• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

backlog is another story. I was just addressing that comment which made no mention of one so if it was somewhere else then I apologize. It made it look like he/she was waiting just because it's guaranteed to go down in price.

Well it did begin with MMC's post and how he blamed this mentality on backlogs. I'm pretty sure everyone here who's developed the bunker mentality has a lengthy backlog of top tier titles.

But that's just the result of the average game being better than at anytime in gaming history. It's easy to build a massive backlog, because there are just more good games than time to play.

My mentality would certainly be different if there were only 4 or 5 titles released a year that were worth playing. But since it's not, only way I'm paying 50 or 60 dollars is if it's a top tier multi-player game that has incentive to jump to the top of the backlog.

Branson

Speaking if Max Payne I have been trying to get through it because I want to play MP3. It's truly a game of its time. Yeeesh

Of*

Is the TF2 Freedom Staff tied specifically to the purchase of the Total War Master Collection or will those who own all the included games, either prior to the sale or as a result of recently purchasing just the missing titles (but not the Collection itself), also receive it?

You have to buy the collection, not just own all the games.

Which is super lame (I can't even buy the collection, Steam won't let me). There's a large discussion on the Steam forums about it, and I actually complained to support about how dumb the whole thing is. My account is entirely locked out from getting the promo, Steam won't even let me buy the stupid pack for no reason just to get the Staff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Which is super lame (I can't even buy the collection, Steam won't let me). There's a large discussion on the Steam forums about it, and I actually complained to support about how dumb the whole thing is. My account is entirely locked out from getting the promo, Steam won't even let me buy the stupid pack for no reason just to get the Staff.

Figured as much. Boo-urns.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is one of the reasons that Steam is so amazing:

https://www.facebook.com/homehorror/posts/382066261867596

TL;DR: Toronto dev/rad dude Ben Rivers makes a game called HOME. Steam accepts it and it generates enough revenue for Ben to break the shackles of client work and make games as a living.

If you haven't seen/tried HOME, it's $3 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/215670/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Awesome story. I love reading these kind of success stories.

JaseC

Yea, it's unlike other promos they've done where if you owned everything you still got the item (like the 2011 Quakecon sale)

And I believe even in this sale those who already owned, for example, Rome: TW, received its promo items, so the Staff being an exception is definitely odd.

I have the perfect solution for you. Buy the pack, gift it to me and I shall very graciously give you the staff :D

TL;DR: Toronto dev/rad dude Ben Rivers makes a game called HOME. Steam accepts it and it generates enough revenue for Ben to break the shackles of client work and make games as a living.

If you haven't seen/tried HOME, it's $3 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/215670/?snr=1_7_suggest__13
It's always awesome to read stories like this.

Lorne Lanning talked about DD on Eurogamer yesterday and said that they make as much profit ($7) on a copy sold self-published through DD at $10 as they made on full priced retail copies at $60.

DD is pretty much awesome for everyone.

I'd buy more games at or near launch if there was some price parity between the US an Europe. Spending 50€ (63$) on a new game is just too high for me. Make 40€ the standard and we'll talk.
40€ on release is pretty much a reality already for PC games though.

I'd buy more games at or near launch if there was some price parity between the US an Europe. Spending 50€ (63$) on a new game is just too high for me. Make 40€ the standard and we'll talk.

Got the game day one. \o/ So glad he's successful!

Nabs

He has an account here and posted a bit when Home came out. I'm happy for him, I really liked Home and thought he was really smart for releasing it at the price he did. Lots of impulse buys.

Also how did the steam critter crunch launch go for you guys? Are you bathing in money yet?

Tomodachi

I'm very happy for him. I actually enjoyed Home and I really hope to see more games from this guy in the future, building on the experience his first game (it had so much potential not fully developed, but for a first work and this kind of budget it was very good indeed).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But what if this success means that he becomes overwhelmingly cynical like Jonathan Blow? Do we bear the guilt for his transformation?

These are things that we need to think about in this Indie Gaming Future™.

HoosTrax

He has an account here and posted a bit when Home came out. I'm happy for him, I really liked Home and thought he was really smart for releasing it at the price he did. Lots of impulse buys.

Also how did the steam critter crunch launch go for you guys? Are you bathing in money yet?
I don't think Critter Crunch got very high on the chart. It's the type of game that would really benefit from a demo.

Hell, I had multiple people on my friends list who were familiar with it and recommended it, but even I was hesitant to buy it without a demo (although I did cave eventually and enjoyed the game).

It did ok, but we still can't afford gold helicopters yet.

I don't think Critter Crunch got very high on the chart. It's the type of game that would really benefit from a demo.

Hell, I had multiple people on my friends list who were familiar with it and recommended it, but even I was hesitant to buy it without a demo (although I did cave eventually and enjoyed the game).

Thanks for commenting re: demo - we're considering adding one.

Blizzard

Banned
But what if this success means that he becomes overwhelmingly cynical like Jonathan Blow? Do we bear the guilt for his transformation?

These are things that we need to think about in this Indie Gaming Future™.
Truly, indie devs must strive to stay in the proper zone.

/ \
--- Too Indie
\ /

"Notch who? I've never heard of him."

/ \
--- Optimal Indie Zone
\ /

"Indie devs are awesome, this guy needs more support"

/ \
--- Becoming Cool Enough For Backlash
\ /

"Wow, he's been really successful, I don't really understand why everyone digs that game."

/ \
--- Too Successful
\ /

"Ugh, yet another thread on Notch/Blow/whoever, their games are so pretentious, swimming pools of money, and they didn't live up to their promises, I really can't stand those guys."

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I start to lose interest in an indie dev when they start talking about things that aren't the game they are working on or a game they built previously.

The second they bring up games made by anyone else or any other developer or something principle related, I start to wonder why their opinion is now needed on these things and why they are showing up in the high quality games journalism I read.

I start to lose interest in an indie dev when they start talking about things that aren't the game they are working on or a game they built previously.

The second they bring up games made by anyone else or any other developer or something principle related, I start to wonder why their opinion is now needed on these things and why they are showing up in the high quality games journalism I read.

too obvious

Aaron

Home is a great game that's more than worth the asking price, though I'm surprised that a pretty humble game did so well on a service that has so many bigger and flashier titles. Now I don't expect it outsold Skyrim, but I thought it would just get buried and forgotten under the weight of the heavy hitters.

Gintoki

Today's daily deal will be Snuggle Truck, which is also getting a new update. Previous owners of the game will get an extra copy. Seems they worded it wrong on their site.

brony_mode_title_wide.png

snuggle_brony_scrn1.jpg

JaseC

What a coincidence; I just read that the PC version offers the option to switch to the original Smuggle Truck vision for the game, which renewed my interest (not that I'll play it :p).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Today's daily deal will be Snuggle Truck, which is also getting a new update. Previous owners of the game will get an extra copy. Seems they worded it wrong on their site.

Is there any way I can disown a game from my account?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How can that be brony mode when they got the marks at the wrong position and one of them is a giraffe!

Max Payne - Part III Prologue

come. the. fuck. on. this is the last shitty platforming level, right?

Part II otherwise was very cool. Especially the showdown in the manor, fantastic.

Is anyone having a problem when they launch steam? For me, the first time always fails, either displaying a "could not connect" error or simply not even starting, which means I have to go kill the process.

Always works fine the second time, though.

Blizzard

Banned
Is anyone having a problem when they launch steam? For me, the first time always fails, either displaying a "could not connect" error or simply not even starting, which means I have to go kill the process.

That nearly always happens for me too, as of the last few months.

MRORANGE

Had this problem a month ago, was really annoying. I thought it was a bug, seems fixed for me now.

That is great news. Can't wait to see what he's working on next. I plan on playing through it again, probably numerous times in a row, for Halloween.

MRORANGE

Super Competition Time!

To win:

- Quote the game (just list the name of the game ) eg: [QUOTE][b]Crysis[/b][/QUOTE] (you can quote up to 3 games (get chance of winning one of them))
- Write about your opinion of Valve/Steam over the past few years, it can be negative (100 words min, so we don't end up spamming too much)
- Winners chosen at random-ish / based on written work, competition closes 22 hours 5 hours from this post.

Only enter if you do not own the game already.
I might use your views in another thread.
DO NOT QUOTE THE WHOLE POST!, read above on how to quote!

The prize pool:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yo is that Brony mode for Snuggle Truck real? If so, please get that game the fuck off my account.

There should be rules against devs trojan horsing shit on to your account that way.

Salsa

neat, i'd get Jet Set Radio, thanks orangeduder

opinion on Steam, lets get zerious:

I think this has been pretty much the start of a breaking point for Steam, a first step into bigger things. As everyone know we got to the point where the PC is "hot" again as consoles become more stagnant in their hardware, and Valve obviously took advantage of this by moving forward with their more ambitious projects, such as Big Picture Mode and the recent talk of being involved in Hardware manufacturing in some way.

The way they've went about this pretty much assures that the PC will again have an active spot alongside next-gen consoles, and it is unlikely that it'll "fall behind" again. Furthermore, given their plans, it might have a spot literally alongside your console right under your TV.

This, along with Greenlight, proves that Valve are thinking in even bigger things and have 0 plans to stop anytime soon. So in the end it has probably been the most exciting year for Steam since it's conception. And that's pretty damn cool. Exciting times mang.

Also HL3 next year so that's cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom