• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contemplating buying Dark Souls even though I basically consider GFWL malware. Torn between loathing a terrible "service" and wanting From Software to do well on PC, releasing further games on the platform.

Contemplating buying Dark Souls even though I basically consider GFWL malware. Torn between loathing a terrible "service" and wanting From Software to do well on PC, releasing further games on the platform.

I'm waiting for fans to fix some of the issues, personally. If that doesn't happen then it'll be a nice game to get for $10 during a sale.

GFWL seems like the best part of this port.

I could take the 30fps cap and even locked rendering resolution but the potential of encountering *any* of the issues with GFWL I've had with other titles is more worrisome for me than any technical misstep From is making with the port.

derFeef

I could take the 30fps cap and even locked rendering resolution but the potential of encountering *any* of the issues with GFWL I've had with other titles is more worrisome for me than any technical misstep From is making with the port.

Man, a thing that is invisible once you put the key in VS fuzzy and jittery graphics, I dunno.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, a thing that is invisible once you put the key in VS fuzzy and jittery graphics, I dunno.
GFWL isn't invisible if you get corrupted saves (Batman), or go back and try to play a Steam game (happened to me with SFIV) and spend an hour or two trying to figure out why your account doesn't work (apparently something changed in the last year or two, a character in my password became forbidden, and only worked in some GFWL client I had to manually download, or something like that, took me forever to figure out the magic tool or whatever I needed to change it).

Remfin

It isn't invisible when an updated version (required by another game) is not compatible with your game any longer and you can no longer run it since it instantly causes the game to crash as soon as the bar attempts to load (hi, Dirt3!)

Blizzard

Banned
It isn't invisible when an updated version (required by another game) is not compatible with your game any longer and you can no longer run it since it instantly causes the game to crash as soon as the bar attempts to load (hi, Dirt3!)
Oh right, I think that sort of thing happens with PhysX versions too. It's infuriatingly confusing because you have to figure out that, for people who played something like Mass Effect on their PC, some -other- game like Mafia 2 becomes broken. Or whatever combination. I think there's at least a way to get it working with all games though, if you manually update things...but it's been a long time so I don't remember exactly.

Assuming it accepts your key (Steam and Securom did, Arkham City didn't for me), assuming the client doesn't corrupt in an update, assuming your save files don't corrupt or vanish in an update, assuming you don't get stuck in an update loop, cos we all know GFWL is this flawless service, that's never without issue, never obtrusive or problematic. It's practically invisible, right.

I don't see the issue with the capped framerate so long as it doesn't dip and the locked rendering resolution is more puzzling than concerning. I'd be willing to overlook the technical shortcomings of Dark Souls because it's a great game, and I'd likely buy it for the same reason I bought Binary Domain at launch, I want more Japanese games on PC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GFWL isn't invisible if you get corrupted saves (Batman), or go back and try to play a Steam game (happened to me with SFIV) and spend an hour or two trying to figure out why your account doesn't work (apparently something changed in the last year or two, a character in my password became forbidden, and only worked in some GFWL client I had to manually download, or something like that, took me forever to figure out the magic tool or whatever I needed to change it).
There are ways to remove GFWL from your SP experience. But the framerate and resolution locks in Dark Souls could be permanent, for all we know.

What's happening New Thread?

I finished The Tiny Bang Story on Sunday. I typically don't go for hidden object games, but the game has really pleasing art and some fantastic music. The music is probably what made me power through it yesterday. Listen to this sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m50UAK2LlKs

Worth picking up on the cheap during a sale. Also it made me want a full fledged jigsaw puzzle game with unique shaped pieces, so it's not just throwing a jpeg on the same pattern over and over.

Oh and make it co-op, and put a nice soundtrack in the background.

HoosTrax

I finished The Tiny Bang Story on Sunday. I typically don't go for hidden object games, but the game has really pleasing art and some fantastic music. The music is probably what made me power through it yesterday. Listen to this sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m50UAK2LlKs

Worth picking up on the cheap during a sale. Also it made me want a full fledged jigsaw puzzle game with unique shaped pieces, so it's not just throwing a jpeg on the same pattern over and over.

Everytime I want to buy that game, I end up getting turned off by the stolen art assets controversy.

Everytime I want to buy that game, I end up getting turned off by the stolen art assets controversy.

Oh man, that's a cruddy situation. Though I do have to say the human artwork always turned me off. The style of the main kid character just didn't appeal to me at all.

The worlds are pretty great though. Shame the game's artist ripped that dude off though.

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise last year. Incredibly charming and the aesthetics reminded me a bit of Machinarium.

Do you know the developers put an interactive book called How Tom Recovered Time on the Appstore? It's only for iPad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/how-tom-recovered-time/id501067923?mt=8

It expands on the story but I think it's directed more towards children. Still, worth a look probably.

Getting around to my backlog, decided to fire up Dragon age Orgins...

10 hrs in and........what's the key to enjoying this game? Combat is awful as a warrior, attacks have no umph to them and 11 on 4 battles are a mess and not fun, story is boring so far, characters are all squares........sigh

Turn down the difficulty for starters. This will let you brute force through the combat if you're not enjoying it. Keep swapping different characters into your party because their banter is genuinely amusing at times. Skip the sidequests that have you doing truly stupid shit (like delivering pink slips across the kingdom). The main story is utterly predictable, so the only real appeal are the characters.

burgerdog

Do you still get achievements if steam is down? Pretty lame reason not to play, but if that's the case, I did get screwed out of a few items in DS2 because I didn't get credit for beating DS1(achievement didn't unlock.)

nm it's back up it seems.

Do you still get achievements if steam is down? Pretty lame reason not to play, but if that's the case, I did get screwed out of a few items in DS2 because I didn't get credit for beating DS1(achievement didn't unlock.)

nm it's back up it seems.

Oh shit, should I have not gotten to the end boss and just youtubed the ending?

Is there a way to prevent Steam from fucking opening a damn window/tab and automatically bringing you to their website every time a game "Fails to find Steam"? It gets really, really annoying.

Nabs

Damn, someone just created a Just Cause 2 plugin for Mumble. It adds 3D Voice Chat (Positional Audio), which can be cool if configured correctly on your end.

1-D_FTW

Is that universal to everyone, or just the shitty ass Codemasters' DX11 crash bug that bothers many? Have you tried going to the config and changing DX9=true? That would solve the issue if you're just getting bit really hard by the bug. And, yes, I know it sounds weird to attribute this to GFWL, but the crash bug doesn't occur if you don't log into GFWL. So I do blame it (though my current PC build seems to be immune from the problem *knock on wood*).

Giard

Ok, people help me plz.

The Guild 2. Good? Its 75% off.

Never played it.

What is it like?

Here's what I said about it earlier on:

I haven't played Anno, but it doesn't really resemble Fable at all. It's a lot more complicated, and there's tons of micromanagement, especially if you decide to go in politics.

You have to create a character and choose what profession he/she will have: patron (farms, inns), craftsman (blacksmith, mines, woodcutting), scholar (hospital owner, church) or rogue (thief, bandit). You can hire people to help you with your job, you can get into a relationship (if you have a kid and you are killed, you won't be eliminated from the game). You can also get special benefits if you try to go into politics, such as arresting people or having immunity. You can sue people if you see them doing a crime, bribe them... there's really lots to do. If she doesn't like micromanagement, the game is not for her.

There's lots of "euro-jank" and it's kinda buggy, but for the price, I easily recommend it. Only get Renaissance if you decide to buy it, as it includes everything from the previous games.

edit: kinda beaten :p
Check out Kabouter's impressions too.

Gav47

fuck. Uninstalled Steam and and during reinstallation wipe-out my renamed steamapps folder

I know your pain, deleted like 700GB of data once. Try a recovery program like Recuva

Edit: now that i've thought about it Recuva was useless at the time because it didn't restore the file system only the files themselves, I ended up using GetDataBack

So I snagged the Dead Space pack just now for $9.99. Amazing deal, but wondering how much better is on PC Visually than PS3. I played the console one for an hour before stopping it. I figured I made a good purchase. I have no idea about DS1 as I haven't even played it before.

So I snagged the Dead Space pack just now for $9.99. Amazing deal, but wondering how much better is on PC Visually than PS3. I played the console one for an hour before stopping it. I figured I made a good purchase. I have no idea about DS1 as I haven't even played it before.

There's only one way to find out bro.

ShaneB

I love the art style for Tower Wars. I've just never been a huge tower defense fan, but it's a possible purchase when it's on sale I think.

edit: reading the description, maybe it's just not straight up tower defense. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom