• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I would honestly jump at 50% I was hoping for it to on sale at that price, during the summer sale.

I'll give you a small tip: If it drops to 50%... WAIT. Just wait a few hours and read what people have to say about the patch.

Gvaz

Banned
I think more than that. Dishonored is already going for like 42$ on some key sites, and the game isn't even out yet.

Still way too high for me to bite on. I'm waiting for $20 or lower.

graywolf323

I think more than that. Dishonored is already going for like 42$ on some key sites, and the game isn't even out yet.

Still way too high for me to bite on. I'm waiting for $20 or lower.

I wouldn't use key sites as a basis for guessing what a Steam sale on a game might end up being

at $20 or lower you'll be waiting until Christmas 2013 most likely if not longer unless the game bombs big time

KarmaCow

I got AC:GotY Edition from that GetGames deal but I'd rather not use their downloader. Is there anywhere I can download it, preferably one that doesn't want to download 18 gigs? IIRC, AA was 12GB on disk, but the download was only 7GB through GFWL.

Derrick01

Banned
Debating getting Alpha Protocol from GMG for 8 bucks. Regret not getting it when it was the daily for like 2 bucks or whatever. lol

It's worth a lot more. It's one of the most interesting and unique RPGs of the generation. Combat is reaaaally janky but the rest of the gameplay is good and unique. You can explore each environment and find intel for groups and characters that can give bonuses or hidden speech choices during conversations as well as finding more gadgets and gear. The conversation system is what Mass Effect wishes it was and the story and writing is typical A+ Obsidian material. Lots of branching story paths and conversations.

wazoo

nope.

game really needs to go on sale on Steam.

Capcom games go for 50% off in steam sales or 75% in gamersgate (with securom). So everybody dismiss the 75% drop on the DRM version and the 50% (not enough) Steam version, then Capcom complains on poor PC sales and make Dragon Dogma console exclusive.

everybody cries.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the TF2 Freedom Staff tied specifically to the purchase of the Total War Master Collection or will those who own all the included games, either prior to the sale or as a result of recently purchasing just the missing titles (but not the Collection itself), also receive it?

MNC

Its pretty sad more and more people are only willing to pay around 20 bucks...

I blame backlogs. Honestly it makes it less attractive to buy new games all the time!

re: Max Payne 1

who in their right mind thought the nightmare level at the beginning of part 2 was a good idea? And after that a stealth level with controls that don't lend themselves to stealth at all. After an awesome first part, part two is pretty shit so far :(

I blame backlogs. Honestly it makes it less attractive to buy new games all the time!

If anything my backlog reminds me that I don't need to spend as so much cash on a game I don't want to play right now.

Salsa

who in their right mind thought the nightmare level at the beginning of part 2 was a good idea? And after that a stealth level with controls that don't lend themselves to stealth at all. After an awesome first part, part two is pretty shit so far :(

different times

Hypron

I wouldn't really call that a "stealth level". You're unarmed for only around a minute, you've got a couple of weapons laying in a room not far from where you start. You could probably rush there without even attempting to be stealthy if you kept on rolling to the side (the roll makes you almost invincible) if you wanted to.

ArjanN

The nightmare mazes were a pain in the ass in Max Payne 1.

That's the only fault I can think of the game.

When I replayed the game not too long ago I was surprised how easy and short they really are, giving how much people complain about them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Debating getting Alpha Protocol from GMG for 8 bucks. Regret not getting it when it was the daily for like 2 bucks or whatever. lol
I'm really late but yeah, it's more than worth that price and much more. It's rough around pretty much all the edges, but it's got ambition like you wouldn't believe, and it's Mass Effect (as far as decision making goes) done right.

MRORANGE

ever had that weird moment that you've spent so long on Steam so that you ended up in the wrong lecture at the wrong time?

yeah.....

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/TOz32.png[/IMG]

*crickets*

oh well another two hour wait then :|

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

There's no way to afford every game you want at launch at $50-$60 unless you're wealthy or your tastes are limited.

1-D_FTW

different times

It was immediately regarded as an infamously bad decision.

well if you can afford a pc....

In all honesty it depnds on the user.

Maybe for guys who are popping in 1200 dollars worth of video cards ever year or so. Computers aren't expensive compared to games. If you were to buy everything day one, you'd spend multiple times your computers worth every year. It doesn't help that PC games have zero resale value. As far as I'm concerned, that's the trade off publishers make for making things be DD only. Anything else would rightly be rejected by consumers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Why should I pay more on purpose, if I can get the same games for less?

Wait till you get to the
"Put out my flames with gasoline"
level, then tell us how that second part is redeemed.

When I replayed the game not too long ago I was surprised how easy and short they really are, giving how much people complain about them.
They're only hard on your first playthrough. I had to use a guide for
the labyrinth, turns out all you had to do was go left at every turn
. It's stuff like that that makes them complicated the first time, once you know the tricks you'll finish them quickly and easily.

PaulLFC

Well if the games are Steamworks here (UK) it works out well, because it's virtually guaranteed the game will be half price within a couple of weeks of being released, unless it's FIFA, COD or an Elder Scrolls game.

PaulLFC

Because you can play them without waiting months. I guess if you put so little value into the hobby then it's easy to do that but I won't do that for good looking games.
It depends where he lives though, as I said over here it's more like a couple of weeks, not months.

Blizzard

Banned
Everyone's different. Personally, if it's a game I'm really interested in, and there's a preorder discount for say, $45 instead of $50, or $35 instead of $40, I'm relatively happy paying that (unless the game is supposed to have a bunch of paid DLC or whatever). If I recall correctly, I bought Skyrim day 1 and didn't regret that ($50 or close to it).

However, if a game is $60 with no preorder discount, like Dishonoured, I'm afraid I'm exceedingly likely to wait for a sale. I guess over $50 is just my personal price point where I'm like "Surely it's possibly to 'sell' digital-distribution PC game licenses for less than this and still keep a company afloat". Perhaps I'm wrong there.

On the flip side, if it's a game that is retails for $20-30 or a company/game setup that seems to have consumer-friendly pricing or practices, I'd say I'm much more likely to buy the game day 1 even if I don't play it. I seem to recall buying STALKER: Call of Pripyat day 1 for that reason, since they gave people who owned the previous games a discount on the sequel, and I like to encourage that sort of thing.

Ledsen

Because you can play them without waiting months. I guess if you put so little value into the hobby then it's easy to do that but I won't do that for good looking games.

If you have 50+ awesome games in your backlog, spending $60 on a new game isn't "putting value into the hobby", it's a waste of money.

PaulLFC

If you have 50+ awesome games in your backlog, spending $60 on a new game isn't "putting value into the hobby", it's a waste of money.
This too. I have FIFA, PES, Darksiders II, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 and Sleeping Dogs, and those are just my recent purchases. The only one I've had time to play more than a few hours is Sleeping Dogs. I also have FM2013 on preorder with the discount at GMG. I'm interested in Dishono(u)red, but I wouldn't get to play it for months at this rate, so I might as well wait until it's cheaper.

Derrick01

Banned

backlog is another story. I was just addressing that comment which made no mention of one so if it was somewhere else then I apologize. It made it look like he/she was waiting just because it's guaranteed to go down in price.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It depends where he lives though, as I said over here it's more like a couple of weeks, not months.
Yes, but for different reasons. Here, everything that's priced in dollars costs 6 times more than in USA or Europe, so I can't be trigger-happy when buying full priced games. I'd rather wait a little and avoid spending a tenth of my salary on a game, specially when I already have a huge backlog, and won't play it till a later date. That's why sites like GMG are great, you can buy new games for half the price, and play them day one. It's not cheap for me, but reasonable enough.

And don't forget that there aren't a whole bunch of games worth the $60 tag, so that's another reason to wait for a discount.

backlog is another story. I was just addressing that comment which made no mention of one so if it was somewhere else then I apologize. It made it look like he/she was waiting just because it's guaranteed to go down in price.
No, you're right. I didn't mention backlog in my previous comment, so your reply wasn't wrong. Actually, I think if there's a game I'm desperate to play, and I didn't have anything else to pla, I could pay full price instead of waiting for a price drop. But I'd still prefer getting them from sites like Amazon or GMG, which usually have some kind of sale on preorders.

ShaneB

Agreed... I really want to get X-com day 1, but I'm at a point where I've got so many games in my backlog (which now includes Alpha Protocol which I think I'll start playing shortly), buying anything near full price just doesn't make any sense. So I'm trying to hold off until perhaps the christmas sales where I can get a few titles for 20/25$

garath

Everyone's different. Personally, if it's a game I'm really interested in, and there's a preorder discount for say, $45 instead of $50, or $35 instead of $40, I'm relatively happy paying that (unless the game is supposed to have a bunch of paid DLC or whatever). If I recall correctly, I bought Skyrim day 1 and didn't regret that ($50 or close to it).

However, if a game is $60 with no preorder discount, like Dishonoured, I'm afraid I'm exceedingly likely to wait for a sale. I guess over $50 is just my personal price point where I'm like "Surely it's possibly to 'sell' digital-distribution PC game licenses for less than this and still keep a company afloat". Perhaps I'm wrong there.

On the flip side, if it's a game that is retails for $20-30 or a company/game setup that seems to have consumer-friendly pricing or practices, I'd say I'm much more likely to buy the game day 1 even if I don't play it. I seem to recall buying STALKER: Call of Pripyat day 1 for that reason, since they gave people who owned the previous games a discount on the sequel, and I like to encourage that sort of thing.

Your mentality exactly matches mine.

It would have to be a game I am beyond anticipating for me to spend the full $60 at release. Too many other games are coming out discounted (Sleeping dogs, Borderlands 2) or are just a lower price point to begin with (Torchlight 2, any FTP game). There's no reason to spend $60 on a digitally distributed game. I hope competition and consumer purchasing habits keep encouraging publishers to come out at a lower price for digitally distributed games but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll wait for the first Dishonored sale before I pick it up. Until then I'll be busy with Torchlight 2, Borderlands, League of Legends and any other games I'll pick up discounted between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom