• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost at 100 hours in Borderlands 2. Beat the game twice, once with a Gunzerker and once with a Siren. About a third of the way through True Vault Hunter Mode with the Siren. And just created a Commando and Assassin to play with friends who just started playing Borderlands 2 recently. Yeah, this game is alright.

Man, I wish the game had me hooked like that. I've got a little over fifty hours into it and that's spread around on various characters. None of them are doing anything for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd probably be enjoying Borderlands 2 a lot more if Gearbox didn't limit the base game to just 27 inventory slots in what I assume is a misguided attempt to make the DLC expansions appear that little bit more attractive.

I'm playing AssCreed BroHood, and I found that the UPlay app clashes with the Steam overlay so much that removing the Steam overlay takes my FPS from a shaky 30-~60 to a solid 60, and upwards of 120 w/o V-Sync.

Ugh.

How is the framerate when on the map screen in BroHood? I ask because in AC2, and much like the PS3 version, it's about 10fps, and I can't remember if the PS3 version of BroHood fixed this.

Man, I wish the game had me hooked like that. I've got a little over fifty hours into it and that's spread around on various characters. None of them are doing anything for me.

I just played it 3 hours and thats it. T2 hooked me more then B2. B2 is a good game but T2 is better in my opinion.

I'd probably be enjoying Borderlands 2 a lot more if Gearbox didn't limit the base game to just 27 inventory slots in what I assume is a misguided attempt to make the DLC expansions appear that little bit more attractive.

How is the framerate when on the map screen in BroHood? I ask because in AC2, and much like the PS3 version, it's about 10fps.

Lemme find out...

Results:

acbspstuck.jpg

:3

Have you tried re-spec-ing any of the characters? I find all of them pretty fun to be honest although I've spent the least amount of time using Axton and Zero. My Salvador is level 34 running a hybrid of Brawn (for health buffs and damage debuffs) and Rampage (for all of the Gunzerking abilities) and all of Maya's skillpoints are invested in the Motion tree (minus Thought Lock so far). Salvador's fun to run around as and just wreck shit Gunzerking for as long and as frequently as possible. Maya can control the flow of almost any encounter and can dominate in most standard mobs, although she falls short on the larger bosses. Phaselock, hoover a bunch of enemies into one space, throw an AoE grenade and watch all of those numbers spam your screen and just keep climbing.

I don't really understand this complaint. I mean I keep two to three extra element weapons for use in my inventory and the rest is just kruft for selling. Money is so easy to come by that I stopped hoovering every bit of loot that drops in the field and dungeons. If it's a white or even green drop, I don't even pay it any mind. Also the vendor stations are liberally spaced through a level so it's usually pretty easy to offload whatever crap you've found and won't use.

The only thing that bugs me is I wish the cross character bank was larger. Kind of have to juggle between that and the Crimson Raider safe per character.

JaseC

Lemme find out...

Results:

:3

I just discovered the map screen doesn't kill the framerate in AC2, so the sluggishness is the result of something else. Maybe it's a design decision. :p

I don't really understand this complaint. I mean I keep two to three extra element weapons for use in my inventory and the rest is just kruft for selling. Money is so easy to come by that I stopped hoovering every bit of loot that drops in the field and dungeons. If it's a white or even green drop, I don't even pay it any mind. Also the vendor stations are liberally spaced through a level so it's usually pretty easy to offload whatever crap you've found and won't use.

The only thing that bugs me is I wish the cross character bank was larger. Kind of have to juggle between that and the Crimson Raider safe per character.

But I like to collect everything and sell it off later. :p Borderlands 2 presents itself as a lootwhore game but severely restricts the inventory of the player, far more than the original (27 total slots versus a total of 42 in Playthrough 1 and a total of 57 in Playthrough 2, excluding DLC). Also, in some levels it's entirely possible for you to discover that enemies have respawned when you find yourself overburdened and are required to run back to the beginning of the level to sell off your unwanted loot. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the enemy respawn time seems to be about 10 IRL minutes, and while respawned enemies don't particularly bother me (more experience and more loot, after all), I nonetheless think said respawn time is a little too low.

Does this affect Brotherhood only? Or is AC2 & Revelations in the same boat with the Steam Overlay frame loss.

AC2 and ACR both run fine for me, however the former has an utterly broken LOD system that, for example, sees shadows switching between different detail levels and popping in/out even as you stand still. I can't speak to the PC port of Brotherhood since I haven't played it just yet.

Have you tried re-spec-ing any of the characters? I find all of them pretty fun to be honest although I've spent the least amount of time using Axton and Zero. My Salvador is level 34 running a hybrid of Brawn (for health buffs and damage debuffs) and Rampage (for all of the Gunzerking abilities) and all of Maya's skillpoints are invested in the Motion tree (minus Thought Lock so far). Salvador's fun to run around as and just wreck shit Gunzerking for as long and as frequently as possible. Maya can control the flow of almost any encounter and can dominate in most standard mobs, although she falls short on the larger bosses. Phaselock, hoover a bunch of enemies into one space, throw an AoE grenade and watch all of those numbers spam your screen and just keep climbing.

Yeah, and I don't see anything wrong with the characters themselves it's just I haven't found them as fun as the people from the first game. Axton is too much like Roland, Salvador feels like Brick only instead of rampaging with melee he pulls out a second gun, Maya's Phaselock isn't as fun to use as Lilith's Phasewalk was, and Zer0 is my favorite of the bunch but his skill doesn't get fun until you have enough points to fully use a tree but by then the game's difficulty ramps up and melee isn't the smartest thing to do.

Gaige will be a pet class and that's something I love in RPG's so I'm hoping I get attached to her.

Bradach

Anyone know if we'll be getting the glorious steam voucher credit card things here in Euroland anytime soon? They would be great for Christmas presents

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Updated drivers? Downgraded drivers? Verified cache? All the other obvious questions?
I'll update drivers today. I don't think verifying the cache will do anything, but I'll try it anyway. Do you think I could ask for a refund in GMG if nothing works?

JaseC

I'll update drivers today. I don't think verifying the cache will do anything, but I'll try it anyway. Do you think I could ask for a refund in GMG if nothing works?

I don't think you'll have much luck with a refund request seeing as you would have a used a code of some sort to download the Sniper Challenge.

Winners:

It's done! here are the winners, I've also listed how many people who have entered for each one, Jet Set Radio with 28 entries and Magicka only gaining 1 :lol

It's kinda weird but I do agree with all the points that people have raised about Steam, even some of the critical one's I have awarded a game, others were just chosen at random, depending on how many people wanted it.

If you are not on my friends list, send a PM so I can give you the game, thanks for joining in everyone!

=======================
Game: (No. of entrants for that game)
Winner:
=========================

Mirror's Edge (10)
CrunchyFrog

Groovy, much obliged sir. PM sent.

Stitch

Gold Member
I wish the devs would add back the original mode to snuggle truck where you smuggle mexicans. :D

oh well, panda mode is good too.

Alienups

@Alienups, it's been gone for quite some time
more info here

Atari no longer have the rights to DND. Which means that that game can no longer be sold by them. This is what is wrong with game rights - see Ferrari game no longer being sold by SEGA (Outrun?) and now can't be purchased even if you wanted to.. Surely the game was made by SEGA during the time that they bought the rights for the products during that time.. but they must sign stupid contracts that says they can only sell the games for the duration of the license..

If you have a license for a game during a time period - you should have exclusive rights to that for that time period -> though I guess this protects company's making subsequent games that are crapper and people just continuing to buy the original - because that's good for everyone right?

Argh.. This annoys me with music in original tv series as well, that get released on dvd and all of a sudden it needs new music :/ nevermind the fact that they've just destroyed the original feel of the show - and defeated the memories that people wanted to reignite by buying and watching the original series. *sigh*

Goddamn, dunno where to find a copy now. Cheers for the replies.

Yeah, that's my problem with the game right now. I'm really not clicking with any of the characters. I loved Mordecai in Borderlands 1. Zero, on the other hand...

The characters take a while to get an identity when it comes to their abilities. Everyone is the same for the first five levels, and even after you start getting points, you won't really see the various classes differentiating themselves until much later. I'd say it starts to become apparent around level 15 or 20. I think Gearbox could have designed the trees somewhat differently to let players reach (or get close to) the bottom ability at the end of the first playthrough. As it stands, it takes about half of the tree to be filled up before you really start to feel the effects of your skill point distribution into that skill tree.

Joe Molotov

The characters take a while to get an identity when it comes to their abilities. Everyone is the same for the first five levels, and even after you start getting points, you won't really see the various classes differentiating themselves until much later. I'd say it starts to become apparent around level 15 or 20. I think Gearbox could have designed the trees somewhat differently to let players reach (or get close to) the bottom ability at the end of the first playthrough. As it stands, it takes about half of the tree to be filled up before you really start to feel the effects of your skill point distribution into that skill tree.

I think they shouldn't have waited until Lv. 5 to give you skill points, or at least should have given you 5 skill points at Lv. 5. It takes too damn long to start filling out your skill tree.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You could still explain your situation and ask for a refund. No harm in trying. I don't think your chances are that bad.
I wouldn't mind if they gave me back $30 instead of the $34 I paid for the game, like saying I bought Sniper Challenge for 4 bucks.

JaseC

I wouldn't mind if they gave me back $30 instead of the $34 I paid for the game, like saying I bought Sniper Challenge for 4 bucks.

You'd certainly have a higher chance of success if you requested a partial refund. Couldn't hurt to try. In the meantime, you can scour Google for possible solutions. The most common cause for early crashes in the game seems to be Crossfire, although I'm not familiar with your specs so I don't know if the remedy of disabling it is applicable here.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You'd certainly have a higher chance of success if you requested a partial refund. Couldn't hurt to try. In the meantime, you can scour Google for possible solutions. The most common cause for early crashes in the game seems to be Crossfire, although I'm not familiar with your specs so I don't know if the remedy of disabling it is applicable here.
Yup, did it, and nothing useful came up. My PC is rather outdated, an Athlon 7750 X2 (dual-core, 2.7 GHz), a single GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512 MB VRAM) and 3 GB of RAM.

I'll try updating the video drivers tonight, as you said before, and hope it'll fix the problem.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Winners:

It's done! here are the winners, I've also listed how many people who have entered for each one, Jet Set Radio with 28 entries and Magicka only gaining 1 :lol

It's kinda weird but I do agree with all the points that people have raised about Steam, even some of the critical one's I have awarded a game, others were just chosen at random, depending on how many people wanted it.

If you are not on my friends list, send a PM so I can give you the game, thanks for joining in everyone!

=======================
Game: (No. of entrants for that game)
Winner:
=========================

Mirror's Edge (10)
CrunchyFrog

Just Cause 2 (3)
Wario64

Poker Night at the Inventory (7)
Stumpokapow

Crysis (10)
Xeno_Flux2113

Magicka (1)
Demon Lizardman

Home (13)
Fireblend

Kung Fu Strike - The Warrior's Rise (4)
Sajjaja

Renegade Ops (4)
ochobit

Jet Set Radio (28)
Tomodachi

Rome: Total War (4)
Jables Swan

Eh, it's probably for the best that I didn't win. With the backlog of games I have now, and trying to divide my gaming time between a half dozen games currently, I'm not sure I could fit a new one in, LOL!

Thanks for the chance MMORANGE. Cool contest.

Derrick01

Banned
Almost at 100 hours in Borderlands 2. Beat the game twice, once with a Gunzerker and once with a Siren. About a third of the way through True Vault Hunter Mode with the Siren. And just created a Commando and Assassin to play with friends who just started playing Borderlands 2 recently. Yeah, this game is alright.

I don't know how you can play it so much. I had fun beating the game but I got to Sanctuary on new game+ and at the same time made an assassin and got to the same place and I'm burned out on the game now. I just can't keep doing the same quests and doing the same things I just did in a game.

Gvaz

Banned
AC2 and ACR both run fine for me, however the former has an utterly broken LOD system that, for example, sees shadows switching between different detail levels and popping in/out even as you stand still. I can't speak to the PC port of Brotherhood since I haven't played it just yet.
Brotherhood does the same thing. The LoD thing is because of it being on consoles.

Gvaz

Banned
The issue isn't that the LOD system is aggressive, but rather that it's utterly broken.
On brotherhood, it was always a certain distance from me. Ac2 was worse. I haven't played much acr because what little I played made me furious

JaseC

On brotherhood, it was always a certain distance from me. Ac2 was worse. I haven't played much acr because what little I played made me furious

Revelations was actually fine, from what I remember (Edit: The LOD system, that is). Nothing egregious as seen in AC2, anyway.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is Hunted: The Demon's Forge any good?

BEcause Max Payne 3 is 15£ on Amazon, but I need 5£ more for the free delivery with the courirer, so I'm looking for something cheap lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

BEcause Max Payne 3 is 15£ on Amazon, but I need 5£ more for the free delivery with the courirer, so I'm looking for something cheap lol.
Hunted is just boring. I'm like half way through and really dreading having to finish it up.

And that's in co-op, the ultimate way to make a game more fun.

Doomrider

It's forgettable in every possible way: characters, graphics, story, gameplay... You name it. A waste of time, really.

Blizzard

Banned
Hunted is just boring. I'm like half way through and really dreading having to finish it up.

And that's in co-op, the ultimate way to make a game more fun.
You don't have to finish games you don't like, you know. :p I figure there are too many games out there to force myself to play all games through to completion, for some definition of completion.

But I suppose I'm weird in that I view my Steam games as a library to select from I'm in the mood to play something, rather than a backlog looming over my head.

But I suppose I'm weird in that I view my Steam games as a library to select from I'm in the mood to play something, rather than a backlog looming over my head.

That's exactly how I view it too and why I buy many games. I just like to have options. I'm never going to play/finish at least 50% of them and I'm fine with that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All these Indie Gala 9 extra keys, I don't really know what to do with them!

Specially Broken Sword 2 and Alien Breed 2!

I just played it 3 hours and thats it. T2 hooked me more then B2. B2 is a good game but T2 is better in my opinion.

Played Borderlands 2 for 5 hours then played Torchlight 2 for 38 hours and beat it last night. I'll get around to BL2 if I feel like it or maybe not.

You don't have to finish games you don't like, you know. :p I figure there are too many games out there to force myself to play all games through to completion, for some definition of completion.

Agreed, a backlog only exists in your mind.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, the problem is when you have many games started, and don't know which one to play. And then you start forgetting the stories, or where you should go, and the controls. Having so many games available is bad for my gaming health!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

There are very few games I am truly in the mood to play at any given time. I waited 7 years to go back and restart Stalker after picking it up on release and getting about half way through before getting distracted. Just last week the mood was right so I started up the game and am now about 2/3s of the way done.

That won't apply to every game in my collection though. I own plenty of shit and I must pay the price for buying it just because it was cheap or because I listened to opinions on the internet. Fortunately this part of my collection grows ever smaller.

dot

All these Indie Gala 9 extra keys, I don't really know what to do with them!

Specially Broken Sword 2 and Alien Breed 2!

Both codes were taken.

Dang, i really wanted Broken Sword 2 too since that will complete my BS collection. Thanks though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom