• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam just had a sale on the AC franchise a few days ago... unless you meant something else?

What most people mean when they say Steamworks is that retail copies can (must) be activated on Steam.

For most Ubi titles, you can still buy the game on Steam, but retail copies will only work with uplay.

DX The Missing Link is still gone from my games list. Deleted clientregistry.blob and that didnt work so I'm out of ideas on how to fix it : D

Game isnt even in the tools section anymore. Cant even launch the game from the store page for The Missing Link. It just launches DX: HR instead. I'm sure that i could just launch it from the executable , but that's not the optimum solution.

Edit. Yes I can launch it from the executable. Still wish they would fix this.

I have an Origin client installed but never log-in. Not that I avidly purchased EA games before but I pretty much stopped buying EA's games when they decided to stop selling them on Steam. Not out of intent or anything, I simply forgot about them.

I have an Origin client installed but never log-in. Not that I avidly purchased EA games before but I pretty much stopped buying EA's games when they decided to stop selling them on Steam. Not out of intent or anything, I simply forgot about them.

Same here but I don't have it installed. Really stupid idea on EA's part imo, not not wanting to compete with Steam, but much less exposure to the games means less sales :).

Bluth54

I thought AC3 was a Steam title? Weird how Far Cry 3 isn't.

I don't think Ubisoft has announced what DRM AC3 is using, however I wouldn't be surprised if at least the Steam version is Steamworks since AC3's store page was put up months ago and usually only Steamworks games get store pages up that early.

1-D_FTW

Steam is literally fucking with my entire computer. Wanted to just log in and play a little Outrun. It hung so hard I had to manually hit the restart button.

Reboot. Decide I've had enough of the beta (since BPM uses too many resources to justify for me at this point).

Log back to old client. See that there are about 90 games that need "Updates". Somehow I seriously doubt that 75 percent of my installed games need to be converted (pretty sure some already have been).

Since they were all paused anyways, decided I'd try Outrun again.

Bzz. Slightly less laggy, but at least I was able to exit by killing the process.

Go to process explorer and seeing Steam is just chewing up my I/O. Which explains why even an ancient game like Outrun can't load. The problem is nothing is actually being updated right now. Everything is paused. Figured I'd manually try and update all this crap to see if things could start getting sorted, so I started with Alpha Protocol. Steam is choking so hard on it's own vomit, it can't even start the update process. Meanwhile, the hard drive is just churning like crazy and even the internet is working like crap from all the resource hogging it's vomit is spewing.

EDIT: Had to shut the bloatware down to get my computer functional again. Hope there's some answer to this mess other than deleting all my games from my hard drive.

Sober

Why would you want to spend money on Pay-to-Play-Free-to-Play games?
BF3 Premium is worth the money if you were going to buy all the expansion packs anyway. Yes, even close quarters is a good expansion pack.
Cue 40 people telling me I'm wrong and should die

Giran

I don't think Ubisoft has announced what DRM AC3 is using, however I wouldn't be surprised if at least the Steam version is Steamworks since AC3's store page was put up months ago and usually only Steamworks games get store pages up that early.

UPlay has its own servers, cloud save and achievement system going on. It's very unlikely that Ubisoft would implement Steamworks on top of that.

Jintor

I don't get you at all, Steam. 11gb TF2 update? No problem. Similarly large Dota2 update? Nada. But 500mb Source filmmaker update? Less than 1kb/s. What the hell.

Exuro

I don't get you at all, Steam. 11gb TF2 update? No problem. Similarly large Dota2 update? Nada. But 500mb Source filmmaker update? Less than 1kb/s. What the hell.
Are you sure the TF2 update was 11gb? When it started on my machine it was at like 11.3ish out of 11.9.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'll have to pick up the PC version at some point.

I'm like #50 or so in the world on the XBLA leaderboards, I think I'm around 55 minutes or so total time.

I'm not sure I could finish the game without dying, but I could probably finish it with fewer than 5 deaths. Really the entry to the Rat's Lair and two or three segments in the final base are the only trial-and-error sections,e verything else just requires skill.

I think the bits that would give me the biggest issue are the couple moments when you have to handle a group of zombies. They are really inconsistent with their AI/reactions/positioning and those moments would be awful on a nightmare run.

Salsa

Why would you want to spend money on Pay-to-Play-Free-to-Play games?

wut?

I only have the Karkand maps and all my friends are playing the newer ones. Between Close Quarters and Armored kill supposedly bringin good maps, and aftermath coming out next month (and the game being supported at least till the last DLC on march), id say it's not a bad move if I play the game. I cant join shit now for lack of maps.

Battlefield is like my only EA guilty pleasure, leave me alone *shrugs* :(

Fjordson

I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I wasn't sure where else to ask...

Has anyone heard anything about GTA: Vice City being removed from the store? Been thinking about replaying the older GTA's and was hoping to pick up VC and San Andreas soon, possibly on sale next month, but I just noticed this morning that Vice City isn't even on there (while SA and GTA III still are at the moment).

edit: huh, just checked GamersGate and Amazon and Vice City is gone from both stores. Guess this isn't a Steam-specific issue then, my bad =[

Tess3ract

Banned
So I beat Spec Ops: The Line today.

I think it took me like 5 hours? to beat the campaign, getting 75% of the intel.

I don't really feel like making a big writeup about it so here's some points:

Good:
- story
- graphics

bad:
- combat is clunky as fuck
- no place to see what intel you've picked up later on, only right at that time.

I'd say 3/5 I guess. (3 is average for me, 2 is bad, 1 is shitstain awful)

I'll play coop with my buddy later, apparently that has a different storyline?

Worth it. Go play it for a really pleasant surprise.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Has anyone heard anything about GTA: Vice City being removed from the store? Been thinking about replaying the older GTA's and was hoping to pick up VC and San Andreas soon, possibly on sale next month, but I just noticed this morning that Vice City isn't even on there (while SA and GTA III still are at the moment).

edit: huh, just checked GamersGate and Amazon and Vice City is gone from both stores. Guess this isn't a Steam-specific issue then, my bad =[

That is... very strange. It was just $2.50 not but a week or so ago too! From the looks of it, Rockstar has made no comment as to why it was removed. Speculation is that they are possibly relaunching it with the iOS/Android version coming up though others suspect some music rights issues arose. We're all in the dark!

The GTA complete pack is gone as well, you can only buy III and San Andreas separately.

So I beat Spec Ops: The Line today.

I think it took me like 5 hours? to beat the campaign, getting 75% of the intel.

I don't really feel like making a big writeup about it so here's some points:

Good:
- story
- graphics

bad:
- combat is clunky as fuck
- no place to see what intel you've picked up later on, only right at that time.

I'd say 3/5 I guess. (3 is average for me, 2 is bad, 1 is shitstain awful)

I'll play coop with my buddy later, apparently that has a different storyline?

Worth it. Go play it for a really pleasant surprise.

I'm with you. The combat pissed me off, but the story was great in that game.

Gonna repost here my thoughts on The Darkness II, since the purpose of the thread I wrote it for is something else:

I picked up Darkness II in the recent Amazon sale, and for the first half of the game I was really pumped. I was playing it thinking man, this game was really slept on - I remember it getting ok reviews, but no real high praise. It has an incredible art style and pretty good graphics, and for the first couple of hours I was cutting up mobsters left and right. The game does a great job of making you feel dangerous, and makes it easy to multitask. You can shoot guys while also attacking with the demon arms, and all in all it's super satisfying.

That is, until about halfway through (aka two or three hours in, eww) when The Brotherhood shows up. These guys have a ton of armor, and later enemies can 1. teleport and 2. TAKE YOUR GUNS OUT OF YOUR HAND, which is a combination of two of the most annoying possible things enemies in shooters can do. Adding bullet-sponge foes where they don't belong is kind of a trend in shooters, and it's incredibly annoying - it's not more difficult, it just means that the game isn't fun anymore. I wasn't able to multitask in these levels, because I had to focus all firepower on one or two seemingly immortal assholes warping all around the map. This is made doubly annoying in group fights, where there are at least two or three people pointing floodlights at you, which 1. makes the Darkness powers go away and 2. blinds you and makes a really awful ear-ringing sound.

It doesn't help that a good chunk of these later levels are barely even levels. The objective "survive the ambush" popped up all too frequently in big square arena rooms, which is a shame because the game's earlier stages do a pretty good job of funneling you through exciting setpieces without being quite as bleeding obvious as Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. The story is also pretty cool, in a pulpy way. All of the Jenny hallucinations/flashbacks were awesome, and the Darkness Hospital was inventive, even if it wasn't as crazy as the weird WWI-ish stage from the first game.

Still, I feel like the addition of the Brotherhood enemies really soured my opinion of the game. Considering it took me two sittings to finish the game, that's pretty damaging. At first, I thought it was a polished and inventive shooter; now, I'm just sort of grumpy about it, even if the actual ending was... interesting, at least.

Rufus

That is... very strange. It was just $2.50 not but a week or so ago too! From the looks of it, Rockstar has made no comment as to why it was removed. Speculation is that they are possibly relaunching it with the iOS/Android version coming up though others suspect some music rights issues arose. We're all in the dark!

The GTA complete pack is gone as well, you can only buy III and San Andreas separately.
I might be totally hallucinating, but I think I saw something about a new edition of the game in my RSS feeds... Yup, just checked again. Coming to iOS and Android later this fall.
Not sure why they would remove the PC version (unless they're going to update it), but there you go.

Yep, gone from my store too. There used to be a GTA complete pack that you could buy with all GTA games and that is gone as well. So glad I jumped on that before they removed it. Why they do this is beyond me though.

DX The Missing Link is still gone from my games list. Deleted clientregistry.blob and that didnt work so I'm out of ideas on how to fix it : D

Game isnt even in the tools section anymore. Cant even launch the game from the store page for The Missing Link. It just launches DX: HR instead. I'm sure that i could just launch it from the executable , but that's not the optimum solution.

Edit. Yes I can launch it from the executable. Still wish they would fix this.

Are you in Steam beta? If you op out, then it will appear or so I read. I'm still missing this guy as well and I'm still in the beta.

Fjordson

Yep, gone from my store too. There used to be a GTA complete pack that you could buy with all GTA games and that is gone as well. So glad I jumped on that before they removed it. Why they do this is beyond me though.

Damn! I knew I should have jumped on the GTA complete pack last time it was on sale. Oh well.

Since GTA III has stayed up despite the iOS port being out for a while, hopefully Vice City will come back eventually. Thanks guys.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Unfortunate about VC. Glad I got it before it vanished though.

Gonna repost here my thoughts on The Darkness II, since the purpose of the thread I wrote it for is something else:

I picked up Darkness II in the recent Amazon sale, and for the first half of the game I was really pumped. I was playing it thinking man, this game was really slept on - I remember it getting ok reviews, but no real high praise. It has an incredible art style and pretty good graphics, and for the first couple of hours I was cutting up mobsters left and right. The game does a great job of making you feel dangerous, and makes it easy to multitask. You can shoot guys while also attacking with the demon arms, and all in all it's super satisfying.

That is, until about halfway through (aka two or three hours in, eww) when The Brotherhood shows up. These guys have a ton of armor, and later enemies can 1. teleport and 2. TAKE YOUR GUNS OUT OF YOUR HAND, which is a combination of two of the most annoying possible things enemies in shooters can do. Adding bullet-sponge foes where they don't belong is kind of a trend in shooters, and it's incredibly annoying - it's not more difficult, it just means that the game isn't fun anymore. I wasn't able to multitask in these levels, because I had to focus all firepower on one or two seemingly immortal assholes warping all around the map. This is made doubly annoying in group fights, where there are at least two or three people pointing floodlights at you, which 1. makes the Darkness powers go away and 2. blinds you and makes a really awful ear-ringing sound.

It doesn't help that a good chunk of these later levels are barely even levels. The objective "survive the ambush" popped up all too frequently in big square arena rooms, which is a shame because the game's earlier stages do a pretty good job of funneling you through exciting setpieces without being quite as bleeding obvious as Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. The story is also pretty cool, in a pulpy way. All of the Jenny hallucinations/flashbacks were awesome, and the Darkness Hospital was inventive, even if it wasn't as crazy as the weird WWI-ish stage from the first game.

Still, I feel like the addition of the Brotherhood enemies really soured my opinion of the game. Considering it took me two sittings to finish the game, that's pretty damaging. At first, I thought it was a polished and inventive shooter; now, I'm just sort of grumpy about it, even if the actual ending was... interesting, at least.

I didn't mind the Brotherhood too much as I felt the game really needed more enemy variety (and even with them, it still could've used a bit more). I'd usually pop a power and take them out right away, and once you get the upgrades to shorten their recharge time, you almost always have one ready for them.

I do agree with the "survive the ambush" bits though, which were kind of lazy and used a few times too many. I felt the floodlight guys were a part of a bigger problem with lights in general - you are constantly dealing with them and it's just boxing you out, slowing you down. The carnival stage dragged hard because of all this. Ambush, lights, ambushes with lights. On and on and on.

Game Guru

First Doom and now GTA... These are actual classics getting removed, and not games that would have rights issues, or at least rights issues that don't just justify modifying the game code.

Are you in Steam beta? If you op out, then it will appear or so I read. I'm still missing this guy as well and I'm still in the beta.

Fixed it. Thanks. Heads up for anyone else who does this, Steam will act like it has to update half of your games but it doesnt really download anything. Just give it a few minutes to go through your games list and do so 0 kb downloads.

Salsa

4sDK9.png

is this new?

more people need to use it

Bluth54

UPlay has its own servers, cloud save and achievement system going on. It's very unlikely that Ubisoft would implement Steamworks on top of that.

I don't think they'll make retail copies or digital copies sold outside of Steam Steamworks, but I do think we're going to see an Arkham City like situation. Valve doesn't usually put games on the Steam store months in advance without a price unless they use Steamworks.

On my third playthrough of Dishonored--did a high chaos/lethal run, a lowchaos/non-lethal run and now I'm just doing another sweep to screw around and find all of the things I've missed--and the game is still surprising me.

Dishonored is easily one of the best games I've played this year.

YES! Sunday redeemed!

EDIT: While downloading I was wondering, is the new content accessible right from the start? I already sinked literally hundreds of hours on PS3.

From what I've heard, it's part of the game?

I haven't even played Demon's Souls. I've heard the game is great, but have always put it off since the PS3 is now being played more by my brother.

YES! Sunday redeemed!

EDIT: While downloading I was wondering, is the new content accessible right from the start? I already sinked literally hundreds of hours on PS3.

You have to at least been in the Duke's Archives before you can access the new content. A high-ish SL is also recommended, since it's definitely one of the harder areas.

Tomodachi

I haven't even played Demon's Souls. I've heard the game is great, but have always put it off since the PS3 is now being played more by my brother.
It is an amazing game, get it when you'll be able to. Easily my favourite of the gen (along with Demon's).
If you haven't played the prequel it can be even more harder though, beware :D

zkylon

zkylewd
It is an amazing game, get it when you'll be able to. Easily my favourite of the gen (along with Demon's).
If you haven't played the prequel it can be even more harder though, beware :D
Better to do Demon's -> Dark, too. I don't think I can ever go back to not-Bonfires, but both are zky's seal of approval must-plays.

In case anyone was interested, the Amazon offer on Dark Souls is up. It's 50% off and is now $19.99.

I hope my refund from GOG and pay gets in before the end of next week. ;_;
buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy

Dambrosi

Banned

Get Demon's now, while you can, and the servers are still up. It's an unmissable experience, with some spectacular set-pieces along the way as well as some truly maddening (and highly original) end bosses. Be prepared for lots of dying, and as a result, lots of loading screens (though I thought Dark was just as bad in that respect). Also, patience and exploration win the day in Souls games - always remember this.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Deadlight is just alright for me. Nothing special; very shallow game. The environments and atmosphere are nice at times, but lol voice acting and the no skill required runnin' jumpin' climbin' gets old quick. I'm glad it's short or I wouldn't finish it (about halfway through the game right now). I paid $7.50 for it but it feels more like a $5 game.

Soi-Fong

I want to get Chivalry, but goddamn, I still haven't finished XCOM and I haven't even touched Dishonored even though I got those two at launch...

Just bought Hotline Miami as well and planning on getting the Wii U in Nov and AC Liberation next week. Have to prioritize... *_*

Then again, with how much schoolwork I've gotten maybe I should just wait for the steam sales.

ngt

Then again, with how much schoolwork I've gotten maybe I should just wait for the steam sales.

I'm in the same situation. I've got Saints Row 3, Rage, Torchlight 2, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2 still waiting despite pre-ordering them long before the release day. I just stopped buying new games until I've got more time and clear my backlog a bit.

dani_dc

Get Demon's now, while you can, and the servers are still up. It's an unmissable experience, with some spectacular set-pieces along the way as well as some truly maddening (and highly original) end bosses. Be prepared for lots of dying, and as a result, lots of loading screens (though I thought Dark was just as bad in that respect). Also, patience and exploration win the day in Souls games - always remember this.

Do the servers of Demon's Souls even have enough low leveled players?
I played through the game a few weeks ago (Europe so a different sever than the US) and I hardly ever came accross summon simbols (I think twice in the whole game) and never got summoned. I saw lots of hints messages though and a few ghosts.

I found Demon Souls hard to get into than Dark Souls, the game didn't click on me after playing it a couple hours two years ago and I ended up dropping the game at the time, and didn't pick it back until after I played through Dark Souls.

My experience with Dark Souls definitively helped me getting through Demon's Souls, even though Demon's Souls is overall a less refined game so in that sense playing it after Dark Souls might be a negative thing as it makes that more obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom