• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fsm2g362o

Uh Huh

Yes, I got lost at the end : ) Never played that section before.

That's not a good arguement. all TPS games are better with mouse and keyboard. The only thing kb/m is bad at is analogue movement

Might just be a personal preference thing then. I don't like how 3rd person games feel with KB/M. I definitely don't see how they are superior, especially when you don't have to look around and point at shoot at things like in the Batman vid.

Talking about Dark Souls...

I bought the game very early thanks to the DSfix and the GMG deal. I beat the first boss rather easily, got to that castle, fought the
Taurus Demon
a few times but couldn't beat him because I got impatient. In the meantime other stuff and other games came up, I let it rest for a while and only came back recently just to be stomped by that boss again and return to the same fireplace I've seen about 10 times already. I thought to myself: "Cool, this is Dark Souls, I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk."

Today I started it up again, manned up and beat him like a boss. "Victory Achieved". Then I tried to cross the bridge. Fuck. That. That's so cheap.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It's not like I spent $10 on DLC for an F2P game I don't even have installed. Oh, wait. :(

I would have if I didn't get it in that Warner Bros. pack during the sale. We gotta catch up to Joe. Almost at 2k and gonna go bonkers this Christmas.

Tomodachi

I bought the game very early thanks to the DSfix and the GMG deal. I beat the first boss rather easily, got to that castle, fought the
Taurus Demon
a few times but couldn't beat him because I got impatient. In the meantime other stuff and other games came up, I let it rest for a while and only came back recently just to be stomped by that boss again and return to the same fireplace I've seen about 10 times already. I thought to myself: "Cool, this is Dark Souls, I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk."

Today I started it up again, manned up and beat him like a boss. "Victory Achieved". Then I tried to cross the bridge. Fuck. That. That's so cheap.
Actually if you don't rush through the bridge it's avoidable (you should NEVER rush anywhere in the game, it's an unwritten rule. another one is, shield always up!). But yeah, can be considered cheap, but that's the only death like that you'll get in the game. Demon's Souls had more cheap deaths like that. Also it's not a big deal getting back there once you have defeated the boss you mentioned.
Not that I don't like those cheap deaths in DS tbh, they actually serve their purpose in teaching you the hard way that this is a game where you can die almost every single instant, adding to the sense of oppression and stuff.

You guys think I can play Dark Souls (with DSFix) at 1920x1080/60fps on a 660ti?
Totally.

Actually if you don't rush through the bridge it's avoidable (you should NEVER rush anywhere in the game, it's an unwritten rule. another one is, shield always up!). But yeah, can be considered cheap, but that's the only death like that you'll get in the game. Demon's Souls had more cheap deaths like that. Also it's not a big deal getting back there once you have defeated the boss you mentioned.
Not that I don't like those cheap deaths in DS tbh, they actually serve their purpose in teaching you the hard way that this is a game where you can die almost every single instant, adding to the sense of oppression and stuff.

I wasn't even rushing, I slowly walked up to the first undead/skeleton to lure him in so that the other 2 don't notice me.

I guess it was the other way around :lol

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the bolded. I guess it was just the adrenaline from the boss fight earlier speaking.

To turn the table, I enjoy the bosses' cheap deaths.

I will never forget the first time I killed the Adjudicator in Demon's Souls.

Both of our life bars were depleted and it was a one-hit kill situation, my life bar was completely empty, yet somehow, I lived. That pile of fat raises his meat cleaver to give the final strike. I aim the bird on his head with my bow and release the arrow. It hits and kills him a second before his cleaver touches me.

Oh the joy...

Salsa

GvHNN.png

now im never getting Most Wanted am I

big thanks to Beast Legacy for helping me with the Amazon CC-only workarounds

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That is... very strange. It was just $2.50 not but a week or so ago too! From the looks of it, Rockstar has made no comment as to why it was removed. Speculation is that they are possibly relaunching it with the iOS/Android version coming up though others suspect some music rights issues arose. We're all in the dark!

The GTA complete pack is gone as well, you can only buy III and San Andreas separately.
FUCK, and I passed on the GTA complete pack for $10 last sale :(

Caerith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fsm2g362o

Uh Huh

Yes, I got lost at the end : ) Never played that section before.
The video shows off the one strength of the keyboard and mouse setup: grappling. You can aim the grapple just a little better with a mouse than you can with an analogue stick. Awesome. But grappling your way up an elevator shaft is like 5% of the game. Getting stuck in a room with like 50 goons all around you and you can't leave until you beat them all up is 90% of the game, and that part is relatively hard with a keyboard and mouse.

I played Arkham Asylum from start to finish with a keyboard and mouse. I played Arkham Asylum from start to finish with a gamepad. Asylum's brawls were frustratingly hard, City's were sublimely fun.

I'm playing Dark Souls with a gamepad, no question. The only exception would be if there's a way to aim your spells without lockon using a mouse-- but since Dark Souls uses a Vancian magic system I think that would be rather limited utility anyway.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still surprised at how L4D2 is the #1 best seller since the sale, I was trying to get that achievement with the free weekend players thing, but MY ENTIRE FRIENDS LIST HAS THE GAME ALREADY! Seriously everybody on my list has it with a bit of playtime too, so I just launched the game and played a game on normal in a random lobby and got it, but I was surrounded by people who haven't played before.

I really wonder how much sales it got this weekend on Steam and overall on Steam now, how do people not have it yet..
I don't get that achievement. I played the game last Friday night with a friend (none of us had bought the game at the time) and beat 2 campaigns, but didn't get the achievement. Did I need to have bought the game before?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Taurus Demon

Haha, that's my EXACT experience with the game. I even had to ask for some tips here on GAF regarding that boss, as I missed the piece of advice in the tutorial that taught you
how to stab while falling
. I haven't touched the game since, I'd like to but the prospect of dying 50 more times in the same section scares the hell out of me.

Caerith

I don't get that achievement. I played the game last Friday night with a friend (none of us had bought the game at the time) and beat 2 campaigns, but didn't get the achievement. Did I need to have bought the game before?
Achievements only unlock when you own the game. If you owned it and your friends did not own it, you would get the achievement. If you and all your friends owned it you would just get the normal achievements.

dani_dc

Haha, that's my EXACT experience with the game. I even had to ask for some tips here on GAF regarding that boss, as I missed the piece of advice in the tutorial that taught you
. I haven't touched the game since, I'd like to but the prospect of dying 50 more times in the same section scares the hell out of me.

Tried summoning some people? I find that helps a lot and makes the game more enjoyable.
The sale should help increase the number of people available for summoning. The next few bosses should also allow you to summon NPC's if needed.

If you don't have humanity you can gain it by being summoned yourself (I somehow only found out you could be summoned as a hollow when I was half-way through the game) and defeating the boss of the area.

Finally bought Dark Souls. Is there any way to switch the buttons and triggers so the triggers are for main attack and blocking? Such an obvious PS3 port. Also, I'm stuck and can't get to the first boss :p

Caerith

I was late to the party for Demon's Souls and haven't played Dark Souls yet, but they share the same reputation. I died like a million times in Demon's Souls 1-1. Took me forever to reach and kill the first boss. Got frustrated, quit. Came back, rolled a new character, and steamrolled 1-1 at SL1, kept going and got I don't know how far without dying just by being hella cautious. Never turn a corner without your shield up, always use your bow's zoom to scope out the upcoming area, always know where you're going to run if you get swarmed, turn the sound up and listen.

I finally beat Demon's Souls last night (and got cocky in NG+ and got my ass kicked all over again in 4-1), but am excited about Dark Souls and this sale couldn't have come at a better time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Achievements only unlock when you own the game. If you owned it and your friends did not own it, you would get the achievement. If you and all your friends owned it you would just get the normal achievements.
Thanks for this, I'll try playing tonight with someone who doesn't own it to get the achievement.

Tried summoning some people? I find that helps a lot and makes the game more enjoyable.
The sale should help increase the number of people available for summoning. The next few bosses should also allow you to summon NPC's if needed.

If you don't have humanity you can gain it by being summoned yourself (I somehow only found out you could be summoned as a hollow when I was half-way through the game) and defeating the boss of the area.
I'm ashamed to say I don't know how to do that. I also don't have humanity nor know how to be summoned, lol. I guess I just suck at the game!

I was late to the party for Demon's Souls and haven't played Dark Souls yet, but they share the same reputation. I died like a million times in Demon's Souls 1-1. Took me forever to reach and kill the first boss. Got frustrated, quit. Came back, rolled a new character, and steamrolled 1-1 at SL1, kept going and got I don't know how far without dying just by being hella cautious. Never turn a corner without your shield up, always use your bow's zoom to scope out the upcoming area, always know where you're going to run if you get swarmed, turn the sound up and listen.

I finally beat Demon's Souls last night (and got cocky in NG+ and got my ass kicked all over again in 4-1), but am excited about Dark Souls and this sale couldn't have come at a better time.
The shield is really necessary, yes. I hate how a single strike from an enemy can take a lot of your health, I have to take care even with the lowest tier enemies. Why do you say the sound is important?

Caerith

The shield is really necessary, yes. I hate how a single strike from an enemy can take a lot of your health, I have to take care even with the lowest tier enemies. Why do you say the sound is important?
At least in Demon's Souls, all enemies make sound. The red-eyed knights of Boletaria had a distinctively ominous breathing sound, the jailers of Latria had chimes (that you could listen for to know how far they were or if they had spotted you), the flies in the Valley of Defilement were loud but at least you could hear them coming. There are a lot of times where you're walking along and you hear noise above you and that should clue you in that someone's waiting up there to drop down after you walk by. I don't know if Dark Souls has the same audio cues, but they were real life-savers in Demon's Souls.

dani_dc

I'm ashamed to say I don't know how to do that. I also don't have humanity nor know how to be summoned, lol. I guess I just suck at the game!

To be summoned simply use this object to put a sign on the ground, and then stay within the area (usually between the bonfire and the boss) until someone summons you, you can take the chance to gain a few souls in the meantime (this might take awhile since it depends on the level of players within your area and level range that are in human form).

To summon (either other players or NPC) you need to be in human form.
If you have one of this items you can use it to gain humanity and you can return yourself to human by using a bonfire ("Reverse hollowing"), after that simply look for a summon sign on the ground to summon someone.
Alternatives ways to gain humanity are to kill bosses,helping kill a boss while summoned, or killing a certain amount of enemies (that used to be human) in an area (before you defeat the boss).

Keep in mind that being in human form leaves you open to be invaded by other players.

The game doesn't has a tutorial about this things so it's not that odd that you wouldn't know about them, I only knew about it myself because someone explained me the Demon's Souls mechanics after my first attempt at that game.

Here's a page with more details on the multiplayer aspect of the game.

With that said it should be noted that some people have issues summoning/being summoned on the PC version for some reason, so don't be too shocked if you get "Summoning failed" when trying to summon another player (this won't be an issue with summoning NPC's).

The video shows off the one strength of the keyboard and mouse setup: grappling. You can aim the grapple just a little better with a mouse than you can with an analogue stick. Awesome. But grappling your way up an elevator shaft is like 5% of the game. Getting stuck in a room with like 50 goons all around you and you can't leave until you beat them all up is 90% of the game, and that part is relatively hard with a keyboard and mouse.

I played Arkham Asylum from start to finish with a keyboard and mouse. I played Arkham Asylum from start to finish with a gamepad. Asylum's brawls were frustratingly hard, City's were sublimely fun.

I'm playing Dark Souls with a gamepad, no question. The only exception would be if there's a way to aim your spells without lockon using a mouse-- but since Dark Souls uses a Vancian magic system I think that would be rather limited utility anyway.

So now I have to make a new video of me fighting using kbam? Just let me know.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be summoned simply use this object to put a sign on the ground, and then stay within the area (usually between the bonfire and the boss) until someone summons you, you can take the chance to gain a few souls in the meantime (this might take awhile since it depends on the level of players within your area and level range that are in human form).

To summon (either other players or NPC) you need to be in human form.
If you have one of this items you can use it to gain humanity and you can return yourself to human by using a bonfire ("Reverse hollowing"), after that simply look for a summon sign on the ground to summon someone.
Alternatives ways to gain humanity are to kill bosses,helping kill a boss while summoned, or killing a certain amount of enemies (that used to be human) in an area (before you defeat the boss).

Keep in mind that being in human form leaves you open to be invaded by other players.

The game doesn't has a tutorial about this things so it's not that odd that you wouldn't know about them, I only knew about it myself because someone explained me the Demon's Souls mechanics after my first attempt at that game.

Here's a page with more details on the multiplayer aspect of the game.

With that said it should be noted that some people have issues summoning/being summoned on the PC version for some reason, so don't be too shocked if you get "Summoning failed" when trying to summon another player (this won't be an issue with summoning NPC's).
Wow, I feel overwhelmed, the game is terribly complex. I don't know what "reverse hollowing" means (I guess it's something related to what you said about using bonfires to gain humanity), nor "kindling bonfires" or "attuning equipment" (something I recall hearing a couple of times), but I also don't want to spoil all of this by reading a Wiki. Is there a way to find out this stuff in game, or is the only way having someone tell you about them?

I think the best course of action would be starting the game from scratch, because I don't remember even the basic controls.

Tomodachi

Wow, I feel overwhelmed, the game is terribly complex. I don't know what "reverse hollowing" means (I guess it's something related to what you said about using bonfires to gain humanity), nor "kindling bonfires" or "attuning equipment" (something I recall hearing a couple of times), but I also don't want to spoil all of this by reading a Wiki. Is there a way to find out this stuff in game, or is the only way having someone tell you about them?

I think the best course of action would be starting the game from scratch, because I don't remember even the basic controls.

By all means, do. Actually playing the first part a couple times with different classes until you find the one for you actually helps. There's a lot of variety in weapons and armor, and armor heavily influences movement, so you could be at a disadvantage with some classes in some situations or with certain kinds of approach.
The whole multiplayer mechanics will come with the game, you don't have to grasp them before playing. Part of the experience is getting the mechanics firsthand, even basic ones. The game won't explain shit: that's part of its charm imho. And multiplayer mechanics in particular can look overly complex but in the end they're not.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Reverse Hollowing = Becoming human again (to become human you need 1 Humanity).
Kindling Bonfire = Basically it's an upgrade, you can kindle the bonfires up to 4 times (after you find a specific item, otherwise just 2 times), to kindle a bonfire you must be in human form, kindling uses 1 Humanity. Kindling a Bonfire grants you 5 more Estus flasks. Every bonfire is independent from another, so if you kindle the one in Firelink Shrine, using another one will still give you 5 Estus.
Attuning equipment = Here you can equip your spells. To know how many spell you can attune, just watch at your stats, the attunement slots. Basic spells requires 1 slot, but the more advanced could require more slots.

Anyway, to know someting about stat and option you can press Select (on PS3) and then a explanation about what you've selected will come up.

dani_dc

Reverse Hollowing is just the option at the Bonfire that changes you from Hollow to Human (at the cost of 1 humanity)
Kindle allows you to strengthen the bonfire, giving you more health potions when resting in that particular bonfire (extremely helpeful). It also costs 1 humanity and can only be performed while in human form (the bonfire remains kindled for the rest of the game though). This particular option should help you a lot as it gives you +5 Estus Flask effectively doubling the amount of times you can heal yourself in the area.

Attuming is just adding spells/miracles to your top slot (I don't recall this one being specifically explained in the game) assuming you have enough stats to have slots.

An NPC tells you that you can summon him and gives you the item to summon (entirely missable event, which happens a bit after
Taurus
) and the item description explains how it works, that's the only explanation in the game regarding summoning I believe.
As for kindling I think a character explains the concept at a later point of the game (entirely optional conversation as well).

Experimentation and community help are really the two most effective ways to learn about such concepts, as the game doesn't really has tutorials and the explanations of things are usually short and easy to miss (or not fully understand).

Honestly this all sounds more complex than it really is (I recall having a similar reaction with Demon's Souls), but it's actually quite simple once you start doing this things.
My best suggestion is to experiment with things and to ask people for help when in doubt, checking a Wiki or so as last resort.

TronLight

An NPC tells you that you can summon him and gives you the item to summon (entirely missable event, which happens a bit after
Taurus
) and the item description explains how it works, that's the only explanation in the game regarding summoning I believe.

This happens just at the
start of the bridge with the dragon on top, on the balcony

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
^^ Thanks to the above posters. I was feeling like I missed some section in the tutorial, but now I know the game is meant to be that way. And yes, I should try different classes until I find the one I feel more comfortable with. I hope one day I'll get good at it, and am able to be the one giving advice to rookies, like you are doing with me right now xD

TronLight

^^ Thanks to the above posters. I was feeling like I missed some section in the tutorial, but now I know the game is meant to be that way. And yes, I should try different classes until I find the one I feel more comfortable with. I hope one day I'll get good at it, and am able to be the one giving advice to rookies, like you are doing with me right now xD
And the end of the day, the starting class in DS doesn't really matter, you could start with a Mage and end up with a full melee tank warrior. :lol

You'll get good if you understand the game. And it's not really that hard once you have some decent equip.

Ledsen

So now I have to make a new video of me fighting using kbam? Just let me know.

I'm sure it works fine for you but how could it ever be considered superior to gamepad? An analogue stick is pretty much the optimal tool for controlling a character in third person. Controlling your aim is another story, but you don't do much of that in Batman.

Darklord

Banned
I feel like I need a tutorial to find out how to play Assassins Creed 2 after launching Assassins Creed 2.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Jesus Christ.

lol, just wait until you see the controls in that game. I hope you have a 360 controller and a good long time redoing every single button they fucked up.

dreamfall

I just picked up Hotline Miami... and my computer is stuck in New Jersey. If this storm does actually flood that area, I'll be so sad. Spent so much time building it, and just joined this Master race.

:'(

Tomodachi

And the end of the day, the starting class in DS doesn't really matter, you could start with a Mage and end up with a full melee tank warrior. :lol
This is true later in the game, but you can't build a mage from a character starting with a knight class in the first hours of the game (or the other way around), because you won't have the appropriate piece of armors/weapons. So that's why I suggested to try with different classes and replaying the tutorial and maybe the first hour of the game. Knights are strong but their armor makes them slow, thieves and ranger have to rely a lot on rolling because they start with very light armor, mages are awesome at long range but it's a pain to learn spells and managing the limited uses between bonfires, I don't dig them a lot.
Also, it looks like the pyromancer is by far the best class for people who haven't played Demon's Souls, makes the game a bit easier. I didn't use pyromancy a lot in any of my playthroughs tho, so I wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom