• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
A actually was thinking about an Elder Scrolls sale today since I wanted to pick up Morrowind and Oblivion, but 50% is a bit less than what I was hoping for. :/

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
... Midweek Madness #1 is up to 50% off the Elder Scrolls franchise, ...

Hmmm, I have yet to pick up Dawnguard for Skyrim. This sale puts it at $13.99. The question is do I buy it now or wait for the sales coming up?

I've got enough games to keep me busy for now, I think I'll wait a bit. It will be that price again down the road, if not better.

KingKong

so its going to be like the OSX App Store?

Hmm weird, I really can't think of any 'software' I use outside of the Office suite and IDEs but I get all that stuff from work/my student account (ignoring stuff like Chrome or iTunes because whats the point of it being on Steam)

Exuro

Workshop support for gamemaker sounds pretty fantastic. I wonder what other software would benefit from workshop.

Blizzard

Banned
There are very few games I am truly in the mood to play at any given time. I waited 7 years to go back and restart Stalker after picking it up on release and getting about half way through before getting distracted. Just last week the mood was right so I started up the game and am now about 2/3s of the way done.

That won't apply to every game in my collection though. I own plenty of shit and I must pay the price for buying it just because it was cheap or because I listened to opinions on the internet. Fortunately this part of my collection grows ever smaller.
Oh I understand being in the mood on stuff. Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games ever, yet I didn't even finish it after I got stuck on one level for maybe a year. I probably messed with the editor a lot before I actually finished the game (since then I've beat it like 5+ times though).

I've been pretty lucky in that there are very few games in my library that I actually consider bad/dislike/regret getting. But if I do, no sense making myself suffer, I've got too much crap to do anyway. :p

microtubule

@drizzle, I think folks just feel its fair game? A thanks would be nice but oh well.

IMO the best way to go about this is a contest like MRORANGE did recently or quote a post style.

1-D_FTW

I don't know what I find more amusing: the achievements or the bit about "These are just the first! Many More to come!" when, by my eyes, GameMaker Studio is the only software available under this category.

EDIT: My bad. There's three titles available.

@drizzle, I think folks just feel its fair game? A thanks would be nice but oh well.

IMO the best way to go about this is a contest like MRORANGE did recently or quote a post style.

Still a douche move. And dumb. I'd rather a person know I claimed a code so it could be removed and I didn't have to get any e-mails after people entered the code and decided to hit the "retrieve account details" button out of spite.

hym

Banned
The new genre tags are interesting I think,

Animation & Modeling
Design & Illustration
Education
Photo Editing
Software Training
Utilities
Web Publishing

They don't seem to be sticking to purely game related software either, CameraBag 2 http://store.steampowered.com/app/100410/

Of course you need an image editor for game development but judging by the description you are better off with GIMP or Paint.NET, this seems to be purely tailored towards photography.

kennah

This is going to be amazing. Software achievements! Gonna have to make a game just to get them!

Love the versions of software as DLC.

They better let me filter out the non-gaming software from the storefront. Unless Valve gets a deal where Autodesk packages--specifically Maya--are reasonably priced, I don't care. All of the non-gaming software they've added looks like shovelware and I don't want to have to wade through this to look for the kind of software I actually am interested in purchasing.

Software achievements are pretty god damn stupid. :lol

Run Windows, Open Preferences, 1000 Compile Errors.

Exactly what I was thinking. Achievements mean even less than they did before, if that's possible.

I wonder how GiantBomb is going to break down what the equivalent in points is when you perform "Save As..." 1000 times in Photoshop.

MNC

Just finished up Renegade Ops, haven't done Cold Strike yet. This was a great little budget game, even in single player. Looks amazing, too. Looking forward to replaying it in co-op since the arcade-y gameplay doesn't bore easily. Storyline is really standard and doesn't really play a big role... It's the shooting and driving and pew pew pew! Love the last shot, though. "HOW'S THAT FOR A PUNCHLINE?"

derFeef

I am a huge fan of The Secret World as you guys know, maybe worth trying for a month if you dig the setting and can digest some MMO tropes. This game has fantastic puzzle missions which makes your brain work for days.

Software achievements are pretty damn great.

I looked at people saying they were stupid and I LOL'd. Then I went back to look later and they were still doing it so I LOL'd again.

Absolutely brilliant move on Valve's part. Games could end up being only a fraction of their overall revenues.

And, pro tip, THIS is precisely why Gabe hates Windows 8.

derFeef

Software achievements are pretty damn great.

I looked at people saying they were stupid and I LOL'd. Then I went back to look later and they were still doing it so I LOL'd again.

Absolutely brilliant move on Valve's part. Games could end up being only a fraction of their overall revenues.

And, pro tip, THIS is precisely why Gabe hates Windows 8.

Oh noes! I don't get it... So he can put it into Steam too?

Let me be the captain obvious here.
Windows 8 have an app store and so does Steam. This makes them competitors.

Steam has games though lol. I mean I know Windows 8 will have games in it too but they will probably be mobile type shit unless MS goes all out and brings Xbox games there...I mean real ones. Will be interesting for sure. Guess we will see come later this month.

Steam has games though lol. I mean I know Windows 8 will have games in it too but they will probably be mobile type shit unless MS goes all out and brings Xbox games there...I mean real ones. Will be interesting for sure. Guess we will see come later this month.

Windows has games too. I know that nobody around here uses Games Live or whatever its name nowadays but it exists. You can check it here. And they can sell games without the GFWL DRM but the new "I don't know how it works with Windows 8 Apps" DRM. I think it isn't called DRM with software but not sure.

Games was the trojan horse that got Steam on millions of computers. Someone at Valve saw that if an Application marketplace could exist through Steam, it could be the primary destination Windows users would have to buy programs digitally. $$$. This is where the real money is. Billions more potential users who would never buy a game like those on Steam but who would buy application -whatever- for Windows.

The W8 integrated, front page, must be certified by MS first, app store is a big barrier now, and takes away Steam's premiere placement of it's application store, making it a secondary destination. More clicks to get to Steam versus the Metro store.

And yes, the MS app store is now a direct, full fledged competitor that will have resources behind it, unlike the GFWL debacle.

The characters take a while to get an identity when it comes to their abilities. Everyone is the same for the first five levels, and even after you start getting points, you won't really see the various classes differentiating themselves until much later. I'd say it starts to become apparent around level 15 or 20. I think Gearbox could have designed the trees somewhat differently to let players reach (or get close to) the bottom ability at the end of the first playthrough. As it stands, it takes about half of the tree to be filled up before you really start to feel the effects of your skill point distribution into that skill tree.

I think they shouldn't have waited until Lv. 5 to give you skill points, or at least should have given you 5 skill points at Lv. 5. It takes too damn long to start filling out your skill tree.

That's my biggest issue with the game, and the first game as well, although at the time it didn't bother me because it was something new. I started Torchlight II in the middle of trying to get into Borderlands 2 and right away I felt attached to my class because of how quickly you level up in that game and start to get into your character. After playing it so much it made it even harder to go back to BL2. I don't think the game is bad or anything but I wish it were equal parts RPG/shooter. The characters skills, to me, are just as important as all the guns and it's annoying having to wait for long cooldowns or enough levels to really make the skill useful.

This makes me nervous about them publishing The Cave. I'm fully expecting it to come out a week or more after the console versions.

jediyoshi

Games was the trojan horse that got Steam on millions of computers. Someone at Valve saw that if an Application marketplace could exist through Steam, it could be the primary destination Windows users would have to buy programs digitally. $$$. This is where the real money is. Billions more potential users who would never buy a game like those on Steam but who would buy application -whatever- for Windows.

What exactly is the timeline for your theory here that only led to them just now having software available? I'm not sure if Valve time extends that far.

Lime

I am a huge fan of The Secret World as you guys know, maybe worth trying for a month if you dig the setting and can digest some MMO tropes. This game has fantastic puzzle missions which makes your brain work for days.

Yeah, but paying 23 euro for trying out a game for a month is simply too steep a price to pay.

Also, sub-based mmo.

Also, EA.

I'd love to play it though if it wasn't for the above :)

The W8 integrated, front page, must be certified by MS first, app store is a big barrier now, and takes away Steam's premiere placement of it's application store, making it a secondary destination. More clicks to get to Steam versus the Metro store.

And yes, the MS app store is now a direct, full fledged competitor that will have resources behind it, unlike the GFWL debacle.

This is a better explanation compared to mine, thanks. The recent developments on Steam (big picture mode, greenlight, software selling, android) seems to be a strategy to get ready for some fierce competition.
If they can finish the linux version they can easily claim that buying at Steam gives you a multi-platform ability that W8 marketplace can't achieve by its nature.
Microsoft is still too late for this app store thing and if they can't change their ways they might be unsuccessful on this test.

derFeef

Yeah, but paying 23 euro for trying out a game for a month is simply too steep a price to pay.

Also, sub-based mmo.

Also, EA.

I'd love to play it though if it wasn't for the above :)

Well, yeah, but it's one month. Sometimes people say it's not worth "x amount of hours", which would be a lot (granted you play and like it).
But there is a 3 day trial too...

EA is just putting boxes out.

Derrick01

Banned
Man whoever said the diplomacy was awful in Civ 5 wasn't kidding. I was attacking America, New York specifically, and Washington called me up and offered me:

-400 gold, a lot for the period we're at now
-30 gold every turn for 25 turns
-various resources like iron, gems, silver, horses and wine
-declare peace on my allied city-states as well as me
-Offered New York up

All he wanted was for me to stop attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom