same" feel.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looks like Shatter for Mac has gone live on Steam, though actually it hasn't really and what is there isn't working. Somewhat of a premature switch was thrown by Valve without us noticing.

In any case, if you want Shatter for Mac, its coming but wait until the end of the week before purchasing.

Salsa

so, frustrated with my Vessel issues for now I decided to jump into Mini Ninjas.

It's like wind waker + tenchu. It's actually a pretty great game so far (about 4 hours in) and it looks gorgeous.

2870B47D9F10191A4B0C3690DF0BD3CAA3354495

E5E9AE1294F7872900044BDEE8B76944DFBA50C6

32624408C0736BD2727333FEF26187D7E5C47EA6

Derrick01

Banned
Started playing Tropico 3 which I've had in the backlog for over a year now. I'm slowly getting the hang of it but these people whine more than Gaf does when a game becomes Wii U exclusive. I build everything they want and they cry more!

Sajjaja

Started playing Tropico 3 which I've had in the backlog for over a year now. I'm slowly getting the hang of it but these people whine more than Gaf does when a game becomes Wii U exclusive. I build everything they want and they cry more!

The idea is to be an asshole to them :p

Derrick01

Banned
The idea is to be an asshole to them :p

Yeah I jacked up the rent by about $5 a month in each housing complex and the service fees in restaurants/pubs by the same. If they're just going to bitch I will make them dirt poor and work them 15 hours a day. I try to be a nice guy but my patience has limits!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah I jacked up the rent by about $5 a month in each housing complex and the service fees in restaurants/pubs by the same. If they're just going to bitch I will make them dirt poor and work them 15 hours a day. I try to be a nice guy but my patience has limits!

Just give them Darksiders 2 to play.

so, frustrated with my Vessel issues for now I decided to jump into Mini Ninjas.

It's like wind waker + tenchu. It's actually a pretty great game so far (about 4 hours in) and it looks gorgeous.

I played the demo and thought it was a kids game. I doubt any adult could enjoy it.

HoosTrax

You're going to end up making Betty Boom furious with you.

Salsa

I played the demo and thought it was a kids game. I doubt any adult could enjoy it.

you doubt wrong, for I am not a kid good sir

you could argue the same thing about Wind Waker based on art style alone. Not saying they're comparable in quality because c'mon, but Mini Ninjas is a totally competent platformer/stealth game.

haikira

Just curious if I use a VPN to unlock BL2 at the US date and then go back to my own connection and stay online in steam will the game remain unlocked?

From someone who does this quite often. You have two options. First is to stay on the VPN if you're wanting to play multiplayer. Or secondly, while on the VPN, stick Steam on offline mode and then return back to your normal connection. While it's stuck on offline mode, it'll remain unlocked.

If you unlock the game and return back to a normal connection, the game will no longer work.

Rufus

the boss fights are indeed awful
Once you know what to do they are easy (which can take a while...), but I meant the game in general. Had no desire to go back, even though the environment was about to change drastically. At least, I assume it was from the last loading screen I saw (snow level).
I think it's fair to call it a kids game. Doesn't mean you can't play them as an adult. Like the Lego Star Wars games.

Salsa

I think it's fair to call it a kids game. Doesn't mean you can't play them as an adult. Like the Lego Star Wars games.

oh for sure, I was objecting to the "no adults can enjoy it" part of SniperHunter's post not the "it's a kids game" bit. It does have a similar appeal to the LEGO games (at least for me).

Anyway, Vessel dev got back to me on email:

John Krajewski
00:11 (Hace 6 minutos)

Hm yeah that is annoying. It's not a game breaker though as the puzzles will all still be challenging, it just gives you the option to cheat. Dont do it and you should be fine :) But I'll mark it down for fixing in our next patch, we are absolutely swamped with new projects though so it should be awhile, will try to get it in the XBox and PS3 builds though. Thanks man

doesnt look like the bug's gonna be fixed any time soon but I guess we could hope for a PC update along the release of the console versions.

game seems too interesting to just not play it because of the bug so i'll give it another shot tomorrow or so. It still bums me out dammit and I think it's a shame in what otherwise feels like a superb game so far but oh well :b

A good portion of the puzzles in Vessel give you unlimited liquid supplies anyway. They become much more about guiding the fluoros to switches.

Salsa

A good portion of the puzzles in Vessel give you unlimited liquid supplies anyway. They become much more about guiding the fluoros to switches.

yeah, that's nice to hear. Just a shame that it gives you the chance to break something like the upgrade system, wich from what ive seen aint much but still. It always bums me out when I see a game like this with one super obvious bug that for some reason goes overlooked, but eh

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
now say that in 1994
To be honest, I was never a fan of that genre :p
The only top-down RPG's I liked were the Pokemon games (gens 1 and 2).

I should still check it out sometime, if it's as good as TouchMyBox says. Maybe as part of an indie bundle, I'm not sure.

Blizzard

Banned
To be honest, I was never a fan of that genre :p
The only top-down RPG's I liked were the Pokemon games (gens 1 and 2).

I should still check it out sometime, if it's as good as TouchMyBox says. Maybe as part of an indie bundle, I'm not sure.
Bear in mind, if I understand correctly, it's more of an interactive story than a "traditional" battle RPG like Pokemon or Final Fantasy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah I just saw that, thank you.

The OP now links to TunnelBear, but I just posted this in the thread:

OP, TunnelBear stopped working with Steam quite some time ago now; use Spotflux instead. I'd also add an addendum mentioning that although Valve hasn't been known to restrict the accounts of those who use a VPN for reasons other than giving the middle finger to regional pricing, using a VPN at all is, technically, against the SSA. While many of us here (myself included) have been unlocking games early and activating region-locked keys with no issues whatsoever, I think it's fair to inform newcomers that, strictly speaking, there's an oh-so-slight element of risk involved.

Which region do I ideally want a VPN in for Borderlands 2?

US. The game unlocks in a little under 24 hours.

Bear in mind, if I understand correctly, it's more of an interactive story than a "traditional" battle RPG like Pokemon or Final Fantasy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

You're correct. The gameplay consists of light puzzle solving and walking around collecting orbs. It's only there as a device to move the plot forward, which is the main focus of the experience (and it's fantastic).

Gintoki

Looks like Shatter for Mac has gone live on Steam, though actually it hasn't really and what is there isn't working. Somewhat of a premature switch was thrown by Valve without us noticing.

In any case, if you want Shatter for Mac, its coming but wait until the end of the week before purchasing.

Yea, I noticed it on my Mac game list. I thought it'll be steamplay when it was on sale.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You're correct. The gameplay consists of light puzzle solving and walking around collecting orbs. It's only there as a device to move the plot forward, which is the main focus of the experience (and it's fantastic).
Mmm maybe I've been to quick to judge the game, it never hurts to ask for opinions. I'll wait for a sale and in the meantime watch some gameplay videos.

I'd say posting on GAF has more RPG elements than the game, it's pretty much an interactive story.
+10 exp for the comment, it made me laugh. I have to say, I'm more interested than before now that I know it's not a traditional RPG.

Mmm maybe I've been to quick to judge the game, it never hurts to ask for opinions. I'll wait for a sale and in the meantime watch some gameplay videos.

+10 exp for the comment, it made me laugh. I have to say, I'm more interested than before now that I know it's not a traditional RPG.

Haha, I thought your original post was a joke about how it was made with RPG Maker.

doesnt look like the bug's gonna be fixed any time soon but I guess we could hope for a PC update along the release of the console versions.

game seems too interesting to just not play it because of the bug so i'll give it another shot tomorrow or so. It still bums me out dammit and I think it's a shame in what otherwise feels like a superb game so far but oh well :b
I don't see the issue here. If the exploit isn't being forced upon you, how does that impact your enjoyment of the game? I could cheat in pretty much any game if I wanted to, whether it's an exploit within the game or something external that can be used. I choose not to however, as it's only ruining my experience.

On an unrelated note, I used to live out in the country so my internet was rather dismal. This is what I was using:
2140578820.png

Now I've moved and my ISP has recently done some work at the exchange, so I was able to upgrade to this:
2184223301.png

I know most of the people here have a lot faster internet, but yeah, it's pretty amazing to me. I went from needing to leave my computer online overnight to download one game ("AAA") to being able to download a game in a couple of hours.

RedSwirl

Is there a way to get the Wolfenstein 3D total conversion to boot through Steam? It has to boot from the batch file and has to be kept in a folder separate from the dosbox executable that the Steam version of Wolfenstein boots from. And as far as I know you can't add a batch file as its own Steam shortcut.

Jubern

Guys, I need help here.

I moved into a dorm 10 days ago. There's an internet connected but I discovered yesterday that Steam wouldn't connect no matter what. I imagine that's there some port blocking going on with the network that makes it impossible for Steam to operate.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm staying here for a whole year, so just giving up on Steam isn't really an option for me...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a way to get the Wolfenstein 3D total conversion to boot through Steam? It has to boot from the batch file and has to be kept in a folder separate from the dosbox executable that the Steam version of Wolfenstein boots from. And as far as I know you can't add a batch file as its own Steam shortcut.

Converting it to an exe should do the trick.

Mini Ninjas is one of those games I stare at every sale, waiting to strike but never actually making good on it. Wheelman was the previous top slot, but I waited too long on that and it's gone forever now... I am so sorry Vin.

I won't let that to happen with Mini Ninjas. Thanks for the lovely screens Salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom